• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am a bad driver, and have been pulled over 20+ times this year

Royce McCutcheon

lmao - damn son you're getting shafted. Did you pay every single ticket without going to court to drop the points?

three sixty seven US dollars

I was advised by my lawyer to do so, I actually got a ticket for not appearing to a contest before, didn't know that existed.

JettDash

lmao - damn son you're getting shafted. Did you pay every single ticket without going to court to drop the points?

He isn't getting shafted. He is a terrible driver and thus a much bigger risk to the insurance company so he should pay a lot.

E92 M3

I was advised by my lawyer to do so, I actually got a ticket for not appearing to a contest before, didn't know that existed.

All you have to do is go to court, talk to the prosecutor to make it a lesser violation and pay your fine. It doesn't go on your driver record and insurance companies don't see it.

No need for a lawyer. If you're going to be a careless driver, at least don't be lazy and go to court. Eventually, Geico will kick you out.

He isn't getting shafted. He is a terrible driver and thus a much bigger risk to the insurance company so he should pay a lot.

Sure, but it doesn't mean he's not getting shafted lol. Geico is making bank from him.

HotHamBoy

I mean, my speeding in construction was 60 in a 55, and no one was in that construction car I was looking. Those other ones are on me, but a lot if these stops were lower class neighborhoods, and they were always searching my shit. Like I've seen those dogs quite a few times. "Where you coming from, what are you doing here" Like, if this a signal ticket, just give me the damn ticket, what's the extra for. I drive a damn Chrysler, and they swear I sell dope. I've never been in an accident in 15 odd years., so I think I drive decent enough.

I feel like there is a good chance that a gulf exists between your perceived reality and objective reality.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Not shafted, he is at some of the highest risk level. He's a giant red flag to the insurance industry and they know he has a higher risk of costing them butt loads of money. His chance of killing someone is much greater than almost anyone else in this thread.

In my defense, I've never been in an accident and I've been driving for about 15 years.

That is a good thing. Just take an honest look at your ticket situation and make an active attempt to drive differently. Go the speed limit, use your turn signals for EVERYTHING. Come to complete stops. Wear your seat belt. Renew your registration a month early. I know it will feel restrictive and suck to be an mega rule follower, but do it for your wallet and for the wreck that hasn't happened yet that you may well avoid

Vidiot

Never got any tickets, never been pulled over. I obey the rules with some slight cautious speeding hear and there.

I've been pulled over for making eye contact with a passing cop, among many, many pull overs for DWB. I also drive a red sports car.

Just make sure you are legit (insurance, seat belt, ect...)

Be polite.

If a cop is ahead of you, slow down and put some cars inbetween you and him. You want to blend in.

If he's behind you and approaching, switch lanes and let him pass. If it's just you and him on the road, you're screwed.

And of course always be aware of your speed by keeping pace with the flow of traffic. If you're passing cars on the freeway, you're going to get stopped.

Count to three when you are at stop signs, then go.

Don't be one of those idiots who doesn't use their signals.

Again, the key is you don't want to stand out. The look of your car doesn't matter as much as what you do in it...and what you look like in relation to where you are, but that can't be helped.

Schnozberry

I have really high coverage limits, $250 deductible, and cover both my wife and I, and I'm under $150 month for insurance. I feel for you OP, but you have to have some better situational awareness when you're near police cars. They probably run your plates and see all those paid tickets, and think of you as an easy way to generate revenue.

288155490_FPRZY-2100x20000.jpg

I live in a heavily minority area. I get pulled over a lot, but being a white girl has it's upsides occasionally. I've never gotten a ticket here.

At one point, I got pulled over a half dozen times in a week. (Goes to show how often cops scan plates). The DMV messed up my title transfer and I kept getting pulled over for expired tags. I still had valid stickers on my tag, and I just renewed it a couple months before, but the DMV had my car as unregistered. I'd show them the DMV print out of having my tags paid for and up to date, and they'd let me go.
Then for a while, I had my rear tag in the back window. Some one stole my plates (just after renewing them too), and took the screws too. I tried using screws from the front plate, but they didn't fit. I spent forever at Home Depot trying to find the right screw, but it still wouldn't go in right. I eventually found a little local car shop that had the right kind to fit it.
The most annoying pull over though, was back when they were re-doing all the on ramps for the highway. They'd have 3 or 4 in a row blocked off. I went to get on at the first spot, blocked off. Drove down the street to the next one, blocked off. And I made a quick turn onto the side road as soon as I saw that the ramp was closed. I wasn't doing anything wrong, just made a more "sudden" move. It was like 2am. I just wanted to go home and go to bed. Instead I have an asshole cop asking me where I live and what I'm doing. "TRYING TO GO HOME... if the stupid highway wasn't blocked off I could."

I was on a road trip with my aunt and grandmother. We were driving through Missouri on 55, and I had it set to cruise control hanging out in the right hand lane. Scared the hell out of everyone. The cop started complaining about the tint on the windows because he probably couldn't have come up with any better reason to pull us over. Then he started to back pedal on it. He even got out his little device to tell the tint %, which was about 2% below maximum level. He was a total ass during the whole thing, even after my aunt explained that the tint was put on by the manufacturer when she purchased the car. Within two seconds on the road again, some SUV drives by with limo tinting.... Followed by a dozen or so more cars while in that state.

The majority of the times, it was after dark that I'd get pulled over. We'd have late night game nights and I'd drive a couple friends home on the other side of town. It'd always get pulled over at least once. Even when there was nothing wrong with my vehicle. It's just cops being asses and trying to wave their dicks around.

Arttemis

Probably all that uncontrollable shit talking you do rubbing the authorities the wrong way. It makes them step up their ticket game. Seems fair to me.

Royce McCutcheon

Step 1: learn how to drive
Step 2: There is no step 2 ya doofus, just over the god damn law

It really sounds like you should no longer have your license.

So you telling me everyone someone gets pulled over it's 100% legitimate. They literally spawn camp my old neighborhood and shoot fish in a barrel by pulling over anything that breaths. It's not fair.

At least you have a high paying job due to nepotism.

It pays for the tickets.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So you telling me everyone someone gets pulled over it's 100% legitimate. They literally spawn camp my old neighborhood and shoot fish in a barrel by pulling over anything that breaths. It's not fair.

I don't think anyone is saying that, however the number you have racked up basically eliminates the idea that it's all targeting, the odds are just too high. Plus your own confessions on here basically suggest you are a poor driver.

KHarvey16

I bet they're behind you so long because it takes forever to list out all the stupid shit you've been caught doing when they run your plate. By the time they finish listing it you've done something else stupid and they have to pull you over.

Dishwalla

Banned
It's funny when this guy lists all these things that are clearly illegal he still thinks he's the victim who is being unfairly picked on. Seriously dude, own your shitty driving, then work on fixing it.

Stasis

Long ass post incoming because of lots of experience...

I'm not reading through this whole thread (disclaimer), and I won't get into petty arguments with someone again (hi Joni!) over driving because: It really depends on where you are and circumstances.

I haven't been pulled over where I live in over 5 years. I did get a speeding ticket returning from NY to Montreal (where I now reside) about 2 years back but it wasn't major and the cop was nice about it. I was going 77 in a 65 really close to the border at a time with basically no one on the road. It is what it is.

That being said, I've been pulled over a LOT in my lifetime. Prior to 30, and especially prior to 25, it was a common thing. I'm not saying this in a proud way. Nor am I ashamed. I've always been a safe driver. There are times I AM ashamed of, but wasn't caught, and that's long in the past with lessons learned. I would, however, advise younger drivers to be more cautious. Not in avoiding cops, but in how they drive. A lot has changed. When I was young and dumb, texting wasn't a thing. We didn't have cars with as much power (not easily) etc. And really... location. Such a HUGE factor in these talks. So, I don't know precise numbers but I'm willing to say that out of, say, 50 pullovers in my late teens to mid 20's, I've gotten MAYBE 10 tickets. Vast majority were warnings and being let go amicably and some of these were pretty big differences, not like 5 over. Truth being, I was never reckless. I didn't endanger others (nope, not getting into a debate about that here) and was always always always 100% honest and owning my transgression.

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"

"Yep, I was speeding, going X amount over the limit and I deserved it."

I don't always agree with the "deserved" part, and if you bother researching speeding laws/tickets you can figure out why the number posted doesn't mean all that much in many scenarios and is just a commonly accepted thing we've been taught to believe in. But I'd NEVER say that to a cop. I'm not gonna film a cop, argue with a cop, debate it. I know I was speeding in a zone that had clearly marked signs indicating the proper speed. I'll readily admit it, apologize, and wait. Neither he/she, nor I wanna debate the policy. MOST of the time, I'd get a nice chat, and be let go. I've had very cool experiences. Hell, I've been flirted with by a cop. In a fun, casual, way.

But this is Montreal and area. And yes, I need to specify (sadly, really...) that I'm a normal looking white dude in a mid-range to luxury-range car in all of these scenarios. I don't know if that changes things here. I know it certainly can elsewhere. I never tried to get out of a ticket. I never fought one in court even if I disagreed, which I have. I've RACED cops who have pulled me over while I was in a car they hadn't seen often and were impressed by (nothing fancy, just rare here at the time) and I've had fun banters. And then on the flipside I've been required to follow along to the station while they ran NY plates in Quebec and made me stay for hours, twice. But even then we had fun talks. I've yet to live a really bad experience.

I feel like, in MY situation (who I am, what I drive, where I'm located) if I go into it with an open mind and I'm honest, it'll usually be a fine experience. I really can't think of bad ones. I've been ticketed heavily for minor things too though. It's weird when you're younger and get let off for doing 120 in a 70 (kms people, it's not AS bad) but then the next day get a hefty fine for a rolling stop which literally 90% of people here do, ALL THE TIME. Just don't argue, don't fight it. Makes up for the other times.

The ONE I fought was a cop in a suburb of Montreal who pulled me over for a modified exhaust that was legal and certified (and I had the papers) in NY where I was still plated. He said he saw me all the time, knew I lived in the area now and was gonna find a way to "get me". Never did. I just argued the ticket because I had papers. The Quebec DMV (SAAQ) sided with me and I never heard from him again. Eventually found out he lived pretty close to my gf's house at the time and had a modified Mustang that was WAY louder than my Eclipse (at the time, long while ago!). Bias, I guess. It happens. But I always use turn signals, always wear a seatbelt, don't touch my phone, and... well, I have no idea what California Braking is so... maybe I do, maybe I don't. I do speed. And pass cops regularly while doing so (I mean I see them parked with radar - I don't zoom past a cop at 140 while he's doing 110 - though I've certainly passed cops doing 100 in a 100, slowly at 110 which is accepted). I know what's accepted, where, and when. And I never push it.

Slow your roll. Be aware. Be honest. Don't endanger others.

n0razi

got pulled over at least 10 times from when I was 16 to about 20... grew up and havent had a single incident in over a decade... dont drive like a stupid teenager

I was about to agree with you but...20 in one year?

Sometimes you just get unlucky...and tbh the last 2 times I've gotten pulled over I was extremely unlucky. Getting pulled over for speeding when you're going with the flow of traffic is enraging

hollomat

Banned
I'm going to recommend something extremely unorthodox. Obey the speed limit and rules of the road especially if you have a cop behind. And record yourself so that you can prove you were obeying the law in case they still try to fuck you over.

shandy706

I had to put $548 down payment to Geico before they gave me mah policy, I pay $367 a month.

Bahaha

You've been pulled over more in one year than I have in 19 years. That includes me driving my Corvette and 2 Mustangs (all of which have had performance customizations).

My insurance on current three vehicles is like $105 a month for full coverage.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

That many tickets means you are a shit driver, not that the system is out to get you.

Royce McCutcheon

Is that funny? The no punctuation "lol" needs to die. You should probably take this more seriously. For the safety of yourself, others, and your financial future. This is not normal.

It's actually very normal if my traffic school was correct.

It's just that you never listen to anyone on here and never seem to want to take responsibility for your own actions.

I've paid my tickets, and most of my infractions were non speeding. All moving violations, like turn signals at a red light, I'm in a turn only lane, why do I have to turn on my blinkers.

Phu

Banned
I've paid my tickets, and most of my infractions were non speeding. All moving violations, like turn signals at a red light, I'm in a turn only lane, why do I have to turn on my blinkers.

See, that right there. You believe you do no wrong. Paying your tickets isn't taking responsibility, that's your punishment.

I got pulled over for going 87 in a 55 once, which I guess is a criminal offense. The DA sent me a letter stating I could take a defensive driving exam online and pay a $500 fine to keep it off my record, so that's what I did.

Makai

The other cars on the other side of the road can't see that your lane is turn only. It lets them know they need to let you go first and not blast through because they think it's their turn.

Irnbru

Dafuq. Really though, how do you even, Jesus Christ. I don't have a single ticket ever and I almost always drive a little over the speed limit. and I'm a so cal driver!

Instro

I mean, my speeding in construction was 60 in a 55, and no one was in that construction car I was looking. Those other ones are on me, but a lot if these stops were lower class neighborhoods, and they were always searching my shit. Like I've seen those dogs quite a few times. "Where you coming from, what are you doing here" Like, if this a signal ticket, just give me the damn ticket, what's the extra for. I drive a damn Chrysler, and they swear I sell dope. I've never been in an accident in 15 odd years., so I think I drive decent enough.

You were going 60 in a construction zone...?

XenIneX

It's actually very normal if my traffic school was correct.
It's normal for people who have to go to traffic school.

For shits `n giggles, I loaded up an insurance company's website to see how high a quote I could generate for my Honda. I literally couldn't get it above two-thirds what you're paying. And with that kind of coverage, I could down a fifth, sideswipe a van-load of nuns off a cliff, wrap myself around a telephone pole, and they'd still pay to gold-plate my casket.

Because you want to stop paying Geico enough to buy a new car. Because you don't want to be that guy perpetually two points away from losing his license. Because weekends pissed away on court-mandated traffic school suck.

Seriously. Drive like you've got a cop riding shotgun. Stop asking "why do I have to", and just accept that "I have to"... and eventually, it'll become "I just do". The points will fall off your license in a few years, and your insurance premiums will plummet.

Haven't been pulled over by a cop in well over a decade at this point. I consider myself a good driver. Always use my signal and it drives me crazy when people don't. Tend to stay within 5-10 MPH of the speed limit, always stay within the flow of traffic.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, OP. That's more times being pulled over than myself plus my entire family in our entire lives combined.

Top Bottom