• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupaNaab

Did anyone watch the entire Kripparian/Athene video? I'd love to know why they think DH's will have Inferno viability trouble, but I can't sit through an hour of their talking to find out.

In short, many Demon Hunter skills focus a lot on controlling enemies (i.e. stun) and this is probably less and less effective in higher difficulties. They predicted that stun reduction in Inferno could be as high as 90%. It took a group vote to actually decide to not use a DH in their four man group though because balance appears to be extremely close. Kripp also suggested DH is the best speed levelling class. Ultimately the DH was probably removed from their 4man because of the dependancy on knowledge of the game. They felt one of their best strats involving a DH using Rain of Vengeance's AoE stun with other AoE (i.e. Wizards frost nova) while a Barb Earthquakes was too likely to be nerfed in Inferno.

LordCanti

In short, many Demon Hunter skills focus a lot on controlling enemies (i.e. stun) and this is probably less and less effective in higher difficulties. They predicted that stun reduction in Inferno could be as high as 90%. It took a group vote to actually decide to not use a DH in their four man group though because balance appears to be extremely close. Kripp also suggested DH is the best speed levelling class. Ultimately the DH was probably removed from their 4man because of the dependancy on knowledge of the game. They felt one of their best strats involving a DH using Rain of Vengeance's AoE stun with other AoE (i.e. Wizards frost nova) while a Barb Earthquakes was too likely to be nerfed in Inferno.

They think the stun duration will be so low in Inferno that it will cripple the DH's mechanics.

Makes sense I guess. I hope they're wrong, because I'm pretty much sold on DH as my main.

forrest

formerly nacire
Makes sense I guess. I hope they're wrong, because I'm pretty much sold on DH as my main.

He also said it was an extremely close call and they had to vote for which class to leave out. Not everyone voted for the DH. Ultimately all the classes are extremely balanced and extremely close to one another. But as others have said, their initial idea was a stun-lock group and as stuns are less effective in harder difficulties, they decided to not use the demon hunter.

*Beaten by SupaNaab

Even if they're right, it almost certainly won't matter unless you're aiming for world first type play. I doubt that any one class is gimped in Inferno to the point where it's really not viable, in which case they'll have to balance it

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yep! EU HC here boys, hook me up with dat pm!

branny

Doesn't Rain of Vengeance have something like a 30 second cooldown, anyway?

Considering how characters are a lot less one-dimensional in D3 than they are in D2, I wouldn't worry too much about the DH's viability in Inferno. If her crowd control is less effective, you'll just have to use a build centered around the inevitability of getting swarmed.

Of course, a 4-man team will try to optimize synergy in other ways, but yeah.

Punisher

Neo Member

Neogaf: Punisher
Battletag: Zanthar#1391
Region: Asia
Class: Probably Barbarian for starters

Does anyone know if there's gonna be more than one realm in Asia? I guess South Korea will have it's own server right?

Wonder if that one is gonna be accessible for people that don't live in South Korea, probably will have the best ping there since I live in Japan.

We should make a sub-community of gaffers playing HC mode.
We are going to need as much as support as possible between us. Also we can arrange some team building and make characters builds that play great together: like a tank barb, dps wiz/dh and support monk

Sign me up for the HC Support Group.

First goal: To see how far a melee Wizard can make it...

Damn, I really want to go HC but I'm too scared. I was scared in D2 and nothing has changed.

Actually if anything, Hardcore is now more Hardcore. No portal cheesing and no body recovery at the very least (there may be another reason or two I'm forgetting - kind of quoting from something I read earlier).

MooMoo

I had a dream last night that I was in bed watching d2 let's plays on my iPad. What was I doing before I fell asleep? Watching D2 let's plays on my iPad.

*scratches arm and shakes
Haha I can totally relate...although at least with you it's gaming-related stuff. Recently the same thing has been happening to me except with school related stuff. At first I kind of freaked out/was miserable about the whole thing because dreaming about studying after going through an actual study session is well, depressing and not exactly the best kind of sleep. But then I realized that it's kinda awesome that I actually retain whatever info I study in my dreams, so it's like sleeping + studying at the same time!

Anyways back on topic, D2 let's plays eh? I know what I'll be doing for the next few hours!

Kalnos

Banned
Actually if anything, Hardcore is now more Hardcore. No portal cheesing and no body recovery at the very least (there may be another reason or two I'm forgetting - kind of quoting from something I read earlier).

There's a timer before you can disconnect IIRC so you can't quickly log off to save your character.

Kalnos

Banned
That... will kind of suck if you legitimately get disconnected.

Indeed. It's pretty lame when people use programs that auto-disconnect them when they're below 10% HP though so I see it as a necessary evil unless another solution is proposed.

LordCanti

Yes, I think that's the other one. 10 second disconnect timer.

Although you can pause in single-player games.

I wonder what happens if you pause and then pull the ethernet cable out of your computer (or else alt-tab and disable your connection). Or does pausing not work when you're actively engaged with enemies, so it wouldn't matter?

valeo

All characters will be able to solo Inferno (with the right gear, skill setup etc) If one can't, I guarantee they will be buffed until they can by the time you get there.

Unlike D2, every character seems to have a variety of skills (summons, defensive abilities etc)

Kalnos

Banned
I wonder what happens if you pause and then pull the ethernet cable out of your computer (or else alt-tab and disable your connection). Or does pausing not work when you're actively engaged with enemies, so it wouldn't matter?

I'm guessing it will work like WoW in that your character will remain on the server even after you disconnect for a short time (i.e. enough time to let the enemies kill you). Particularly because all logic seems to be server-side anyway.

maharg

idspispopd
Another weird choice. I mean, I kind of get why it just seems so arbitrary. It kind of rolls back the clock a bit on mercs, not quite as bad as D2 vanilla but still makes it so that you may as well not invest much time, effort, or items into them because you can't rely on them.

Will there be any of yall who'd like to team up and just go through all the quests and stuff? I'd like to party with a few and run through the game, but not skip the story and crap.

red731

Will there be any of yall who'd like to team up and just go through all the quests and stuff? I'd like to party with a few and run through the game, but not skip the story and crap.

I will be checking everything, going everywhere and not skipping anything.
But I guess you are from the States right?

If anyone from Europe would like to play without skipping anything, let me know.

Im a couple hours into Walking Dead episode 1, but I think I need another new game to tide me over (and finish) in the 11 days before D3 comes out. Any Suggestions?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
From a Jay wilsom Interview.
End Game
Monsters in Act 1 are level 61, in Act 2 - 62 and in Acts 3 and 4 - 63. And each of those have Tier items that ONLY they drop - so a total of 3 Tiers in Inferno.
Always online
Diablo 2 is a natively cooperative game but players didn't even realize there was an online component in it. There were also a lot of security problems - it was very easy to hack the servers.
Secret Cow Level and Easter Eggs
Actually, there is a REALLY big easter egg in the game, but I'm not going to tell you what it is...
Skill Interface
Players sometimes didn't know how to interact with all the systems. It's almost like they're saying 'If I could put the skills in categories I'd be able to understand them.'
The fun is in playing the game, not working out how to play it.
We make games that are very hardcore, but we still want them to be approachable, and it's one of those situations where you're never going to make both camps completely happy.
RMAH and the Item Economy
It's mathematical - you WILL find good items. It may not be the items you want, but you will find them. Then you can put them on the Auction House.
Originally there was a listing fee, and we struggled to find ways to remove it, and finally did - so that players don't have to invest money into the Auction House if they don't want to.
WASD and Mouse Controls
Characters only moving on eight axes - it works, but it doesn't feel awesome. Feels clumsy, not the Blizzard-quality.
The worst mistake you could ever make is to have two control schemes: you're basically taking the hardest thing in your game, and doubling it.
Hardcore
We have a prime directive of 'do no harm to the co-op game'.
We didn't want people to find ways to exploit, or to steal items from other people.
Having player corpses NOT be lootable makes it MORE hardcore, because what would happen in D2, is that you could play with your friends, and if you died you wouldn't lose your items, because they'd loot them for you and give them back.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Will it be a cow level, or a rainbow/pony level? That's the only question left.

Cows - where are they?

There's cows in there I think... somewhere...

Actually, there is a REALLY big easter egg in the game, but I'm not going to tell you what it is...

Source

Kalnos

Banned

Cows - where are they?

There's cows in there I think... somewhere...

Yeah, I was referring to that. I'm guessing it will be one or the other. A homage to their older games or a reference to the "this game isn't dark enough for my liking" crowd.

EDIT: erk, stealth edit. I see.

My launch day group consists of a guy who is playing monk. I need to convince him that Barbarian in better, so I can play monk. The main 2 reasons he is going Monk over Barb is 1) Monk is kickin rad and 2) he used to always play Barb in D2.

I must have my Monk day one, and I don't really want double up classes in the group....

Dresden

I don't see how having two of the same class will be an issue at launch, unless you're one of those people trying to run optimal parties for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom