• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21% of Republicans: Killing civilians for political causes can sometimes be justified

Joe

I sourced the wrong table/data in the closed thread.

Correct data here at bottom: http://www.pewforum.org/2017/07/26/terrorism-and-concerns-about-extremism/

Further sourcing from Pew Research Demographer: https://twitter.com/conradhackett/status/890112702949056512

'Can killing civilians to further political, social, or religious causes be justified?'

Sometimes/often:

Republicans: 21%
Democrats: 10%
Catholics: 16%
Protestants: 14%
Muslims: 12%

PF_2017.06.26_muslimamericans-05-01.png

Caelus

And this is just for outright targeting and killing.

But way more than 21% are fine with indirectly killing civilians for political causes - structural violence due to poverty and lack of health care.

DonShula

Hey, it went up from 19% to 21% with the correct data. Republicans now 2% more reprehensible than we originally believed.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You also have to realize that this is US Muslims only, who have a great likelihood of being immigrants that had to deal with this shit in their original country.

Wow, worse than Muslims, how do you fancy that? Republicans are bigger terrorists than those dastardly muslims, who woulda thunk?

Hazmat

So, I realize I'm being pedantic, but the question they answered was about "social, political, or religious" causes, not just political ones. I think people who say yes either way are awful, but the thread title is wrong.

Funny how Dems and College-educated people are less likely to wanna murder you up for your politics.

Maybe being... INTELLIGENT has something to do with it?

these questions are useless clickbait.

millions of different people have different ideas of what is violence, civilians, what goals are valid, etc. the question as presented does not clarify any of those which makes the results rather useless for divining what these responses mean.

republicans already clearly will support horrible and vile policies. using vaguely worded hypothicals to make stupid and easily counter able points is the worst kind of lazieness to make one feel as if they're superior

the respondents to these questions also often times don't answer the question but give signaling responses based on perceived expected responses based on partisan cues

emag

I'm not sure what your point is. We are talking about US Muslims polled.

You're either misinterpreting the table or the article or both. The numbers are for US population as a whole, not only Muslims.

Also, the vast majority of US Muslims are not immigrants.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You're either misinterpreting the table or the article or both. The numbers are for US population as a whole, not only Muslims.

Another discussion in this thread is talking about the percentages among US Muslims, US Christian denominations, etc.

emag

Another discussion in this thread is talking about the percentages among US Muslims, US Christian denominations, etc.

The plurality of refugees who entered the US in the last ten (or twenty, or thirty) years are Christian. Muslims are indeed overrepresented in the refugee population vis-a-vis the general population, to be fair, but not so much as to account for the differences in responses.

Besides, isn't the argument from the right that immigrant/refugee Muslims are *more* likely to be/support terrorism?

13ruce

Banned
People who think that innocents sometimes deserve dead cuz of political and other dumb reasons? Those kind of idiots don't deserve to live with such crazy thoughts.

DavidDesu

As long as it's not them...

That definition sounds pretty much like terrorism to me, and I'm surprised not one jot republicans are way out ahead when it comes to using terrorism to get their way. I mean FFS the NRA is a terrorist apologist organisation FFS.

I'm ready for the US to split apart. I don't want to live in money worshipping faux Christian America anymore. Let me move to the United States of Canada.

some dems seem to wish all republicans would disappear from the earth, which seems like a lot of mass murder for a political cause.

Top Bottom