• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF OT 14: The Alpha and The Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshal

Neo Member
BI3tEqO.gif

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I think you guys are counting her out too early. Almost no one debuts at the top before, plus Katy has been out of the game for three years.

Marshal

Neo Member
I think you guys are counting her out too early. Almost no one debuts at the top before, plus Katy has been out of the game for three years.

IDWLF went #1 on iTunes in like 60 countries in under an hour, Chained to Max Martin is flopping at #4 a little over a day after release despite having a on-the-hour radio deal, Spotify deal with her song at the top of all the popular playlists, emails, Facebook notifications, billboards on highways, that disco ball publicity stunt all over the world, and multiple teasers. Katy has only been out of the game for 8 months, Rise came(and topped iTunes, something Chained to the Playground couldn't do) and flopped as well

She's over

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Taylor is bigger than Katy now, though. And we should give it a week before we say she is over, right now everyone is being dramatic because ya can. Grammy's are on Sunday and that should help her.

IDWLF went #1 on iTunes in like 60 countries in under an hour, Chained to Max Martin is flopping at #4 a little over a day after release despite having a on-the-hour radio deal, Spotify deal with her song at the top of all the popular playlists, emails, Facebook notifications, billboards on highways, that disco ball publicity stunt all over the world, and multiple teasers. Katy has only been out of the game for 8 months, Rise came(and topped iTunes, something Chained to the Playground couldn't do) and flopped as well

She's over

No chill 😂

I'm sure the song will do well enough considering the big names on it, but and it's true that we do put a lot of emphasis on iTunes sales even though it counts less than airplay and streaming for Billboard. Tracking first day sales is a good way to measure someone's following though, so it's obvious that Katy's success is due largely to casual listeners as opposed to people who deliberately follow her music. That's why a a song as average and flavorless as this isn't taking over the world.

That said, it is immensely validating to see Katy get buried in shade as it's obvious that people here only stanned her because she was successful. Living vicariously through her achievements 😂

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
"Chained to the Rhythm"...I like that it has a message and I also generally like the sound. However, since I feel like the song is anti-itself and mocking enjoyment of it, the chorus just makes me stop and not dance as the song tears its own appeal apart. Also, these bolded parts of the lyrics sound lyrically awkward to me (the message is fine):

So comfortable, we're living in a bubble, a bubble
So comfortable, we cannot see the trouble, the trouble
[...]
Turn it up, it's your favorite song
Dance, dance, dance to the distortion
Come on, turn it up, keep it on repeat
Stumbling around like a wasted zombie
Yeah, we think we're free

The verses work better than the chorus for me.

She's over

image.php

I imagine going through my Animal Crossing village, talking to one of my neighbors, and getting this long explanation of why Katy Perry is over. It's wonderful.

[Chorus 2: Lorde]
This dream isn't feeling sweet
We're reeling through the midnight streets
And I've never felt more alone
It feels so scary, getting old
This dream isn't feeling sweet
We're reeling through the midnight streets
And I've never felt more alone
It feels so scary, getting old

[Bridge: Lorde]
I want 'em back (I want 'em back)
The minds we had (the minds we had)
How all the thoughts (how all the thoughts)
Moved 'round our heads (moved 'round our heads)
I want 'em back (I want 'em back)
The minds we had (the minds we had)
It's not enough to feel the lack
I want 'em back, I want 'em back, I want 'em-

I forgot about Ribs...lordt

Koodo

Banned
iirc there's no evidence twigs has started working on her next album, she's been busy with artful (?) stage performances and commercials for Nike... for whatever reason.

Charli and Tinashe are indeed stuck in hell, though the former LOST THE PLOT regardless.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
We live in circles
And it's so hard to breathe
Maybe the same old fears
What have we here?
Don't bring me down
With you

Now I'm just chasing time
With a thousand dreams I'm holding heavy
And as we cross the line these fading beats have all been severed
Don't tell me our youth is running out
It's only just begun

I miss Foxes tbh

Ugh, the more I think about Tinashe, the angrier I get. Aquarius should've been a hit. Why didn't she release Slays Like Vegas, Cold Slay, or Bet (your faves can't slay like this) as singles after all the good will that Too On brought her? At least Nightride is fantastic.

Come, take me by the hand
Wanna cross the line, baby go ahead
Till the morning light, watch my silhouette
'Cause you know tonight, we're gonna wake the dead

jSAevuz.gif

Get a little bit wrong, get a little bit wild
Get a little bit high off of this love tonight
Get a little bit raw, come a little undone
Get a little bit reckless, I can't get enough

Baby when we're touching in the dark, can you feel it?
I can hear the pounding of my heart, can you feel it?
When you take my body to the stars, I believe it
Boy this love is supernatural, can you feel it?

jSAevuz.gif

a 2012 era bop. I wish Ke$ha could still release music.

B-Dex

That's what happens when you're a hypocrite and shit on the people that made you famous and got you all your coins. Not surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom