• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU warns US it may respond swiftly to counter new sanctions on Russia

Buckle

Yes, everyone should bend over and pay for your internal political disputes.
Isn't Russia a European problem aswell after the french elections? Kind of seems like they're trying to screw everybody.

Just sick of the western world having ties to places like Russia and Saudi Arabia and just turning a blind eye to them.

We get tied up in their money and resources and then its like justice means nothing. Yes, I know we can't just do something like this without consequences but damn does it get annoying seeing them being able to potentially hide behind something like this and use the EU as a shield.

And I apologize for my earlier post, it was selfish of me. This whole thing over the past year has really been giving me the red ass.

SDCowboy

So if the EU doesn't even want the US to impose basic sanctions against Russia, what exactly would they want the US to do against them? Now is nothing what is wanted?

The US gets bashed if they don't punish Russia, then when sanctions are imposed, they get bashed for that. So what exactly does the international world want the US to do against them?

Irminsul

So if the EU doesn't even want the US to impose basic sanctions against Russia, what exactly would they want the US to do against them? Now is nothing what is wanted?
"Basic sanctions" are already in place. And European firms are hit much harder than American ones. Not just because of energy, Russia isn't actually that far away and you can do lots of different types of business.

This is just an externalisation of an internal conflict in the US.

If you want to play that game, the EU's dependency on Russia's oil is the EU's internal issue.
Not to mention the Russians influenced the Brexit vote and tried hacking the French elections. Putin and his lackeys are an actual threat to global democracy.

Yeah, I'm also siding more on the side of, "This is your own fault EU for being so dependent on open fascists."

slit

So because your system is broken and vulnerable to external interference the EU should sacrifice it's entire economy?

The EU can sacrifice whatever they want or don't want to. There is no way we can allow unfettered economic access between Trump and Putin. I'm sorry but the EU was always taking a risk relying on the Russian Federation for its energy and I'm not even saying they have to stop but the U.S. can't allow this to go on unchecked.

KingV

The EU has been asking America to coordinate the next round of sanctions against Russia because of this very reason.

Yeah, that's bullshit.

Europe has already sacrificed a significant part of its agri and industrial exports and it did it willingly because it understood that something needed to be done. But sanctions also need to be coordinated and carefully laid out because it's one thing to take a hit for the better good and a very different one to outright endanger yourself. You don't cut the nose to spite the face.

You lie down with dogs you get fleas. It's that simple.

I have no real sympathy for Europe if it wants to pursue some sort of Neville Chamberlain appeasement strategy with Putin because They like Russian natural gas.

Xando

Do you even know what you're talking about? The EU and the US have had sanctions in place for years and the EU takes a way bigger hit than the US.

What dems and republicans now did is they imposed new sanctions without consulting with their allies, ignoring the effects on their allies to boost american companies.

The EU can sacrifice whatever they want or don't want to. There is no way we can allow unfettered economic access between Trump and Putin. I'm sorry but the EU was always taking a risk relying on the Russian federation for it's energy and I'm not even saying they have to stop but the U.S. can't allow this to go on unchecked.

So again, because your system is broken your allies are supposed to get fucked over?

Yes, everyone should bend over and pay for your internal political disputes.
It's not like Russia has been attempting to meddle in your elections. Oh wait.

This attitude is idiotic. Russia is the enemy of NATO. This has not changed and will not so long as the current oligarchy remains in power. The EU is at fault for relying so much on Russian fossil fuel. You are solely responsible for any hardship these sanctions against our common enemy impose on you.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So if the EU doesn't even want the US to impose basic sanctions against Russia

Willful ignorance at display.

These actions, in close coordination with our EU and international partners, send a strong message to the Russian government that there are consequences for their actions that threaten the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine. The United States, together with international partners, will continue to stand by the Ukrainian government until Russia abides by its international obligations. The United States is prepared to take additional steps to impose further political and economic costs. A secure Ukraine, integrated with Europe and enjoying good relations with all its neighbors, is in the interests of the United States, Europe, and Russia.
The EU and America have taken coordinated actions against Russia in the past. The EU is investigating European companies (such as Siemens, which is no small fry) because they may have maneuvered against them. Just a couple of days ago Germany was asking for more sanctions.

This is America going solo and telling Europe to endanger their energy sector to spite Putin. Of course the EU are going to freak out. They want to punish him, not to shoot themselves in the foot.

oti

Banned

The US gets bashed if they don't punish Russia, then when sanctions are imposed, they get bashed for that. So what exactly does the international world want the US to do against them?

How about this:

Sanction Russia without harming your strongest allies.

Whoah!

Not to forget there are already costly sanctions in place for the EU, but let's forget about that since we want to be the good guys again.

USA USA USA

avaya

It's the decisions of sovereign states if they join the EU or the NATO.

Can't replace gas.

Please drink more nuclear lobby kool aid.

No thanks, I just rely on science, German's used to be forward thinking instead of acting like headless chickens when it comes to this issue. I guess Merkel had to pander to the batshit insane elements of the Green vote. That same problem is even rearing its head in France these days.

People with their head in the sand thinking other sources will solve the energy problem. There was only viable solution and it will remain the only viable solution. Nuclear.

The EU sure has a fantastic look, sitting there and cosying up to a fascist state because it continues to make itself more reliant on gas and continue to live in the fantasy that renewables will be nothing more than window dressing in base load.

Being anti-nuclear is the functional equivalent of being anti-vaxxer and being pro-proverty.

Wow, I knew Putin owned the US now, but I didn't realize he grabbed the EU in the middle of the night too.

That mofo sure knows how to stage a coup.

Lesath

Tired of this disclaimer. It's a fact that as a country under your own electoral system you elected him. Everyone knows he didn't win the popular vote at this point.

Let me guess, Russia did it.

I opened a window to have a conversation about the alternatives the Unites States can realistically take at this juncture, but let's just nitpick about five words I wrote, why the fuck not?

Xando

Sounds like your system is broken and vulnerable to external influence if it's reliant on Russian energy.

Not sure what the energy situation has to do with our democratic elections.

Btw. France system didn't break because external influence from russia.

I guess so since it is the only way to even start the process of fixing the system.

And you wonder why the EU isn't willing to take another hit for you?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I am sorry for my bad post everyone. I am just pissed at the world and the increasing isolation of America and overreacted.

KingV

How about this:

Sanction Russia without harming your strongest allies.

Whoah!

Not to forget there are already costly sanctions in place fore the EU, but let's forget about that since we want to be the good guys again.

USA USA USA

How about the EU doesn't complain when it gets called for propping up rogue nations?

Yes the US does it too, and when it backfires, then I see that as a step in the right direction.

No thanks, I just rely on science, German's used to be forward thinking instead of acting like headless chickens when it comes to this issue. I guess Merkel had to pander to the batshit insane elements of the Green vote. That same problem is even rearing its head in France these days.

People with their head in the sand thinking other sources will solve the energy problem. There was only viable solution and it will remain the only viable solution. Nuclear.

The EU sure has a fantastic look, sitting there and cosying up to a fascist state because it continues to make itself more reliant on gas and continue to live in the fantasy that renewables will be nothing more than window dressing in base load.

Being anti-nuclear is the functional equivalent of being anti-vaxxer and being pro-proverty.

Where do you think European uranium comes from, roughly in the same proportion as gas from Russia?

Hint: it's Russia.

avaya

Not sure what the energy situation has to do with our democratic elections.

Btw. France system didn't break because external influence from russia.

Germany is beholden to appeasing Russia due to the natural gas issue. It is nothing short of a total disgrace. Indefensible. Shameful. France is basically energy independent due to Nuclear. France does not need to compromise its values.

slit

And you wonder why the EU isn't willing to take another hit for you?

I'm not saying the EU has to do anything, I'm saying there is a problem that has to be fixed. Do you have alternative? I'd love to hear it or do you think we should let this slide because the EU decided to siphon energy from Russia?

oti

Banned
How about the EU doesn't complain when it gets called for propping up rogue nations?

Yes the US does it too, and when it backfires, then I see that as a step in the right direction.

Independence from Russian energy is the favourable situation, nobody's denying that.
That's not the case right now, unfortunately. Instead of American politicians doing their great PR circus to get all the patriots pumped, they should cooperate with their allies to find a better, more complicated solution.

You know. Politics.

All the reason Trump needs to veto and play it like he's the hero. His base will eat it up despite him shitting on Europe for so long.

I'm probably (See also; definitely) just an angry American when it comes to Russia but I don't really care if it effects Europe unless it's hugely detrimental. They attacked us. They attacked EU members. They are occupying Ukraine. It's time to get tougher with Russia. That being said, I hope we can find away to hurt Russia and not hurt the EU at all.

Which EU members has Russia attacked? And when has Russia attacked the US? Ukraine and Georgia are not EU members, not sure what you are referring to

KingV

Independence from Russian energy is the favourable situation, nobody's denying that.
That's not the case right now, unfortunately. Instead of American politicians doing their great PR circus to get all the patriots pumped, they should cooperate with their allies to find a better, more complicated solution.

