• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Impressions [Online Open To All]

The Secret Character speaks and he's from Jamaica!

Do not click unless you want to be spoiled on who the secret squadmate is.

And no, the character isn't literally from Jamaica.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SlickVic

Probably already mentioned, but it seems like there's proper mouse scroll wheel support this time? Just opened up the Key Bindings menu in Options and it worked. Here's hoping it also works in the various in-game menus. ME2 gave me a new found appreciation for the importance of scroll wheels.

There's a guy who played the game, here's the proof (buggy pic):
http://i.imgur.com/k45DJ.jpg

Without spoilers, some opinions:
Nah, I actually really like the game. It's got some pitfalls, sure, but I'm still dying to play it again. The gameplay's the best it's ever been and the story is as good as the previous two games.

There'll be some bitching about
the story, the romances and the endings (especially the endings)
of course, but I genuinely think most people will be satisfied with this game for what it is.

Yay I guess.

And:
I'll say this: the child has a role beyond what you see in the demo. He wasn't there for nothing.

Q: I'm still curious how Vega is supposed to be better than Jacob/Kaidan. You said he's supposed to be better than them. Does he actually have a sense of humor? Without going too into the game, obviously. Why should anyone like Vega?

A: He does have a sense of humor and is a genuinely good character in both story and as a gameplay companion.

Mass Effect and District 9 exist in the same universe confirmed

Seriously, this isn't half as bad as what they did to the race in general. Race spoiler maybe:
Dear god, let some modders change the bottom half of the face back into something vaguely insectoid.

Tess3ract

Banned
Both are on different dev cycles. I doubt there is much cross over.
I don't have a link but google something about the DA2 team going downstairs and asking the ME2 team how they did certain things.

I'm sure there's a lot of crossover discussion.

Here is the sound of me metaphorically killing myself.

Dany

Banned
I don't have a link but google something about the DA2 team going downstairs and asking the ME2 team how they did certain things.

I'm sure there's a lot of crossover discussion.

You are insinuating that Bioware hasn't learned anything from the reactions of DA2.

Enzon

Played the demo in my PS3, i had fun with multiplayer and the second part of the single player portion, but DAT FRAMERATE was distracting, it made me cringe a couple of times.

Tess3ract

Banned
You are insinuating that Bioware hasn't learned anything from the reactions of DA2.
Well they sure are pushing hard for making the opening of their games rather unrepresentative of the rest of the game.

also ME3 has a turret on rails driving sequence. Just thought I'd remind you all.

I like the multiplayer part alot. Sentinel is such a god damn tank. Adept feels a bit weak.

Contemplating doing another run through of 2 as a sentinel on one of the harder difficulties.

The opening act of the game is fantastic, even better than one. Was confused as what happened between 2 and 3. Didn't play the second part of the singleplayer demo because I didn't want spoilers.

Samara

Just replayed the story part of the demo on the PS3: Other than some dude in some window, there has been no glitches or whatever. Yeah the framerate is not smooth as butter, but it is not a slideshow. ME2 was a slideshow

Eek. Looks like I'm sticking to the MP and ME2 thread. There is way too much spoilers here. fuck.

Tess3ract

Banned
To be completely fair to Dragon Age 2, Shit Mountain was entirely representative of the rest of the game.
I mean in the sense of OH HEY ACTION PACKED AND FAST FAST TITTIES....oh...

Just replayed the story part of the demo on the PS3: Other than some dude in some window, there has been no glitches or whatever. Yeah the framerate is not smooth as butter, but it is not a slideshow. ME2 was a slideshow

Eek. Looks like I'm sticking to the MP and ME2 thread. There is way too much spoilers here. fuck.

There's one spoiler, and frankly it only makes me think of the game negatively rather than give a crap about whos in it.

NG28

I love how the run animations in these games get worse with each sequel. I got a good laugh out of watching Keith David's? character run like he took a crap in his pants.

FLEABttn

Banned
Yeah the framerate is not smooth as butter, but it is not a slideshow. ME2 was a slideshow

Wat? I just beat the PS3 version of ME2 a month and a half ago and the frame rate there was way better. I'm hoping to chalk the shitty frame rate up to it simply being the demo, but it's going to be very disappointing if the retail code is a 20fps mess.

JJD

I played the demo for the first time, and consider me impressed! I actually enjoyed the multiplayer!!! :)

Take note Visceral, if you absolutely gotta do a multi player component to your basically awesome single player game, that's how you do it! I would much rather play a somewhat clunky but enjoyable co op game with friends, than a competitive one with randoms.

I had fun, I can see me gladly playing this at least until I unlock all the stuff it opens on the single player game.

I'm really speechless, when I heard that Bioware was doing MP for ME3, I thought they had not learned Bethesda's lesson (meaning you don't need MP if your SP game is great, and you will still sell well). I've hated Assassins Creed, Dead Space and Bioshock MP. All fine single player games that didn't need a MP component.

I thought ME3 was one of then, but I'm glad I'm wrong on this one! ME MP is OK!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nothing wrong with the accent, though very weird there doesn't appear to be any filters on the samples. Wrex, Garrus and Tali all have something to make them sound like they're not just run-of-the-mill humanoids.

Oh BioWare.

Tess3ract

Banned
Apparently the accent is enough to soudn weird without having to add it. Sounds jamacian to me but I'm just an american.

I'm more offended they changed the face.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Nothing wrong with the accent, though very weird there doesn't appear to be any filters on the samples. Wrex, Garrus and Tali all have something to make them sound like they're not just run-of-the-mill humanoids.

Oh BioWare.

What? I clearly hear some kind of filter in that "video".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What? I clearly hear some kind of filter in that "video".

Oh yeah! That was weird. My speakers seemed to dampen the filter, but not my headphones.

Apparently the accent is enough to soudn weird without having to add it. Sounds jamacian to me but I'm just an american.

I'm more offended they changed the face.
They didn't change the face,
the Reapers changed the Protheans face/ it changed over time. This is probably a "pure" face

Man, so much negativity in here. I'm going to play this one just because I need to finish the series, but I'm afraid it will be shit mountain in space.

Beth Cyra

There's a guy who played the game, here's the proof (buggy pic):
http://i.imgur.com/k45DJ.jpg

Without spoilers, some opinions:

Yay I guess.

And:

Really wanting to know what the romance options are and just who will be disappointed.

Not afraid to admit that I enjoy the character stuff in Bioware games and it's one of the big things I'm interested in. Just hopefully no more really terrible touching scenes. Just fade to black would be better then ME1/2.

GSR

Re: the guy who got it early: lucky so-and-so, he is. Though I do wonder how long it'll be before the game leaks.

Re: the DLC character's voice: eearrrrerrrrrmmmmmhuh. It's not awful, it's just... so very far from what I expected.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What about the statues of Protheans were they had cthulhu head tentacles?

Was it ever mentioned that those statues were representing protheans? It's not like Ilos was their homeland. Even if they did hide underground.

EatChildren

I thought the DLC character in question was reworked into the main quest, and the DLC character was now something new.

GSR

I thought the DLC character in question was reworked into the main quest, and the DLC character was now something new.

No, if anything it looks like it was the other way around; if I'm not mistaken the "plot outline" files in the script leaks had him/her as part of the main story, while the final script has him/her in an optional role. This is backed up by the fact s/he was announced all the way back in June at a few EA marketing meetings for the ME3 CE and by the fact s/he is missing files in the demo that the other full squadmates have.

exYle

I have a theory regarding the secret character's accent. I specifically mention strong details about the character, so BIG SPOILER ALERT.
The Protheans guided humanity through its evolution, correct? Given that human origin is tied to Africa, I would go so far as to say that African or Jamaican people are speaking with a Prothean accent rather than the other way around.

Top Bottom