• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

You're welcome. If the family starts to complain about constant Classic Loveline* during car trips please keep my hacker alias out of it, 'kay?

*it gets updated relentlessly. About 1 every two days.

Regarding Nier Automata, it's totally valid to stop playing and think you finished the game when you reach ending A, or any of the joke endings for that matter. That said, the reason the game gets heaps of praise is that playing the game through to its accepted competition, endings A through E, is what is considered to be the base experience. Some fans think of the endings as chapters, like Ending A is chapter 1 and so on, with the book concluding at Ending E. So, if one wants to judge a narrative getting only an incomplete idea, then that's fine. It is just as valid to judge a game by staring on Episode 4 of a five episode series since they are sold individually.

Now, I'm sure some might be asking, why do I have to play through the game multiple times to get all these endings? Surely since I got something that said "Ending A" and saw credits, I must be done with the game and my play-through? If this game was meant to be played multiple times, they should call them chapters and not endings!

And that would be true if this game didn't purposefully toy with the idea of endings, video games, and the whole concept of authorial intent and the death of the author.

Episode 566: Burning Down the House

This week! We talk more about repro carts, gamer skill, LA Noire, a little Destiny 2 (not much, don’t worry), Knack II, Everybody’s Golf, Night Trap, Mario + Rabbids, Dreamcast memories and much more. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/09_12_17-Episode566.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/566
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/zBTE-V6DmgM
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast

Quonny

Man, everyone saying LA Noire is bad hurts.

I thought the game was fantastic up until the arson section. Then it fell off a cliff.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hated LA Noire because its systems didn't make a hell of a lot of sense, and if you didn't own all the DLC from the get-go, you'd have pretty significant gaps in the story that don't address certain character behavior changes.

Cathcart

I think a lot of fans do Nier Automata a disservice by insisting that players get all five important endings without very clearly pointing out that you do not have to play the game five times to see all of the endings. It just sounds like a lot of work.

Essentially you play it twice, where the second run has a few different story paths and recontextualizes a lot of what you saw in path A in a very cool way. The third "playthrough" is actually a continuation of the main story, it's all new stuff with some new areas. It's also quite a bit shorter than the first two runs. The fourth and fifth endings happen about 10 minutes after you finish the third run.

So it's two runs through the game plus bonus content. And absolutely worth it because all of that extra content and the final ending are incredible and the reason people talk about it as a GotY contender. It also would have changed your answer to at least one of this week's tweets :)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I think a lot of fans do Nier Automata a disservice by insisting that players get all five important endings without very clearly pointing out that you do not have to play the game five times to see all of the endings. It just sounds like a lot of work.

Essentially you play it twice, where the second run has a few different story paths and recontextualizes a lot of what you saw in path A in a very cool way. The third "playthrough" is actually a continuation of the main story, it's all new stuff with some new areas. It's also quite a bit shorter than the first two runs. The fourth and fifth endings happen about 10 minutes after you finish the third run.

So it's two runs through the game plus bonus content. And absolutely worth it because all of that extra content and the final ending are incredible and the reason people talk about it as a GotY contender. It also would have changed your answer to at least one of this week's tweets :)

This, plus the second run through is a [heavily] abridged take which inserts either entirely new sequences or skips major swaths of content from the first play to make the proceeding 'replay' far less of a campaign retread. As you say, the third play is pretty much a massive epilogue story continuation that would have been a fun and clever surprise if the Internet didn't kill enthusiasm by falsely proclaiming the false rhetoric of multiple repeat plays.

Also it may have been a total mistake for Yoko Taro to log the game-over fail states as endings. All it served was to enforce the narrative that there is far too much chaff(26 endings???!!!) to pursue when this is not the case. (No one would consider failing a QTE to see a death animation in Shenmue or Uncharted an 'ending', yet that is what we got here and the Internet is rife with misinformation due to it).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
All the pressure about Nier Automata and how to play feels reminiscent of how people were about Undertale. It isn't anywhere near the same "you're playing it wrong!" but I still get the same vibe. Undertale wasn't any good. I'm sure Nier is fine but...it's just too much pushback.

Swordian

Isn't it more like 999 where it's more to clear up the misconception of "multiple endings" as compared to what that typically means for most games?

Brandon F

All the pressure about Nier Automata and how to play feels reminiscent of how people were about Undertale. It isn't anywhere near the same "you're playing it wrong!" but I still get the same vibe. Undertale wasn't any good. I'm sure Nier is fine but...it's just too much pushback.

Its different. In Nier, fans are asking players to not quit the game after Act 1 completes(ending A), not how to actually approach the design as in Undertale(do pacificism only or whatnot!)

The pressure in Nier is due to misinformation being spread surrounding its progression that has cast a long shadow over its commitment ask(which granted is a good 30+ hours to see it through, but only a small cross-segment is actual repeat content). Too many presume otherwise, but nobody is arguing others to forcibly approach gameplay in a strict manner like in Undertale.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Its different. In Nier, fans are asking players to not quit the game after Act 1 completes(ending A), not how to actually approach the design as in Undertale(do pacificism only or whatnot!)

The pressure in Nier is due to misinformation being spread surrounding its progression that has cast a long shadow over its commitment ask(which granted is a good 30+ hours to see it through, but only a small cross-segment is actual repeat content). Too many presume otherwise, but nobody is arguing others to forcibly approach gameplay in a strict manner like in Undertale.

That's what I meant by saying it isn't the same.

Brandon F

That's what I meant by saying it isn't the same.

Sure, I think I get you. Newcomers may feel overwhelmed at the thought of being shackled to a game for 30 hours regardless. Fans won't shut up about the payoff being worthwhile, but that means you aren't seeing this thing through in a quick weekend or possibly a month. It's still a commit, one that may push some away, especially after the first 8-10 hours when Ending A doesn't really offer much(I almost gave up then myself, but glad I stuck it through, but I get it).

Bottom-line, we should all probably just shut up about Nier already or risk burning motivation and inflating expectations for some like Undertale.

FN-2187

Fans of Phil and his voices should not miss this week's episode.

I also hope this won't be the only appearance of angry Angry Birds guy.

SickBoy

Man, everyone saying LA Noire is bad hurts.

I thought the game was fantastic up until the arson section. Then it fell off a cliff.

As I recall, the open world stuff was competent, at the very least. But while I loved the concept of the interrogations, I was put off by the execution. I know what I know and have a good idea of what the suspect/witness might know or think, but I have no idea what the hell my character is going to do based on my selected approach.

I would be interested to see them take another crack at this kind of game sometime with a much deeper focus on those interviews.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I know what I know and have a good idea of what the suspect/witness might know or think, but I have no idea what the hell my character is going to do based on my selected approach.

100% this. Some of the shit that came out of your dude's mouth was just...what?

Nier Automata is a weird game directed by a weird (or brilliant, depending on who you ask) guy. I don't expect everyone to like it, but it was kinda funny how Ethan seemed miffed about how good the reviews were. It is like only going in one part of Disneyland, and then leaving, wondering what the big deal is.

That being said, I appreciate the effort and him being candid more than I appreciate people with the same tastes as me, so good on Ethan for at least trying it out.

SuperPac

Nier Automata is a weird game directed by a weird (or brilliant, depending on who you ask) guy. I don't expect everyone to like it, but it was kinda funny how Ethan seemed miffed about how good the reviews were. It is like only going in one part of Disneyland, and then leaving, wondering what the big deal is.

That being said, I appreciate the effort and him being candid more than I appreciate people with the same tastes as me, so good on Ethan for at least trying it out.

What I think it reveals is that in video games (and a lot of other media too), a game can get great review scores and near-universal praise...and still not be everyone's cup of tea. By that same token, a game with horrible scores and widespread disdain can sometimes totally be your thing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What I think it reveals is that in video games (and a lot of other media too), a game can get great review scores and near-universal praise...and still not be everyone's cup of tea. By that same token, a game with horrible scores and widespread disdain can sometimes totally be your thing.

Let's roll
XelX7mp.png

Episode 567: Reggie Says Relax

This week! New Apple stuff, a Nintendo Direct, SNES Classics will be easier to find, plus we talk about the Octopath Traveler demo, Metroid Samus Returns, Knack 2, Rayman Legends and a whole bunch more. If you’re able to get out to Las Vegas, NV next weekend (that’s 9/23-24) you can see us record the very special next episode live live live at Scoopfest 17 and witness a lot of other great comedy podcasts do their thing too. (Promo code baldness at checkout gets you 10% off.) Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/09_19_17-Episode567.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/567
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/UinyMhbT6xY

Episode 568: Scooper Nintendo

This week! A special episode recorded live in Las Vegas, NV at Scoopfest '17! With the impending release of the Super NES Classic Mini it seemed only right that we talk a little bit about the original days of the Super NES back in the '90s. Plus, a mystery fifth chair appears in this episode. Special thanks to Paul Mattingly, Matt Donnelly, Jacob the Audio Guy, and all the Scoops at Scoopfest for making this special live episode possible. Join us, won't you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/09_23_17-Episode568.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/568
Youtube: https://youtu.be/MaoiWWmKSzs

SuperPac

Curious to hear what people think of the scoopfest episode. In addition we recorded another thing with Mike at lunch afterward - so look forward to that too.

Neifirst

Curious to hear what people think of the scoopfest episode. In addition we recorded another thing with Mike at lunch afterward - so look forward to that too.

I really enjoyed this episode, CJ. Everybody brought their 'A' game with numerous personal anecdotes and fun, good-natured ribbing throughout.

One question though: was most of the live audience unfamiliar with your show or videogames in general? "Footnote" Phil seemed compelled to go into great detail on any reference made throughout the episode, no matter how common. For instance, he reminded us that Konami was the company responsible for such series as Contra and Castlevania. (Umm.yeah, I knew that...:)

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I really enjoyed this episode, CJ. Everybody brought their 'A' game with numerous personal anecdotes and fun, good-natured ribbing throughout.

One question though: was most of the live audience unfamiliar with your show or videogames in general? "Footnote" Phil seemed compelled to go into great detail on any reference made throughout the episode, no matter how common. For instance, he reminded us that Konami was the company responsible for such series as Contra and Castlevania. (Umm.yeah, I knew that...:)

Thanks for the good words.

And yes, the VAST majority of the crowd never listened to our show before, and it wasn't really a hardcore gamer crowd, so I did lean into the explanations a bit so as not to alienate the crowd. Hopefully it wasn't TOO distracting.

But as an example, at one point I mention that I have Shigeru Miyamoto's signature to little response. After I explain that he created Mario and Donkey Kong, though, a couple "wow"s went up through the crowd.

I really enjoyed the episode guys and, I think the best thing that I can say is that it seemed like a normal episode. No, no, no, that wasn't meant as a backhanded compliment (although the argument of "damning with faint praise" could be made, I guess) but I meant it more that you seemed to be comfortable and not taken out of your normal selves by the enormity of performing in front of a live audience.

I enjoyed it and would have happily listened to another hour. Except for that new guy on the podcast. Thankfully this podcast will be his first and last appearance on this show... and not even knowing your own Twitter handle? It's called professionalism, buddy. Amateur hour. I hope you spent the 6 hour drive home taking a long hard look at yourself in your rear-view mirror.

Whimsical Phil

Just because, here's a shot of all of us doing the show before the live crowd at ScoopFest 2017. There were about 75 people or so people in the crowd, which was pretty cool. Not a bad turn out for the opening act of the festival.

anQfdKi.jpg

It was a real great episode and it was nice to hear Mike again. It's also strange that after a decade this was the first one in front of an audience. Good energy and vibes from everyone involved.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Hehe. When, immediately after the episode, Greg said, "Phil didn't do a single voice!" I had to point out, "actually, he was doing a voice the entire time."

wondermega

Lots of fun to listen to, and genuinely surprised to hear Mike again. Hope he can come back on the show again from time to time! Also here's hoping you guys do another live one in the not too distant future.

I'll echo all the complements by saying it was a great episode this week. Great to have Mike stop by!

What is Scoopfest? The website makes it look like a Las Vegas podcast that opened its own mini-event / festival. How did the P1P get involved and is Scoopfest worth listening to?

Whimsical Phil

What is Scoopfest? The website makes it look like a Las Vegas podcast that opened its own mini-event / festival. How did the P1P get involved and is Scoopfest worth listening to?

That's pretty much what it is. A three day festival with a full lineup of podcasts and comedy performances.

It was started by the guys at Matt and Mattingly's Ice Cream Social podcast, which is actually a spin-off of Penn Jillette's podcast. As it turns out, (Paul) Mattingly has been listening to P1P for years, and he actually credits us for getting him into podcasting. So when they were putting together the lineup for this year's ScoopFest, Paul reached out to us.

And yes, Ice Cream Social is really damn funny.

FN-2187

Hehe. When, immediately after the episode, Greg said, "Phil didn't do a single voice!" I had to point out, "actually, he was doing a voice the entire time."

Thank you for confirming. The whole time I was listening I was thinking "Am I imagining things or is Phil doing a very slight Adam Sandler impression?" I guess he was just nervous and didn't even realize he was talking different.

Jmille99

Echoing the love for Mike. Miss him on the podcast, so its always nice to hear him on the rare occasions he shows up.

Nice show though overall. Funny, nice on point discussions with funny off topic talk (dark restaurant and scams for instance) and just a good vibe all around. Hope you all choose to do more live shows like this.

Jyester

Great job at Scoopfest guys! Everyone was on top of their game. Props for making it work in front of a non-gaming audience; that's no small feat.

Glassboy

Really enjoyed the live episode. Cool of them to invite you guys, but slightly strange that it was mostly people unfamiliar with you guys. But hey, you gotta start somewhere, right? Mik, does your reappearance mean you are gonna start showing up more on the show? Really miss ya buddy

Ethan: The very reason our show exists is to talk about new releases, we don't talk about destiny week after week after week.

Pretty sure the show exists to talk about games-as-a-service week after week after week...

Top Bottom