• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron's TITANIC |OT| Collide With Destiny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Will be seeing it in a LIEmax in about 5 hours. I'm excited, though I wish it was a real, large screen 70mm IMAX. Oh well..

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So there's two Titanic historical twitter accounts going and they both seem to be off on their timing. One is about 2 hours away, one just hit it 30 minutes ago....

Screwing my iceberg twitter clock up.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So much better in IMAX. The sound, the visuals... I think the digital IMAX 3D was a bit better than the Real 3D version, but I still would rather it have been in 2D.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So there's two Titanic historical twitter accounts going and they both seem to be off on their timing. One is about 2 hours away, one just hit it 30 minutes ago....

Screwing my iceberg twitter clock up.

That RealTime one is way early. Follow @RMS_Titanic_Inc

Yeah I was following TitanicRealTime and I was kind of annoyed that they were doing it based on BST time here in the UK which is considerably early. I mean, according to them it sank 26 minutes ago yet realistically the Titanic wouldn't of even hit the iceberg yet.

BBC Radio 2 was also doing a minute-by-minute account of everything, playing music that was played on the ship in the same order (thereabouts) with details about what was going on and when, and who. But again, they did it based on BST. It was interesting, especially since it lined up with the real time Twitter, but it's totally wrong time wise.

But at the same time, it did mean I could "experience" it "as it happened" as I'll very much be going to bed whilst it's happening. It's a shame that's the case, but ah well.

DrForester, love your Iceberg account though haha. Sucks that the different Twitter accounts have screwed things up for you :(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Going to play this in honor of tonight:
AqfMQk1CEAAmp11.jpg

GhaleonEB

Perfect! :lol

Just got back from seeing it with the wife and kids. I wanted to take the wife on a date, but we couldn't find a babysitter, so we just hauled them along for a second showing; neither protested.

I love this movie so much. But I think this was my last theatrical viewing; 20th time overall (17 on the initial run, 3 on the re-release), and on the anniversary of the sinking.

I'm also done watching movies in this fucking town (Saint Helens, Oregon). On both of my last viewings there were people just over my right shoulder who would not shut the fuck up for anything. Action scene? They're talking. Quiet scene? They're talking. Jack's dying? They're living it up. Last time it was a couple of kids, this time a pair of senile old ladies I very nearly got up and yelled at; my wife was holding onto my arm to keep me from getting up and confronting them. No amount of shushing did squat. Fuck you people for using theaters as your personal living room. [/rant]

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
17 times initially? Wow... I only saw it once in 1997, but I was 11 at the time so getting to the theater was a bit difficult. I've seen it 3 times in the rerelease already. Might try and go two more times :)

Oh yes, DrForester... @HistoryChannel is doing the live tweet too.

GhaleonEB

17 times initially? Wow... I only saw it once in 1997, but I was 11 at the time so getting to the theater was a bit difficult. I've seen it 3 times in the rerelease already. Might try and go two more times :)

Yeah. It came out at just the right time for me. I was out of high school one year, just starting to recover from my first break up, on my own and had money and time on hand. The film clicked with me hard and I went basically once a week for nearly the duration of its run in my town; opening night, its final showing, and in between.

I regret nothing.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

OK who's correct on the timing? I know the 11:40 was ship time. I was surprised when that first one hit, being it was the most popular one and got a lot of press, figured they'd be on top of it. The RMS Titanic one was pretty close, right?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
OK who's correct on the timing? I know the 11:40 was ship time. I was surprised when that first one hit, being it was the most popular one and got a lot of press, figured they'd be on top of it. The RMS Titanic one was pretty close, right?

RMS_Titanic_Inc should be the closest.

Bit-Bit

I need to see this again in IMAX but everyone I know is not that into Titanic. If I find a girl that loves it as much as me, I swear to GAF I'll make her mah waifu.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
There's a lot of duplicate scenes between A Night to Remember and 1997's Titanic... probably the one that gets me the most is "Aren't you willing to make a try for it, Mr. Andrews?"

So apparently there's a 4-part TV miniseries drama about Titanic airing tonight. Watching it now. Seems to be playing up the class differences with as much subtlety as Cameron and focusing more on the servants (but this is only 20 minutes in).

The Julian Fellowes miniseries. Apparently it got mixed reviews. I may just snag the Blu-ray because of my love for Downton Abbey. :p

I just saw this tweeted by the NY Daily News:

"Human remains possibly found in Titanic shipwreck"

They're images from 2004 but apparently made public for the first time. The funny thing is I came across it as I was reading Lifeboat No. 8. $2 for Kindle for the curious.

http://amzn.to/ICv7dQ

I'm not far in, but there is an interesting look at the relationships of the wireless operators in the beginning.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
There's a lot of duplicate scenes between A Night to Remember and 1997's Titanic... probably the one that gets me the most is "Aren't you willing to make a try for it, Mr. Andrews?"

Andrews was probably my favorite performance in the film. Guy was just great.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The Julian Fellowes miniseries. Apparently it got mixed reviews. I may just snag the Blu-ray because of my love for Downton Abbey. :p

I just saw this tweeted by the NY Daily News:

"Human remains possibly found in Titanic shipwreck"

They're images from 2004 but apparently made public for the first time. The funny thing is I came across it as I was reading Lifeboat No. 8. $2 for Kindle for the curious.

http://amzn.to/ICv7dQ

I'm not far in, but there is an interesting look at the relationships of the wireless operators in the beginning.

I think it's very obvious those are where a human body fell to the ocean floor. The outline of the coat and shoes make that clear. This isn't the first either... there are other published images of shoes in a "human" position found lying on the bottom.

GhaleonEB

Looks like Boxofficemojo's international total was added today. Though this weekend:

Domestic: $44,419,000
Foreign: $146,400,000

Total: $190,819,000

The reissue will comfortably top $250m, probably higher.

strafer

What I great day...

Was listening to the soundtrack when some buddies came over, they all laughed ofcourse when they heard the music but I just picked up my sunglasses and you all know the rest.

So Cameron now has 2 movies in the $2billion club? Must be lonely in there.

Saw the 3d version of this a couple of days ago. The 3D was pretty amazing for a conversion, although I thought the only parts that added anything worthwhile to the film were the hallway shots during the sinking, the increased depth adding the foreboding atmosphere.

It was about 10 years since I had seen the film so I had forgotten large chunks of it so ti was great to rediscover it on the big screen. I still really love this movie. The drama of the sinking is still so good that I can easily forgive the clumsy dialogue in the 1st half. I think it's brilliant how Cameron uses Jack and Rose to take the audience on a tour of the ship as it goes down. Also, the new sky was pretty cool. Wonder if Tyson has seen it?

Osietra

Banned
I think one of the most intense facts I know about the titanic was that it sunk in less than three hours.
It takes me at least one bottle of wine, and several glasses of Gin, drunk slowly.
That probably takes me 2 hrs, of drinking. Then I have to make sure the girl I love has had a proper shower, then I do.

But when I do go down, it's so musky. And I gag.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I think one of the most intense facts I know about the titanic was that it sunk in less than three hours.
It takes me at least one bottle of wine, and several glasses of Gin, drunk slowly.
That probably takes me 2 hrs, of drinking. Then I have to make sure the girl I love has had a proper shower, then I do.

But when I do go down, it's so musky. And I gag.

What the fuck?

Solo

Just got in from seeing it. Had purposely held off until the anniversary of the sinking before seeing it. Before the movie started, an usher actually walked to the front and informed those not in the know that today was the 100th anniversary, which was kind of neat. I hadn't watched the movie since a few years after it's release. Probably around 2000 was the last time I saw it, so in many ways, this was a fresh experience for me.

Great movie. All of it. I don't subscribe to this tale-of-two-halfs stuff going around. Like all Cameron movies, the dialogue is pretty basic and cliche, but I still feel he does a great job carving out characters. I loved the smaller love story in the first half and was blown away by the spectacle in the second half. There are some incredibly emotionally affecting scenes in this movie that blow away anything Cameron has done before or since. His direction was really in top form here. By the time it got to that final scene with the applause, I felt like I had run the gauntlet of emotion from awe to funny to touching to sad to uplifting. I definitely loved it a lot more than I did when I first saw it 15 years ago.

Just got in from seeing it. Had purposely held off until the anniversary of the sinking before seeing it. Before the movie started, an usher actually walked to the front and informed those not in the know that today was the 100th anniversary, which was kind of neat. I hadn't watched the movie since a few years after it's release. Probably around 2000 was the last time I saw it, so in many ways, this was a fresh experience for me.

Great movie. All of it. I don't subscribe to this tale-of-two-halfs stuff going around. Like all Cameron movies, the dialogue is pretty basic and cliche, but I still feel he does a great job carving out characters. I loved the smaller love story in the first half and was blown away by the spectacle in the second half. There are some incredibly emotionally affecting scenes in this movie that blow away anything Cameron has done before or since. His direction was really in top form here. By the time it got to that final scene with the applause, I felt like I had run the gauntlet of emotion from awe to funny to touching to sad to uplifting. I definitely loved it a lot more than I did when I first saw it 15 years ago.

Good man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwfnoSBLXkw#t=1m17s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom