• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

jokkir

I'll be in toronto canada for the first time on friday until sunday, where should I eat? =D

What type of food do you like?

Edit: Does anyone know if you're allowed to bring an external battery to the ACC? Going to that Hans Zimmer concert later today and my phone battery is not the greatest out there. I also brought my Switch with me :|

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I like all kinds of food, and I like trying new things =)
OP has a bunch of recommendations.

A "Toronto" thing would be bacon and peameal bacon sandwiches which you can get at Rashers or several places at St Lawrence Market. You could kind of consider a butter start a thing here too though I'm not sure we particularly claim it like we do the bacon Sammy - you can go to St Lawrence market for those too. One other place popular enough to start branching out to other cities is Burger's Priest. Maybe get a Balzac's coffee if there's one near you as well.

Otherwise, you'll find a huge of of stuff from other countries (Japan, China, Greece, France, Germany, Poland, etc).

For visitors, I'd always suggest St Lawrence Market, Distillery District, Kensington Market, and High Park area. Eaton Centre downtown also has a Uniqlo for clothing but there's a little Japan town being built up near there with Yutaka sushi, Don don Izakaya, Uncle Tetsu cheesecake, Tsujiri, gyu gyu curry, Maid Cafe, and the soon to be opened Pablo cheesetart store.

If you want high upscale, try Jacob and Co for steak, Alo for French cuisine, and Yasu for sushi. I'd avoid pretty much everything at Yorkville except for Jacques Bistro cause it's overpriced in the area and simply isn't worth the money.

Otherwise, there's a big boom in independent cafes and craft brewers right now for which you can buy a passport for each to sample various places.

We didn't have a meet up in July cause everyone is a big ass pussy when it comes to heat, but we may have one in Aug, so let us know and drop ok by.

Depending on how long you stay, there's always weird overloaded experimental foods at the CNE as well. My blood sugar still hasn't recovered...from two years ago... :'(

jcutner

What type of food do you like?

Edit: Does anyone know if you're allowed to bring an external battery to the ACC? Going to that Hans Zimmer concert later today and my phone battery is not the greatest out there. I also brought my Switch with me :|

Yeah you'll be fine with that.

dluu13

OP has a bunch of recommendations.

A "Toronto" thing would be bacon and peameal bacon sandwiches which you can get at Rashers or several places at St Lawrence Market. You could kind of consider a butter start a thing here too though I'm not sure we particularly claim it like we do the bacon Sammy - you can go to St Lawrence market for those too. One other place popular enough to start branching out to other cities is Burger's Priest. Maybe get a Balzac's coffee if there's one near you as well.

Otherwise, you'll find a huge of of stuff from other countries (Japan, China, Greece, France, Germany, Poland, etc).

For visitors, I'd always suggest St Lawrence Market, Distillery District, Kensington Market, and High Park area. Eaton Centre downtown also has a Uniqlo for clothing but there's a little Japan town being built up near there with Yutaka sushi, Don don Izakaya, Uncle Tetsu cheesecake, Tsujiri, gyu gyu curry, Maid Cafe, and the soon to be opened Pablo cheesetart store.

If you want high upscale, try Jacob and Co for steak, Alo for French cuisine, and Yasu for sushi. I'd avoid pretty much everything at Yorkville except for Jacques Bistro cause it's overpriced in the area and simply isn't worth the money.

Otherwise, there's a big boom in independent cafes and craft brewers right now for which you can buy a passport for each to sample various places.

We didn't have a meet up in July cause everyone is a big ass pussy when it comes to heat, but we may have one in Aug, so let us know and drop ok by.

Depending on how long you stay, there's always weird overloaded experimental foods at the CNE as well. My blood sugar still hasn't recovered...from two years ago... :'(

Hey I'm not afraid of heat I was just out of town!

zroid

Banned
Last week I filled out an anonymous survey and said that Wal-Mart should stop charging the $3 fee for online grocery pick-up orders

just saw on the news that they canceled the fee (in the GTA at least). you're welcome y'all.

jcutner

Last week I filled out an anonymous survey and said that Wal-Mart should stop charging the $3 fee for online grocery pick-up orders

just saw on the news that they canceled the fee (in the GTA at least). you're welcome y'all.

thank you based zroid

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

The hero we deserve...but not the one we need right now? GET BACK IN YOUR IGLOO, ZEE!

jokkir

Anyone know where I can get those asian fask masks in Toronto? Probably heading to Toronto Island some time soon and don't really want to breathe any bugs in lol (and look more asian wearing it)

Brinbe

We should go to Tilt. Went yesterday and it's pretty fun. And isn't far from Korean goodness afterwards. Just a suggestion.

gabbo

I'd rather do it on the 29th/30th actually, since im likely out of town for family related business the 25th weekend

Alright so I don't know Toronto that well.

I was wondering what are some good first date ideas around Union station.

Maybe La Carnita (simple but tasty Mexican place), which has Sweet Jesus (soft serve ice cream with a bunch of fixin's) right next store. It's on John St., so closer to St. Andrew station, but it's still like a ten minute walk from Union. Don't love Sweet Jesus (you're basically just paying for the selfie, the ice cream itself is...yeah, it's just soft serve), but undeniably a great first date stop.

Quadratic

Hey, has anyone been to Halal Guys yet? I'm hoping to drop by later to grab dinner to go. I might dine in if there isn't a massive line.

HAFEFoz.jpg

Not pictured: Brief moments where I can't see shit.

Got to Toronto around 1pm and walked around China town.

Didn't realize the place I was staying at was in a lower pent house.

Toronto is great, clean yet huge. Reminds me of Cleveland Ohio but 16-20 times larger.

Gonna go running tomorrow and will keep an eye out for fun places to check out.

Out of curiosity, any warHammer stores?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
This is a very good recommendation. Everyone should go there.

I went to Sushi Kaji last night. Incredible. I do have a soft spot for the Yasu focus on only sushi.
Yeah I prefer Yasu over Kaji myself but Kaji is good sushi with less fuss.
Switch is in stock ... DO I BUY IT?????? ARGH
Might as well if you're still pining for it >=[
Got to Toronto around 1pm and walked around China town.

Didn't realize the place I was staying at was in a lower pent house.

Toronto is great, clean yet huge. Reminds me of Cleveland Ohio but 16-20 times larger.

Gonna go running tomorrow and will keep an eye out for fun places to check out.

Out of curiosity, any warHammer stores?
I...CLEVELAND?! D: how dare you good sir or madam!
Yup, there's a Games Workshop store near Lawrence station, on Yonge and Lawrence.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Games-Workshop-Yonge-and-Lawrence
What he said.

Went out and got Korean fried chicken at the fry, was tasty and walked around Korea town.

Apologies, didn't mean for talk to talker it negatively.

Toronto is amazing, and is now my favorite city, for what little I've been here so far. Running tomorrow morning :D

dluu13

Went out and got Korean fried chicken at the fry, was tasty and walked around Korea town.

Apologies, didn't mean for talk to talker it negatively.

Toronto is amazing, and is now my favorite city, for what little I've been here so far. Running tomorrow morning :D
Don't worry about it these guys are just joking around.

Having kfc already?
Haha not only wanting to be part of the goon scrap, but also our meetups.

I'm glad you're liking it. It's too bad we didn't have a meetup while you're here.

Top Bottom