• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Rapstah

Regarding the griefing, was the Citizen status thing abolished recently or am I misreading the posts above? I get that there would be such a large pool of citizens now that the system might as well not exist, but it's still in place, right?

MackVee

Neo Member
The Technoicus map looks like it's finished, thanks Mengy for sticking it out.

I love how detailed it all looks. :D
Regarding the griefing, was the Citizen status thing abolished recently or am I misreading the posts above? I get that there would be such a large pool of citizens now that the system might as well not exist, but it's still in place, right?
When the server was updated, it broke many things including Citizen status, but that's been fixed now.

Yeah, I woke up this morning, hopped on NeoCraft, and Charlie and Mack were discussing about all the damage and griefing. I'm just glad it got rolled back and things are alright.

Watching all those Lets Play Minecraft and Mindcrack videos has inspired me to come back, too. I'll probably do a LP of my fortress build on the server once I get all the details sorted out.

Rapstah

Just one of the wheat sides had lava poured on it. It looked like they activated the water after they placed it though because most of the lava was turned into cobble.

Huh, so they basically did a griefing tour of the server, hitting all of the warps? That must have taken a lot more effort than it actually took to reset the server, unlike that one time that caused us to start doing citizen statuses.

Something about seeing my harvester in ruins would be oddly pleasing for some reason. Was it hit hard? Got pics? :D

Got a couple of pics of the griefing :-

ksR1O.jpg

tbLSH.jpg

f75FF.jpg

So it was fairly extensive, hell Pioneer which bore the brunt of it was a complete mess ..... oh wait a minute it always looked like that :p . But it didn't take long to fix it, all hail the wonderful world of backups.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
I would suggest NeoCraft look at some logging plugins. It could have been easily determined who did this nonsense and then every action they took since joining could have been rolled back.

I offer my assistance, if needed, on setting something up for you guys to help combat stuff like this from causing issues again.

ZZMitch

Hey guys, this probably isn't the best time heh but I was wondering how much the multiplayer portion has caught up to the single player. I used to play multiplayer with GAF way back, but I got annoyed at the bugs and not having certain features and stuff so I decided to stick with singleplayer. Has the multiplayer been brought up to par lately? I am thinking about getting back into it and maybe joining the GAF server again (I won't grief! :p).

Vlad

Hey guys, this probably isn't the best time heh but I was wondering how much the multiplayer portion has caught up to the single player. I used to play multiplayer with GAF way back, but I got annoyed at the bugs and not having certain features and stuff so I decided to stick with singleplayer. Has the multiplayer been brought up to par lately? I am thinking about getting back into it and maybe joining the GAF server again (I won't grief! :p).

Yeah, the multiplayer's been on-par with the SP game for quite some time, now. As far as I know, there isn't a single feature in SP that doesn't work in MP.

ZZMitch

Yeah, the multiplayer's been on-par with the SP game for quite some time, now. As far as I know, there isn't a single feature in SP that doesn't work in MP.

Oh alright, great. It has been over a year at least since I looked at multiplayer so I am a little out of the loop. Do I need someone to send me the address or something?

defel

There are still a few glitches in SMP such as mobs glitching through walls, various lag issues and such but its extremely playable and also Mojang have a dedicated team working on finally getting Minecraft multiplayer friendly (in other words they are making multiplayer and single player work in exactly the same way) so they should be identical very soon.

edit: and to get the address quote the second or third post down at the start of the thread

-Minsc-

Oh alright, great. It has been over a year at least since I looked at multiplayer so I am a little out of the loop. Do I need someone to send me the address or something?

Quote the third or so post on the first page of this thread, it's hidden in there.

Rapstah

I would suggest NeoCraft look at some logging plugins. It could have been easily determined who did this nonsense and then every action they took since joining could have been rolled back.

I offer my assistance, if needed, on setting something up for you guys to help combat stuff like this from causing issues again.

Exano's server had a pretty usable log plugin that actually logged every single modified block in a way that moderators could access, with time stamps and users responsible labelled clearly. It was functional in what I could tell from playing with it a little, but I never really tested it out in a real griefing situation because there was very little of that on that server.

I guess the issue is how earlily in the server's life you have to install that kind of plug in for it to start working meaningfully, and how much space the logging actually takes. If you are logging every modified block X weeks back, then that file is going to be quite a bit larger than just the block data for the edited blocks. You would need to store the removed block, the new block and time stamp and user strings, and I can only guess the number of blocks moved over a week is a whole fucking load.

Aren't we sort of limited in what the hosting service (Multiplay?) can offer, too? Or can any addon be requested or even manually installed by the person renting the server?

That's a very kind offer. We have a chance to break the cycle of 'Get griefed > talk about security plug ins > forget about it > get griefed > And so on' - let's do it :D

ZZMitch

Had a fun first day on the server, built a little port and building area. I am building my home on a deserted island. It has been a nice change of pace from how I usually play and being on a server has been cool.

-Minsc-

Had a fun first day on the server, built a little port and building area. I am building my home on a deserted island. It has been a nice change of pace from how I usually play and being on a server has been cool.

Once I started playing on a server I hardly ever looked back at solo play.

ZZMitch

Once I started playing on a server I hardly ever looked back at solo play.

Yeah, it is really cool when you are doing something like exploring a cave or wandering in the woods and you see something human made. I used to play multiplayer over a year ago but got annoyed by all the bugs. It seems like most of those have been fixed though, which is great.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Exano's server had a pretty usable log plugin that actually logged every single modified block in a way that moderators could access, with time stamps and users responsible labelled clearly. It was functional in what I could tell from playing with it a little, but I never really tested it out in a real griefing situation because there was very little of that on that server.

I guess the issue is how earlily in the server's life you have to install that kind of plug in for it to start working meaningfully, and how much space the logging actually takes. If you are logging every modified block X weeks back, then that file is going to be quite a bit larger than just the block data for the edited blocks. You would need to store the removed block, the new block and time stamp and user strings, and I can only guess the number of blocks moved over a week is a whole fucking load.

Aren't we sort of limited in what the hosting service (Multiplay?) can offer, too? Or can any addon be requested or even manually installed by the person renting the server?

I don't know what the setup is for NeoCraft, but we own the server for Yeticraft, so there's no limits. If there is some type of access to the filesystem, something like WinSCP to connect could add any plugin wanted. Also, you would not need to have installed the plugin a long time ago. It will log everything from the day it's put on and moving forward. Heck, if you wanted to return something to the way it was before anyone even built, you can use the seed to regen a specific area like the map was just made (no logging necessary).

To keep down on the size of the logs, you would only need to keep the logs for a week and then have them auto trash. You should know if someone has gone full moron within a week. Thus, being able to revert the damage to a week max, would be all you would need.

The big hangup would be if you can get a SQL server running or if the host for NeoCraft offers one. If you can't get a SQL server, there's some flatfile options that would work ok too.

That's a very kind offer. We have a chance to break the cycle of 'Get griefed > talk about security plug ins > forget about it > get griefed > And so on' - let's do it :D

Like I said, I'm more than willing to offer my help. Anyone that has played on yeticraft knows myself and trainee write the plugins we use. We could even modify the protection we use for our blocks/chests and basically make everyone on NeoCraft like a Sasquai or Yowie player from yeticraft. That would make it so no one could break blocks or access chests without being /allowed by the player. If they tried, they would get smacked down by the grief protection we wrote.

defel

Would someone mind posting a link to the Neocraft map. The link in the OP is dead and Ive searched several pages back without success. I know its there somewhere.

Posting here to say that I havent appeared on the server for a few days now (not that anyone has noticed :() for 2 reasons:

1 - Diablo 3 Open Beta Weekend - game is awesome and you should be ashamed of yourselves for not getting it. :p

2 - Been playing a lot this singleplayer world I made for my 4 year old niece. all she wants to do is go hunt monsters. So when Im with her, I go to caves and stock up on iron and coal. Then when Im alone I build stuff. :D

Its a lot of fun that the home I built is on the tip of this continent and I spread a lot of torches around in an organized manner, so it looks really sweet and monsters wont spawn anywhere near the house.

Also, made a tall tower with a waterfall at the top for her to enjoy and I am now working on planting wheat and growing this huge animal farm I have next to the house.

Everything is so simple but Im having a blast. :)

This game is just fantastic. Its like the gift that keeps on giving.

Posting here to say that I havent appeared on the server for a few days now (not that anyone has noticed :()

Oh I always notice ;-) it can be downright lonely on the server sometimes. I guess it doesn't help that everyone keeps asking me to ban them because they have "real world" stuff to do (what ever this "real world" thing is). I haven't bothered with single player since I discovered Neocraft. I always feel that time in SP is time I could be spending in MP.

Anyway the amusement dome is 99.9% finished now. I will be doing a post about it a little later I am sure we are all curious to see another tale about Ginny, Gerald and Margo :p but for now here is a kinda cool mini-map view of the largest dome on the server :-

byq8w.jpg

Oh I always notice ;-) it can be downright lonely on the server sometimes. I guess it doesn't help that everyone keeps asking me to ban them because they have "real world" stuff to do (what ever this "real world" thing is). I haven't bothered with single player since I discovered Neocraft. I always feel that time in SP is time I could be spending in MP.

Anyway the amusement dome is 99.9% finished now. I will be doing a post about it a little later I am sure we are all curious to see another tale about Ginny, Gerald and Margo :p but for now here is a kinda cool mini-map view of the largest dome on the server :-

byq8w.jpg

This is my first time seeing it on the minimap (haven't reinstalled Rei's yet) and I must admit that thing is pretty jam packed with stuff.

SteveWD40

First few hours exploring the server: "wow, these guys don't fuck about!"

Now I need to know where to go to start a building where I won't be encroaching on other folks and mining into other peoples mines too much. So from the spawn, which direction would be best to head in?

why dont you just put the whole world in a dome, CrAzYLeGzLU?

Damn you stumbled on our evil masterplan for what we were planning to do after Dome City is finished.

OK now before you look at these screenshots please bear in mind that up till 2 hours ago I thought "Ray Tracing" was the act of searching your family tree to see if you had a relation called Ray (boy was I wrong).

I have been seeing a few screenshots of Minecraft for a while now that look absolutely fantastic and these have been done by importing a portion of the world into a ray tracing program. I thought I would give it a go and so far I am having a lot of fun with it but the results are not quite as spectacular as others have produced. Anyway here are my efforts so far :-

Qw53t.jpg

CrAnf.jpg

6C2K3.jpg

Rwh5U.jpg

fiIsW.jpg

The first three are obviously of Dome City, then you have one of Xun's castle and a quick attempt at capturing the "majesty" of pioneer town. To give you an idea of how far you could take this here is a screenshot from someone that actually knows what the hell they are doing in a ray tracing program :-

RxWxQ.jpg

It is actually quite easy to do. All the software is free and a bit of fiddling soon gets you doing something. Just grab a copy of Mineways (this allows you to select the area of your MC world you want to render) and you can get a free Ray tracing program called Blender. I for one would love to see what others could do with this.

Top Bottom