• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 2 Info from Game Informer (no scans)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ubisoft's technology base is so weird. Why do they have so many engines? They've used UE3, Anvil, Dunia, LyN, etc.

jett

D-Member
Ether_Snake said:
Oh it says Winter 2009 in the article.

Hmm I hope UbiMontreal isn't rushing this one.

The multiple weapons thing is also worrisome...nobody asked for more weapons in an AC sequel. :p I hope they know what they are doing, it was kind of a disaster in Warrior Within(and now I know what John Harker meant...Ezio is probably also angsty and angry going by his backstory :p)

eso76

Ether_Snake said:
I'll sum up some of the stuff from Game Informer:

- There is an illustration of San Gimignano's towers, and it speaks of the Tuscany country side. Another illustration shows some boats in Venice's canals.

- Taller buildings. You can use a new leap maneuver to climb faster.

- Day and night cycle.

San Gimignano ? illustration means real life picture, artwork from the game or screenshot ? because that would be 10 mins from where i live : ) (you guys from NY, Los Angeles, London etc are used to have videogames take place in your hometown, it's basically a first for me..well, except for quantum of solace tie in :p)

-climb faster...not sure i like that, i guess i'll have to see just how much faster.

-day-night cycle is great news, everything sounds great in fact, definately not a case of let's put some new clothes on the main character and put him in a different location and call it quits.

FFChris

Character design looks fantastic! Retains the feel of Altairs character and updates him for the new setting.

Everything I've read so far has been pretty exciting, can't wait to play this one.

burgerdog

Just saw the scans, HOW THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING IT? I was a massive Ubisoft hater last year, but I will bow to them if AC2 plays as fucking good as it looks. CRAAAAAZY!

Wollan

I wonder if all the major publishers will stick to in-house engines in the next-generation.

I don't think I know of a UE3 game outside of Epic's own titles that ran without some kind of performance flaw be that framerate drops, image quality or fragmented levels.
Though I guess that also goes hand in hand with thorough developers creating their own custom engines more often than not.

Haunted

Y2Kev said:
Ubisoft's technology base is so weird. Why do they have so many engines? They've used UE3, Anvil, Dunia, LyN, etc.
Because they're letting their individual studios (Montpellier, Paris, Montreal, Shanghai etc.) decide which engine to use on a case by case basis.

Or let them develop their own if it's needed for a particular project(s) - see Ancel's and UParis' LyN engine for Wii/HD development.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah otherwise the studios all over the world would need to be constantly working together for games unrelated to one another.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Y2Kev said:
Like UE3 had sadly proven many times, it's very difficult to do something with an engine that was not put in there in the first place.
UE3 is about highly detailed set pieces, but limited scope (though you can cheat), Anvil is about huge landscapes but also highly detailed outside environments (it's not that good when you have to go inside buildings), Dunia is great for vegetation and scope (watch it being used in a non FPS game quite soon), and LyN is pretty much the new all around engine to be used in the not so high profile titles (like the BGE1 engine powered King Kong, but also the Naruto games). LyN can be used for 360/PS3 titles with great results, but can also scale down easily to Wii. Of course assets have to be scaled down, so it doesn't mean BGE2 will also be released on the Wii.
That's pretty much what I've been told, LyN info could be a bit wrong since people won't talk about it too much until BGE2 is shown.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That's actually what I like about AC as a series. It has two stories, one that is new in each installment, and one that is continuous from one game to the next. So you might not understand Desmond's story, but you still have a story that starts and ends in the same game pretty much with the ancestor himself. And being able to make the game set in practically any era is awesome too.

Haunted

Blimblim said:
Like UE3 had sadly proven many times, it's very difficult to do something with an engine that was not put in there in the first place.
UE3 is about highly detailed set pieces, but limited scope (though you can cheat), Anvil is about huge landscapes but also highly detailed outside environments (it's not that good when you have to go inside buildings), Dunia is great for vegetation and scope (watch it being used in a non FPS game quite soon), and LyN is pretty much the new all around engine to be used in the not so high profile titles (like the BGE1 engine powered King Kong, but also the Naruto games). LyN can be used for 360/PS3 titles with great results, but can also scale down easily to Wii. Of course assets have to be scaled down, so it doesn't mean BGE2 will also be released on the Wii.
That's pretty much what I've been told, LyN info could be a bit wrong since people won't talk about it too much until BGE2 is shown.
oooh

Blimblim

The Inside Track
nelsonroyale said:
will we get more news of this game this year? This is easily my most anticipated game from Ubi
Yes, but it doesn't look like they are ready to show the actual game quite yet.

Guled

AC2 keeps on sounding better and better. Not only that, it looks a lot better then the first. Also, 240 ppl are working on it, thats the most ppl I've heard working on one title

Wollan

Guled said:
AC2 keeps on sounding better and better. Not only that, it looks a lot better then the first. Also, 240 ppl are working on it, thats the most ppl I've heard working on one title
That most likely includes other versions besides the PS3/X360/PC trio. The PSP version is already confirmed (and the sensible thing would be to do PS2/Wii versions of that). Probably Mobile/iPhone/DS stuff as well.

eso76

ok, i've seen the scans.
it does resemble the first, but looks a lot better, and that's saying a lot since, everything considered, AC still is one of the most impressive games available.
Plus, you can gather day/night cycle will be accompanied by unified dynamic shadowing this time, looking at the pics; in the one with Ezio looking towards the sunset, buildings and characters shadows are stretched towards him, while other pics have shadows falling almost perpendicular to the ground. Impressive, although that will force devs to limit the draw distance for shadows, with awkward results and inevitable draw in.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I'm with the Debbie Downers on the outfit, but other than that, beautiful Italy on the AC engine? Sign me the fuck up!

The architecture on AC is still the best around.

edit, there were scans?! OMG! The freefall shot is amazing. Game continues to hold the architecture crown! :D

Captain N

"Our life is made by the death of others." Leonardo Da Vinci

it looks like water will be used for quick get aways. Now on top of that I noticed it looked like some buildings were on fire or there was a big fire in the glider shot.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Never played the first but this looks really, really awesome. I love the setting and the whole alternate history interactions with DaVinci, Machiavelli, and the Medici.I guess I need to check out AC1 before this comes out.

Guled

Captain N said:
"Our life is made by the death of others." Leonardo Da Vinci

it looks like water will be used for quick get aways. Now on top of that I noticed it looked like some buildings were on fire or there was a big fire in the glider shot.
apparently you can gain altitude by gliding over the smoke from fires (from riots and such)

Y2Kev

Blimblim said:
But, like, this has to be costly for Ubi. We know that there are 200+ people working routinely on their tech and games. These are incredibly expensive projects...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
But it's more expensive over the longer term to license engines all the time. Can you imagine making AC with Unreal?:p

Y2Kev

Well, no, but if they were any other company, every game they made would be running off Anvil. But they've used or created a ton of other engines too.

Hey, Ubisoft's games always look amazing (they often run like shit or tear to hell, but that's getting rarer even). I'm not going to tell them to stop. But that's pretty incredible that they have this much tech development.

°°ToMmY°° said:
overdone design of the main character.

EDIT: but i'm sure yoshitaka amano will be pleased.

fixed

The game looks great from the magazine pictures but I'm not digging the new character design. Altair's design was great but I think they should make the new character look different instead of a version of altair in the rennaisance.

The new character should have a mask/scarf and hat and more brown and red on his costume.

jett

D-Member
Higher quality scans have surfaced...apparently Jade Raymond has nothing to do wth AC2 now. :lol Ubisoft is evolving.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Reeeally like what I'm seeing in the scans. GI details are sounding sweet too (thanks for the summary, Ether_Snake). Da Vinci? Machiavelli? Fuck yeah. Oh man, do want.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jett said:
Higher quality scans have surfaced...apparently Jade Raymond has nothing to do wth AC2 now. :lol Ubisoft is evolving.

Just saw them as well.

I like how people thought those screenshots were high resolution paintings before. Just damn.

Sounds like they have their priorities straight for the sequel, although the DaVinci crap sounds absolutely ridiculous. And I was hoping blend would just sort of go away.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I am really impressed so far, everything looks and sounds amazing I hope it all comes together. I also hope theres more interaction with the world and characters in it besides missions and their cutscenes; optional convos with important peoples would be a nice way to get players more invested in the world.

On a side note I do find it kind of hilarious that Machiavelli will be in this game and mentoring Ezio of all things on tactics seeing at the time of the game he is only 7 years old. Similarly da Vinci was only 24 at the time and was in his last year as an apprentice. But its a game and you cant expect events in time to line up perfectly for it.

No game has ever "nailed" a countryside. The best attempt however, imo, is GTA: San Andreas. There was a decent amount to do there, a decent amount of filler locations, and it was fun as hell listening to K-Rose riding a 4x4.

That being said, I think it would be badass if the countryside is a main feature of this game. Something awesome about being on "the outskirts". You get a real dramatic thing going on in your head and the creative part takes over. Woopieeee going back to Los Santos to murk some bustas.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
MirageDwarf said:
Jade is missing from AC 2 group photo, has nothing to do with I Am Alive then what the hell is she working on?
Considering this is Ubisoft, they probably put her on the Imagine series. >_<

God the way they use the frag dolls is atrocious also...

But in reality, probably a new IP.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jett said:
Jade is a useless mouthpiece, who cares.
In reality I really prefer that she's not on the project. At least until Ubisoft grows up.

All we'd get is a bunch of frag doll-esque marketing for horny teenagers like last time. -_-

Fady K

AltogetherAndrews said:
Sounds like they have their priorities straight for the sequel, although the DaVinci crap sounds absolutely ridiculous. And I was hoping blend would just sort of go away.

This one is sounding like an improvement in many ways over the first one. I hope they execute the plot well enough, because some of that Da Vinci stuff is questionable. But yes, blend sucked.

jett said:
Jade is a useless mouthpiece, who cares.

At one point I actually thought it was her game, her vision, her direction. Especially after GAF's own "Being Jade Raymond" fiasco.

Ashour said:
Allot of great additions also I love the night/day cycle thing.

Yes! One of my favorite additions for the sequel, as subtle as it was to the gameplay in the first one - I hated how it was all set in the SAME time during the day (visually).

Top Bottom