• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbenchley

I know he has to answer to the studio, but what I mean is that he has enough clout and power that if he wanted an R rating he'd get one. He just doesn't give a shit, just like Kingdom of Heaven. He chopped up that movie like a piece of meat instead of fighting for the original cut. At least this one will be PG-13 from the get-go.

I am utterly indifferent as to whether we get a PG-13 or R rating. When the original 1979 film was shown on television, they only thing they removed was the profanity. Everything else, including the chestburster scene, was left intact. If we get something comparable to the original Alien(moderate levels of gore and profanity, no full frontal nudity), a PG-13 rating would probably suffice, without Ridley having to compromise his vision.

FoneBone

I am utterly indifferent as to whether we get a PG-13 or R rating. When the original 1979 film was shown on television, they only thing they removed was the profanity. Everything else, including the chestburster scene, was left intact.
Not sure which network you're talking about, but nonetheless, TV is way more lenient than the MPAA about gore.

I know he has to answer to the studio, but what I mean is that he has enough clout and power that if he wanted an R rating he'd get one. He just doesn't give a shit, just like Kingdom of Heaven. He chopped up that movie like a piece of meat instead of fighting for the original cut. At least this one will be PG-13 from the get-go.
I don't think anyone other than Spielberg or Cameron has the "clout and power" to get what they want... not with a nine-figure budget, anyways. And what's your source for what happened with Kingdom of Heaven?

ok, could someone enlighten me on what was so good about scripts in the first three movies? Mindblowing dialogues? Complicated character development? Some symbolism I missed (aside from Alien 3)?

They were just a chain of situations which were done right, that's all.

Screenplay isn't just dialogue. It sets the tone for the movie. Gives the director a way to take the movie. Gives characters their personalities. You should read Alien's screenplay and you'll understand what people mean. Especially since you love the Alien movies.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think anyone other than Spielberg or Cameron has the "clout and power" to get what they want... not with a nine-figure budget, anyways. And what's your source for what happened with Kingdom of Heaven?

I would probably add Nolan to that list now.

Comic-Con '11: Ridley Scott Is Shooting For Both An R-Rated & PG-13 Cut Of 'Prometheus'

1. Scott is currently shooting the film with two different cuts in mind.
All four original "Alien" films were released as R-rated cuts (indeed, of the six films so far, only "Alien vs. Predator" was PG-13), but rumors have been rife that Fox is keen for the film to be open to a wider audience, and is pushing for a more teen-friendly rating. In Hall H, Lindelof asked the director, "Is the PG-13 going to inhibit you from telling the story you want to tell?" and Scott responded "No, not at all. I have a responsibility to my studio, but I always make sure we have both options. You’re crazy not to. Tom and I will both look at it and decide what the best way of going. I’ve fundamentally covered our ass. But there will still be naked push-ups." -- the naked push-ups in question being part of the footage shown, a glimpse at Charlize Theron's character. Reading between the lines, this means that, gorier, nuder material is being shot, but don't count on it being part of the theatrical release; an unrated DVD/Blu-Ray will likely surface around Christmas 2012.

There you go Jett and everyone else. Rating doesn't matter as long as the tone, pacing, and scares are still there.

Jarmel

Banned
Probably. Though even he couldn't do an R-rated Batman.

I don't think he would even want to do a rated R Batman in the first place as the movies and scripts still have that sort of idealism to them.

Edit: Holy SHIT at nude push-ups of Charlize Theron. Will want.

jett

D-Member
For the record I believe that if this movie is shot in mind for PG-13 the theatrical release will be fine. If they really do this "double release in mind" nonsense then well...whatever.

Not sure which network you're talking about, but nonetheless, TV is way more lenient than the MPAA about gore.

My sauce is the theatrical release of KoH! Only someone who doesn't care would do something like that.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Screenplay isn't just dialogue. It sets the tone for the movie. Gives the director a way to take the movie. Gives characters their personalities. You should read Alien's screenplay and you'll understand what people mean. Especially since you love the Alien movies.

ok, I'll read it.

Timbuktu

I remember from his commentary on the DC cut of KoH, where he basically said something like... "you have to understand the studios, at thend it's their money and they're taking the risk, so you have to give them what they want as long as i get the DC on dvd."

Maybe it is because of his background from advertising, but it does feel that he would roll over for studios and not because he doesn't have clout, he wouldn't fight as long as he has his DC. i've said this before about KoH, but it does make me angry with him for letting people waste their money on a cut that he doesn't believe in. It would be worst for Prometheus, if it's in 3D and in IMAX theatres, you can't just replicate that on on home release.

jett

D-Member
I remember from his commentary on the DC cut of KoH, where he basically said something like... "you have to understand the studios, at thend it's their money and they're taking the risk, so you have to give them what they want as long as i get the DC on dvd."

Maybe it is because of his background from advertising, but it does feel that he would roll over for studios and not because he doesn't have clout, he wouldn't fight as long as he has his DC. i've said this before about KoH, but it does make me angry with him for letting people waste their money on a cut that he doesn't believe in. It would be worst for Prometheus, if it's in 3D and in IMAX theatres, you can't just replicate that on on home release.

You know what's the best/saddest thing about KOH's theatrical release, that it still tanked despite being dropped to PG13 and an hour being excised from the running time. You'd think that would've taught 'em, but no.

Watching the DC on a big screen would be an amazing experience, and I promise you that movie would've been nominated for academy awards.

FoneBone

If we want to talk some maybe-spoilerish stuff that might actually be legit - over in this thread, there's a synopsis of an earlier draft of the script. (This is before Lindelof got on board, and Fassbender's character wasn't even in the movie, so I'd expect big changes for the actual film.)

Pctx

Banned
I am not reading those spoilers............................................................................................................................................................

This 'taking it too wider audiences' was the reason Ridley had to come back and clean up the mess Tom made of the franchises. Rothman really needs shot out of a cannon. Useless knob

"It will be conceived for and shot in 3D."

NNNOOOOOO!!!

I f**king hate it. Hate the 3D experience (more like a gimmick), and hate even more the fact it makes the 2D experience worse, as everything is shot with 3D in mind.

Thumbs up for "There will be no green screens" though

Movies that are shot in 3D usually look great in 3D and 2D. This isn't going to have shit popping out at you every five seconds. I'm willing to make an Avatar bet that it will be more like Hugo and Avatar than post processed 3D crap.

Ithil

"It will be conceived for and shot in 3D."

NNNOOOOOO!!!

I f**king hate it. Hate the 3D experience (more like a gimmick), and hate even more the fact it makes the 2D experience worse, as everything is shot with 3D in mind.

Thumbs up for "There will be no green screens" though

It's Ridley Scott, not Paul WS Anderson.

Stop worrying about the 3D.

Is the first movie being shot entirely on RED too? Also, is this 48fps or 24? I know hobbit is RED and 48Fps not sure about this one.

They're shooting on similar set-ups as The Hobbit (RED Epics with custom 3ality rigs), but in 24 FPS.

Amazing Spider-Man was shot in 3D with Epics, as well.

Melchiah

Movies that are shot in 3D usually look great in 3D and 2D. This isn't going to have shit popping out at you every five seconds. I'm willing to make an Avatar bet that it will be more like Hugo and Avatar than post processed 3D crap.

They look great, but they tend to have the usual mandatory 3D goofiness attached, such as things coming at you, that movies shot with the good old 2D in mind do not have. And for me personally, they often break the illusion the movie tries to create.

They look great, but they tend to have the usual mandatory 3D goofiness attached, such as things coming at you, that movies shot with the good old 2D in mind do not have. And for me personally, they often break the illusion the movie tries to create.

That's why it's good to check out 3D films made by, y'know, smart filmmakers.

You've been watching the wrong 3D movies. Go watch Hugo now.

JdFoX187

Banned
Why do people keep saying Kingdom of Heaven was PG-13 in the theaters? It was R rated with some pretty brutal violence. What Ridley hacked to death was the subplot with the queen and her son. And from the interviews I read, he was not happy about having to do that at all. I don't blame him. Kingdom of Heaven is a piece of shit movie. Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut is top 5 for Ridley.

As far as this movie goes, Ridley doesn't have the pull that a lot of people say he does. He's really not very successful at the box office, and with his last movie, Robin Hood, doing terribly, I'm not surprised he's on a short leash. I'm just glad that he has been given the freedom to do his own cut of the film, even if it comes out on blu ray.

Melchiah

...all is lost on you.

I just can't stand the shooting style; things coming/pointed at you, awkward angles, long falls/corridors... it just reminds me of 80's 3D too much. Not to mention, that I hate the 3D effect itself, and the glasses you have to wear, which are heavy and blur the image. It feels like a step back in progress.

Mr. Sam

Not to mention that it just adds yet another thing for cinema workers to bugger up. When I went to see Toy Story 3, all the 3D glasses did was unblur the image.

Ithil

I just can't stand the shooting style; things coming/pointed at you, awkward angles, long falls/corridors... it just reminds me of 80's 3D too much. Not to mention, that I hate the 3D effect itself, and the glasses you have to wear, which are heavy and blur the image. It feels like a step back in progress.

I can literally only think of a single moment in Avatar when something flew at the screen.

Mr. Sam

I can literally only think of a single moment in Avatar when something flew at the screen.

When Jake's tossing grenades in the engines of the jet or whatever toward the end of the movie. The pins of the grenades fly at the screen in slow motion.

Otherwise I'm with you - 3D can be a force for good.

Melchiah

IIRC, there were the usual something-pointed-at-you scenes though.

P.S. The thing I hate the most in the 3D fad, is that you can't see many of the movies in good old 2D in theaters anymore. It's 3D version or nothing at all. Which is why I've pretty much stopped going to theaters.

FoneBone

As far as this movie goes, Ridley doesn't have the pull that a lot of people say he does. He's really not very successful at the box office, and with his last movie, Robin Hood, doing terribly, I'm not surprised he's on a short leash. I'm just glad that he has been given the freedom to do his own cut of the film, even if it comes out on blu ray.
This. He's a "name" director, but his box office track record isn't nearly strong enough to give him the kind of leverage over Fox that some of you think he could exert.

I will say that while I'd rather have it be R-rated, gore isn't everything... that mindset leads you to AVP2 *shudder*.

filler

Banned
I plan to see it multiple times at the theater anyway. So I'll watch the 3D and regular version. The tough part is deciding which to see first.

Binabik15

I bought Alien Anthology. I already own the DVD 8 disc set, but thanks to crazy UK pricing both versions together were ~25€. Just watched Aliens to show it to someone who'd never seen it and we'll watch Alien soon. Sooo good. Then 3 later and maybe even 4, which I've never seen entirely.

I'll be a bit angry when this movie isn´t great or at least very good.

P.S. The thing I hate the most in the 3D fad, is that you can't see many of the movies in good old 2D in theaters anymore. It's 3D version or nothing at all. Which is why I've pretty much stopped going to theaters.

Nothing flies out at you in Avatar. 3D also doesn't make it blurry unless it is post processed shit.

Decado

I have trouble believing its really significant when a director says he is making two cuts of a film. Yeah, you can throw in some more swearing/gore and get an R-rating, but IMO, it often shows when a film is targeting an older audience (it goes beyond just blood).

Sounds to me like the other cut of Prometheus is still going to be a PG-13 kids movie, just with more blood/language.

That being said, I guess it's better than nothing. Hopefully the action scenes and some dramatic moments are improved by that flexibility. I won't be seeing the PG-13 version in theatres, though.

I really wanted R. Scott to make The Forever War movie he was talking about a while back :(

He's pretty hit and miss for me. Either I love his movies or can't stand them. I don't like any of his PG-13 movies.

I honestly can't tell if you're just having trouble articulating what you think is wrong, or if you have actually seen a movie in 3D.

Melchiah

Nothing flies out at you in Avatar. 3D also doesn't make it blurry unless it is post processed shit.

Like I said, pointed at you, not thrown at you. From my experience the glasses blur and darken the image.

I honestly can't tell if you're just having trouble articulating what you think is wrong, or if you have actually seen a movie in 3D.

Why is it so hard to believe? Not everyone likes it. Actually I don't know anyone who would prefer to see the movies in 3D.

Ragnarok

I don't really care if you like 3D or not but wtf heavy glasses? You honestly think that the 3D glasses you wear at the theater are heavy?! What a ridiculous complaint.

I have trouble believing its really significant when a director says he is making two cuts of a film. Yeah, you can throw in some more swearing/gore and get an R-rating, but IMO, it often shows when a film is targeting an older audience (it goes beyond just blood).

Sounds to me like the other cut of Prometheus is still going to be a PG-13 kids movie, just with more blood/language.

That being said, I guess it's better than nothing. Hopefully the action scenes and some dramatic moments are improved by that flexibility. I won't be seeing the PG-13 version in theatres, though.

I really wanted R. Scott to make The Forever War movie he was talking about a while back :(

He's pretty hit and miss for me. Either I love his movies or can't stand them. I don't like any of his PG-13 movies.

It's not going to be a kids movie. Tons of PG-13 movies are not for kids. This is why it is a stupid rating.

Like I said, pointed at you, not thrown at you. From my experience the glasses blur and darken the image.

Why is it so hard to believe? Not everyone likes it. Actually I don't know anyone who would prefer to see the movies in 3D.

I didn't say it was hard to believe. I said it's difficult to tell the differene between a bad experience at the theater and made-up complaints.

God knows the technology isn't perfect, but knee-jerk reactions to what (some) filmmakers want to use as a tool to tell stories comes off as stubborn at best and completely ignorant at worst.

Melchiah

I don't really care if you like 3D or not but wtf heavy glasses? You honestly think that the 3D glasses you wear at the theater are heavy?! What a ridiculous complaint.

Everyone of us had hard time concentrating on the movie due to the glasses being heavy, pressing on the nose, and constantly moving lower so they needed to be adjusted. Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to judge other people's experiences based on yours.

I didn't say it was hard to believe. I said it's difficult to tell the differene between a bad experience at the theater and made-up complaints.

God knows the technology isn't perfect, but knee-jerk reactions to what (some) filmmakers want to use as a tool to tell stories comes off as stubborn at best and completely ignorant at worst.

I dunno whether it's partly an age thing, as most of my friends are between 30-40, and have experienced the dreaded 80's 3D, or whether it's about the difference in technology in US theaters and Finnish theaters, or whether it's just a personal preference to stick with the problem-free 2D experience.

Personally, I can say that I will never again go to see a 3D version of a movie in a theater. It's a damn shame if that means I'll have to wait until the DVD/BR release to see a movie.

There should not be a limit to an artist's vision. 3D is not a gimmick, even if many directors don't know to use it to their advantage, it's another tool for the artist. Just like an artists uses color or different lens, they have a choice to use depth and dimension. You are free to not like it but dismissing it is limiting creativity.

Melchiah

There should not be a limit to an artist's vision. 3D is not a gimmick, even if many directors don't know to use it to their advantage, it's another tool for the artist. Just like an artists uses color or different lens, they have a choice to use depth and dimension. You are free to not like it but dismissing it is limiting creativity.

The same could be said about 2D, and keeping the 3D as the only option in theaters is limiting the people's choice.

filler

Banned
The glasses I had to wear for Avatar at the imax were troublesome. Pretty much exactly what Melch described. Getting bored about an hour in just made it all even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom