• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Were support conversations as frequent in previous games as they are in awakening? I feel like I've seen a billion more here than I ever did before and idk if it's me or the game that changed.

Also that was the perfect sequence of posts before me for (comedy value)... "no waifu shit plz" followed by a photo of a highly sexualized figurine for sale. I haven't actually gotten far enough in the game to experience marriages, or much at all in the way of blatant sexualization. Did this all come from the fanbase, or are there some awkwardness-landmines in my future?

Edit: and one more vote for "ike rules, marth drools" from me.

PLxKAUXl.jpg

Proud owner!

Same here

IIRC, it has never been quite like this. We are in full-blown harem anime fandom territory. Maybe it has something to do with the art design, avatar use, etc. And people can like whatever they want, but I won't eat where they shit, so w/e. This thread doesn't necessarily have to be exactly like the Awakening OT, so maybe there is hope, that is all.
Well abrasive posts won't help matters. You said you didn't want to judge, but you are doing just that.

If you don't like the romance aspects of the series, then maybe just don't mention them at all. I'm sure you can find people happy to discuss those other aspects with you.

A community thread is for all things about the series, not just the parts you happen to personally care for.

Levyne

Banned
Also that was the perfect sequence of posts before me for (comedy value)... "no waifu shit plz" followed by a photo of a highly sexualized figurine for sale. I haven't actually gotten far enough in the game to experience marriages, or much at all in the way of blatant sexualization. Did this all come from the fanbase, or are there some awkwardness-landmines in my future?

It's a consequence of the descendant system in Awakening where you have a set of children characters, requiring a large portion of supports to be romantic in nature...

Codeblue

Were support conversations as frequent in previous games as they are in awakening? I feel like I've seen a billion more here than I ever did before and idk if it's me or the game that changed.

In other games each character had a limited number of support convos (unlimited in Awakening), and the requirements to unlock them were different. Some you just had to have two units out on the same chapter and in others they just had to stand next to each other for a long enough time, then in awakening, they had to act while paired or next to each other.

But Ike has blue hair.

You know what I meant!

Madouu

It is kind of a funny joke, but then it stops being a joke at some point...

Yeah I think it's all fun and well when it's a joke from time to time but when the discussion is centered exclusively on that, it becomes a bit too weird.

Lunar15

It's a consequence of the descendant system in Awakening where you have a set of children characters, requiring a large portion of supports to be romantic in nature...

I think it's a consequence of any game that has women and men drawn in a fairly attractive fashion and you can choose between them to fight on your army.

It's a lot more frequent in Awakening cause it's a lot easier to gain points during battle now with the pair up system.

In past games, you either had a limit of support points you could get in a battle, had to sit glue characters together to make sure they gained points with the limited number of battles you had or had a limit of the number of supports they could even have. They did away with most of that in Awakening (besides the only one partner).

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Personally, I just think that having the relationship thing lead to a 2nd gen roster was cool, even if the kids did pretty much invalidate their parents with absurd base stats and growth rates, barring the 3 or so "bad" parent pairings. Still need to get to FE4 at some point to try it out.

The Waifu stuff did get a bit overbearing in mid-life of the Awakening OT and a chunk of OT2, but that was a good chunk of time after the initial post-salvo opener, iirc. Not a lot to discuss other than that, the DLC maps, and various Q/A stuff from new people.

Gestahl

IIRC, it has never been quite like this. We are in full-blown harem anime fandom territory. Maybe it has something to do with the art design, avatar use, etc. And people can like whatever they want, but I won't eat where they shit, so w/e. This thread doesn't necessarily have to be exactly like the Awakening OT, so maybe there is hope, that is all.

I remember over like a 2 day period seeing two Fire Emblem threads on /v/ at 4chan. One discussed the older games and was full of strategy, tips, character comparisons, story discussion, with the occasional creepy picture, and the other started with "DOES ANYONE ELSE WANT TO SNIFF THARJA'S BUTT STANK????"

Put same sex relationships in the next one IntSys.
Did you play as a girl, by any chance?

I started a second playthrough as a female avatar (Lunatic), but then I kept dying and wondering if I even really wanted to play this game a second time. Plus, it's not quite the same to play as a woman to get the dudes.

Levyne

Banned
I enjoyed the pre-written romances in the GBA games. They were great. Felt like a little bonus to see the paired ending card if you happened to have the support.

The only reason Awakening is more like this is cause it's really the first break out Fire Emblem game and its the most recent one, which means more fans are in it and there's more fandom for it.

There's plenty of fandom for the past FE games, just not as big cause most of them were never officially in English or released many years ago.

FE4 pairing wars were much more crazy.

Did you play as a girl, by any chance?

I started a second playthrough as a female avatar (Lunatic), but then I kept dying and wondering if I even really wanted to play this game a second time. Plus, it's not quite the same to play as a woman to get the dudes.
No, my Robin was male. I just pretended that he ran off with Frederick at the end.

And if they intend to continue the aspect of letting the players chose the romantic pairings (which I'm sure they will), they definitely need to include the option for same sex pairings in the next one.

It is the next logical step for the series, and would be inline with what they've had in previous games.

Blues1990

Gregor_%28FE13_Artwork%29.png

Gregor had quickly become one of my favourite units in Fire Emblem: Awakening. Not only does he become quite a powerful member of Chrom's army, but he also has some great support conversations, which were equal parts heartfelt & hysterical.

However, I couldn't figure out who to pair him off with, thought I have considered pairing him with Lissa, as Owain will gain access to the mercenary class set.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Wonder how 4 would be handled here if it was ever re released with all the incest.

MogCakes

Just to make my own position clear, I countered Tharja with Lyn because Lyn is an awesome character (albeit dropping off in importance after her arc) and would be one of my examples put forth for 'strong female lead'.

Wonder how 4 would be handled here if it was ever re released with all the incest.

I've read some interesting things about that game, lol

Pau

I need to go back and beat Sacred Stones on the 3DS. Amelia and Ross were amazing. I put it on hold because Awakening came out, and forgot about it.

No, my Robin was male. I just pretended that he ran off with Frederick at the end.

And if they intend to continue the aspect of letting the players chose the romantic pairings (which I'm sure they will), they definitely need to include the option for same sex pairings in the next one.

It is the next logical step for the series, and would be inline with what they've had in previous games.
It would be great to see. I really wonder if it'll ever happen. It would be awesome, that's for sure.

I need to go back and beat Sacred Stones on the 3DS. Amelia and Ross were amazing. I put it on hold because Awakening came out, and forgot about it.
If only I could have it on my 3DS, too :(

Sacred Stones was my first and I loved it. The music was really good.

Alright, this is kind of obligatory I think. Here is my ranking of FE games out of the ones I've played:

1. Path of Radiance
  2. FE7
  3. Radiant Dawn
  4. Sacred Stones/Awakening

I ought to replay Radiant Dawn one of these days.

What a stellar thread. I had an epiphany the other day when I beat FE7 for the 5th time that this has become my favourite video game series surpassing Suikoden & Shin Megami Tensei. The games are all so good, the formula works, with each iteration featuring a potent mix of familiar and solid core gameplay and intelligent (for the most part) evolution to the game play. Always keeps me coming back for more. Art direction and music are top notch, and the often heralded difficulty ranges from hard as nails (FE5) to challenging but far from frustrating (FE 8) but it always seems fair.

Off to restart Sacred Stones and do an Eirka route run.

Busaiku

I had the Ambassador games forever, but I don't think I even got through the Prologue in Sacred Stones, dunno why.

Seda

One thing I like to do in Fire Emblem games is to handicap myself to certain sets of characters as I play through the game. Like, only mages, only those on horseback, only males/females, only pre-promoted units, etc. Forces me to play maps sometimes very differently on subsequent playthroughs.

The support conversation you get with Soren and Ike in Radiant Dawn with the save file from Path of Radiance is beautiful ;_;

Yeah. Slowly uncovering Soren's backstory was really great.

Oh man, definitely agree.

Anybody remember what the requirements for getting that super secret Soren convo in Radiant Dawn were?
Where you find out he's actually Ashnard's son.
I seem to recall it being something crazy like having to play PoR a certain way, transfer your file, and then do some extremely difficult and specific stuff throughout RD.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I feel I must of played Path of Radiance Wrong, I used like none of the characters everyone seemed to like.

Which of the Japanese only titles do you guys think is most worth the time?

Levyne

Banned
Would have been better if it wasn't hidden under such strict conditions in FE10. Especially with all the things you needed to do before transfer a save from FE9 to it.

Yeah. It would be fine if it was a little more explicit, maybe. And there are some parts that you can get an interesting little conversations but I'm unsure whether it was actually required for the reveal, such as
Soren attacking Pelleas or Pelleas attacking Izuka.
All the little things were interesting though and really felt good to finally get that last little bit of text at the end..

TWILT

Banned

Anybody remember what the requirements for getting that super secret Soren convo in Radiant Dawn were?
I seem to recall it being something crazy like having to play PoR a certain way, transfer your file, and then do some extremely difficult and specific stuff throughout RD.

The one you get in the Epilogue? I'm not sure if these are the exact requirements, but:

- Make Soren fight Micaiah in Part 3 Chapter 7.
- Choose not to kill Pelleas in Part 3 Chapter 13.
- Make Soren fight Pelleas in Part 3 Final Chapter.
- Soren and Pelleas both survive until the end of the game.
- During the Epilogue, an extra scene will appear where Almedha briefly speaks with Soren.

Seda

I sometimes get the events mixed up for recruiting
Lehran
, certain scenes, the base conversation with Soren, and the Soren epilogue scene mixed up as to which events trigger which scenes, here's all of them in Radiant Dawn.

-Recruit Lehran-
Deploy the Black Knight in Part 1 Final.
Make Ike fight the Black Knight in Part 3 Chapter 7 and both characters survive.
At the end of Part 4 Final-2, a new event "Ike's memory scene" will play.
Lehran will automatically join from Turn 1 of Part 4 Final-5.

-Soren Base conversation-
Transfer a Ike and Soren A Support from Path of Radiance (Note: this step can be done at any time, but to be safe, you should probably do it at the earliest opportunity).
Ike and Soren have a A Support in this game.
Bring Soren into Part 4 Final.
View Ike's memory scene by fulfilling the requirements to recruit Lehran.
A new Base conversation "Soren" will appear during Part 4 Final-5.

-Soren Epilogue scene-
Make Soren fight Micaiah in Part 3 Chapter 7.
Choose not to kill Pelleas in Part 3 Chapter 13.
Make Soren fight Pelleas in Part 3 Final Chapter.
Soren and Pelleas both survive until the end of the game.
During the Epilogue, an extra scene will appear where Almedha briefly speaks with Soren.

The one you get in the Epilogue? I'm not sure if these are the exact requirements, but:

- Make Soren fight Micaiah in Part 3 Chapter 7.
- Choose not to kill Pelleas in Part 3 Chapter 13.
- Make Soren fight Pelleas in Part 3 Final Chapter.
- Soren and Pelleas both survive until the end of the game.
- During the Epilogue, an extra scene will appear where Almedha briefly speaks with Soren.

I sometimes get the events mixed up for recruiting
Lehran
, certain scenes, the base conversation with Soren, and the Soren epilogue scene mixed up as to which events trigger which scenes, here's all of them in Radiant Dawn.

Thanks guys! Good stuff.

Top Bottom