• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Before playing RE6, know these mechanics since Capcom don't teach poop

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I dont really give a shit about RE6, i just want to know who this guy is. If there was an award for stereotypical man-child video game "journalist" this guy would win, hands down

He does a very good job of looking like a 15 year old trying desperately to look drinking age.

It doesn't have bad controls. Complex? YES. Bad? NO

I'm talking Vanquish quality of awesome when you get the hang of it.

No, it's bad because everything in video games should be easy to grasp, and nothing should be complexity. Complexity is the devil's word.

GAF usually loves it when games are dumbed down for more casual audiences! Everyone can play!

Exactly! This way, even blithering idiots can play it! The sign of truly evolved game design.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
GAF-Games explain to much
GAF-Games don't explain enough

Nobody wins

If the information is available somewhere in the box or in the game in some fashion, that's fine. RE6 has no manual, though.

I haven't played the game yet, though. Is there a key binding list in the menus? If so, all of these complaints are moot.

Jawmuncher

If the information is available somewhere in the box or in the game in some fashion, that's fine. RE6 has no manual, though.

I haven't played the game yet, though. Is there a key binding list in the menus? If so, all of these complaints are moot.

I know the PAL regions had a manual from what I have read.
Also there is a controller splash screen that does tell you a lot of the combinations when loading the game.

I just want to go on record and say, for the most part I learned everything about combat from playing myself! I didn't need a manual, or someone to hold my hand. I played the game and experimented. You know, like back in the NES days. :D I had a few things pointed out to me I didn't know but overall I figured out most of this on my own. I'm not sure if I should just think I'm smarter then the majority of gamers, or that people are just much slower when it comes to figuring things out for themselves. No offense it just blows my mind how some people have no idea and didn't experiment whatsoever.

LTWheels

EU version does NOT have a manual. It just has a page cut out with the BASIC controls. Nothing like the stuff mentioned in this thread.

Jawmuncher

EU version does NOT have a manual. It just has a page cut out with the BASIC controls. Nothing like the stuff mentioned in this thread.

Well then nevermind looks like capcom fucked up adding a manual worldwide.
Damn shame becuase RE5 had a very informative manual.

Europe I presume? Well, maybe it really didn't matter and in this case it's more they needed in-game documentation.

Also, I'm reminded of how rare it is to see games with a proper tutorial section now. I don't mean having a tutorial at all, I mean something you select on the main screen and go through. Much rather have that then being forced into it in-game, but I guess too many idiots ignored it, and admittedly there IS something to be said about making a game organically teach you things.

Yeah, a comprehensive in-game manual would have been nice.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I just want to go on record and say, for the most part I learned everything about combat from playing myself! I didn't need a manual, or someone to hold my hand. I played the game and experimented. You know, like back in the NES days. :D I had a few things pointed out to me I didn't know but overall I figured out most of this on my own. I'm not sure if I should just think I'm smarter then the majority of gamers, or that people are just much slower when it comes to figuring things out for themselves. No offense it just blows my mind how some people have no idea and didn't experiment whatsoever.

Modern game design has pretty much standardise the tutorial stage, or at least let the beginning of the game explain at least the basic controls, either directly or subtly. This is not a negative, and the fact that RE6 seems to have failed at that is a failing of the game. Also this is not a "Hngg rrrgh I want games to hold my hand graaaah", so don't pull that strawman from it. It's perfectly valid to want the game to at least teach you the basic mechanics. It doesn't even have to be comprehensive or take that long really, especially with mechanics as dense (well, for a TPS) as RE6 seems to have.

Daigoro

same. the controls are atually pretty intuitive. there are a few more advanced things i didnt learn until a few hours in (like rolling/sliding into a reverse roll/slide), but its not like it was hard to get the basics down.

i learned the basics from one run through the demo. there is a learning curve, but the basics (shooting, rolling, healing) are not hard to grasp after a few minutes.

it does take a bit of practice to get good at utilizing the controls available though. thats really the learning curve, and thats one of the things i appreciate about the depth of the controls.

i agree an ingame manual should have been there though. makes no sense that there isnt one.

amar212

To all interested, I have created a PDF file out of OP guides.

You can grab it here in US superior Letter format:
http://issuu.com/gtsurgeons/docs/resident_evil_6_advanced_controls_guide_

Preview:

23Csu.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Same here. There were a few functions that I was not initially aware of (fast recovery from being knocked down as well as specifying a target for the AI) but most of it was pretty intuitive. It's not as if you're being asked to input some sort of obscure button combination here. It's all pretty straightforward. The real learning curve comes from figuring out when and where to use these moves (as it should be). The fact that people have come to rely on games EXPLAINING in great detail how everything works is somewhat frustrating. RE6 has re-kindled my love of learning a game like this. It may be linear and cinematic, but there's a lot to figure out and you can actually get better at playing the game (beyond simply aiming faster). It's a very rewarding system.

Honestly, even as recent as the PS2 era did we have games like this that never took the time to explain the intricacies of the systems. Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, for instance, are full of high level play mechanics that are never explained to the player. Same deal for games like Devil May Cry and even more recently Vanquish (which people keep mentioning). These games do NOT spell out how to play the game. Like RE6, you can play through most of them on an easier difficulty without taking full advantage of you moveset but you'll have a hell of a lot more fun once you begin to do so.

dark10x

They don't tell you this in the game? This is actually making the game sound interesting.

Goddamnit Capcom.
Exactly.

If you watch a number of video reviews you can also very clearly see that most reviewers never actually attempted to learn the game either.

Neiteio

They don't tell you this in the game? This is actually making the game sound interesting.

Goddamnit Capcom.
Nope, they're not explained in-game, and some reviewers didn't even know you could do the basic act of rolling out of harm's way, an essential mechanic, until like 15 hours into the game. Like I said before, the game should've had a tutorial. I just hope the OP (and now the PDF someone made out of it) will help people learn some of the mechanics at the heart of why the game is so fun. Most people will probably figure out most of these tricks on their own through experimentation, but the OP is there just in case, and to shine a light on some of the more advanced tricks as well. :)

Midou

Exactly.

If you watch a number of video reviews you can also very clearly see that most reviewers never actually attempted to learn the game either.

Honestly, controls did not seem to be the only problem with the game, from the reviews I've read..

Honestly, controls did not seem to be the only problem with the game, from the reviews I've read..

Some sections will probably be more frustrating than they have to be if you don't know all the moves.

But, the main problem for me so far (I've only played 2 chapters with Leon), is that the camera focus on other stuff all the time and removes the controls from you, and then when you regain control you'll sometimes end up getting grabbed by a zombie. That's annoying and, afaik, there is nothing you can do about it.

Neiteio

There are certainly other aspects of the game that can be polarizing (and that improve in time, imo, like a QTE that at first seems random and frustrating), but many of the supposed issues with pacing and such disappear with simple knowledge of the mechanics, because then you're working with the game rather than feeling like the game is working against you. In other words, the enemy encounters and such become so much fun when you learn the tools at your disposal, around which the enemy abilities and tendencies been designed. :)

omonimo

Banned
I have replayed the demo yesterday, following the suggestion of someone with playing it more just to train myself with the system controls & the camera setting. Jeez I can't believe someone find those controls & the camera ok or fine, even just for a second: a fucking disaster from my point of view. I'm completely unable to play it without feel like a gun in my assh@le.

dark10x

Let's take a look at Brad's review on Giant Bomb. If you read over the entire review you'll find that his complaints can be boiled down into three main things;

1) His inability to cope with the controls and combat which he blames entirely on the game
2) His distaste for QTEs
3) His inability to react to changing situations

There's precious little else in the review which he complains about and almost all of it can be traced to the fact that he was dying a LOT, becoming frustrated with those deaths, and never became comfortable enough with the systems to avoid them. Nearly every negative review I've read used these complaints as the primary basis for a negative review.

I myself have experienced some of this upon first trying to play the game, but as you learn the mechanics and become proficient with handling encounters it actually changes the game completely. The game has a steep learning curve and I feel it rewards those who understand how to play.

This is how video games USED to be.

That said, for such a mainstream series, this kind of thing could actually prove quite damning. I love the way it plays, but gamers used to Call of Duty or Gears of War may find themselves just as frustrated.

Neiteio

I have replayed the demo yesterday, following the suggestion of someone with playing it more just to train myself with the system controls & the camera setting. Jeez I can't believe someone find those controls & the camera ok or fine, even just for a second: a fucking disaster from my point of view. I'm completely unable to play it without feel like a gun in my assh@le.
That's how I felt about the demo early on, but then it clicked. I'm not saying it'll click for you, but did you try dialing the camera down from 5 to 2, the aiming up from 5 to 7, and the brightness from 20 to 30? Did you try switching to laser sight? And I'd also encourage you to approach each situation slowly at first so you can assess the threat rather than running in and getting blindsided; once you see the enemy positions, then you can slide in for the kill. Finally, know that the camera changes slightly from scene to scene in terms of how close it is to your character; in some places it's closer to create more of a blind spot so you're paranoid about enemies, and in others it's farther back. Check out the Mercs video I added to the end of the OP -- it'll give you a good feel of the game's rhythm once it clicks. :)

omonimo

Banned
Let's take a look at Brad's review on Giant Bomb. If you read over the entire review you'll find that his complaints can be boiled down into three main things;

1) His inability to cope with the controls and combat which he blames entirely on the game
2) His distaste for QTEs
3) His inability to react to changing situations

There's precious little else in the review which he complains about and almost all of it can be traced to the fact that he was dying a LOT, becoming frustrated with those deaths, and never became comfortable enough with the systems to avoid them. Nearly every negative review I've read used these complaints as the primary basis for a negative review.

I myself have experienced some of this upon first trying to play the game, but as you learn the mechanics and become proficient with handling encounters it actually changes the game completely. The game has a steep learning curve and I feel it rewards those who understand how to play.

This is how video games USED to be.

That said, for such a mainstream series, this kind of thing could actually prove quite damning. I love the way it plays, but gamers used to Call of Duty or Gears of War may find themselves just as frustrated.

I beg to differ here. The system controls is horrible, end of the story. It has nothing to do to learning curve this mess. But if you & more others are available to 'waste' the time to setting the controls in the option menù & to train yourself in something bronke, it's ok but I can accept the claims this it's how used to be a game. I'm able to recognize broken/approximate controls to learning curve, it's almost 20 years I use to be a gamer.

dark10x

I beg to differ here. The system controls is horrible, end of the story. It has nothing to do to learning curve this mess. But if you & more others are available to 'waste' the time to setting the controls in the option menù & to understand how feels those right, it's ok but I can accept the claims this it's how use to be a game. I'm able to recognize broken/approximate controls to learning curve, it's almost 20 years I use to be a gamer.
I disagree. Simple as that. It is absolutely NOT horrible and, in fact, is really fantastic. It's simply very different from most games out there today. I didn't need to waste time in the options menu and I didn't have trouble learning the game. I had a grasp on 95% of the control options within an hour of play and simply learned how to adapt those to each scenario.

The ONLY real issue I have is the narrow FOV. I've learned to live with it but would much prefer a wider view of the action.

The game present very different controls with a somewhat higher level of challenge. When you combine those elements frustration is bound to appear for many.

omonimo

Banned
I disagree. Simple as that. It is absolutely NOT horrible and, in fact, is really fantastic. It's simply very different from most games out there today. I didn't need to waste time in the options menu and I didn't have trouble learning the game. I had a grasp on 95% of the control options within an hour of play and simply learned how to adapt those to each scenario.

The ONLY real issue I have is the narrow FOV. I've learned to live with it but would much prefer a wider view of the action.

:/ for you, of course. But if most of the reviewers said that, a lot of gamers said that, the thing change a little a bit.

I wonder how different the overall response to the game would've been if they stuck like a half hour tutorial going over all this stuff at the beginning and left the rest of the game untouched. I guess there's no real way of knowing, but it seems from the polarized views that such a thing can be super important.

dark10x

:/ for you, of course. But if most of the reviewers said that, a lot of gamers said that, the thing change a little a bit.
Oh, does it now?

You're right, if reviewers don't like it the game must be trash just like Godhand and Double Dragon Neon. How silly of me.

theDeeDubs

Never understood the problem with the camera. I like it not tied to my back. I had to bump the aiming speed up and got rid of the cross hairs quick though. Changing the rushing camera to only readjust horizontally also helped. I hate when games reset my vertical camera.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
If anyone wants an example of how the game can be played once you get used to the controls, you can watch parts of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT6fte_RPDE#t=2m

Many of the mechanics mentioned in the OP are used in the video.

I fuckin hate mercs. Hated it in 4 and 5. But watching 6's merc videos I CAN'T WAIT to try out mercs for real. And it's all because of the controls/moves showcased in these vids. To be able to move around so quickly or counter when in a tight spot, that's what I was looking for in a survival mode like this. One more week for me..

At 5:29 of the linked video dude dives back to have a better angle at shooting the oxygen pack on the firefighter. AMAZING

Lothars

I wonder how many of the people moaning that this sounds too complicated have actually played Resident Evil 6.

The OP isn't exactly the best way to get this information across, given that it's nothing but a pretty long list of command inputs, and Capcom should have done this better themselves, but none of that stuff is actually complex in any way. If you learn to quick shot and dodge within about an hour of the game starting then you're pretty much set.
I agree, I bet you 90% of the people bitching about the game controls haven't played it and probably won't play it but they love the fact they think it sucks.

Which capcom deserves critizism for RE6 especially lack of tutorials but it's not near as bad of a game as some are saying it is.

I beg to differ here. The system controls is horrible, end of the story. It has nothing to do to learning curve this mess. But if you & more others are available to 'waste' the time to setting the controls in the option menù & to train yourself in something bronke, it's ok but I can accept the claims this it's how used to be a game. I'm able to recognize broken/approximate controls to learning curve, it's almost 20 years I use to be a gamer.
The controls are not horrible though, They take time to getting use to but they are actually quite good. There are other issues with the game but the controls are not one of them.

LingeringSoul

Neo Member
Thanks for the original poster and to amar212 for posting these. I just starting playing Resident Evil 6 last night, so it's a good thing that I discovered this sooner rather than later. It's a shame that that they don't teach you much of anything in-game. I live in Canada, and we didn't get a manual as detailed as the one that AndyMoogle posted. In fact, I don't think there even was a manual with the game (just a little one-page advertisement thing).

It's pretty shitty this info wasn't in the manual, at least in a basic "here's the moves" form. However the sliding looks cool, I loved Vanquish, and more importantly this has actually made me consider Resident Evil 6 after all the terrible PR it's had. It's a shame it's taken so long as I love RE4 and 5, and Mercenaries is one my all time favorite passtimes.

v1oz

Wow so RE6 has alot more depth to its combat and game system(mechanics) than alot of reviewers were able to decipher. Because most reviewers described it as a brainless Michael Bay like shooter, high on spectacle but without any gameplay depth.

We need some videos of high level play.

Neiteio

It's pretty shitty this info wasn't in the manual, at least in a basic "here's the moves" form. However the sliding looks cool, I loved Vanquish, and more importantly this has actually made me consider Resident Evil 6 after all the terrible PR it's had. It's a shame it's taken so long as I love RE4 and 5, and Mercenaries is one my all time favorite passtimes.
The grand tradition of Mercs continues in RE6. There are fewer maps (for now), but greater enemy variety and reams of new combat and mobility options. The situations and tactical possibilities are wilder than ever.

Wow so RE6 has alot more depth to its combat and game system(mechanics) than alot of reviewers were able to decipher. Because most reviewers described it as a brainless Michael Bay like shooter, high on spectacle but without any gameplay depth.

We need some videos of high level play.
Sectus just posted this great video, which as someone else noted includes a sweet bit where he throws himself backwards to angle a shot at a firefighter zombie's oxygen tank, blowing him up. :) Also, check out the OP, which I recently updated with another Mercs video that includes bits like dropping remote bombs while sliding and then rolling back up as a cloud of meaty chunks rain down. :)

Also note the Sectus video only features a fraction of the enemies in this game (the various zombie types like regular zombies, fatties, dogs and crimsons -- the mutating J'avo are in other maps).

Thanks for including my video in the original post.

Two Best Friends Play posted it on their facebook accounts. That's so awesome.

george_us

This is simply not true. Watch the Mercs vid in the OP. Pulling off that stuff in-game is totally doable and tons of fun. And the enemies are well-tailored to the combat, with mutations even stacking and their swarm tendencies making for some tight fixes where rolling, sliding, counters and quick shots are essential to coming out clean. :)
I've watched that video. Again, my problem isn't with the controls, it's with the execution. Even when you get the hang of the controls, you're still contending with janky animation, terrible hitboxes and terrible collision detection compared to past RE games. And let's not even get into the absolutely terrible camera. RE6 simply isn't a good game and I don't get why a lot of people are trying so hard to defend it. It's going to get a sequel no matter what.

