• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 selling out.....

If memory serves most Ps2s were sold once they hit $199 or less. The PS4 is built to drop price quicker than the Ps3, so these things will be flying off the shelves( more than they already are) when that becomes the MSRP.

Ubername

Banned
Shit man, I really want one of these things but don't want to cuz I know I'm gonna be fiending on that sweet 60 hz boost mode for the pro.

Shin

Banned
except its not selling out anywhere where i am....San Antonio TX... which is a big city, but you should take headlines from a site which favors a certain console with a grain of salt.

The same can be said about your post when in fact it is sold out on various large online stores.
While it's a PlayStation fansite what they are claiming isn't any less true, using your hometown as is a rather bad example as it's not the whole of the US.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Must of sold a lot to sellout of their inventory after 4 years.
I mean this isn't the Switch, that number must be in the millions easy between all retailers.

Alebrije

except its not selling out anywhere where i am....San Antonio TX... which is a big city, but you should take headlines from a site which favors a certain console with a grain of salt.
W6PCD--leM8OPrsy9PdI7l6BpFoVtexxbeTgFgc0iqiJFa2XhC6tQ-2xFnrX-RRh_XNEE8Ts8Vqrla6kbxn2oaPT6NFh0-dBRdW2xo6U_1OfT4b5mSXvWj7NMlzqWWdExSXfdWqTOHCs_Equvo8yUOv1ZJfgKw=w300-h227-nc

WaterAstro

Yes.
However despite what Sony and MS have said I think the pro and X will be supported for 6-8yrs.

The pro will be $199 in 2020 and the X will be in $250-300 range. I just dont think sony and MS will throw away the chance of having a console at mass market prices.

If you wait til 2120, they will be a few cents! lol

Toni

I always said this was the year the PS4 peaks. But did not expect it to sell out. That shit is pretty telling.

$199 and below, you officially enter mass market consumption. PS4's were always gona skyrocket off the shelves once it hit that price point.

PS4 pretty much has November on lock, it seems to me. However, If they manage to sell more than the month they sold the most PS4's (November 2015 was 1.5 million sold, I think), then Jesus Christ will have to take the wheel. Because it will make it extremely easy for Sony to take December comfortably too at 199 with whatever they decide to bundle that beast with.

They will barracade through the projected 19 million consoles sold for the year with ease at $199.

Breakage

so even though the Xbox X is much more powerful people are still flocking to the PS4/Pro...what does that say about the console market?
Average Joe and Jane don't give a monkey's about Digital Foundry comparisons.

OG Xbox was the world's most powerful home console during the sixth generation and look what happened there.

Lmao at the idiots who are complaining that the xbox isn't doing well compared to the ps4.

The xbox one x is not what the 360 was. It is a very boring system with pretty much nothing but multiplats.

There's just no two ways around it but MS has been losing the console wars since "deal with it" days.

Maybe in the US since you got a good price on it. Not even close to selling out in my country.

500 GB model is about $320. PS4 Pro $440.

Why would you live there?

Sometimes i ask myself the same thing, consoles in general got a $40+ price hike recently because of a tax on chemicals used in electronics, to boot.

That tax is just fucking retarded since it has just driven people to import from Germany, UK and France on Amazon etc. So if it does anything it makes retailers lose business.

Those prices are now under "black friday" btw. Black Friday is just a hoax sale here that is hyped up. It's just your standard 15-20% sale except for some items that is old and they want out of inventory.

Meh3D

I’m in San Jose, CA. Plenty PS4s here. Best Buy had them all over. So did Target. Just Kohl’s because of the sweet deal. Plenty to to buy.

The Microsoft Store at Valley Fair had a huge line. People binging on games. They had Andromeda for 12 bucks. :)

Gamestop, my stire sold out but they've (Core 1TB) have been $200 since Sunday. And with the $50 giftcard they were basically $150 since Thanksgiving. Plus only bundles were better deals/variety. No one is buying the units bundled with software, same with XB1.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
It’s crazy to think you can get a pro & 2 games for £299.

Or a PS4 slim with 4 games and vr starter pack for £450

I think it is great for people that have been waiting to jump in and some folks that have to save every penny. It’s good for gaming.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Absolutely

A complete console VR setup for £450 with games is amazing, as is price of normal entry.

Yeah my wife and kids have enjoyed our PSVR, just as much as our Oculus Rift. My office is set up with my gaming PC and all our systems, now that I have a 3 screen setup, so my kids usually have their friends in there with the PSVR.

They prefer it to the rift, but I think it is just more kid friendly. The more people that get on board the better!

It's great to see my fave console from this gen maintaining its staying power in retail. Hopefully this gen hangs around for atleast another three years. The PS4 is the PS2 successor that we all wanted the PS3 to be. If next gen goes fully digital, I couldn't care less as I'll have a physical game library that'll last me until I'm done and dusted.

Caio

PS4 is a Beast !!!

Did I do it right ??

PS4 has won this generation, total domination in selling figures, since the Launch.
Let's see what will happen when PS5, next Nintendo Console and Next XBox will come out.

PS4 has won this generation, total domination in selling figures, since the Launch.
Let's see what will happen when PS5, next Nintendo Console and Next XBox will come out.

Wait with all those sales why does Microsoft make more money than Sony year tp year income? Confused .

Funny, because me and my wife were at WalMart and Best Buy for the past 2 nights, and there were more PS4's then Xbox One S's staying on the shelves, and that is a 100% fact from what our eye's seen.

At WalMart on Thursday at around 7:30pm there were around 9-10 PS4's clearly visible through the glass, while there were only 2 Xbox One S's, one of the Xbox's i purchased for my son, which was the very last Halo Edition including all 5 Halo's for $199.

At Best Buy tonight (had to go pick up GTA5 which i got for only $24) they like to put the systems on these tables, and there were more PS4's both days on these tables then Xbox's, yesterday and today!

I believe my eye's more then the bullshit hype these journalist are feeding.

DjRalford

Funny, because me and my wife were at WalMart and Best Buy for the past 2 nights, and there were more PS4's then Xbox One S's staying on the shelves, and that is a 100% fact from what our eye's seen.

At WalMart on Thursday at around 7:30pm there were around 9-10 PS4's clearly visible through the glass, while there were only 2 Xbox One S's, one of the Xbox's i purchased for my son, which was the very last Halo Edition including all 5 Halo's for $199.

At Best Buy tonight (had to go pick up GTA5 which i got for only $24) they like to put the systems on these tables, and there were more PS4's both days on these tables then Xbox's, yesterday and today!

If you actually read the link, which you clearly didn’t bother to do, it says they’re available in stores but sold out online.

DjRalford

That in the end console is worthless without games.

Yup

Not only that but value proposition, parents won’t be flocking to buy kids a X, and if they can’t have an X they won’t want an inferior S, so they’ll plump for the base PS4.

Others will also look and see they can get a PS4 and complete VR setup with 4 games for the Price of an X with no VR and one game.

X is most powerful without doubt, but that doesn’t mean mass market domination.

gimmmick

Me and the wife went to target at 6pm on thanksgiving and there had to be at least 15 carts with the 199.99 PS4 slim. It's the perfect time to buy the console. A lot of titles under its belt, the under 200 price point is the sweet spot for consumers in the fence to getting a new console. It's a great overall buy.

JP

I think $199.99 is the magic price for many people out there and I don't think they're far away from being able to have that as the standard price but I'd imagine that they think they probably don't need a permanent price drop at the moment due to how many they're selling.

Maybe we'll see it change next Christmas or the Christmas after but before they do that we'll more than likely see them going the "value add" route with bundles happening and the price remaining the same.

They have a really good games catalogue available at the moment but by the time a permanent price drop happens it'll be ridiculously good with many of Sony's first party titles available and many of the older titles available at discounted prices. I think that's when the real mass market effect will kick in.

quickwhips

you can still walk in the store and buy one...that isn't selling out. That means the online companies didn't have alot of stock.

Come on now... when they say sold out they don't mean every single store in every location, they mean generally there are areas where there isn't any stock and its a common occurrence. We already know from a number of sources that stock has been flying off the shovels in many locations (but obviously not all).

Also more stock was kept back for particular days and then moved out to the front so that they had stock to sell on Black Friday.

Basically its selling extremely well.

I think $199.99 is the magic price for many people out there and I don't think they're far away from being able to have that as the standard price but I'd imagine that they think they probably don't need a permanent price drop at the moment due to how many they're selling.

Maybe we'll see it change next Christmas or the Christmas after but before they do that we'll more than likely see them going the "value add" route with bundles happening and the price remaining the same.

They have a really good games catalogue available at the moment but by the time a permanent price drop happens it'll be ridiculously good with many of Sony's first party titles available and many of the older titles available at discounted prices. I think that's when the real mass market effect will kick in.

The Ps4 slim has been easily available for $250 at several points this year. I fully expect it to drop to $199 MSRP next fall.

Top Bottom