• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 Samsung JU7500 series software update enables HDR - Just FYI :)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Hi all!

There was a not-very-well-circulated news article a few months ago that Samsung was going to be doing a software update on some of its flagship 2015 TVs to enable HDR. A few weeks ago, a software update finally hit my TV ... but I couldn't seem to find any way to enable HDR - my Xbox One S had a lot of red Xs in the settings.

Turns out, it's just hidden in the options.

If you go to MENU -> Picture Options -> Advanced -> ENABLE UHD COLOR -> select the appropriate HDMI port, the TV will restart and sure enough, HDR is enabled!

Now, do I think this is comparable to HDR10 or Dolby Vision native sets that were built around HDR? Absolutely not. But in Forza, at least, there is absolutely a small but noticeable difference when driving into the sun, coming out of dark tunnels, and when there's a contrast between the water, sky, and sand.

Input lag is definitely higher - but I am very easily distracted by input lag; it's the whole reason I purchased a 40JU7500 - widely regarded as one of the best 4K TVs for video games, period. I'm sure many else bought this TV, too, based on the reviews at rtings.com; so I wanted to make sure to throw this PSA out there.

Banditscout

Neo Member
I also have this TV and discovered this setting last night! I was shocked and thrilled! I don't have device that supports HDR content at the moment, but I'll be picking up a PS4 Pro next month for sure.

kjacobson

Neo Member
I have a JU7500 as well and I keep wondering if there's more to enable to get the most out of HDR.

Such as - should I set the input type from "Game" to "PC" or the like, should I look into LED brightness settings, or even is the color settings appropriate and should be modified for HDR.

It's fortunate that the JU7500 was able to receive HDR support, but unfortunate that it came after a time that most people reviewing and looking at the television were already done with it - so it seems a lot of the best settings to get the absolute most out of HDR on what is likely an 8-bit display will be trial and error.

In my testing with Forza Horizon 3 though - I think the only difference I was able to see is with how bright the headlights of cars got and occasionally the sun when it was shining through, but the rest of the game world did not look what I would consider "vivid" by any means. The difference on this TV was negligible, but still cool to be able to take part in the HDR phenomenon happening, even though I think I'm missing out on what really makes HDR great.

Edit: before anyone asks and just to verify I have enabled UHD color on the HDMI port and have all the green checks for HDR support - so it is indeed enabled!

Ogawa-san

That couldn't have been part of an update, because my JU6500 had it since the day I got it. It's the option that I have to use so it looks right when using it as a PC display.

kjacobson

Neo Member
That couldn't have been part of an update, because my JU6500 had it since the day I got it. It's the option that I have to use so it looks right when using it as a PC display.

Yeah I'm just not sure if the consoles have extended color support/etc in 4:4:4 mode as opposed to 4:2:2 with HDR enabled. Maybe not. Yes those features have been present on my JU7500 since day one, but the HDR firmware came to my JU7500 couple of months back (I manually flashed firmware from the Samsung website).

I guess what I was trying to get across, is that HDR enabled on my JU7500 really didn't make that big of a difference, and I was curious if there was any additional settings I should look into to get the absolute most out of my TV / Console combo. Another thing I wasn't completely sure about was the RGB mode (Full/Limited/Automatic - etc) and how to validate what the JU7500 was set at, so I can match it appropriately on the consoles, as well as ideally have it set to "Full" on both.

kjacobson

Neo Member
I came across this thread today with some good information on RGB Full/Limited, 4:4:4/4:2:2 - which to be honest I don't full know or understand the benefits of using 4:4:4 on a console or if it's even supported. It seems the main point is to make sure RGB is matching on each end at the very least - but one blog I found basically said to use RGB Limited pretty much every time on TVs.

See the forum post I was referring to here: https://hardforum.com/threads/2015-samsung-4k-tv-as-a-monitor-set-up-guide.1869675/

UN55JS7000FXZA this is the model I have. Is it HDR compatible? I hope it is, the set was like 1200 bucks. I see that I have UHD color on, is that the same thing as HDR?

Arc07

Wait does that mean JU6700s have it as well?

edit: just enabled it :O

This still isn't a 10 Bit Panel so yes it can accept the signal via HDMI 2.1a but it is not truly HDR.

Trust me, I was confused by this update as well and disappointed when I realized it just an 8-Bit panel.

As someone else stated you'll notice brighter lights etc, but the gradients are still not HDR.

zoobzone

I also have a JU7500 but I don't see the option to turn on HDR anywhere with the latest firmware updates.

I'm sure the UHD color option has been there since day 1 when I got the TV in September.

AR15mex

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but I have this model as well. So a couple of days ago, after almost 6 months of not playing PS4, I decided to hook up my PS4 and play finally play Horizon, I went into Picture Options and enabled UHD Color, and also activated the HDR option on the game. The problem is that game's dark colors, look way too dark and makes difficult to play.

I wanted to know if someone knows a proper setup with this pseudo HDR option.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I'm sorry to bump this thread, but I have this model as well. So a couple of days ago, after almost 6 months of not playing PS4, I decided to hook up my PS4 and play finally play Horizon, I went into Picture Options and enabled UHD Color, and also activated the HDR option on the game. The problem is that game's dark colors, look way too dark and makes difficult to play.

Set your backlight to 20. It doesn’t automatically do it m, like other modes. That is what my KS8500 is like. Should work for you.

Soriku

Is your PS4 on limited or full? Might need to adjust the black level on your TV. Also turn up backlight, contrast.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
People wonder why no one has a clue what HDR is ?
Well this shit is the reason.

I hope nvidea releases that gpu ram software update.

Top Bottom