• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Tron Show - Reviews, Lists, Madness

Choomp

Banned
So I just noticed it's been five months since JonTron's last video. I haven't been following him at all. Anyone know what he does these days? Did he quit Youtube after the storm?

Not sure. He said that there was going to be an April JonTron back then. He's been active on Twitter and stuff recently, so can't be sure yet.

Neiteio

As a former fan, I'm still devastated that Jontron harbors these racist views.

I've probably watched and re-watched more Jontron episodes in the past few years than any other show (I don't watch much TV). His sense of humor (at least on The Jontron Show) always resonated with me, and reminded me of good friends I had growing up. Just lighthearted and playful stuff — never mean or at anyone's expense.

He was as a good comedian should be: Someone who feels like your best friend, a best friend to all — loving, kind, and nonjudgmental. But it's hard to think of him that way now that he's gone on record saying things like "blacks are predisposed to crime" and that immigration "dilutes the founding stock of this country," and then doubling down on it like it's a harmless opinion. Just batshit insane stuff that might not be consciously hateful, but that enables all sorts of harmful stuff in society.

We know he is friends with people of color (you may remember him singing Les Miserables with a black friend on his Banjo-Kazooie stream for charity, the one with an appearance by Grant Kirkhope). He grew up in Cali and lives in NYC, two places with diverse populations and progressive politics. All of this painted a picture of someone who is not only tolerant, but who sees everyone as equals. So for him to pull this about-face with the white supremacy shit totally blindsided me.

A part of me still hopes he'll take this opportunity to reflect on the existence of racism today, and that he'll commit to change. That he'll not only apologize, but that he'll use his powerful platform to actively fight racism (and sexism, and discrimination of any sort), and to actively promote equality and inclusion.

He is a man with extraordinary talent, and he commands a level of influence that he could use to create meaningful change in the world. He could use his platform to promote a kinder, gentler world... but first he has to sincerely apologize for what went wrong, he has to condemn racist views and show how he's changed, and he then needs to follow that up with efforts that actively push back against the hatred espoused by the alt right.

I still believe he's a good person at heart, but he has some very harmful views he needs to sort out. He needs to recognize the evil that is the alt right, and actively work to stop it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I agree. I think he needs to take a break. Hopefully think things over a bit. But who knows if he'll go back on what he said. If he's just gonna keep doubling down harder then that's what he believes and so be it. I'm very curious to see what he puts out next. But I'm not in a hurry. I've found so many really good YouTubers to watch who do stuff as good as or better anyway. The market is saturated now.

It's always interesting when I am watching someone else and they casually mention the whole thing. They're all obviously distancing themselves.

Will he have a REACT-style comeback or disappear like Yogscast*. Who knows.

*Note: I don't actually know if YogsCast disappeared or not. All I know is I haven't heard of them in forever and literally a dozen better Minecrafters have filled their shoes since anyway.

LycanXIII

I agree. I think he needs to take a break. Hopefully think things over a bit. But who knows if he'll go back on what he said. If he's just gonna keep doubling down harder then that's what he believes and so be it. I'm very curious to see what he puts out next. But I'm not in a hurry. I've found so many really good YouTubers to watch who do stuff as good as or better anyway. The market is saturated now.

It's always interesting when I am watching someone else and they casually mention the whole thing. They're all obviously distancing themselves.

Will he have a REACT-style comeback or disappear like Yogscast*. Who knows.

*Note: I don't actually know if YogsCast disappeared or not. All I know is I haven't heard of them in forever and literally a dozen better Minecrafters have filled their shoes since anyway.

Yogscast is still around, they've just stayed out of controversy lately. Simon's basically gone, so they don't have a manbaby hurting them any more.

I'm hoping he's taking a break and reevaluating where his life choices have taken him where he thought these opinions weren't shitty. I hope he is educating himself and aiming to do better and realize that no, it wasn't just cucks who couldn't handle different opinions but that shit he said was legitimately racist. That when sponsors, your gaming heroes, and your (former) group of youtuber friends all turn their back on you and only alt-right leaning people are on your camp for the most part that maybe you fucked up.

I hope he comes back with a genuine apology. I'd be willing to give him another chance if he calls himself an idiot and that he should have known better and will aim for better. But these are hopes of mine with nothing to back them and I'm sure he has continued to make shitty tweets.

Choomp

Banned
As a former fan, I'm still devastated that Jontron harbors these racist views.

I've probably watched and re-watched more Jontron episodes in the past few years than any other show (I don't watch much TV). His sense of humor (at least on The Jontron Show) always resonated with me, and reminded me of good friends I had growing up. Just lighthearted and playful stuff — never mean or at anyone's expense.

He was as a good comedian should be: Someone who feels like your best friend, a best friend to all — loving, kind, and nonjudgmental. But it's hard to think of him that way now that he's gone on record saying things like "blacks are predisposed to crime" and that immigration "dilutes the founding stock of this country," and then doubling down on it like it's a harmless opinion. Just batshit insane stuff that might not be consciously hateful, but that enables all sorts of harmful stuff in society.

We know he is friends with people of color (you may remember him singing Les Miserables with a black friend on his Banjo-Kazooie stream for charity, the one with an appearance by Grant Kirkhope). He grew up in Cali and lives in NYC, two places with diverse populations and progressive politics. All of this painted a picture of someone who is not only tolerant, but who sees everyone as equals. So for him to pull this about-face with the white supremacy shit totally blindsided me.

A part of me still hopes he'll take this opportunity to reflect on the existence of racism today, and that he'll commit to change. That he'll not only apologize, but that he'll use his powerful platform to actively fight racism (and sexism, and discrimination of any sort), and to actively promote equality and inclusion.

He is a man with extraordinary talent, and he commands a level of influence that he could use to create meaningful change in the world. He could use his platform to promote a kinder, gentler world... but first he has to sincerely apologize for what went wrong, he has to condemn racist views and show how he's changed, and he then needs to follow that up with efforts that actively push back against the hatred espoused by the alt right.

I still believe he's a good person at heart, but he has some very harmful views he needs to sort out. He needs to recognize the evil that is the alt right, and actively work to stop it.

I think this is a pretty good all around post. Agreed.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I absolutely agree with Neiteio. It was so fun introducing & seeing my friend's reactions to his videos, but man, I can't bring myself to go back & watch old episodes again because of all the crap that's happened. Heck, I don't even feel as though I should be making quotes or using gifs associated with him anymore. It sucks knowing that after so many years of watching his videos his true opinions of the world. I remember reading a thread in Off-Topic about how a fan's younger cousin was crying after seeing what he was saying because they felt it was directed towards them.

I haven't really been following much, but I just know he hasn't uploaded any videos since the Drug PSAs & whatever's been said in this thread.

....speaking of which, I miss the days when I would see this thread get a new post thinking a new video had been posted, but now it just makes me fear he's done something that just adds fuel to the fire.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yogscast is still around, they've just stayed out of controversy lately. Simon's basically gone, so they don't have a manbaby hurting them any more.
Well back then, Simon and Lewis were YogsCast as far as I cared. I really don't care about them anymore.

When I want a Minecraft fix these days (Which is every day) I go to BdoubleO, Mumbo Jumbo, Docm77, Xisuma and Etho.

I'm hoping he's taking a break and reevaluating where his life choices have taken him where he thought these opinions weren't shitty. I hope he is educating himself and aiming to do better and realize that no, it wasn't just cucks who couldn't handle different opinions but that shit he said was legitimately racist. That when sponsors, your gaming heroes, and your (former) group of youtuber friends all turn their back on you and only alt-right leaning people are on your camp for the most part that maybe you fucked up.

I hope he comes back with a genuine apology. I'd be willing to give him another chance if he calls himself an idiot and that he should have known better and will aim for better. But these are hopes of mine with nothing to back them and I'm sure he has continued to make shitty tweets.

A quick look at his twitter and it seems like he's just posting innocuous, regular personal stuff or retweeting funny tweets. Still no comment on his show or anything controversial. I hope he's taking time to re-evaluate the stuff he's said and done in the past few months.

A quick look at his twitter and it seems like he's just posting innocuous, regular personal stuff or retweeting funny tweets. Still no comment on his show or anything controversial. I hope he's taking time to re-evaluate the stuff he's said and done in the past few months.

He came out with good stuff despite those beliefs, if his content doesn't push those beliefs, who really cares what he believes in private.

To the thought police, sure.

I separate the art from the artist, enjoying his content doesn't mean I agree with everything he does.

Mel Gibson did/said some very anti-Semitic things, I can still enjoy The Road Warrior movie.
Legitimate question has all the shit he has said been about you or your people? Because lately when someone says they separate the art from the artist so very easily it's when the shit the person does or says doesn't affect them in the slightest. I fell on the same trap at first and I realized later that I turned on him when he started saying shit about defending poor white people and how immigrants are stealing this country from them. Which is hypocritical as fuck but hey, I'm aiming to increase my empathy.

WillyFive

To the thought police, sure.

I separate the art from the artist, enjoying his content doesn't mean I agree with everything he does.

Mel Gibson did/said some very anti-Semitic things, I can still enjoy The Road Warrior movie.

When you support a person, you are also supporting their beliefs, as they can see they can continue to think that way since it doesn't affect their work. The idea of separating the art from the artist is only appropriate when they have been long gone and dead for hundreds of they are still around, they still have the power to spread those hateful beliefs to other people.

Legitimate question has all the shit he has said been about you or your people? Because lately when someone says they separate the art from the artist so very easily it's when the shit the person does or says doesn't affect them in the slightest. I fell on the same trap at first and I realized later that I turned on him when he started saying shit about defending poor white people and how immigrants are stealing this country from them. Which is hypocritical as fuck but hey, I'm aiming to increase my empathy.

I've only seen snippets form his talk with Destiny. It didn't affect me personally since I don't take things personal form people I've never met or anonymous online.

If I started going through the history of content creators/movie/game makers for stuff I disagree with I'd miss on a lot of good stuff.

You wouldn't make the case that people should feel bad for enjoying a movie like The Road Warrior, would you?

WillyFive

I've only seen snippets form his talk with Destiny. It didn't affect me personally since I don't take things personal form people I've never met or anonymous online.

If I started going through the history of content creators/movie/game makers for stuff I disagree with I'd miss on a lot of good stuff.

You wouldn't make the case that people should feel bad for enjoying a movie like The Road Warrior, would you?

If you want to support someone like Gibson or JonTron, that's between you and your conscience.

Well I would make that case in the same way that I'd make the case for 'you should feel bad for eating animal meat.'

I'm not a vegetarian and it doesn't bother me at all so I eat meat, but I'm not going to say that vegetarians are wrong for choosing not to eat meat. Go ahead and follow your beliefs. It's only when they get pushy and try to make you feel bad for not following their same beliefs that it goes overboard.

??

I'm not watching the road warrior to see Mel Gibson, I'm watching the road warrior as a movie.

Jon tron his show he's selling a personality since his format is a review show with jokes and him talking to the audience. Similar to how say people don't want to watch Glenn Beck.

If you want to continue watching then all to you man. But when minorities are saying "I don't want to watch this racist piece of shit who says talking points from people who want me out of this country" and you come in with "well I can separate artist from the art". How noble of you, what a bigger man.

You do you, I'm not going to say you shouldn't watch him if he continues to hold these stances, but me personally I'm not.

NexusCell

Not sure as anyone is still interested, but Jon released his first episode since the controversy, reviewing Cool as Ice.

Don't exactly plan on watching it, but I guess might as well just put it out there.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So it didn't really address anything. Just a "Where have I been" video. No mention of any controversy at all.

I dunno really. I mean.. I dunno. Did he learn anything at all? Has he ever addressed it recently? Or is he just trying to pretend it didn't happen and stay out of politics (hopefully) and just keep making funny videos for his 3 million subscribers? Who knows. I guess we'll see how well the new stuff does and let the audience decide. I mean 3 million people didn't unsubscribe, me included only because A) I'm lazy and B) I wanted to see when and what comes next. Thankfully he didn't flood his channel with stupid "Why you all mad at me?" videos and seems to just want to move on. So judge him how you like. Unsubscribe from the channel and thread if you need to. I feel he's been gone long enough I don't feel super compelled to have to watch his stuff no matter what. But I'll keep him on the subscriptions list out of morbid curiosity to see how this plays out.

I'm just so glad Arin and Danny aren't terrible people. I'd have to kill myself if I had to lose my Grumps to shit like this... or just find someone else to enjoy as much... like PB and Jeff and the Beard Bros.. which I already love as much anyway...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy crap, actual new content.

But....yeah, I don't know. I guess I'll give it a watch, but I told my friend about what happened & he looked up more details about what Jon said & was just shocked.

On the one hand, as long as that crap isn't brought up again/he doesn't try to be all "i was gone cuz everyone was mad at me for some reason", I guess I'll give him a few more videos, but I fear the comments are going to be just toxic for now on, especially with people who'll try to defend the crap he stated. I guess if he doesn't bring his views into the videos themselves, I'll be able to give his videos a chance, but at this point, I can't even bring myself to watch his older stuff because I don't know if I can separate his online persona from his true self, & I perfectly understand why people wouldn't want to give future videos a chance.

If anything, just a simple "what I said was wrong/terrible & I apologize" would probably put some of it at rest....assuming he actually means it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If he was smart (uh yeah) he'd disable comments anyway. And I watch all my YouTube on my TV now anyway so I don't even get the option to view comments. (Or add to Favorites for some stupid reason. Fuck, YouTube. The TV app needs so much work!)

I can't even remember if I unfollowed him on Twitter or not. All I know is I haven't seen anything tweeted in a while. Maybe I have. I dunno.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Gave it a watch.

There was a few "haha, okay that was funny" moments (
MEDIOCRE BURN AT BEST, A critical hit!, & "BITCH, WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD"
), but nothing that made me truly laugh. I can't help but wonder if it's because the material just wasn't good or if I'd feel bad for laughing knowing what kind of person he is.

I do wish he'd go back to games, it feels like he's barely done them in exchange for movies now.

NexusCell

Gave it a watch.

), but nothing that made me truly laugh. I can't help but wonder if it's because the material just wasn't good or if I'd feel bad for laughing knowing what kind of person he is.

I do wish he'd go back to games, it feels like he's barely done them in exchange for movies now.

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that he's moved on from video games for material. Probably because its a lot easier to make material for a 2 hour movie then playing a bunch of games yourself and trying to obtain material from it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I agree. Games were better. Also, he even said himself that he did 3 videos but didn't upload them because he wasn't sure if they were up to his standards. Personally I thought he was always better with video games. There's plenty of games he could do. Maybe Sonic Mania? Has he ever shown himself to be a Sonic person? Though I guess it's better if it's a shitty game.

I agree. Games were better. Also, he even said himself that he did 3 videos but didn't upload them because he wasn't sure if they were up to his standards. Personally I thought he was always better with video games. There's plenty of games he could do. Maybe Sonic Mania? Has he ever shown himself to be a Sonic person? Though I guess it's better if it's a shitty game.

IIRC I think he is not a Sonic kind of guy.

Choomp

Banned
Gave it a watch.

I think the material is actually just getting old. Also I think JonTron was just best when it was on a home video camera and he really wasn't as popular as he is now.

I know that Jon ended up a giant piece of shit, and it's a damn shame that it happened because that was one of my favorite threads before. I just thought I'd give it one last bump, for the good memories.

It sucks that people can't just be good people.

Top Bottom