You know. Politics.

I call it appeasement.

kingkaiser

If you want to play that game, the EU's dependency on Russia's oil is the EU's internal issue.

Well, USA's pitiful rivalry with Russia regarding meddling in private affairs of sovereign countries is pretty much an US internal issue. Why should Europe let punish itself for US Cowboy politics?

Lesath

So because your system is broken and vulnerable to external interference the EU should sacrifice it's entire economy?

I mean if this really becomes EU interests versus US interests we know where people actually stand is dependent on where they live, as seen in this thread. A bit of a moot point there, isn't it?

And taking that further, an energy-weak EU is bad for Western interests as a whole, just as a United States leadership puppeted by Russia. I'd really like anyone versed in international politics to give their opinion beyond the personal stake a lot of us in this thread have in the matter.

Xando

Germany is beholden to appeasing Russia due to the natural gas issue. It is nothing short of a total disgrace. Indefensible. Shameful. France is basically energy independent due to Nuclear. France does not need to compromise its values.

I know you have a hard on for nuclear energy but please again link me towards a nuclear powered car or are you just ignoring my post as before?

And taking that further, an energy-weak EU is bad for Western interests as a whole, just as a United States leadership puppeted by Russia. I'd really like anyone versed in international politics to give their opinion beyond the personal stake a lot of us in this thread have in the matter.
It's a quick shot by dems and republicans to gain some profile and proof they're not all russian puppets. Previous sanctions have been well coordinated with US allies (in this case the EU) but on this case there was no coordination and US politicians target european companies on purpose.

I opened a window to have a conversation about the alternatives the Unites States can realistically take at this juncture, but let's just nitpick about five words I wrote, why the fuck not?

Oh come on. You were the one nitpicking. Trump won the election, we don't need to hear about the popular vote every time someone says it. You knew what I meant.

cdyhybrid

Tired of this disclaimer. It's a fact that as a country under your own electoral system you elected him. Everyone knows he didn't win the popular vote at this point.

Let me guess, Russia did it.
This is a fluid situation. We have a golden opportunity to work together to hose down Russia. I think you need to take a shower and relax.

avaya

Where do you think European uranium comes from, roughly in the same proportion as gas from Russia?

Hint: it's Russia.

???

Do you realise Uranium is a relatively abundant material that you can source from multiple countries who are also allies? This is besides the point, nuclear power is not crippled by a lack of fuel.

Trump opening up American energy trade to Poland was a big part of his visit. Unfortunately the American Congress can only pass a bipartisan bill when it's completely idiotic.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Wait, as the EU are we actually more friendly with Russia than America?

How are we supposed to punish Russia, if Russia knows that we rely on it for fuel? Surely if Russia starts hurting at all then it can just fuck us? Why would sanctions from us work then, in that case?

Renewable energy is the headless chicken? If you know something about science and energy you would knoe that gas power plants are typical mid and peak load plants - both fields where you don't to see any nuclear power plants operating.

Nuclear energy is not just sluggish and expensive but it would only cement the status quo while renewable energy is the only solution for co2 neutral and independent energy production.

oti

Banned
I call it appeasement.

I get that real politics aren't as satisfying as the US playing the big powerful guy here. But by harming your biggest allies you will only harm yourself. There are other, less flashy and way smarter ways to go about this.

Expecting smart politics from the US might be a bit too much though.

KingV

Well, USA's pity rivalry with Russia regarding meddling in private affairs of sovereign countries is pretty much an US internal issue. Why should Europe let punish itself for US Cowboy politics?

1) it affects Europe too
2) I'm not sure what Europe can do to stop it
3) This shows that the EU doesn't really want to stop Putin from meddling in EU and NATO affairs. It's penny smart but pound foolish to let Putin off easy. It will embolden him to meddle more directly in all of the EU affairs, and is definitely a low-key appeasement strategy.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
"The EU should have moved away from Russian gas"

Please take a look at a world map, then take a look at a timeline.

Maybe then you'll realise that you are asking for a literal paradigm shift in terms of policy and economics (by peaceful means, no less) in record time.

The EU (well, some EU members at least) shouldn't be so reliant on Russian gas and Germany deserves to be tarred and feathered, but this is not something that could be easily solved and America can't expect the EU to jump on a grenade just to show Putin who's boss. It's literally asking the EU to make itself weak and sacrifice its own energy safety just to make a point.

Top Bottom