• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite product designs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also, its a bit unorthodox but I have a lot of respect for the Magic: the Gathering card design:
50eej0jg4d_en.jpg

Especially compared to most other trading cards I see on the market they do a very good job of being both aesthetically pleasing and organizing and presenting a lot of information.

Nokia Lumia 800
CHpkO.jpg

This is the best looking phone ever. It's just so beautiful.
Great choice. Never have I had such an obvious "that is beautiful!!!!" reaction to phone.

But isn't the N9 still a little nicer? I think on the N9 there are less physical buttons and filler. The bar with 3 windows buttons isn't there for example.

LD1Z7.jpg

MzA8R.jpg

Dicer

Banned
THANK YOU! I cited this other member of the TurboGrafx/PC Engine family as an example of cool design in another thread, and people thought I was crazy.

UT1zp.jpg

I was gonna post that but I just love the core system, so clean compact and perfect in design

FStop7

Banned
Oh...

Oh my god.

This is going to be my favorite thread. Ever.

I love design. I love things that are well designed.

audi-r8-v10-52-fsi-engine.jpg

7377Birdview72.jpg

10341.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, I finally discovered that this field had an actual name (Industrial Design) a few months ago. I'd always been intending to do design work like this with my mechanical engineering degree, so I've been working to play up product design in my curriculum, including adding a minor in Design and considering going to grad school for Industrial Design specifically

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
OP had the Orange Box and Apple in the same post. What the heck. Is this logic?

Need I say more?

Yeah, I finally discovered that this field had an actual name (Industrial Design) a few months ago. I'd always been intending to do design work like this with my mechanical engineering degree, so I've been working to play up product design in my curriculum, including adding a minor in Design and considering going to grad school for Industrial Design specifically

I am entering the same field!

way more

Aspen Elite LED Flashlight

4140V3EYQ6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Cross Ion
Cross%20Ion%201638_774146.jpg

The Sony Ericsson 810's and similar phones
imgsony%20ericsson%20w810i4.jpg

They also had a great menu before that shit was made by the provider.

Koyono Slim Wallet.

Wallets-041609.png
images

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Great choice. Never have I had such an obvious "that is beautiful!!!!" reaction to phone.

But isn't the N9 still a little nicer? I think on the N9 there are less physical buttons and filler. The bar with 3 windows buttons isn't there for example.

I think the wp7 interface adds to the design more than MeeGo does.

I think the wp7 interface adds to the design more than MeeGo does.

Eh, in pictures the WP7 interface always pushes the sexiness of the phone itself down a notch. It's just not good looking imho.

The visual appeal from WP7 comes from the animations and fluidness of the UI, something you only experience in real life.

So, at least when it comes to pictures of the phones, I disagree with you.

Yeah, I remember looking at that in amazement back in the day, not understanding where the computer actually fit into the whole thing. :lol I love MBP's though (typing on one now);

49004__macbookproaat.jpg

10666296-macbook-pro-repair.jpg
Currently typing from this. Most beautiful laptop ever, even better than the Air IMO. And it's more functional than anything else out there. Apple hit a home run with this design.

Currently typing from this. Most beautiful laptop ever, even better than the Air IMO. And it's more functional than anything else out there. Apple hit a home run with this design.

It makes me all the more excited for the refresh this summer. I wonder how they are going to improve on that design.

jenov4

Motorola StarTAC This phone was way ahead of it's time. Mind blowing when I first saw it.

792px-MotorolaStarTAC.jpg

Nokia 8110 - Yep, the phone in the original Matrix. Mind blowing.

236784-the-matrix-1999.jpg

Super Famicom. Loved it. The US version (SNES) was definitely inferior.

800px-Super-Famicom-Console-Set.png

The PSOne. Again, mind was blown when Sony announced this. It started the tradition of upgrading and miniaturizing consoles. A trend that continues today.

800px-PSone-Console-Set-NoLCD.png

Actually, a lot of Sony's stuff is legendary. Even Steve Jobs and his goto designer Jonathan Ive was a big fan of classy Sony:

800px-SonyWalkmanFamily.JPG

Amiga 1000 baby.

704px-Amiga_1000DP.jpg

Amazing thread, I will try to think of some things to contribute... already have a few things but bit too lazy to make the post. Great thread though. Keep it coming folks!

Motorola StarTAC This phone was way ahead of it's time. Mind blowing when I first saw it.

792px-MotorolaStarTAC.jpg

Super Famicom. Loved it. The US version (SNES) was definitely inferior.

800px-Super-Famicom-Console-Set.png

The PSOne. Again, mind was blown when Sony announced this. It started the tradition of upgrading and miniaturizing consoles. A trend that continues today.

800px-PSone-Console-Set-NoLCD.png

Actually, a lot of Sony's stuff is legendary. Even Steve Jobs and his goto designer Jonathan Ive was a big fan of classy Sony:

800px-SonyWalkmanFamily.JPG

Amiga 1000 baby.

704px-Amiga_1000DP.jpg

There is a huge difference between elegant and timeless and obsolete and antiquated.

noah111

Still Alive

LD1Z7.jpg

These are pretty awesome simply due to the illusion the black bubble gives off. It makes you think that the whole black segment is the screen, giving it a slick futuristic in-line feel, even though it's only imbedded.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Looks great but due to the placement of the sticks/back touch bad it's an ergonomic nightmare.
Sticks are perfect, as long as you don't have to use them at the same time as the back pad often, which none of the games require anyway.

There is a huge difference between elegant and timeless and obsolete and antiquated.
Topic is Favorite product designs, so perhaps those are his favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom