• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare Montreal's Studio Director talks about the next Mass Effect

How are my decisions going to cross over to next gen?

Savegame upload Application for current gen consoles eh? Gonna be patched into mass effect 3, gonna be so good.

Reese-015

Full article kinda indicates that it will in fact be after ME3 but potentially quite long after or in any case in such a way that it would not be directly connected to the previous games. I like this. I like this a lot. Prequel would have sucked donkey flops.

tearsofash

The way I interpreted it is that they may be wanting to do something similar to early Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy XIII. Make a trilogy of related games, then another trilogy, etc. Not a reboot, just more Mass Effect type stuff.

Floex

'We won't be using the Mass Effect name anymore because we royally fucked up the brand and worried that they'll be a sales hit if we title it as Mass Effect 4'

monome

Mass Effect should be treated like comics.

Build an arc around story/mechanics, finish it.
Get back to building a new arc with substantial differentiation (like a new writer/penciller for a comics) and fuck off the nitpickers.

Mass Effect is a space opera. it doesn't need more than that to be Mass Effect. apart from some mass effect. otherwise build a new spacefaring IP.

TCRS

Banned
I wasn't thinking about making it literally like ME1. Just the idea behind the first one -minus the reapers- should be enough. Then build something upon it.

Oh I agree. Definitely more like ME1 but with actual exploring. Put something on those damn planets.

Randdalf

The Mass Effect

Maybe they could actually make the story to do with the mass effect as well, seeing as it was only used as a device to explain away FTL travel, unlimited energy and biotics in the first three games.

No, because the game does not have to come after. Or before. Or off to the side. Or with characters you know. Or yaddayaddayadda.

I smell reboot. "THE MASS EFFECT". Because it would certainly have to come either before, off to the side, or after. Unless you set is so far before or after that the implications of the original trilogy become irrelevant. But then it wouldn't really be "Mass Effect" at all.

The Mass Effect

You are some kinda sorceror.

Sojgat

Mass Effect: Generic Subtitle it is then.

I don't really care what it's called, as long as they're given enough time to finish the game properly this time.

xenist

"Thinking of the next Mass Effect game as Mass Effect 4 would imply a certain linearity, a straight evolution of the gameplay and story of the first three games," he wrote. "That doesn't mean that events of the first three games and the choices you made won't get recognised, but they likely won't be what this new story will focus on.

Oh really? So my space magic synthesis game, some other guys "no synthetics whatsoever" and someone's "the Reapers are still around and guided by space Jesus" will be recognized but not focused on? How do you recognize but not focus on such fundamental things?

Such bullshit. Just come out and say it's going to be a prequel set in the First Contact War so I can ignore this game and be done with it.

Raggie

So, the next Mass Effect game doesn't happen anywhere in the Mass Effect timeline, and also has nothing to do with a game called Mass Effect. Gotcha.

Herne

Can't get excited over new Bioware announcements... just can't. Even though I hated Mass Effect 3's ending like everyone else, it's Dragon Age 2 that still smarts the most. That shitty goddamn art design, the closed in area as opposed to the freedom of the original, the endlessly re-used environments, the tiny scope compared to the original... if it came first, it wouldn't have been so bad, but it didn't. It had a class act to follow and only ended up a poor shadow of it's former self.

Changes for the sake of change are not always a good thing, Bioware.

Nice to see Eurogamer is staying current with the latest news from the Bioware Forum ...... oh wait this is at least 2 weeks old and most people just rolled their eyes when Chris Priestly said it.

Well if they are saying Mass Effect is not Mass Effect 4 then perhaps they are doing a name change. Perhaps they are changing it to Mass Shift ... dun dun duhhhhhhhhh thus confirming this "leak" :-

oh god this better not be true source said:
- Mass Shift is not Mass Effect 4. Mass Shift will involve the same universe,
characters, and story, but it will be more action-oriented. Space flight, for
example, will be as intricate as ME3's combat. In Mass Shift, you will actively fly
Murmur, a Reaper that is controlled by the Catalyst. Storyboards have not been
drawn up for exactly how this will work yet, but when we came up with the initial
concept, we were comparing flight to "Gradius III and Kingdom Hearts 2", and the
relationship between the Catalyst and Murmur was compared to the one between the
boy and the monster in "The Last Guardian".

- Xy was actually going to be a DLC character for Mass Effect 2, but he was axed in
favor of Kasumi, who was modeled after the sister of a staff member who kept baking
the entire staff cookies. They're introducing him in Mass Shift instead."

- Though the details are very sketchy at this point, Mass Shift revolves around
the Catalyst (who now inhabits the body of Shepard), who seeks to prevent the
galaxy from advancing synthetics. This pits the Catalyst against virtually the
entire galaxy, which is quickly forgetting about the threat that synthetics pose.
The Catalyst, throughout the game, will endure inner turmoil caused by
his "other side" (EDI), who carries the belief that synthetics and organics can
peacefully co-exist.

- Mass Shift will feature more tactical combat, but with less cover. For example,
Filbert, while slow on the battlefield, can create a sphere of biotic energy around
himself that can repel a certain amount of fire. This will allow party members to
stand around him to receive all kinds of interesting "buffs".

- Other minor things have changed. For example, storyboards indicate that Asad
Grim, Mass Shift's primary (but not final--he joins your team) antagonist does not
wear a typical Volus suit. You will be able to see most of his body.

- Mass Shift takes place about one millennium after the events of ME3."

Sarcasm aside maybe the next Mass Effect will be called "Mass Effect - bugger all singleplayer but here is a crap load of co-op levels so we can continue ripping you off".

StUnNeR H2K

I'll be LOL'ing hard when it is Mass Effect 4. Then bet they hadn't consulted with EA on the title yet.

Either way I'm getting it day one. Despite issues with ME3 I still love the series as a whole.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds good to me, they obviously can't take your choices from previous games and make them work in any way.

Derrick01

Banned
Proof that EA is behind this whoring. There's no reason to have another game after how bad they botched the story in 2 and 3. But EA needs dat 5 million sales.

RPGCrazied

I'd like another Mass Effect, and I agree, not with Shepard. His story is over. But I don't know if I'd call it Mass Effect 4. Wasn't there a rumor of a prequel? Then title it something like Mass Effect: Origins or something.

Top Bottom