• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

I need a new cheap TV/PC monitor so bad. But everywhere I look I'm spending over 100 bucks.

I used to have this 8-year-old Polaroid but it's dying on me.

What do y'all suggest?

nded

What sort of resources should V-Cancel use? I was thinking 1 V-bar, but then many characters with V-Triggers used almost exclusively for cancels (Ryu and Laura come to mind) would just never use their VT because VC is just a much better option. That also gives characters with 3-bar VTs a much bigger advantage than even having 3 VR's gave them.

Maybe 1 V-bar and 1 EX bar would be a good cost? It's a decently high cost to encourage conservative use, and it dilutes the big advantage 3-bars get over 2-bars.

I was thinking maybe selecting the V-Cancel mode would also enable special cancels for V-triggers across the board. You can choose to extend the combo for one bar at an opportune moment or wait until the V-Gauge is full for maximum damage/combo potential. Naturally how this plays out will depend on the character and how much benefit they gain from being able to more easily combo into their V-Trigger.

Conversely, selecting V-Reversal mode would disable special cancels for V-Trigger even for those characters that had it before. Maybe buff the V-Reversal itself somehow; hit faster, control direction or whatever depending on the character. I was also thinking about allowing V-Trigger activation while blocking. This will sort of function like a burst for characters with attack triggers, but for install triggers you'd get a few i-frames to retaliate. Ken's would look really weird though.

Just my armchair dev thoughts.

Pompadour

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball:_Zenkai_Battle
Looks like it came out in 2011 not 2010, still way before SFxT.

That's what I thought. That was an arcade game that got a console release in 2015. I could be wrong but they wouldn't need GGPO in an arcade so it seems they got that netcode 3 years after SFxT released.

Edit: Actually, maybe it didn't get a console release. This wiki is confusing.

Anyway, I'm wrong. It got GGPO on release regardless.

Sayad

wow...This guys Ray Ray on CFN chun is friggin annoying! He presses her lk on wakeup like every time! Ungghh...I wish my offline timing was good enough online. I should be stuffing these 3 frame jabs!

Unghh....
Dude beat Daigo in SFV(season 1) at a tournament once last year, he's pretty good. Probably noticed that you're not getting your meaty timing right and went ham.

His stomps really really suck. I had an Abigail anti air my stomp with a s.lk, which btw is a normal s.lk, clearly not designed for antiair-ing like Chun's is. It's fine if they don't cross-up, but jesus could you widen the hitbox on that thing a little bit?

Also, giving Alex's j.d.HP a reason to exist would be nice. I exclusively use it to escape corner situations, but that doesn't work well at all against taller characters.
I laugh every time a mashy Abigail knocks me out of stomp whenever I try a close range stomp reset. No other character mashes their way out of those at close range like Abigail does. His normal range is insane.. Now j df.HP is a mixed bag. In 3S it was missing combo potential, but now leads to stuff. Unfortunately Capcom took away the ability cancel into it from a wide range of his jump arc (and neutral jumps), so it is far more predictable and less useful for getting out of the corner. I'd like to see that and a better hitbox for a jump in buff. The move is horrifically unsafe if it whiffs or gets blocked, so it may as well be buffed along with other jump ins in general.

Marvel

could never
Anything with like 1ms of input lag is great, most modern LG's are good to go. I need to buy one myself actually, old one got dropped down the stairs last year lol.

Sayad

That's what I thought. That was an arcade game that got a console release in 2015. I could be wrong but they wouldn't need GGPO in an arcade so it seems they got that netcode 3 years after SFxT released.
Nah, it has online play in the arcade version too(like Tekken 7). When they announced that it will be using GGPO it wasn't even announced for home consoles yet:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414225

Anything with like 1ms of input lag is great, most modern LG's are good to go. I need to buy one myself actually, old one got dropped down the stairs last year lol.
Yea, even if you're going for BENQ monitors, they have models that are great for gaming and still under $200, though you might have to sacrifice res.

Ahh I found one for like 84. I'll just take the hit. I only have one TV so it makes it a little difficult to work on stuff AND practice.

I need a new cheap TV/PC monitor so bad. But everywhere I look I'm spending over 100 bucks.

I used to have this 8-year-old Polaroid but it's dying on me.

What do y'all suggest?

if you can stretch that $100 to $130 those old 2010 evo monitors would be in your price range (asus vh236h)

Wait, you mean you guys AREN'T playing on monitors but old ass TVs?

Jesus I can't even imagine playing FGs on anything that isn't a monitor (at least for a home setup)
Dude beat Daigo in SFV(season 1) at a tournament once last year, he's pretty good. Probably noticed that you're not getting your meaty timing right and went ham.
S1 Daigo was washed up Daigo.

Yeah he's definitely strong..he whoops me more often than not, just wanted to get him to stop pressing buttons lol

MrCarter

Ahhh that new thread freshness. Great OP again Reizo.

Was on holidays recently and only just caught up on the SFV dramatics on Gaf and Kappa. James Chen really did go in hard on the cesspool that is r/Kappa and it was great to see coming from someone like him. He was right - incessant hating is not the way to go.

sometimes you gotta ex DP on their wakeup to prove a point

The few times I've played Ken, it's like something happens to my brain. I start randomly air tatsuing, EX DPing on my wakeup, on THEIR wakeup, during resets, I randomly do heavy tatsu.

That character is cursed.

Marvel

could never
cool. Thanks.

I want a 4K, but input lag is my biggest holdup. That and my old LED DLP is still kicking with great colors, and input lag that I haven't really noticed.
No worries xD I bought it based on Rtings review for gaming and HDR. I do hoewever still plan on getting a monitor soon.

mbpm1

I feel like playing Laura. Is this good or bad

Was on holidays recently and only just caught up on the SFV dramatics on Gaf and Kappa. James Chen really did go in hard on the cesspool that is r/Kappa and it was great to see coming from someone like him. He was right - incessant hating is not the way to go.
If that's what you want to take away from it, sure.

the_shill_among_us_by_lulzwillensue-d9jo0y9.png

The few times I've played Ken, it's like something happens to my brain. I start randomly air tatsuing, EX DPing on my wakeup, on THEIR wakeup, during resets, I randomly do heavy tatsu.

That character is cursed.

I used to hit so many people with ultra's on their wakeup in 4.

gotta time it just right so they have enough time to get a crouch tech out or backdash then BOP

the hardest of reads

I feel like playing Laura. Is this good or bad

kolin already OP tho

mbpm1

I used to hit so many people with ultra's on their wakeup in 4.

gotta time it just right so they have enough time to get a crouch tech out or backdash then BOP

the hardest of reads
You use healing on their wake up? Sounds like what elenas usually do Kappa

I was gonna write a big long article and post it up on a website, but I'll just shit it out here.

I read through Kappa's response. Well, the first dozen or so top posts and such. And I do agree with some parts of what they said, and I do agree with some of Chen's commentary about going a little too hard.

But man, some of the people on there just don't get it. They want Haunts and Combofiend to talk to them, but who would ever spend time trying to have a conversation on Kappa? Too many of them would go crazy with memes instead of well thought out posts. It's a feeding frenzy that Capcom avoids. I don't think any other developer does this. Tekken, for example, doesn't have its employees going on there to explain the lag disparities, or GG's busted online in parts. Those games didn't fuck up like Capcom's SFV did, but they certainly deserve some of that heat Kappa wants to apply.

A few people were asking for John D. to get fired. For what? Saying some memes and being too ambiguous about DPs? That's crazy to me. According to him, he got some heat for it at Capcom HQ, but people have been fired for much more deserving things.

I get that they, or at least some of them, want SFV to be better. And I think tons of people want that. But it's hard to suss out the shitflinging from the actual complaints. And you can't ask the moderation to do it. What does Capcom have to gain by gracing them with its presence? Instead, the company should just work on making things better as an overall PR image and upping their communication, and if Kappa wants that same respect, they need to earn it as well. But every time I enter that website, it's straight up shitposting and maybe 4 percent video games sometimes.

That isn't to say there aren't people on there who AREN'T shit heads and there aren't times where that site isn't a cesspit. And labeling all of them as garbage is extreme, because they are still part of the community. I just wish their image was better, in addition to wishing them to focus on games they actually like instead of resorting to simplistic shitposting or weird standards.

MrCarter

He was right though - the toxicity and incessant hating is simply leading to nowhere and just making them look worse. Also, opinions. How do they work?

I was gonna write a big long article and post it up on a website, but I'll just shit it out here.

I read through Kappa's response. Well, the first dozen or so top posts and such. And I do agree with some parts of what they said, and I do agree with some of Chen's commentary about going a little too hard.

But man, some of the people on there just don't get it. They want Haunts and Combofiend to talk to them, but who would ever spend time trying to have a conversation on Kappa? Too many of them would go crazy with memes instead of well thought out posts. It's a feeding frenzy that Capcom avoids. I don't think any other developer does this. Tekken, for example, doesn't have its employees going on there to explain the lag disparities, or GG's busted online in parts. Those games didn't fuck up like Capcom's SFV did, but they certainly deserve some of that heat Kappa wants to apply.

A few people were asking for John D. to get fired. For what? Saying some memes and being too ambiguous about DPs? That's crazy to me. According to him, he got some heat for it at Capcom HQ, but people have been fired for much more deserving things.

I get that they, or at least some of them, want SFV to be better. And I think tons of people want that. But it's hard to suss out the shitflinging from the actual complaints. And you can't ask the moderation to do it. What does Capcom have to gain by gracing them with its presence? Instead, the company should just work on making things better as an overall PR image and upping their communication, and if Kappa wants that same respect, they need to earn it as well. But every time I enter that website, it's straight up shitposting and maybe 4 percent video games sometimes.

I think, like James said, it's best to ignore Kappa all together as nobody takes it seriously. Especially not after he, a notable figure in the FGC, literally dropped a nuclear bomb on them. I get they want SFV to do better and so does Chen but the constant empty rhetoric on there is awful.

He said it best:

https://clips.twitch.tv/MuddyAssiduousFiddleheadsWOOP

jett

D-Member
Kappa is a cesspool. Go Chen go!

God i hate how lazy Capcom is with Abigail hitbox,they did the same fucking thing with Hugo, Abigail crouching is taller than Ryu standing, yet many high normals miss him, similar to how Sagat high Fireball went straight through Hugo's head when he was crouching...

I cut off the top of pic to remove my shameful rank lol

20170804104509_1kmsbh.jpg

lol this shit is just bad , Ryu's St HK misses, his spin kicks does, i need to go through the roster and see how much shit misses...

What kind of game do you think are playing? Hitboxes have to abide by the rules of the game's design. Abigail would be a broken mess of character if crouching didn't work the way it does with other characters. it doesn't matter how tall he is.

mbpm1

That isn't to say there aren't people on there who AREN'T shit heads and there aren't times where that site isn't a cesspit. And labeling all of them as garbage is extreme, because they are still part of the community. I just wish their image was better, in addition to wishing them to focus on games they actually like instead of resorting to simplistic shitposting or weird standards.
It's really easy to sort out for me. If they had any sort of dialogue it's as you said it, the posts that do have some form of logic or logically expressed emotions? Those are the top posts that get upvoted. Everything else? Repeats of those things or shitposting.

All they would have to do were to say something to those.

But this is beside the point. Capcom shouldn't have to go there to address points that are commonly expressed in places like r/sf, or here or in locals, as well. They are fully capable of getting that feedback bc it's everywhere and they have twitter accounts and websites to make their own statements.

The reason they don't? They're incapable of stating anything bc they haven't been able to address those problems satisfactorily or they don't care or want to.

Also really whenever he's opened his mouth outside of general announcements john d has brought no good or and a lot of bad or. He doesn't need firing, but he needs to stop talking or try a different tack.

Top Bottom