Neiteio

Thanks for including my video in the original post.

Two Best Friends Play posted it on their facebook accounts. That's so awesome.
No prob, and speaking of social media, I encourage spreading this thread around so more people can get more out of the game. Since Capcom made an awesome game but left out a tutorial, we'll have to teach others. We do what Capcan't!

Neiteio

I've watched that video. Again, my problem isn't with the controls, it's with the execution. Even when you get the hang of the controls, you're still contending with janky animation, terrible hitboxes and terrible collision detection compared to past RE games. And let's not even get into the absolutely terrible camera. RE6 simply isn't a good game and I don't get why a lot of people are trying so hard to defend it. It's going to get a sequel no matter what.
The only time collision detection is "off" is if you attempt to curb-stomp an enemy when they're already standing halfway back up (which is understandable). Otherwise I've experienced nothing but pixel-perfect hit boxes and collision detection. And this talk of janky animation is unfounded, I feel -- even the most over-the-top melee takedowns segue seamlessly out of and back into regular combat, or into a counter, or into a quick shot, or into a roll or slide. I think most people who watch those videos will see this. And again, I've never had trouble with the camera, but I like using the right stick. :)

This isn't a matter of "trying hard to defend it." These are honest opinions, as honest as yours, coming from my perspective the way I played it. The people who love this game and are having fun are really, truly, loving the game and having fun, and I feel their numbers are growing all the time as they learn the game and find their groove. That's OK if you don't feel it, though. It might not be for everyone, but I feel a lot of people would be surprised to find that it is in fact for them. :)

Bittercup

This is the manual we got in Europe.

[I MG]http://i.imgur.com/6t0lX.jpg?1[/IMG]
I read this thread earlier and was quite confused when my game (EU) arrived later today and I saw what we got as a manual. It doesn't cover all the details, but overall the basics are there like sliding. marking enemies, quick health reload etc.
Is that missing from the US manual? If so, pretty strange decision.

This video ends with some awesome examples of Leon's quick shot. The video also celebrates the delightful absurdity of RE6 in general, probably my favorite quality about the game and one of the reasons I'm smiling the whole time I play it. :)

I love RE6 now but hated the demo the first time I tried it, and more or less thought I'd skip the game. I felt like the character moved too fast and the camera was too close and it was hard to navigate the environment and fight enemies. But then I dialed back the camera, increased the aiming, switched to laser sight, upped the brightness from 20 to 30, and slowed the fuck down until I started learning the new mechanics and all the intricacies therein. At that point everything started to "click" and make sense -- the attack patterns and swarm tendencies of enemies, the slide-friendly level design, the progression of setpieces, the ebb and flow of combat, etc. The camera no longer makes me nauseous since I dialed back the speed, and the FOV (pulled out more in most scenes anyway) maintains tension since an enemy may be in your blind spot -- monsters can wander from the other side of the level (or may be another player in Agent Hunt), and there's no music to give away their presence. Now everything gels wonderfully, and it's spectacular. :)

FUCKIN' A

....That is all

Neiteio

FUCKIN' A

....That is all
I really do love how enemies will wander from a half-mile away and smack me in the back of the head when I'm not looking. It nearly made me shit my pants on a number of occasions. Now I'm always peeking over my shoulder all paranoid-like. Nowhere is safe in RE6, lol. :)

I read this thread earlier and was quite confused when my game (EU) arrived later today and I saw what we got as a manual. It doesn't cover all the details, but overall the basics are there like sliding. marking enemies, quick health reload etc.
Is that missing from the US manual? If so, pretty strange decision.

There is no US manual. For some reason Capcom didn't want to include it in North America.

Neiteio

If anyone wants an example of how the game can be played once you get used to the controls, you can watch parts of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT6fte_RPDE#t=2m

Many of the mechanics mentioned in the OP are used in the video.
This video is great. Sectus, could you link to some of your other choice videos? :)

Glad to see many people digging the game as they learn the mechanics and flow. The mechanics are simple to do -- it's just a matter of learning when and where to use them. Easy to learn, deep to master.

Top Bottom