• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awkward Scenes in Videogames That Made You Cringe

Someone should point out that the line is actually derived from a Japanese saying "women may be weak, but mothers are strong." The line actually uses archaic, fancy sounding Japanese in the original ver (yes, the FFXIII script includes a throwback to a sexist point of view). The "mom's are tough" line has me believing the translators were making fun of the game they were working on with FFXIII.

If they would have translated that line properly I might have actually respected her a little more.

That makes me sad.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is it really tri-Ace or Square Enix who are responsible for awkward cutscenes? I mean Resonance of Faith was by tri-Ace but it wasn't awkward nor cringeworthy (although silly on purpose) and it was published by Sega.

Sex scenes in The Witcher 2.

Every scene with the cole train in any Gears game and anytime Gears tries to emotional.

Any romance crap in a Bioware game, except those involving Morrgian in Dragon Age 1.

Meryl and Johnny Pirates Rip-off marriage proposal in MGS4.

The entirety of any Tales of Game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
SOnic_2.png

oh god wtf

zashga

Just about any cutscene or monologue from Metroid: Other M. There's a lot to choose from, but even the very beginning of the game, with Samus zoned out on some sort of space dentist chair, is genuinely painful. "I had been reliving the tragic moments of my recent past." Tell me about it.

Wildesy

FFX-2. In regards to a specific scene, well it'd probably be easier to name the scenes that weren't awkward.

Also in FFVIII when Rinoa was just tumbling around in space for like 10 minutes.

sonicmj1

Any scene where Otacon is crying in any Metal Gear game is at least unintentionally hilarious.

ME1 sex scenes are really awkward. As was the sex in God of War 3.

FFXIII was rough at times, and the ending was especially bad.

WEISS YOU DUMBASS! ST*skipskipskipskipskip*

Gileadxv

Banned
Talking to EDI about "relationship" advice in Mass Effect 3. The entire fact that BioWare was taking this angle seriously really raised the creepiness factor.

volturnus

Banned
Hard to believe it took so long hahahaha
I heard there are quite a few embarassing scenes in Gears 3 as well, but I don't have that much money to waste right now.

Edit:
Talking to EDI about "relationship" advice in Mass Effect 3. The entire fact that BioWare was taking this angle seriously really raised the creepiness factor.
This as well.
At first I thought it was a joke, but then it got serious and BioWare fans made a lot of fuss because there was no ''sex scene'' in the game featuring both.

I'm not sure why I feel so strongly about this, but there's a scene towards the end of Silent Hill 4 that is bar none the most awkward and poorly-paced scene in the series
(up until that point lolololo)
: the part where you finally meet
the ghost of Joseph Schreiber.
The scene seems to go on about twice as long as it should, which is weird in a series that had, until that point, always done a great job pacing and directing its cutscenes. I also felt the music playing during the scene was a weird, unfitting piece, which is REALLY odd given Yamaoka's genius.

Otacon's revelation in MGS2.

Yeah. Most of MGS2, really.

Shaffield

I can't recall any specific scenes since its been quite a while,
but the entire Story Mode in Custom Robo for the gamecube was awkward as shit.

I can't recall any specific scenes since its been quite a while,
but the entire Story Mode in Custom Robo for the gamecube was awkward as shit.

That's supposed to be a pretty good game otherwise, right?

I can only imagine.

Same with NMH2. Every half hour of play time ended with a ten minute Sylvia monologue with the camera switching between different shots of her chest.

But that was supposed to be awkward and pervy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also, Deus Ex HR.

Those supposedly good dialog are ruined by the boring Jensen's voice and the... well... weird NPC actions as if they have ants in their pants.

I figured this might be something you of all people could see the beauty in.
FYI Sonic is something even furries find creepy :p

Pretty much any of David Cage's "direction" for scenes in Heavy Rain.

- "Oh let's have Madison in sexually provocative situations all the time" You can pretty much imagine Cage masturbating furiously as he "playtested" these sections.

- The game trying to convince us that 10 year old kids actually act like they're 5

- The terrible scenes with the "kids" late in the game

- Horrible acting all over the place, pretty much constantly

- The most moronic "police work" ever seen, we're talking Simpsons-type bad, except the Simpsons are meant to be comedic

- "Oh hey dad I'm just gonna run in the middle of traffic and noooooooooo"

... honestly pretty much scene in this game is cringeworthy

Mzo

I just want to forget. Forget... It... All.

Noooooo! I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with liiiiiight!

All of FFX. Every second of it.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Square enix hand gestures in conversations.. It's so overdone, feels like something from the 1920s black and white miming comedy skits.

Top Bottom