• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF plays...31 Nights of Horror...5

badflame

Banned
I was going to play this, but I ended up watching a playthrough instead. I don't think I would have enjoyed the game.

Of course no one playing now can have the feeling I had (or anyone else) playing in 1992. The fresh 3D characters of that time, now are horrible and obsolete objects.

Speaking of PSX; Any horror gems from the PSX-era besides the Resident Evils and Silent Hills I should be aware of?

"Parasite Eve", "D", "Galerians", "Legacy of Kain", "Nightmare Creatures"...

Speaking of PSX; Any horror gems from the PSX-era besides the Resident Evils and Silent Hills I should be aware of?

I would recommend checking out both of these titles:

Clock Tower
D (It's on Steam now)

I haven't played these, but they're PS1 horror titles that a lot of people like

Overblood
Hellnight (PAL)
Chaos Break (PAL)
Fear Effect 1/2
Juggernaut
Echo Night
Countdown Vampires

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Just burned through Castlevania 2 and 3 in a single sitting.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Finished Resident Evil, I have no idea how people finish this in sub 3 hours. I need to see speed runs. Those strange fly creatures at the end were the most disturbing things about the game!

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I beat Castlevania 4 as well, bringing the total of games I beat today up to 3.

Spyware

5uLaWUx.jpg

Finished Rule of Rose this morning.
That was a disturbing experience!

As said, It don't really have a problem with tedious gameplay for myself, I just truck on if there is something else interesting (like the story). But it makes me sad to experience it in an otherwise great game. It could have been soooo good! It's strange when no part of the gameplay is the least bit fun. In this game, the fights are terribly annoying (that collision detection...), as are the narrow corridors and small rooms. Everything between the cutscenes and text reading is just stuff you have to try to get past to get to the next part of the story or the next note, and that's sad.

But enough negative stuff! I really liked the rest!
I loved the creepyness, the "what the fuuuuck is happening!?" feeling and the slow and obscure way it all unfolded. I would have gladly replayed it to pick up on the details I missed if it wasn't for the gameplay being... well, not very enjoyable ;)
I ended up checking the wiki instead and that cleared up a couple of things. It's a really unique story and they way they tell it is fascinating.

It's hard to recommend it due to the problems, but if fucked up stories are your thing you should probably give it a chance :)

I also really like Rule of Rose. If you can find a way to play it, it's well worth the experience. The atmosphere and mood is some of the best from any horror game.

It's by the team who made Chulip, and many of the folks who worked on Moon: RPG Remix.

Teknoman

The movie marathon is doable but I don't think I can clear 31 horror games in a month.

Doesn't have to be 31 games, just see how many you can experience before the month is over.

Also I dunno what I'm doing in yomawari. I'm guessing I need to make it to that red x on the map to find her sister and dog...but it seems everything is blocked. The items are just collectibles?

Luminaire

Aw yiss @ the Koudelka posts.

I might just play it again since I'll need to shelve whatever I play once Evil Within 2 comes out.

Playing Fatal Frame, really feels like such a well thought out game. The atmosphere is extremely tense since you never know what direction an enemy might come at you from. The combat is a lot of fun and every single encounter I have come across so far feels distinct since most of them have been unique ghosts with their own movement patterns to track. A really inventive and intelligent game overall. Wish the voice acting could be better, but that's just something you have to accept with these older horror games really. Can't wait to try the sequels too, purchased them earlier this week.

Annnnd I reached Chapter 14 of The Evil Within.

Everything up to and including chapter 10 has been pretty fucking great to be honest. But starting with Chapter 11 it began to take a nose dive. There's been bits of really solid sections of the latter chapters but overall they don't really hold up to how solid the beginning chapters.

The change in focus was a bit annoying. I get the feeling I'm close to finishing. Even if it stopped now I think overall it's been a really fun game to play through.

mnD0HhV.png

Pretty hyped to check this out.
Fortunately, the seller was willing to barter a bit.

Also, unfortunately my second disc for D2 isn't reading, even though it looks fine. Gotta take that to a shop and have it cleaned I guess.

BTails

Finally got a chance to get back to Sweet Home. Was able to figure out what I needed to continue around the lake, and have gotten halfway through the basement. The plot is starting to pick up, and getting creepier and creepier. I'm surprised by how well the notes and other scraps of info are really setting up how terrible the final villain will be.

I came across my new least favourite enemy too, the Wraith. These guys can blow wind, and if it's successful, it'll blow a character into another random room of the house. Usually that character ends up FAR away from my parties, so generally I'll just reset the game at that point, since it's so quick to get back to your save game.

Seriously, F those guys.

Luminaire

Playing Fatal Frame, really feels like such a well thought out game. The atmosphere is extremely tense since you never know what direction an enemy might come at you from. The combat is a lot of fun and every single encounter I have come across so far feels distinct since most of them have been unique ghosts with their own movement patterns to track. A really inventive and intelligent game overall. Wish the voice acting could be better, but that's just something you have to accept with these older horror games really. Can't wait to try the sequels too, purchased them earlier this week.
I just beat this recently! Really good and very intense. The voice acting was so stiff but overall it was a great game. Spacing out the sequels between other games myself but I’m excited to tackle FF 2 and 3.

Patison

As I have no means of actually playing Rule of Rose, I am watching pretty great let's play of it: https://youtu.be/qF2WrCegJrE

This one is pretty awesome, because this guy's comments are in-universe, with him trying to piece together everything that is happening and only occasional acknowledgement of some obvious flaws of the game, namely combat and shitload of backtracking.

When it comes to latter he smartly edits more tedious parts, but it never feels like something's missing.

Oh, and obviously it is nice when the person playing knows what they are doing.

Highly recommended!

When I'm finished with that I will try to finally get through DreadOut.

NESpowerhouse

Just finished Castlevania Bloodlines for the first time... hoo boy, I was not expecting that awesome rendition of Simon's theme before the Dracula fight. In my opinion, it even trumps the Super Nintendo original.

piggychan

cutesy platformer on the pc engine called: Makai Prince Dorabocchan

The young vampire Dorabo is on a mission to help his master defeat evil demons.

I kinda wished this game was more taxing on it's platform.
5EJP3w1.jpg

O36LigT.jpg

Just went to our thrift shop on base to drop off some clothes and to my surprise they had a UK copy of Siren: Blood Curse for PS3 between their amass of Sims games and old PC discs.

For $2.50 I couldn't pass and I'm excited to give it a try tonight.

Spyware

This is really not going the way I wanted. I planned on streaming a looot of spooky games all of spooktober but I got really sick three weeks back and still haven't gotten my voice back (seriously, I sound like a crow coughing up my lungs most days and sometimes like an evil witch or something). That makes it kinda hard to stream the way I want to.
Anyway, this keeps me from playing the games I planned because I wanna save them for the streams! Ugh.

Sorry for whining, I'm just really frustrated.

3ldSp1T.png

I started playing DarkMaus today because I wanted something short to play. After a while I though that it might fit in here even tho I didn't think of it that way before I started.
It's a shameless Dark Souls clone but with a creepier look and way more "sinister" atmosphere. And hard, which I don't find Dark Souls to be. Or I guess that means DarkMaus is a bit unfair, the thing Souls never feels like. It's still pretty good tho, thus far.

So what do you think. Spooky enough?
Trailer

Luminaire

This is really not going the way I wanted. I planned on streaming a looot of spooky games all of spooktober but I got really sick three weeks back and still haven't gotten my voice back (seriously, I sound like a crow coughing up my lungs most days and sometimes like an evil witch or something). That makes it kinda hard to stream the way I want to.
Anyway, this keeps me from playing the games I planned because I wanna save them for the streams! Ugh.

Sorry for whining, I'm just really frustrated.

3ldSp1T.png

I started playing DarkMaus today because I wanted something short to play. After a while I though that it might fit in here even tho I didn't think of it that way before I started.
It's a shameless Dark Souls clone but with a creepier look and way more "sinister" atmosphere. And hard, which I don't find Dark Souls to be. Or I guess that means DarkMaus is a bit unfair, the thing Souls never feels like. It's still pretty good tho, thus far.

So what do you think. Spooky enough?
Trailer

Looks a bit like a flash game due to movement, but it seems like it'd have a fairly creepy atmosphere. Washing up on islands is never good for anyone.

I started up The Evil Within 2 and like it a lot so far. Wondering if maybe I shouldn't have put it on Nightmare Difficulty as I die in one or two hits and load times are fairly long...

taoofjord

I finished Conarium last weekend and enjoyed it. I'd recommend checking it out if you've already played through the recent top-tier stuff (such as Soma), especially if you're a fan of weird fiction or Lovecraft.

I'm also playing through Alien: Isolation. I'm still early in but I may not keep going. There's so much I like about the game, but I'm not loving the AI for the alien. It's made the game a little tedious (and I'm only about 3 or so hours in of what I believe is a very long game). If I do give up on it I'd definitely plan on skimming through a let's play so I can see the rest of the game.

I also picked up The Evil Within 2 which I've only just started. I'll dig into that more this weekend.

Spyware

Looks a bit like a flash game due to movement, but it seems like it'd have a fairly creepy atmosphere. Washing up on islands is never good for anyone.
Yeah I've finished it once now and soon NG+ too, and it's very obviously a one man project.
It does have a mega creepy atmosphere! All the way through the game you have that feeling of dread and vulnerability. Everything is out to hurt you and you have little means of protection. Especially an hour or two into it when you start getting "hunted".
A message shows, stressful music starts playing and from somewhere a powerful ghostly enemy will appear and try to kill you.

Definitely spooky enough for a mention in here ^^

CosmicElement

Neo Member
I just replayed Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Amnesia: Justine because of PS+. Maybe I'll actually finish Amnesia: Machine for Pigs too.

Also played a bunch of the indies highlighted in Dusk Golem's thread. Bendy and the Ink Machine, a bit of Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion, Black, Contemp, I woke up next to you again (which hit me surprisingly hard...), Mirror Layers (until they expected me to find keys online lol).

I was thinking of replaying Deadly Premonition and Silent Hill 1 or 3 and Soma again. While I wait for a price drop on The Evil Within 2 😭

MattyH

As said, It don't really have a problem with tedious gameplay for myself, I just truck on if there is something else interesting (like the story). But it makes me sad to experience it in an otherwise great game. It could have been soooo good! It's strange when no part of the gameplay is the least bit fun. In this game, the fights are terribly annoying (that collision detection...), as are the narrow corridors and small rooms. Everything between the cutscenes and text reading is just stuff you have to try to get past to get to the next part of the story or the next note, and that's sad.

I loved the creepyness, the "what the fuuuuck is happening!?" feeling and the slow and obscure way it all unfolded. I would have gladly replayed it to pick up on the details I missed if it wasn't for the gameplay being... well, not very enjoyable ;)
I ended up checking the wiki instead and that cleared up a couple of things. It's a really unique story and they way they tell it is fascinating.

It's hard to recommend it due to the problems, but if fucked up stories are your thing you should probably give it a chance :)

im starting this soon had to order a nstc version so i didnt have to use my euro copy

Bastion

I started focusing on horror games in late September. I love this time of year! I am currently working on Outlast 2, The Bellows, Dangonranpa V3(kind of horror when you think about what's going on), The Evil Within 2.

-Butcher(2017)-Switch-Beaten on September 29
-I love this game! I loved the gunplay and the atmosphere and the music and the entire game. It is a like Doom in 2D with a mix of Hotline Miami. Highly recommended! 10/10

-The Evil Within-The Assignment DLC(2015)-PS4-Beaten on October 1
-I beat the main game a couple of years ago and recently bought the DLC during a PSN sale. I figured it was time to play it with The Evil Within 2 coming out soon. Anyway, I really enjoyed this dlc. It was much more stealth based which I really enjoyed and had great horror atmsohphere! 9/10

-The Evil Within-The Consequence DLC(2015)-PS4-Beaten on October 3
-Again, I really liked this dlc for the same reasons as The Assignment. Good horror atmosphere. 9/10

-The Evil Within-The Executioner DLC(2015)-PS4-Beaten on October 5
-Thisw as much different than the other two DLC's and that ok. Is was action based and a lot of fun. Bring on The Evil Within 2! 8/10

-Detention(2017)-PS4-Beaten on October 6
-As I continue to play horror games this month, this was a 2D sidescrolling game that just came out on PS4. I have to say that that 2D does not work very well for horror in my opinion. This was an ok game with good music and atmosphere but one I was looking forward to getting over. 6/10

-The Invisible Hours(2017)-PSVR-Beaten on October 14
-This is my new favorite PSVR game. It was sooo good. Keep in mind that this is a story driven murder mystery where I played as an observer only. The idea is to figure out who committed the murder by following all the different people and listen to their conversations. As long as you can live with a game with actual gameplay besides moving around, this comes highly recommended. 10/10

-Don't Knock Twice(2017)-PSVR-Beaten on October 15
-I love horror movies and horror games but I think that horror games in VR are now my favorite way to experience horror. This game is exactly what you would expect. You walk around a scary house with jump scares. It works very well and I enjoyed my 3-4 hours with it. Of course it's a little roug h around the edges but still a good horror experience. More please! 7/10

Spyware

Needed something nice and easy for some mindless fun.
Picked Viscera Cleanup Detail: House of Horror. What a good choice that was!

I have only played the Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior before and liked it. This one was even better!

You're tasked with cleaning a house where about 35 people were killed in different gruesome ways. The game is packed with classic horror references. You can find things like an axe lodged in a bathroom door, a hockey mask and a machete in the woods, a white mask together with a knife and so on. There is even
one little
jump scare
involving the deer from Evil Dead 2 :D
. There is quite a tense atmosphere in some parts of the level too.

My favourite part was that the usual "item" destroyer was changed from an incinerator to a woodchipper
...and aimed so that everything coming out of it landed in the neighbours yard! :D

Just finished Snatcher for the first time. Besides it being an incredible game, I'd say it has strong horror vibes. Really recommend it.
Blade Runner x Invasion of the Body Snatchers x Kojima.

Finished up The Evil Within last week and went right into The Evil Within 2.

Only on Chapter 3 so far but while it doesn't feel like an Evil Within game, I'm still having a fucking blast playing it.

tav7623

Update 1:

It's been about 2 weeks since my last post so I thought I'd do a little update post.

Friday the 13th: The Game - Been playing this game just about every other day and with the new Jarvis map, Part IV Jason, and the rain update all dropping late last week I've been having a blast playing through the new content. I also absolutely love the rain/thunderstorm update as it sounds fantastic when using a headset and imo definitely adds to the game's atmosphere.

Narcosis - I finished this game about a week and a half ago, but decided to not do a post about it immediately afterwards cause I wanted to let it sit for a bit. Now that I have, my overall thoughts and feelings of the game are essentially the same as my initial impressions (which I had posted here on Oct.3) in that I was pretty impressed with the game (from my understanding this was made by a small indie studio and yet looks like a bigger studio had made it) as it's graphic & overall game design makes it very atmospheric/immersive and makes you feel very claustrophobic. On top of that the game is very story driven (all of which are things I tend to like in games) which on the down side means that outside of a few collectables there really isn't too much in the way replayability as you essentially know what is coming (i.e the story beats/plot twists) once you've played through it the first time. As far as negatives go the only real negative things I have to say involve the game's checkpoint system which led to some frustration about halfway through the game as there are times where it is very generous in saving while other times (particularly around the halfway mark) where it's very stingy leading to moments where you have to redo a sizeable section if you die. Other than that I rather enjoyed my time with this game and would highly recommend it if you are looking for a slow paced, story driven horror game oozing with creepy atmosphere, but if you don't like "walking sim" games (which this game imo technically qualifies as even though it does have some platforming, puzzle solving, & light combat segments that most "walking sims" I've played...which aren't many.... don't have) or want a faster paced (i.e more action oriented) horror game you might want to look else where.

The Evil Within 2 - I enjoyed the first game so I decided to pick this game up and after putting in about 8 hrs (I'm did a lot of exploring & dying so I'm only currently around ch. 7 & 8) so far I'm really liking the game though I do kinda wish that I had replayed the first game again before jumping in simply because there were a few things (not story related) that I had completely forgotten about (like hunting down those breakable hidden statues that have locker keys you can use to get extra supplies) until I had gotten to about ch. 5 before "remembering" that that was a thing.

Taruranto

Did you get the "good" ending?

Personally I don't find RoR very scary, it's more... melancholy? Weirdly confusing? Most of the time.

I forgot how terrible the credits song in Silent Hill 3 is.

Really? I think the way it uses the Silent Hill's theme to bring things to full circle is utterly brilliant. I recognize that Joe Romersa has a... particular voice, tho.

Spyware

One more game to go in this series!

3GMMZtL.jpg

I had played both of the Forbidden Siren games before but this one is completely new to me. Gonna try to ignore that I've heard good things about this and go in without expectations. I don't want to be disappointed ;D

Luminaire

One more game to go in this series!

3GMMZtL.jpg

I had played both of the Forbidden Siren games before but this one is completely new to me. Gonna try to ignore that I've heard good things about this and go in without expectations. I don't want to be disappointed ;D

I’ve always wanted to play this, but it’s always been like $40 or more. I enjoyed the demo a lot.

BTails

So if I only own a PS4 I'm guessing I'm shit out of luck on playing any Silent Hill games?

Yup, unless you have PT installed on it...

I took a break from horror as I had a friend in town, but I'm back to trying to finish Sweet Home, especially considering I have Evil Within 2 to start! The puzzles are getting rather obtuse, with me having to talk to a character while holding two specific items, and the character holding the items had to be leading the party, then after using both items you had to pray... But I've continued to make progress.

I also met the Lady of the House, who threatened me before swiftly flinging my party across the mansion.

y3U8S4M.jpg

I've also come across quite possibly the most Resident Evil-esque puzzle yet: a projector. I've found the projector, and one slide. The slide shows about half a picture when inserted, which means I need to find two slides to complete the image.

Tried my first playthrough of Resident Evil HD on PS4 yesterday and unfortunately I can’t seem to get over the tiny inventory space and the,to me, ridiculous backtracking because of it. Also the fact that you can basically screw up right in the beginning when you pick up too many items before you unlock the room with the chest.

I love he atmosphere and he graphics are still very good, but I wish they’d modernized it a little bit when porting it to PS4. On the other side RE7 was a blast and did the inventory management right.

BTails

Tried my first playthrough of Resident Evil HD on PS4 yesterday and unfortunately I can't seem to get over the tiny inventory space and the,to me, ridiculous backtracking because of it. Also the fact that you can basically screw up right in the beginning when you pick up too many items before you unlock the room with the chest.

I love he atmosphere and he graphics are still very good, but I wish they'd modernized it a little bit when porting it to PS4. On the other side RE7 was a blast and did the inventory management right.

Inventory Management is something that has been present in almost every Resident Evil game, it's a staple of the series, especially the first few entries. The first game in particular has a ton of backtracking, whether you have the right items or not.

If you're willing to give it a chance, here are some tips:
  • Play as Jill. Her game is a bit easier, and she has 8 Inventory slots compared to Chris' 6.
  • Don't pick up every item you see. Green Herbs can be left lying around for when you need them, as you'll move back and forth through many rooms where they're located.
  • You can always combine 2 green herbs for a stronger healing item that takes up less space. Red + Green herb is still the best though.
  • Don't hang onto Ink Ribbons. Almost every room with a typewriter also has an Item Box.
  • Don't be afraid to restart from a previous save. Go through the next section of the mansion, killing every zombie and searching every room, while taking note of items/placement. Then load your game, and do it again, avoiding enemies/items/whole rooms where possible.
  • This last point also rings true for puzzles. If the item you need is in an item box, and you just saved, reload.
  • Don't worry too much about how many Ink Ribbons you have left. Especially in REmake, you usually get many ribbons every time you find a new save room (Unless playing on harder difficulties).

Hopefully these tips give you some motivation to try again, because once Resident Evil clicks, it REALLY CLICKS.

Tried my first playthrough of Resident Evil HD on PS4 yesterday and unfortunately I can't seem to get over the tiny inventory space and the,to me, ridiculous backtracking because of it. Also the fact that you can basically screw up right in the beginning when you pick up too many items before you unlock the room with the chest.

I love he atmosphere and he graphics are still very good, but I wish they'd modernized it a little bit when porting it to PS4. On the other side RE7 was a blast and did the inventory management right.

Like the above poster said, I'd recommend giving it another shot. REmake is, in my opinion one of the best games ever produced. At the very least it's my favorite Shinji Mikami game.

If they were to ease up on the inventory restrictions it would cripple the game. It's designed so that you have to really consider your inventory.
For example, when you leave the safe room you gotta decide, are you going to take an extra healing item and ammo to play it safe or go light and play risky. You gotta learn the best paths around the mansion and sometimes even plan out the route you're going to take. As was said above, when it clicks, it clicks.

Top Bottom