• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

Shikoro

Did everyone skip over this comment? What do you mean? Have you seen them both?
Nope, we didn't, but a few people have already been saying trollish comments like that one that people started ignoring them. I guess...

Mark my words, the PS4 will be at least a 2.5+ TFLOPS system. :)

Daante

The “ultimate goal” for the hardware, we were told, is for it to be able to run 1080p60 games in 3D with “no problem,” to create a machine that’s powerful enough for “today and tomorrow’s market”.

You know this is really REALLY NICE TO HEAR!. If its true i think Sony makes the right move (if they can keep the price affordable to the mass market once it launch)

Imagine that type of machine with devs optimizing for the box, Killzone 4, Uncharted 4, God of War, on their own next engine in 1080p/60 FPS.

**INSERT YES PLEASE GIF**

cakefoo

The “ultimate goal” for the hardware, we were told, is for it to be able to run 1080p60 games in 3D with “no problem,”
Excellent news. 3D's great, especially in gaming, but to truly take off developers need to not only take artistic advantage of stereo 3D, but also to be able to run their games at stable framerates AND in native 720p or higher. I'd be fine if the AAA games all ran in pseudo/full 1080p 2D and 1280x720p 3D. I think that's a realistic expectation.

thuway

You know this is really REALLY NICE TO HEAR!. If its true i think Sony makes the right move (if they can keep the price affordable to the mass market once it launch)

Imagine that type of machine with devs optimizing for the box, Killzone 4, Uncharted 4, God of War, on their own next engine in 1080p/60 FPS.

I would rather they just opt for a modified 1080p (like GT5), and have an unlocked framerate. The rest should be used for better effects, shaders, and physics.

Mrbob

No kidding, but joke or not, I doubt we'll hear more. I'm really curious although remain skeptical obviously. That's quite the difference which makes it hard to believe.

I do think Sony will have the more powerful machine and it will come down to their first party studios to show it. Sony might not make the same mistakes as they did with the PS3, but that doesn't mean they still won't put out a powerful machine for its time. I think they're just smarter in how the approach it so developers won't have trouble.

Well with the PS4 3rd parties shouldn't have much to complain about. The design of the system will be very familiar to what they are used too now. PS4 optimization should be much smoother from 3rd parties than PS3 ever was.

Guarantee within a few years of release developers will take liberty with both the resolution and framerate to achieve certain graphical advancements. Happens every generation- once you've know the hardware well and have used up the majority of coding improvements it is the best way to squeeze more out of systems.

Could a comprise be using another 16:9 ratio resolution though, rather than jumping straight from 1080p to 720p? 1600x900?

Regardless things sound promising, though it would be a megaton if the Playstation brand was dropped.

Grim1ock

Banned
This report sounds like a totally made up hoax. The fact that it says it's not made in japan gave it away.

And after the remarkable turnaround for sony's camera and digital imaging divisions i doubt they will throw away all their in house engineering and design skills away. No chance.

There's two certainities in next generation playstation. A blu ray drive and an in house Trademarked owned CPU

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just want to say that the 1080p/3D/60fps quote is bullshit. HDMI specs can't even support that. It may mean that 1080p and 60fps are being focused on so that a 30fps 3D mode can exist without any other compromises but I just can't see 60fps being a key focus coming from the business side.

demolitio

Well with the PS4 3rd parties shouldn't have much to complain about. The design of the system will be very familiar to what they are used too now. PS4 optimization should be much smoother from 3rd parties than PS3 ever was.

Exactly. And because of them focusing on that, some people thought it wouldn't be as powerful. I think it works out a lot better this way for all parties.

I was more talking about how the first parties would have to be the ones to really show that it's more powerful than the competition (if it is) which is something they've done with the PS3 thanks to the internal help and understanding the platform. I wonder if there's really a noticeable difference between the next Xbox and the PS4, whatever way it may go, if third party devs would add more to the stronger console like maybe better AA or higher resolution if need be.

I'm a sucker for new technology so I can't wait to see the new consoles. It sucks being unemployed and broke with medical bills and also being a tech lover. It's impossible to pull it off, lol.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I just want to say that the 1080p/3D/60fps quote is bullshit. HDMI specs can't even support that. It may mean that 1080p and 60fps are being focused on so that a 30fps 3D mode can exist without any other compromises but I just can't see 60fps being a key focus coming from the business side.

Wwiqk.png

Nope. Completely capable.

Not sure but the only thing missing here is the 3d part but the specs there are 3 years old.

DBT85

While it's nice to hear that that is Sony's target, I don't doubt that the majority of games will run at 30fps locked rather than 60 and that many won't be 1080. Why try and push 124m pixels a second when you can push either 72m or even just 27m and have lots more effects and other visual stuff.

I hope more games at least feature a 1080 UI/overlay though.

I look forward to it, I wonder if they'll keep the DS3 or even allow it to be compatible.

Mxrz

apu with a chance of a dedicated gpu too?
4gb with a good shot at 8gb?
Dedicated optical & harddrive?

I'm pleased. And yeah, this time last year a lot of 'experts' were flipping out at people who expected anything more than 2gb next gen. Also all the ones saying Orbis & Durango wouldn't be a leap over the WiiU.

60fps still won't be universal. Developers will almost always dial up effects while settling for 30fps.

demolitio

apu with a chance of a dedicated gpu too?

60fps still won't be universal. Developers will almost always dial up effects while settling for 30fps.

Agreed. There will be more 60 FPS games next generation I'm sure, but a lot of developers will just throw more effects on screen instead.

HDMI 1.4a does support 1080P/60fps but requires 300Mhz HDMI chips. Only a few really high end GPUs feature this but it would be surprising if the PS4 wasn't included.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nope, I mean in 3D (sorry, I thought that was implied). I can't link it now but search for the 1.4a spec and you'll find it there. It's frame packed as a 2160P resolution IIRC.

Oh damn, I've been mistaken for a few years then. Shit. I'm usually up to date on display tech.

onQ123

Sony has a new monitor that can accept 4k 60FPS over 1 HDMI from their 4K camera.

Supporting 4096x2160/24p and 3840x2160/24,25,30p* with one single HDMI cable. The PVM-X300 is also equipped with a unique feature of evaluating video signal of 4096x2160/60p with one single HDMI cable when connected to Sony’s new PMW-F55 4K camera system.

http://pro.sony-asia.com/pressrelease/asset/522430/section/broadcastreleases

TheD

The Detective
On-board and APU graphics are mostly limited by memory and memory bandwidth... Game consoles won't have that issue.

That's not necessarily true... Even an unmodified A10 will output at 1080p if you give it a large enough (and fast enough) amount of ram. Remember, it's very unlikely that the PS4 would be running on standard DDR3 memory... Couple the A10 with memory more akin to GDDR5 and you'll get a lot better results than any PC version could (which shares it's memory and bus with general computing tasks on a DDR3 bus)

That is incorrect.

Dual channel DDR3 1866 or 2133 is about enough to remove any memory bottleneck from a A10 5800K.

Rendering res is way, way more than just memory bandwidth.

Is no one questioning the legitimacy of this? I mean, it's another VG247 rumor about a next generation console and its specs...

Welcome to neogaf.

A10 can run Crysis 2, 1080p, max settings at 33fps. If this is just a starting point I can only imagine where Sony is going with the next few iterations of the dev kits.

You are clueless!
The A10 is not even close to being fast enough to run Crysis 2 at max in 1080P!
At "high" settings (which are the lowest settings in game) it gets 18FPS at 1080P!
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/878-11/amd-a10-5800k-a8-5600k-apu-desktop-deuxieme.html

Sounds like the launch price will be 399$/€. Maybe 35k yen in Japan because of strong yen (like Nintendo will do with Wii U)
For the low end SKU, yes. For the premium version that draws a profit and makes up 80% of launch shipments, expect 50-100 more in your currency of choice.

DieH@rd

Banned
Jeff_Rigby whats your take on all of this?

Jeff's world is crashing down because DP and HDMI pass trough are not in.

As for A10, this is a very important chart, expacially if they expand GPU in console part and prepare good memory arhitecture.
amdvirgoreviewreviewsshj5g.png

That's just marketing talk.

You can make 1080p60fps games on the current HD consoles but Publishers/Developers aim for lower resolutions and framerates to achieve more complex games. Even on PC, you only get high resolutions and framerates if the game isn't really pushing your system otherwise.

Next gen consoles will be far more capable than current systems so the standard could be raised, but there will still be trade-offs.

B.O.O.M

About the it's not gonna be made in Japan bit, could this be related to Sony starting production on new home consoles in Brazil? I believe they have been making ps2s there but are about to start making ps3s as well. Who knows maybe PS4 is also part of their future plans.

i-Lo

..... meh

Either next gen we'll see a great shift in processing tasks being handed over to GPU or PS4 (if the GPU is also as average as A10) is pretty disadvantaged.

