• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Give me a reason why Darth Vader isn't the coolest villain ever

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
tumblr_oli1xeO7QJ1rn2chmo2_500.gif

Because he's not Dio

tumblr_oaqudtaUPQ1rn2chmo1_540.gif

Or kira

Can someone identify which anime these characters are from? I'm guessing either Evangellion, Dragon Ball Z, or Astro boy?

He has a cool design/voice and demeanor, good presentation. Aside from that he is more a victim of a bigger baddy. Which makes him a sad character.

That's not the worst way of displaying a villain, not my favorite but also not bad.

Jumeira

Banned
Anakin was awesome, Darth was spectacular. Kids love him, he's certainly the most famous villian of modern times and well loved.

Unit24

All these anime and comic book dorks reveling in the presence of a true icon. even his random lines are more inscribed in pop culture than most other characters. I'd say only the joker is comparable.

Coolness isn't something you can establish over long arcs with things like motivations and power levels. It's conveyed in a single moment and that moment is Darth Vader stepping over dead bodies casually taking control of a ship. It's about the design combined with the moment. It's the same reason Boba Fett is cool. He looks fuckin sick and he gets a callout from Darth Vader. That's all you need. It's clearly difficult for nerds to understand cool, having never experienced it and why random comic and anime villains get suggested as answers, but regular people get it which is why Darth Vader is instantly recognizable around the world.

I genuinely can't tell if this post is supposed to be serious. I hope not, because the concept of "if it's not considered iconic, it must not be as good" is absurd.

Vader will always be the coolest villain. I would say Darth Malgus is right up there with him though. Also if we're talking about villains from any form of media... Kefka, Sephiroth, Bowser, etc

Disney casts Vader as the Santa of their annual Christmas parade.

That's pretty fucking lame for someone who used to kill people by the billion for reasons as petty as pissing off a princess.

Hex

Banned
While I am a Vader mark, he wussed out at the end and went back to the light thus removing him from running.

Edit: all of these anime posts as if they are even in Vader's league

Edit: all of these anime posts as if they are even in Vader's league

Oh look, another clueless person who hasn't read Berserk. Stop saying things you clearly have no idea about.

Griffith/Femto is one of the most fleshed-out, layered and well written villains in fiction. Vader might be more popular, but he's far from the best/coolest.

casiopao

Nope. Vader is just a lame dude failing on many of his things lol.

images

Hermes from Arslan Senki is one of my favorite villain for sure.

images

Sato from Ajin had also been killing literally every scene he pop out. The most badass uncle right now too.

ktflexx

Neo Member
Heath Ledger as Joker > Darth Vader

And I've to say this as a big Star Wars fan. Heath Ledgers performance and understanding as batmans main villain is still outstanding and stands completely alone.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The comics portray Darth Vader in a better way than the movies in my opinion, he actually gets shit done himself.

f7a0400246296d5001590299754ed991.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
I like how he
flooded and murdered a whole city
in the newest comic.

Dude is cold blooded.

Bishop89

i said this in the other thread, but Vader being an 'enforcer' type character instead of the big bad is actually more bad ass.

The answer to every anime villain.

4bUV7Ls.gif

you know the thread is asking for the coolest villain ever right? not coolest villain that is widely known.
if this was asking who is the most iconic villain then hell yeah Vader would clean up, but as it stands you kinda need to make actual arguments, reveling in your own ignorance doesn't help you.

casiopao

And whats funny with all Darth Vader so called bad ass, he rarely had any bad ass scenes in the past except for some comic which no one cares and the recent Rouge one Scenes lol.

Decider

Oh look, another clueless person who hasn't read Berserk. Stop saying things you clearly have no idea about.

Griffith/Femto is one of the most fleshed-out, layered and well written villains in fiction. Vader might be more popular, but he's far from the best/coolest.

you know the thread is asking for the coolest villain ever right? not coolest villain that is widely known.
if this was asking who is the most iconic villain then hell yeah Vader would clean up, but as it stands you kinda need to make actual arguments, reveling in your own ignorance doesn't help you.

I'm not even a huge Vader fan but it's fun to watch animé fans squirm in this thread.

Keasar

The prequels ruined what was cool about him when you now know he was an annoying kid, an annoying teen, an annoying young-adult and a annoying adult.

Then there are villains like The Joker from The Dark Knight, Ozymandias from Watchmen, The Smiler from Transmetropolitan whom make way better villains than Vader who was more of a tool, an extension of someone else (Palpatine). Darth Vader is essentially the same cool as Bobba Fett because people thought he looked good in costume. He does have cool moments, like the one in Rouge One.

My personal favourite for one of the coolest villains ever is Gaunter O'Dimm from the The Witcher 3.
Look at him.
He looks pretty unassuming doesn't he? Nothing special to him, no cool gadgets, no masks or special outfits, he looks like a regular tosser especially in this picture now wearing a crown of flowers. And that is the fuckin' beauty of him. He is probably one of the most horrifying people you'll ever face and that is how you make a cool and awesome villain.

Vader is a bit shit, to be honest. He looks kind of silly and he has about as much depth to him as the cardboard of the cereal boxes he appears on. He's more popular than he is feared. He's a whiny brat with a bucket on his head.

I'm not even a huge Vader fan but it's fun to watch animé fans squirm in this thread.

The amount of ignorance in this thread is hilarious. Who's squirming? And I'm not even talking about anime to begin with.

Do yourself a favour and actually read Berserk before making yourself look silly in this thread.

Why people are talking down characters they don't even know anything about is beyond me.

Top Bottom