• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite backgrounds in 2-D Fighters?

The Lamonster said:
livingforest_mk4.jpg
Gravijah said:
Man, you picked like the worst representation of that stage. Haha.
haha I know. I was in a big hurry last night and didn't have time to fix it.

Kuran

Banned
Chauncy Talon said:
X-MenVsStreetFighter-DeadOrLive-TheShow.png

Fighting on a tv set. OOOOOOOOOOO YEA!

Eff yeah... this one!

Also, King of Fighters 97 is very nostalgic with me, and has great presentation and design. Love the ladies that hold the round cards.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Kuran said:
Eff yeah... this one!

Also, King of Fighters 97 is very nostalgic with me, and has great presentation and design. Love the ladies that hold the round cards.
KOF 97 has a superb presentation.

2D 4 lyfe!
Pixels rules!! Vertex drool!!
* Hugs The Take Out Bandit *

Mortal Kombat used to be beautiful (in it's own way)... I like pre-rendered Mortal Kombat a lot more than the 3D ones.

I'm not even slightly hyped for the new MK. They need to take back the same kind of feeling as the first ones.

54-46!

Emperor Bohe said:
I gotta co-sign on the Street Fighter Alpha 2 and the Darkstalkers 3 stages, those are all amazing visuals. Capcom definitely hit a mark during the mid/late nineties. The stages from Street Fighter III: New Generation are all works of art. My favourites:

Alex's Stage:
vqcLd.png

Ryu's Stage:
E9xKn.png

Sean's Stage:
M6iE7.png
I'd love to see these stages in 3S Online Edition.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Never noticed that "Mega Man in New York" graffiti before, hahaha! Looks like Victor's "dad" in the other one. Man, I love all the cameos in old Capcom backgrounds.

It's a dog of a game, but SVC Chaos had a few splendid backgrounds- this forest one is stunning:
svc-forest.gif

svc-castle.gif

Speaking of forest, here's a great one from Guilty Gear:
ggx-dizzy.gif

ggx-ino.gif

And I love the feeling of pandemonium in this KOF94 one. Probably helps that the city in the back looks like it's on fire.
kof94-japan.gif

Dali

The Take Out Bandit said:
I have a Saturn thank you very much.

In time, as you did with the beauty of KoF, you'll realize I was right all along. :D
Wait, what? I was always excited for the HD KoF's, I was just never much of a KoF player. KoF XIII reminded me of the the solid, responsive feeling and fun game play experience I get when I play 3rd Strike moreso than any modern fighter I'd played, so I had to goosh.

Dali

Shig said:
Never noticed that "Mega Man in New York" graffiti before, hahaha! Looks like Victor's "dad" in the other one. Man, I love all the cameos in old Capcom backgrounds.

Haha, me neither. American Mega Man is a kid with a handgun. Anyone else notice these American stages are mostly run-down shit holes? Damn, how you really feel about us, Japan?

Bleepey

Fernando Rocker said:
Mortal Kombat used to be beautiful (in it's own way)... I like pre-rendered Mortal Kombat a lot more than the 3D ones.

I'm not even slightly hyped for the new MK. They need to take back the same kind of feeling as the first ones.

Dude they brought back so many stages that i can't believe you'd be any more wrong.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Just wanted to say thanks again for all the awesome references posted. Polycount has been linking people to this thread and its thank to your contributions, please keep them coming!

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
aomori from capcom vs snk2. Love the stage and the music. Tried to find a good screen cap of it, most were tiny or a mugen remake.

jett

D-Member
Rbff2lixiangfeibglite.gif

I wonder what was going on through the artists's mind when he animated the pig and the guy in the red shirt.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
jett said:
Rbff2lixiangfeibglite.gif

I wonder what was going on through the artists's mind when he animated the pig and the guy in the red shirt.

Well OBVIOUSLY the pig is eating the apples and the guy in red is trying to rape the pig so it will change his mind.

Kuran

Banned
I'm sorry but the Guilty Gear ones are so ugly to me. Can't really describe why...

Could someone post some backgrounds from Golden Axe: The Duel?

Waku Waku 7:
WakuWaku7-Downtown(Dandy-J).png

World Heroes Perfect:
WorldHeroesPerfect-Period.png

Desi

Foil said:
Not a very good game, but I always liked this background.

etchamp.jpg
don't know why you did not post the one with the fan in the background. The street level was one of my favorites too.

Cranzor

These pictures make me wish I liked fighting games. These are gorgeous and the atmosphere they provide are fantastic.

Raging Spaniard

Kuran said:
I'm sorry but the Guilty Gear ones are so ugly to me. Can't really describe why...

I dont know man, this one is as good as it gets

brawl-guiltygear.jpg

Just to add to the pretty:

brawl-sfstage.jpg

Anyone else love some good old low-res action? Here are a few NGPC ones that I liked, I really enjoyed the look of fighters on that system, the sprites did a really good job of capturing the style of their larger resolutions counterparts.

Japan.png

America.png

robot

Africa Stage in Capcom VS SNK 2: Dune buggys flying over your characters are aweeeesome! Wish I could find a decent picture.

Also, I think every KoF12 stage was amazing. So much detail, probably why there are only like 6 of em.

N4Us said:
The only problem with this stage it's too clearly CG "rotoscoped" in pixelart, a la Donkey Kong Country. I was never a fan of this type of style, because it's too... how can I say it... "uncanny valled".

And only I see the errors in tiling in these SvC gifs (the big rotating whells in the other background are jarring...)?

Azure J

Please come back big production 2D pixel art games. We love and miss you.

- Azure

On another funny note:

vqcLd.png

Aside from Megaman in NYC, cannot unsee Brook from One Piece on the wall under the fire escape. :lol

ScOULaris

I'm glad this thread has been able to remind people of the potential of great pixel art as demonstrated by the master 2D artists of Capcom and SNK at their peak in the late 90's.

I still hope, from the bottom of my heart, that I will see a resurgence of this type of 2D art in games during my lifetime. I'm realistically doubtful, but also passionately hopeful.

One thing that always confused me, however, is how much of a step back Third Strike's backgrounds were from the first two Street Fighter III entries.

The KOF series wins in terms of sheer spectacle (day/night cycles, crowds of people going apeshit... etc.), while I think the Last Blade games had some of the most atmospheric backgrounds.

eso76

Shig said:
And I love the feeling of pandemonium in this KOF94 one. Probably helps that the city in the back looks like it's on fire.
kof94-japan.gif

helps that the city in the back is straight from Akira. Scanned from this frame in fact.

3-1.jpg

i instantly noticed when the game came out because i was remaking the exact same Akira frame pixel by pixel on Amiga 1200 for a 2D beat em up (never released, but i had 3 backgrounds i'd like to show you, shame they are on an amiga floppy which i doubt can still be read).

maybe not 'secret that blows your mind' material, but still interesting.

off topic, the same image was obviously an inspiration for Last Resort too

2734-1-last-resort-for-neo-geo.jpg

Top Bottom