At least RAM (and the only thing) that is looking adequate at this point.

1080p60fps 3D... gah.. just like they said 1080p300fps this gen. Yea... I don't believe that BS. More importantly, if it is indeed capable of running optimized piece of software at that res and framerate, it makes me wonder just what devs might pull off with 720p30fps....

Leckan

The “ultimate goal” for the hardware, we were told, is for it to be able to run 1080p60 games in 3D with “no problem,” to create a machine that’s powerful enough for “today and tomorrow’s market”.

10 bucks most 'AAA' developers will still have their games around 30 fps with sub 1080P res.

DieH@rd

Banned
Hmmm fresh rumours... they feel so good.

Good times in console land...

We know basic APU configurations for both x720 and ps4, but dedicated GPUs and RAM configurations are still big unknowns. By GDC we will know more, and @ E3 we will know it all.

Cant wait.

Reiko

Banned
..... meh

Either next gen we'll see a great shift in processing tasks being handed over to GPU or PS4 (if the GPU is also as average as A10) is pretty disadvantaged.

At least RAM (and the only thing) that is looking adequate at this point.

1080p60fps 3D... gah.. just like they said 1080p300fps this gen. Yea... I don't believe that BS. More importantly, if it is indeed capable of running optimized piece of software at that res and framerate, it makes me wonder just what devs might pull off with 720p30fps....

At least we can say goodbye to pop in.

Mr Swine

Banned
So is the PS4 only going to have a APU from Amd or have that with a real meaty GPU? Also won't the GPU in the APU be severely hindered by the CPU since it will be a big bottleneck or is it different since its on a console?

flattie

I look forward to it, I wonder if they'll keep the DS3 or even allow it to be compatible.

This is an interesting point for me too. I think the foundations are fundamentally sound, but would like to see improvements to the physical characteristics of the sticks and shoulder buttons. Something more nimble and precise for the former and a concave grip for the latter. I actually really like the sticks on the Vita and would like to see a variation of those on the next DS controller.

I also hope they keep the gyro capabilities but make better use of them. On the Vita (again), I loved the control mechanic which allowed you to control the course movement of your camera/aim via the sticks, followed by use of motion to achieve fine control once you were in the general area. I think this is a fantastic implementation and am sorry not to see it used on DS3 games.

The last thing I want to see is a LCD planted between the sticks. They need to set their own agenda, which is when the PlayStation brand is at its absolute strongest. When they follow the lead of others, the results are usually tepid at best.

i-Lo

At least we can say goodbye to pop in.

Like a certain US politician, I'm doing a lot of flip flopping. Right now, I am in the mood to berate Sony. I wonder if their culturally ancient way of making decisions (everything needs to flow through Japan for permission) will be detrimental to their launch performance? To give it a bit of context, there are rumours that MS may try the rent to own or instalment option for XB3 when it arrives. This would negate the sales impact of a high price tag (if it is pricey). I wonder if Sony was lttp and decided they are better of selling an average HW at a lower retail price outright. Because we all know, doing the more efficient thing for Sony takes time, a long time. Sony's dinosaur of an internal management lacks the same pace as MS when it comes to acquiring timed exclusives, dev tool kits improvement, etc. It's like a giant bureaucracy wrapped in red tapes. I don't if it's the same story now, but I remember it being like that for a very long time.

And then again, my argument of XB3 selling better than PS4 is predicated on a few assumptions:

1. Better HW
2. Earlier launch
3. Similar price (if 1 is still true)
4. Is lower priced
5. Is higher priced but with rent to own or instalment options implemented through various retailers. (As aforementioned, I'd expect Sony do the same but ... it's Sony).

StevieP was right. It does feel like a better investment to go for PC next gen. If it weren't for ND, Sucker Punch, SSM and PD, I'd not even be considering PS4.

It's like some people think Sony just going to use the A10 and call it a day .
None of those PC benchmarks mean anything even if all they use is a APU .

TheD

The Detective

That video does not show the game being played at ultra, the description is also a flat out lie.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/AMD-A10-5800K-Performance-Preview-Trinity-Desktop

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/trinity-gaming-performance,3304-7.html

you can't directly compare it on PCs for PS4 performance (if it does use this chip) because PS4 will have MUCH better memory bandwidth not being tethered to standard DDR3.

It does not matter!

The 5800K can only make effective use of so much bandwidth, Which it happens to hit the limit of with standard DDR3!

Top Bottom