• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
DigitalFoundry supposedly has access to the actual SDK which is going to have completely factual information for developers, and then we have "insiders" who give us hints, but don't outright confirm it or provide any actual proof. But they're "trustworthy" so people just blindly trust them. Yes, they may have been right in the past, but we all know that nobody is 100%, even insiders like CBOAT.

Honestly, as much as I like the insiders here, I'm going to trust the guys who are posting with their real names, on record, on their websites which they do for a living posting information that they got from the SDK documentation created by Sony.

nothing wrong with that, as long as you keep this outlook with every rumor. i don't blame you

DigitalFoundry supposedly has access to the actual SDK which is going to have completely factual information for developers, and then we have "insiders" who give us hints, but don't outright confirm it or provide any actual proof. But they're "trustworthy" so people just blindly trust them.

Honestly, as much as I like the insiders here, I'm going to trust the guys who are posting with their real names, on record, on their websites which they do for a living posting information that they got from the SDK documentation created by Sony.

How is it a blind trust exactly?

So is it 4.5, 5, 5.5, or 6 GB for games?

Been away from the thread for awhile and can't bring myself to browse through the idiocy.

Dude, none of these people really knows.

The situation likely changes as time goes by, as new updates are introduced.

My guess is it is probably approaching 6 or more as Sony approaches launch and makes the OS more efficient.

Not a big deal though. I can't believe how long this thread has gotten.

jaosobno

DigitalFoundry supposedly has access to the actual SDK which is going to have completely factual information for developers, and then we have "insiders" who give us hints, but don't outright confirm it or provide any actual proof. But they're "trustworthy" so people just blindly trust them.

Thuway is the same guy that gave us PS4 specs. He even hinted that there might be RAM upgrade before anyone knew anything (even 3rd party devs) about 8 GB GDDR5.

Thuway and Bruce are both trustworthy. And I don't see Bruce complaining about 6 GB claim.

Finalizer

I think Bruce just corroborated the number.

Just curious, how is Bruce a credible source? Genuine question here from a new guy.

It was my understanding that Thuway was dead-set on the PS4 having 4GB memory back in Feb, so I'm not exactly putting stock into his number here. Then again, the whole debate in general is just over number dick-waving in the first place, so eh.

BigDug13

I guess people really have a problem with the type of RAM allocated? In other words, the type of RAM in the XBO says the system should cost $299 and they allocate 3GB of RAM from a $299 system for OS. They then add a $250 Kinect system and call it $499 total.

Sony's RAM solution ends up with a system that costs $399, and they allocate the same amount of RAM as the $299 system, but with the only difference in price being RAM, therefore Sony is allocating more of your dollars away from games into multimedia functions compared to Microsoff's supposed "gamers second" design.

Do I have it right?

Draft

DigitalFoundry supposedly has access to the actual SDK which is going to have completely factual information for developers, and then we have "insiders" who give us hints, but don't outright confirm it or provide any actual proof. But they're "trustworthy" so people just blindly trust them. Yes, they may have been right in the past, but we all know that nobody is 100%, even insiders like CBOAT.

I trust the GAF insiders. Remember when they predicted that online would remain free for PS4? They were right, PS4 can still stream Netflix with no monthly fee.

Thuway is the same guy that gave us PS4 specs. He even hinted that there might be RAM upgrade before anyone knew anything (even 3rd party devs) about 8 GB GDDR5.

Thuway and Bruce are both trustworthy. And I don't see Bruce complaining about 6 GB claim.

that's not true... i remember him being adamantly against such a thing happening when i was lurking. but things change with development hard to get anything right. 6 might be 5.5 tomorrow.
I trust the GAF insiders. Remember when they predicted that online would remain free for PS4? They were right, PS4 can still stream Netflix with no monthly fee.

:( you can use apps(you own) for free i think right tho?

Kaako

Felium Defensor

The 8GB GDDR5 was GopherD, who is definitely more trustworthy in my eyes. Where you at Gopher, show the carnival some love bro. lol

I guess I do. Vita? Seriously?

Yeah. It's way better than the PS3 or 360 OS. Everything except a few apps like Netflix, videos and content management is always accessible even in the middle of the game. It's not really surprising though. You'd expect a 2012 device to have a better OS design over a 2005 device.

It it turns out to be 6, it would be like Sony announcing the 8GB all over again. At this point everyone is thinking 4.5 and the new headline will be "Sony stuns Microsoft with ram upgrade to massive 6GB"

bronzeP

Banned
It it turns out to be 6, it would be like Sony announcing the 8GB all over again. At this point everyone is thinking 4.5 and the new headline will be "Sony stuns Microsoft with ram upgrade to massive 6GB"

Actually people thought it was 7Gb in the past and not 4.5 so it won't be the same all over again.

still 6GB is pretty nice

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So there's that. I hope that there are some people at B3D pissed over this, and that some people realize how stupid it is to cancel over something like this.

Anyway, thanks Bruce and Thuway. Time for a title change?

How is it a blind trust exactly?

DF comes out with an article explicitly stating they got the 4.5GB + 512MB numbers from a PS4 SDK. Thuway then posts that he's got a "feeling in his feathers that it's 6GB" (paraphrasing). Everyone then is like "Oh, so it must be 6GB! The bird has spoken!".

It just seems ridiculous to me.

The guys at DF are journalists, or at least they try to be so I'm hoping they got at least two sources before posting the article. After all, it's their day job and I'd hope they're pretty damn good at it. They of course get things wrong, just as insiders get things wrong. But when DF says they got the information from an actual PS4 SDK, I'll believe them over a feeling in our insiders feathers.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Fucking hell this is embarrassing. All a dick wagging contest over the bigger number. That no Dev anywhere has even hinted at being upset or constrained with.

We used to be better than this GAF.

5FLrkCu.gif

Didn't the article say that the 4.5 GB for games came straight from Sony SDK documentation?

Why do we need confirmation based on vague forum comments? It's straight from Sony that they get 4.5. I'm very confused.

Edit: Yeah I thought I read that. From the article:

Sony's internal docs say that 4.5GB is the baseline amount of guaranteed memory available for game-makers

I agree for what its worth. I don't trust insiders on here apart from cBoat. But it's not the first time pen has been put to paper by DF before they have actual confirmation. And the speed of the dev environment leading up to launch leaves this information very open to being redundant by release. It's a subject without any confirmation because it won't have been tied down internally.

Wynnebeck

Banned
DF comes out with an article explicitly stating they got the 4.5GB + 512MB numbers from a PS4 SDK. Thuway then posts that he's got a "feeling in his feathers that it's 6GB" (paraphrasing). Everyone then is like "Oh, so it must be 6GB! The bird has spoken!".

The guys at DF are journalists, or at least they try to be so I'm hoping they got at least two sources before posting the article. After all, it's their day job and I'd hope they're pretty damn good at it. They of course get things wrong, just as insiders get things wrong. But when DF says they got the information from an actual PS4 SDK, I'll believe them over a feeling in our insiders feathers.

We already have a person verified by Bish who had said that the numbers DF had posted were wrong. Then we have two more credible insiders possibly corroborating on a set number that is different from what DF is saying. Where there is smoke, there's fire.

So there's that. I hope that there are some people at B3D pissed over this, and that some people realize how stupid it is to cancel over something like this.

Anyway, thanks Bruce and Thuway. Time for a title change?

#TeamThuway
#TeamBruce
on this. As for the guys that cancelled pre-orders, tsk tsk.

As for the guys over in B3D... even if DF admitted its 6GB, their so lost in group think they'll say its still 4.5gb. Hey someone with twitter, tweet DF and tell them their WRONG, AGAIN.

Actually people thought it was 7Gb in the past and not 4.5 so it won't be the same all over again.

still 6GB is pretty nice

Yeah, but as it was said, they are playing it safe for launch. Once the OS gets more optimized they may further shrink its size, as they did with the PS3.

I don't see how it's blind taking the word of insiders here who have had good track records, that's quite the opposite of blind.

It's quite easy for me not to care about what DF has to say after what happened with and insider and Bish. You're welcome to believe them though, I won't call you blind for it either.

Now you guys are happy with 6? A gig more? I hope you know the development community is laughing at these threads if one forum members comment is true.

You guys who like numbers you do know the PS4 has other things in the system besides RAM right? Not to mention which is still GDDR5. The GPU is still a good amount better than the XB1. Games are not made only with RAM.

Apath

Vita Seriously. Pick up one and use it. Any worries about the PS4 OS will melt away.
Vita has a great OS for a handheld, but it is way too damn fragmented to make me optimistic about the PS4 OS. If all there was to an OS was being fluid and feature rich, then yes, the Vita would be a beast.

REV 09

Stop being obtuse. You knew what he meant.
How about you quit downplaying reasonable reactions to this news. I don't think it matters much overall, but this forum went ape-shit over the 8gb nonsense...I personally feel that they should go equally ape-shit about the pullback, but maybe that's just me preferring consistency to hypocrisy.

So ur saying those guys with real names and sites have never been wrong before??

still 6GB is pretty nice

I mean that headlines and chatter have short memories. People are down about 4.5/5 being less than 7, but that would be all forgotten when the relief of 6 comes along.

The last feeling that will be processed is relief. People so quickly got down in 1 day on a "downgrade" and the inverse will happen on the "upgrade". They're already in mode of minus gigabytes which is frowny feelings. Next is plus gigabytes which is positive feelings. The 7GB hypothesis will be ancient forgotten history.

BigDug13

We already have a person verified by Bish who had said that the numbers DF had posted were wrong. Then we have two more credible insiders possibly corroborating on a set number that is different from what DF is saying. Where there is smoke, there's fire.

But DF was on point with their 7 minute video recording figure on PS4 right?

I guess I'm not as well versed in DF since I never paid attention before. I've only read their stuff about next gen info and none of what they've said fills me with confidence that they're an impartial party so far. But like I said, I wasn't around for all the years of comparing PS3 ports with 360 ports. But to be fair, 360 ports were almost 100% of the time superior to PS3 ports, so any MS bias would be disguised through those years. I'm personally not convinced by their reporting thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom