• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for him, I hope it'll get back in stock tomorrow.. EVERYWHERE ON THE WORLD. And will get a pricecut the week after with a nice ambassador program for those that bought early (the DLC being free on Zelda.))

Just so he get's majorly screwed and learns a lesson about Scalping :).

Dude is probably a loser IRL and the reason he scalps is because he doesn't have what he wants in life. Anyone who does that already suffers in life.

These ebay prices seem crazy, in a bad way. Just was watching (there are over 10k switches for sale on ebay, lol) and saw a few sell for $385, $400, and $400. eBay+paypal charges 13.7% so thats $54.80 on a $400 sale. All of them had free shipping, so thats an additional $15 cost. With 8% tax, you are looking at $300+$24+15+54.80 = $393.80.

So... these guys are making like less than $10 per switch. I guess without taxes it'd be a whopping $35, but that still seems an insane risk given that all it would take is someone to claim the switch doesn't work, return back to you a box of magazines with a tracking label, and eBay will side with them and force you to refund them.

There are people who make a living flipping things for $1 or less profit each. These are probably experts who do this for a living. They make it up in volume. People wouldn't do it if it didn't pay.

Sold out online but I've seen some in a brick and mortar shop.

Dude is probably a loser IRL and the reason he scalps is because he doesn't have what he wants in life. Anyone who does that already suffers in life.

Or maybe he just wants some easy risk free money?

Jeez you guys are pathetically bitter.

Yesterday I was surprised to see it sold out at 4 diffetent Wortens (in Portugal) at 11AM but I'm sure it was because of their promo (339€ the console and Zelda). They were expecting more units soon. Fnac had quite a few though, didn't check any other stores.

TacosNSalsa

These ebay prices seem crazy, in a bad way. Just was watching (there are over 10k switches for sale on ebay, lol) and saw a few sell for $385, $400, and $400. eBay+paypal charges 13.7% so thats $54.80 on a $400 sale. All of them had free shipping, so thats an additional $15 cost. With 8% tax, you are looking at $300+$24+15+54.80 = $393.80.

So... these guys are making like less than $10 per switch. I guess without taxes it'd be a whopping $35, but that still seems an insane risk given that all it would take is someone to claim the switch doesn't work, return back to you a box of magazines with a tracking label, and eBay will side with them and force you to refund them.

That's better than some brick and mortar stores. My friend owns a store in Brooklyn and he said he makes maybe 3 dollars a console? My jaw dropped when he told me that ..

Majmun

Did people* really expected a similar craze like the Wii?

*outside of jaxapollo
gr5z1q9.gif

Gragen

Called every where I can think of in San Diego. Best Buy here even has a message as soon as the phone is answered that says Switch is sold out.

Kashiwaba

I live in a small town in northern Ontario and i can tell you no console or game has ever been sold out here around launch ever, but today i checked Best buy, eb games, walmart, toys r us and stables and all of them are out of stock.
It's either this thing is selling like hotcakes or Nintendo really undershipped.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I have two extr systems (bought them as backups, and glad I did - since my first order from Walmart got delayed till next week).

I don't want to scalp fellow gamers I'm just gonna return them, but I'll sell them to folks at cost + $20 (just for my time and security of seriousness) to anyone that wants one.

Thing is, the cost adds up quick. $300 + tax ($30) + shipping/insurance ($25) + $20 = ~$375.

Offer is out there if anyone cares. Otherwise, I'll be sending them back next week.

kooplar

Most targets and some best buys say they still have some stock on their website, but I called one of each and was told they didn't...

Looks like its worked out optimally for Nintendo. They got the good PR of selling out, yet they didnt drastically undership vs demand since consoles are affordable on ebay at $370+, scalpers only make a small profit given the ebay fee.

I'm most interested in how many switches are sold on the incredible review scores of zelda. And does that demand stick around if its hard to find $300 consoles for several months.

Hardware is nice too (apart from scratch dock), I feel like $299 is fair price for its quality and its worth buying to play zelda (+ Sestuna) .

Hastati

Standing in line at the Seattle Amazon Books store in U village, apparently they have stock. Don't open for another 40 minutes but there are a few of us lined up. Seems to be sold out most everywhere within city limits.

I have my probably unfounded suspicions that they took preorder stock and used it for treasure truck and in store purchases.

malts

Anyone have any luck in NYC today? A bunch of Targets are showing up as in stock but when I've called they say they don't have any. One store told me they will be selling them at opening tomorrow.

ponziacs

Banned
So in my area late last night only 2 or 3 Targets showed them in stock. I just checked again and now 10 in my area have them in stock. Do you think this is from scalpers returning them?

So in my area late last night only 2 or 3 Targets showed them in stock. I just checked again and now 10 in my area have them in stock. Do you think this is from scalpers returning them?
The Switch is on the front page of tomorrow's Target flyer, so I expect they need to hold a minimum quantity.

malts

I think a lot of Target stores have them but are holding them for the new Sunday ad tomorrow.

som

I inquired with 3 Target stores (in Atlanta), where the website said they were in stock.
Two of them said, they were sold out.
Third one had about 5, I walked in and got the neon version.

Apathy

Just a guess based in price, but I don't think they are in a sold out state in Canada, by I haven't checked

malts

Just called the Nintendo store in midtown - they have stock. Going to head over and try my luck this afternoon. Suspect there is a long line.

Hastati

Finally got an email from Amazon saying the shipment was delayed and stuck in purgatory, it boiled down to "lol, sowwy."

At least it's a nice day!

DSFan1970

For those that are in New York city the Nintendo store it would be your best bet they have plenty of stock but the line is long but a half hour or so to get it. And it's unusually cold today.

They ran out of the Neon SKU. Just FYI.

I witnessed the manager kick out scalpers this morning from inside the store. They were apparently very obvious scalpers to him and he refused to sell them anything. They left after that.

bachikarn

In US it is closer to Wii than WiiU. You could find WiiUs on shelves with ease right after launch. Not so with Switch.

This is a little premature. Pretty sure it was hard to find a Wii U on day one but got easier the subsequent days. Same could still be true for the Switch. I was able to walk in an get one from Target today. With the Wii, there were lines for every new batch. It was a frenzy.

I think day 1 availability is always misleading because you know get a bunch of scalpers buying stock.

Jacce

Banned
This is a little premature. Pretty sure it was hard to find a Wii U on day one but got easier the subsequent days. Same could still be true for the Switch. I was able to walk in an get one from Target today. With the Wii, there were lines for every new batch. It was a frenzy.

I think day 1 availability is always misleading because you know get a bunch of scalpers buying stock.
The white WiiU's were extremely easy to find just the very next day after launch. No one was buying those. They just say on shelves.

The Hermit

I honestly think there won't have a stock problem for now, especially since even Nintendo loyals (aka WiiU owners) are not fully on board.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
In US it is closer to Wii than WiiU. You could find WiiUs on shelves with ease right after launch. Not so with Switch.

Still need to wait and see how quickly they replenish.

I grabbed mine at 11:30am yesterday at a Fry's and they still had at least 30 in the cage at check out. I do think that was a fluke as that store is a bit out of the way and all Target's etc. were showing as sold out after 10am, but I doubt Wii's were still around much of anywhere after opening on launch day. Also lots of reports of Best Buy midnights not selling out and still having stock the next morning.

Time and sales numbers will show where demand is at and whether its lower or that they're just keeping supply up with demand better.

In any case, seems like a successful launch given the limited games and features not their yet and that's it's early March. The real key will be keeping sales going and especially selling well this holiday season when Mario is out and they're likely up against $200 PS4/X1 Slim bundles (be it official or retailer sales).

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I honestly think there won't have a stock problem for now, especially since even Nintendo loyals (aka WiiU owners) are not fully on board.

Idk... I work at the front desk for an apartment building, I have two guys in my building who bought a Switch.One bought the Wii U but said he was much more excited for Switch, and the other hadn't bought a Nintendo console since the Gamecube and said the Switch was the first one that had him excited since then.

You guys should check back at stores tomorrow morning, a lot of store will have them today (in their stockrooms) but because of ads, they won't sell it until tomorrow.

The middle of next week is when we'll find out how the stock situation is, whether good or bad.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I think its very hard to call the launch a success or not so far, because so few units were shipped at all. For instance, I live in the second biggest city of Norway, and the city center here got a total of 42 units shared between the various shops (yes, i am the sucker who went to all of them to ask about this). 30 units in the biggest shop took 7 hours to sell out, so they didnt fly off the shelves exactly.

All in all, my impression is that demand is pretty low for it here unfortunately, and definitely way lower than what it was for the PS4

BFIB

I think its very hard to call the launch a success or not so far, because so few units were shipped at all. For instance, I live in the second biggest city of Norway, and the city center here got a total of 42 units shared between the various shops (yes, i am the sucker who went to all of them to ask about this). 30 units in the biggest shop took 7 hours to sell out, so they didnt fly off the shelves exactly.

All in all, my impression is that demand is pretty low for it here unfortunately, and definitely way lower than what it was for the PS4

To be fair, the Wii U wasn't a real success on launch either. Had the launch Switch launch lineup been stronger, it would be a lot higher demand.

I think it's safe to say they'll hit their 2 million worldwide by the end of March prediction. The real question is what happens post launch and before some of the heavy hitters (Mario, Pokémon, etc) come out in the fall.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
To be fair, the Wii U wasn't a real success on launch either. Had the launch Switch launch lineup been stronger, it would be a lot higher demand.

The pricing is also a huge issue. The controllers and games are all priced way higher than comparable stuff for the PS4, and my bet is that this is the case all over Europe. And it just looks like a really bad deal when watching it side by side.

400k in November isn't very good.

as I said that was a supply problem. they could have sold more. also for a launch month it wasnt bad at all. the problems were the months after november
I think it's safe to say they'll hit their 2 million worldwide by the end of March prediction. The real question is what happens post launch and before some of the heavy hitters (Mario, Pokémon, etc) come out in the fall.

i think the next big hitter is just around the corner. mario kart 8 deluxe will do really well. dont forget that its considered the best mario kart and also its portable. also splatoon 2 will sell gangbusters in japan. way more than mario odyssey or zelda.

Oresama

Contrary to popular belief, scalpers are actually a good thing from an economic perspective.

They apply supply/demand economics to products with fixed prices and low supply.

They essentially insure a product is always available for purchase despite lack of supply from the manufacturer or lack of planning by the purchaser.

P.S. I don't like scalpers either, but I view them as a necessary evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom