• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are you more worried about yourself or about the platform owner? posts like this are always so strange.

Worrying about the platform holder is worrying about yourself by extension if you like the content they produce. You want them to succeed so that they can continue to produce content that you enjoy.

Doc_Drop

A lot of these exclusives target a more niche audience than multiplatform games and they tend to take a little bit more risk than the average AAA game. We would lose those if platform holders decided to stop making those games.
Thank you

Targeted artistic and creative effort is not possible when producing for all. Hence multiplats often being the most risk averse (outside of indy multiplats)

Purest 78

Are you more worried about yourself or about the platform owner? posts like this are always so strange.

I don't understand what is strange about it, Sony exclusives are why a play on ps4. If all Sony games went to PC I'd buy a PC in a heartbeat. Play all Multiplats and Sony games at there best is a win-win situation.

Keinning

Targeted artistic and creative effort is not possible when producing for all.

This is insane. I don't even know how to respond this. You even gave the example of indies right after.

Specially when most AAA exclusives people can think of are as safe as they can be. Tell me all about the risks games like Uncharted and Halo are taking.

Doc_Drop

This is insane. I don't even know how to respond this.
By that I mean a great deal of the largest multiplat franchises are often made by committee. I'm being hyperbolic I know. But wishing for a world without USP content is ridiculously naïve

Edit: I think you need to think back to the inception of these games rather than the 4th or 5th iteration

I get the point of exclusives, i just don't agree with them. Cinema and videogames wouldn't die without netflix or sony/microsoft spending billions to do their own things. Would rather have that money invested on the platforms themselves and their services. A game does not lose value if it reaches several platforms instead of just one.

You want the developers to become their own publishers or dramatically increase the amount of franchises the current group of publishers deal with?

jayu26

There are couple of arguments I have read in this thread that I have huge problems with.

First, that the narrative that there was ever a point where PS4's software offering was anaemic compare to Xbox One. That is bullshit and I can't believe it has stuck and some people actually believe it. PS4's software library was always bigger. (And more critically acclaimed in terms metacritic, but who pays attention to that?) There might have been a time during late 2014 and early 2015, when Xbox had couple of more retail games on shelves. But in terms of just raw software numbers PS4 was always way ahead. There is reason "indies and Japanese games don't count" became a meme.

Second, exclusives don't matter in terms of sales. Again bullshit. PS4 is enjoying it's best couple quarters and is actually up year over year in NPD because of the onslaught of exclusives. Many people have been surprised by this because they thought 2016 would be the pick year. Meanwhile Xbox seems to be down despite a very good reception of One S. Both are getting same third party support, the Japanese and first party games on PS4 however is clearly making the difference. (Except for last month where it was the tacky looking gold PS4 and a pretty good deal that made the difference.)

Mezoly

This is insane. I don't even know how to respond this. You even gave the example of indies right after.

Specially when most AAA exclusives people can think of are as safe as they can be. Tell me all about the risks games like Uncharted and Halo are taking.

Right now those franchises are coasting, but when Halo started there weren't any successful console fps and it invented/popularized a bunch of stuff. Same with Uncharted, it popularized cinematic games and took them to the next level.

Second, exclusives don't matter in terms of sales. Again bullshit. PS4 is enjoying it's best couple quarters and is actually up year over year in NPD because of the onslaught of exclusives. Many people have been surprised by this because they thought 2016 would be the pick year. Meanwhile Xbox seems to be down despite a very good reception of One S. Both are getting same third party support, the Japanese and first party games on PS4 however is clearly making the difference. (Except for last month where it was the tacky looking gold PS4 and a pretty good deal that made the difference.)

I think your exaggerating a bit or being hyperbolic. Ps4 is selling more 3rd party games as well as the exclusives so it's difficult to say exclusives are the for certain the reason it up year over year in Npd. Also they are not getting the same 3rd party support at all. All of that to say I agree exclusives do matter in terms of sales just not as much as 3rd party games.

jayu26

I think your exaggerating a bit or being hyperbolic. Ps4 is selling more 3rd party games as well as the exclusives so it's difficult to say exclusives are the for certain the reason it up year over year in Npd. Also they are not getting the same 3rd party support at all. All of that to say I agree exclusives do matter in terms of sales just not as much as 3rd party games.

Never did I claim otherwise. But I do believe that PS4 is up year or year because of library that is powered by exclusives.

It's not just the AAA games either. Stuff like Pyre and Hellblade just don't seem to be coming to the Xbox right now. Hopefully Microsoft's E3 means that will start changing, but probably not until 2018. In the meantime, looking forward to Cuphead.

MS doesn't need exclusives... they are putting a ton of stock into cross play with win10. Why isolate titles to a single platform when they can improve their market share through crossplay?

It's amazing how people are shitting on a lack of exclusives when Cross play has actually proven to be moderately successful for MS from a business standpoint in that it's actually encouraging more titles that can only be played on Win 10 AND XB1.

Humdinger

MS doesn't need exclusives... they are putting a ton of stock into cross play with win10. Why isolate titles to a single platform when they can improve their market share through crossplay?

It's amazing how people are shitting on a lack of exclusives when Cross play has actually proven to be moderately successful for MS from a business standpoint in that it's actually encouraging more titles that can only be played on Win 10 AND XB1.

When people say "MS needs exclusives," they're generally talking about console exclusivity. I think most people understand that all MS games are appearing on PC as well. So it's a given that they won't have any "complete" exclusives going forward.

But what they need (and still need, regardless of crossplay) is console exclusives -- games that appear on Xbox but not on other consoles.

For the life of me I will never understand why Microsoft seems content of making such a fuss at E3 like it's the only event that matters for any real surpises but fails to give any real reason why they are there to begin with. If all they are doing is pushing third party titles for the publisher what's the point when your own studios pale in comparison in both quality and and a steady stream of titles throughout the year?

JusDoIt

We tend to get hung up on the word "exclusives," but Xbox One needs a larger and more varied library period. The console with the better library always wins. Exclusives are just a part of that. Xbox needs to put less stock into tentpole blockbusters and just put every great game they can on their platform regardless of where it comes from.

Vinc

No one, but the purpose of exclusives aren't to sell all exclusives to all gamers. Exclusives are how you capture the margins.

An example: Dark Souls has become a multi-million seller multi-platform game. It was always going to hit both XB1 and PS4 this generation. So Sony beats DS3s' release with Bloodborne, swaying the vast majority of Souls fans toward the PS4.

They then capitalize on it a few years later by working with Tecmo Koei to distribute Nioh worldwide after DS3 is out to further reinforce that if you're a Souls fan the PS4 is where you want to live.

JRPGs - FFXV was going to be on both, and likely PC eventually, but Sony also has Persona 5, Nier, and Ni No Kuni II on the way not to mention other even more fringe exclusives. So JRPG fans aren't even going to look at XB1.

As Sony kept racking up these kinds of marginal advantages both hardware sales and 3rd party sales ratios slanted massively in their favor, to the point now where many of their 2017 third party exclusives weren't even subsidized in a meaningful way, the PS4 is just the default choice and for more and more games supporting Xbox One requires some level of financial merit testing.

Microsoft did something similar with the X360 last generation, cornering the shooter market early thanks to Halo and Gears. At that point even things like competitive CoD were X360 focused. MS just simply let themselves get boxed out nearly across the board by Sony this generation.

I've said it about a dozen times in similar threads. The biggest difference between Sony and MS on first party titles, other than Sony simply having a far larger first party stable, is timing.

MS loads up on the holiday window when every big 3rd party release is already hitting. As a result everything but their headliner titles get drowned out.

Last generation Sony committed hard to a spring, summer, and early fall release focus of their first party titles, getting out of the way of the big holiday 3rd party blitz entirely, and it has paid off amazingly well.

Their first party titles are selling better, especially the more niche ones, they keep interest levels in the platform up year round, and the big early year releases make great bundle fodder for the holidays.

It's simply a superior strategy. The fact that it is teamed with a broader first party stable is just compounding the advantage.

You nailed it. I would also add that Microsoft's current strategy worries me for their next gen too. They are woefully unprepared for a generational refresh in the next 2 or 3 years. If you look at past consoles that found success after a rough previous gen, you can see that their predecessors usually gained momentum and made waves late in the previous gen. OG Xbox hit its stride leading into the 360 with games like Halo 2, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Doom 3, Conker, and the GTA ports. The PS3 did the same with strong exclusives hitting hard towards the end of the gen. And even with the Wii U Nintendo at least tried to delight customers who bought it in order to retain these people with the Switch. As an Xbox fan since the original, I've never been less invested in or more pessimistic about that ecosystem. I simply do not understand their strategy, nor do I see the appeal of the system. I'm just... Gone. They've lost me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
First, that the narrative that there was ever a point where PS4's software offering was anaemic compare to Xbox One. That is bullshit and I can't believe it has stuck and some people actually believe it. PS4's software library was always bigger. (And more critically acclaimed in terms metacritic, but who pays attention to that?) There might have been a time during late 2014 and early 2015, when Xbox had couple of more retail games on shelves. But in terms of just raw software numbers PS4 was always way ahead. There is reason "indies and Japanese games don't count" became a meme.

While I bought a PS4 at launch, the Xbox had a bigger and better overall lineup. As I recall Xbox had Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, and Forza 5 at launch, along with the same third party titles as PS4. In the beginning there was a lot of jabs being thrown by Xbox fans claiming Sony didn't do enough to secure games the way Microsoft did.

We tend to get hung up on the word "exclusives," but Xbox One needs a larger and more varied library period. The console with the better library always wins. Exclusives are just a part of that. Xbox needs to put less stock into tentpole blockbusters and just put every great game they can on their platform regardless of where it comes from.

Exclusives are what separates one library from another, and generally the main reason we choose to purchase one particular console over another.

MS still needs to sell consoles if they want growth for whatever other metric they're interested in now.
Yes and it's selling, they already react to the YOY decline, it's called price cut, or you think MS is running by wizard that can develop a new game in a month or rush a game that from planned fall release to summer release?

Oh and for MS they're planning generation less consoles after One X, it's fine if anyone think this plan sucks and don't buy it, in fact we don't know will it works or not, but that's the route they're going to do, and they prepared for it, and i think it still won't comes with many exclusives, so why don't abandoning your hope, stop caring Xbox and just enjoy other platforms.

wapplew

For all the flak MS first party get for milking Halo and Gears, there are only 1 mainline Halo and Gears this gen.
Sony will get 2 Uncharted and 2 Knack soon, just saying.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For all the flak MS first party get for milking Halo and Gears, there are only 1 mainline Halo and Gears this gen.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Halo 6 in late 2019 and Gears 5 in late 2020 which would then even it out.

Ascenion

MS has also released 5 Forza titles this gen as well. Milking is still happening, just a different cow.

RPGam3r

I would like to see another Banjo game (even more so a Nuts and Bolts sequel), or for them to come out with another Fable.

Its weird that they've kind of hit a rut with Halo, Gears and Forza being the extent of their dev talent on larger titles.

As someone coming back with the Xbox One X I really hope they deliver more larger risk titles.

How to spin a lack of first party output as a positive.

Well done, hope the check's in the mail.

jayu26

While I bought a PS4 at launch, the Xbox had a bigger and better overall lineup. As I recall Xbox had Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, and Forza 5 at launch, along with the same third party titles as PS4. In the beginning there was a lot of jabs being thrown by Xbox fans claiming Sony didn't do enough to secure games the way Microsoft did.

Like I said, in terms of raw software library PS4 was always ahead. Anyone who claimed otherwise came to that conclusion by disregarding plethora of indie download only games. At launch PS4 retail exclusives were Killzone and Knack. That is one less than Xbox in a year where Sony unlike their counter part was still releasing and supporting their last gen console. Also, DriveClub was suppose to be launch game, but something obviously went catastrophically wrong there. Again, Xbox One might have had couple of more retail games at a given time, but PS4 always had way bigger over all library.

In fact, you might remember how many people (and "journalists") were surprised by the lack of indies on Xbox, specially coming off of 360.

I know that being obtuse is your thing wapplew, but the point has always been to let those studios make something other than Halo and Gears between another entry in ten-pole franchise. ND gets to work on both Last of Us and Uncharted. Japan studios has multiple projects running at the same time. They released one earlier this year called Gravity Rush 2.

pastrami

Did you know that Knack 1 is older than Gears of War 4 and Halo 5 combined? I'm not sure why you are comparing them.

I'll give you Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, but that game was spun out of DLC that grew beyond the scope of DLC. It's not a sequel, and it's not full priced either.

bede-x

This generation up till now Microsoft has released Halo Wars 2, Halo 5 and Halo MCC (and technically Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike, but let's just leave smaller releases out). In the same timeframe there's been two Uncharted releases and one Knack.

And Naughty Dog and Sony's Japan studio are not single franchise factories. They are allowed to make other games. It's not unlikely that ND will take a break from Uncharted after LL this month and they did The Last of Us at the end of last generation, while 343 was doing Halo as always.

The way they run their franchises and studios is not remotely comparable.

JusDoIt

Exclusives are what separates one library from another, and generally the main reason we choose to purchase one particular console over another.

I think that's reductive. Exclusives are important, but there aren't the only key to distinguishing platforms, because there are plenty multiplatform games that aren't on all platforms. And those games add up. PS4 has been snatching up games that appear on PC and Nintendo consoles. Lots of indies, Japanese games, and mid size games that could easily have appeared on Xbox, but they don't, for whatever reason. Few of these titles are "system sellers," but they move the needle if somebody is already considering the console for one game.

Xbox used to be great at building out their library this
way, especially in the early days of XBLA on 360.

One of the two things you compare here is a major USP, the other one, however, isn't. MS had good reasons to introduce cross play, turning the ship around in terms of Xbox sales wasn't one of them.

My own take on exclusives is quite simple:

Multiplats are so called "dissatisfiers". They are what players expect. It doesn't make them happier if they are available, just dissatisfied if they are not. See exhibit A) Nintendo.

Exclusives however are "motivators". They maybe not as important as some major 3rd party IPs like FIFA, CoD or GTA when it comes to moving consoles in general , but they really matter when it comes to actually choosing a platform.

And I for one believe that the upcoming 12 months will show that they are a much more important sales driver than offering the technically most enhanced platform to play multiplats.

Ploid 3.0

It's weird that I haven't thought about Xbox lately. Though everything seems to be Switch and PS4 in news. Scorpio is even thrown around as a punchline to things. Even when the Minecraft thing comes up I forget about Xbox because it's all about PS4.

Multiplats are so called "dissatisfiers". They are what players expect. It doesn't make them happier if they are available, just dissatisfied if they are not. See exhibit A) Nintendo.

Exclusives however are "motivators". They maybe not as important as some major 3rd party IPs like FIFA, CoD or GTA when it comes to moving consoles in general , but they really matter when it comes to actually choosing a platform.

And I for one believe that the upcoming 12 months will show that they are a much more important sales driver than offering the technically most enhanced platform to play multiplats.

This is a pretty good way of laying it out.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Numbers do nothing but satisfy list wars. They don't need more. They need better quality, more marketable games - that's what they should be working on, not just padding out the year with exclusives.

Numbers do nothing but satisfy list wars. They don't need more. They need better quality, more marketable games - that's what they should be working on, not just padding out the year with exclusives.
But releasing more games increases the odds of having more high quality games.

No games is no games.

GHG

Gold Member
No one, but the purpose of exclusives aren't to sell all exclusives to all gamers. Exclusives are how you capture the margins.

An example: Dark Souls has become a multi-million seller multi-platform game. It was always going to hit both XB1 and PS4 this generation. So Sony beats DS3s' release with Bloodborne, swaying the vast majority of Souls fans toward the PS4.

They then capitalize on it a few years later by working with Tecmo Koei to distribute Nioh worldwide after DS3 is out to further reinforce that if you're a Souls fan the PS4 is where you want to live.

JRPGs - FFXV was going to be on both, and likely PC eventually, but Sony also has Persona 5, Nier, and Ni No Kuni II on the way not to mention other even more fringe exclusives. So JRPG fans aren't even going to look at XB1.

As Sony kept racking up these kinds of marginal advantages both hardware sales and 3rd party sales ratios slanted massively in their favor, to the point now where many of their 2017 third party exclusives weren't even subsidized in a meaningful way, the PS4 is just the default choice and for more and more games supporting Xbox One requires some level of financial merit testing.

Microsoft did something similar with the X360 last generation, cornering the shooter market early thanks to Halo and Gears. At that point even things like competitive CoD were X360 focused. MS just simply let themselves get boxed out nearly across the board by Sony this generation.

I've said it about a dozen times in similar threads. The biggest difference between Sony and MS on first party titles, other than Sony simply having a far larger first party stable, is timing.

MS loads up on the holiday window when every big 3rd party release is already hitting. As a result everything but their headliner titles get drowned out.

Last generation Sony committed hard to a spring, summer, and early fall release focus of their first party titles, getting out of the way of the big holiday 3rd party blitz entirely, and it has paid off amazingly well.

Their first party titles are selling better, especially the more niche ones, they keep interest levels in the platform up year round, and the big early year releases make great bundle fodder for the holidays.

It's simply a superior strategy. The fact that it is teamed with a broader first party stable is just compounding the advantage.

This post should be stickied to the top of every page in this thread.

When it comes to exclusives, they actually need to focus on both quantity and quality.

Sadly, this what comes to customer perception when they are asked about Xbox exclusives: [Halo, Forza, Gears, repeat].

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Needs more exclusives and should also actively try to reduce their ratio of shooters and racing games.

The xbox library is littered with that stuff. It needs to be limited. Xbox should try to go for other types of games. RPGs, action adventure, story heavy. And no, showing a whole bunch of mid tier indy games doesn't cut it.

jviggy43

Honestly halo used to be a franchise that would be enough to warrant an Xbox purchase from me. That isn't the case any longer. Cuphead looks incredible tho and is easily my most anticipated game for the rest of 2017.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
One of the two things you compare here is a major USP, the other one, however, isn't. MS had good reasons to introduce cross play, turning the ship around in terms of Xbox sales wasn't one of them.

Absolutely.
And these exclusives shouldn't bs shooters,racers or sports games.

Theorry

Needs more exclusives and should also actively try to reduce their ratio of shooters and racing games.

The xbox library is littered with that stuff. It needs to be limited. Xbox should try to go for other types of games. RPGs, action adventure, story heavy. And no, showing a whole bunch of mid tier indy games doesn't cut it.

This is not the case at all.

Sea of Thieves a open world MMO game
State of Decay a open world survival game
Cuphead. Unique looking platformer
Tacoma. Exploration game
Halo Wars 2. A freakin RTS on console

Then we have Crackdown and Forza wich are indeed a shooter and a racing game.

This is not the case at all.

Sea of Thieves a open world MMO game
State of Decay a open world survival game
Cuphead. Unique looking platformer
Tacoma. Exploration game
Halo Wars 2. A freakin RTS on console

Then we have Crackdown and Forza wich are indeed a shooter and a racing game.

It's kind of amazing that people ignore this and continue to say that they aren't diversifying their portfolio, usually batted off by saying, "well I'm not interested in those games", "they're niche".

Like I said, in terms of raw software library PS4 was always ahead. Anyone who claimed otherwise came to that conclusion by disregarding plethora of indie download only games. At launch PS4 retail exclusives were Killzone and Knack. That is one less than Xbox in a year where Sony unlike their counter part was still releasing and supporting their last gen console. Also, DriveClub was suppose to be launch game, but something obviously went catastrophically wrong there. Again, Xbox One might have had couple of more retail games at a given time, but PS4 always had way bigger over all library.

In fact, you might remember how many people (and "journalists") were surprised by the lack of indies on Xbox, specially coming off of 360.

If you're just talking first party then I think this is accurate:

https://twitter.com/Triggerhappytel/status/872171075542667265?s=09

MS had a very strong launch with the Xbone but the number of games they've published has got slimmer each year while Sony has been increasing. Although that's not including third party exclusives or indies.

3rd parties help get people to jump in on the current console generation.

And when libraries are similar, exclusives help those newcomers decide where to play.

I think that's mostly what's happening this gen. Console gamers saw the slow down of Xbox exclusives starting mid gen of the 360, while seeing Sony's constant stream of 1st and 3rd party exclusives from mid PS3 to current. Plus, they know Sony 1st parties will only show up on playstations.

I was pswii60 by the end of last gen. I'm only PS4 so far. I'll get a Switch for its exclusives when I can finally get my hands on the thing. But right now, the number of Xbox exclusives aren't enough for me to make a purchase yet.

The original xbox had enough to get me on board (sega exclusives to ease my pain after the dreamcast was killed), as did the 360 (cave games, hydro thunder, treasure games, virtual on force, a couple of half decent rare games).

With the xbox one, I feel like they just completely went for the market of online gaming dudebros without a pc and they have pretty much completely lost me. I have zero interest in getting an xbox one or scorpio.

Even if they weren't releasing all their games on pc (haven't bought any), I wouldn't be interested in the xbox one.

Sony have PSVR and Japanese games to keep me interested. Mainly psvr. Microsoft don't think vr is interesting, but somehow think 4k is.

Microsoft have absolutely nothing of interest to me.
I don't know anything about industry people. Is Phil Spencer a big believer in the power of first and third person shooters and forza alone to sell a console to anyone other than a certain demographic?
That is xbox exclusives to me. A couple of games where you shoot people with guns, a realistic game where you drive a car and a game where you drive a car with less realistic (but not sufficiently arcade for my tastes) handling.

And cuphead. That looks good :)

Ushay

I have mixed feelings on this view. For the next year I think their library looks great in terms of diversity, especially considering their One X console will play games best.

But I also agree with a post Bitch Pudding made earlier about dissatisfied and motivator software, they do indeed add value, Nintendo being the biggest and best example of this.

While I think games like State of Decay 2 look great and I personally will be getting them, the range and quality of games needs a serious uplift for the coming years and the next wave of hardware innovations. If I was calling the shots, outside of the core franchises, I'd be focussed on RPGs, adventure and narrative heavy games.

bigjig

It's kind of amazing that people ignore this and continue to say that they aren't diversifying their portfolio, usually batted off by saying, "well I'm not interested in those games", "they're niche".

I don't get it, is the list he wrote up meant to be impressive? You can count the number of games listed on a single hand, for games released over a period spanning a year and a half. You look at gaps of six months or more without a notable exclusive (AAA or indie) and think that's good?

madmackem

The uncharted game is a standalone game with different characters so it's hardly a mainline uncharted, it's almost like counting halo wars as a halo game so there's been two halo games so far ohh and a halo collection so three halo games so far.

Top Bottom