• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins October Previews

Plum

Definitely going to be picking this up now. With trading in Yakuza Kiwami I can get the game for around £30 which moves it from "ehhh, I'll wait" to Day 1. Mainly getting it for the setting, Ancient Egypt is fascinating and it'll be a nice change from the similar-looking Western cities of the past few entries.

Drewfonse

Have a 65" Samsung KS8000, so probably worth it to just take the plunge. Also have Horizon and it was nice even on the PS4, would be nice to have the better visuals in time for the DLC

Yeah, I've sort of moved on from PC gaming largely. I spend 8+ hours tethered to a PC at work, not too eager to get home and do that. And while I could get a better living room PC (I have an Alpha) I just find myself gravitating towards consoles for ease of use.

I can't remember, does the regular PS4 not do HDR? I thought I had HDR when playing Horizon but maybe I'm just misremembering. Still, sounds like I should get a PS4 Pro for sure.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Don't even hesitiate. That's nice ass TV. I have essentially its forerunner from 2 years ago, the JS8500, and games like Horizon, Uncharted 4, Titanfall 2, and Battlefield 1 all look stunning on the Pro. I'm sure that there will be substantial differences between the vanilla and Pro versions of AC Origins.

Seriously, you won't regret it. And contrary to what someone said, Boost mode can improve, or at least stabilize, frame rates of older, unsupported PS4 games.

Buy it.

The game will -probably- run just fine... but I’m still waiting for reviews. Why take the risk?

Absolutely. Reviews will be out day one at the very latest anyway, so you lose nothing by waiting (except dumb ass pre-order bonuses that you all know you'll never use anyway).

Dunan

I believe the same hieroglyphics were put up as a giant ad in Australia and there was a Twitter thread where someone actually deciphered it, and yes it's actually a message.

I'll have to find it but i believe Kotaku did a story on it too. The message was basically the Assassin's order code iirc.

Not only are they real, and capable of being translated, but Ubisoft learnt so much from this project that they've teamed up with Google to create an AI, machine-learning, translation tool for hieroglyphs. It's huge for this field of ancient history.

Oh, wow! I'm a little disappointed at being scooped on reading the hieroglyphs (this is what happens when you go on a media blackout), but it's a great sign for the franchise that they're getting back into putting this kind of detail in. It's what vaulted AC2 from a pretty good game to something really amazing.

I studied a different writing system for my postgrad work and have always wanted to apply modern computing techniques to it. That article that you (Darkstorne) reference has a link to participate in (or at least follow) the project, and I'm about to sign up!

I've suddenly realised it's been a long time since I've bought a game like this, the kind you can really sink your teeth into, potential bloat and all.

If reviews come out with favourable comparisons to 2 I might pull the trigger.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
What about Rogue?
Never came to next gen consoles lol. We really could use an American trilogy as 3 and Rogue were so obviously hampered by last gen limitations if Black Flag and to a lesser extent Rogue's next gen upgrades were any indication. Imagine having much thicker grass in AC3.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Rogue was released at the same time as Unity and was the better AC game that year.

Crossing Eden

Rogue was released at the same time as Unity and was the better AC game that year.
Nah, story is subjective, but the gameplay mechanics in Unity were such a huge move forward from 3's mechanics. I mean just based on the parkour alone and how much more control you had, the larger play spaces for the missions, the core gameplay being based less on context and more on actual manual control. It was very refreshing compared to Rogue even despite the fact that Rogue had you play as a templar.

Stranya

Nah, story is subjective, but the gameplay mechanics in Unity were such a huge move forward from 3's mechanics. I mean just based on the parkour alone and how much more control you had, the larger play spaces for the missions, the core gameplay being based less on context and more on actual manual control. It was very refreshing compared to Rogue even despite the fact that Rogue had you play as a templar.
Patched Unity is a fantastic gane. Only thing that bugs me is the firecrackers, which did nothing half the time and we're totally unpredictable. Whistling was a welcome re-addition to Syndicate.

Mifec

Patched Unity is a fantastic gane. Only thing that bugs me is the firecrackers, which did nothing half the time and we're totally unpredictable. Whistling was a welcome re-addition to Syndicate.

It's a fantastic looking game. But the story and characters are all objectively bad by the end.

I like the setting and general atmosphere but apart from that, the game is yet to prove to me that it will be superior to the recent AC games. Also, the HUD and the XP points on screen look cheap and detract from the game.

Crossing Eden

And the cover system very clearly received the least amount of attention with it's implementation in the level design considering how limiting it was.

Yam's

Unity's characters aren't necessarily bad I think. They just did a poor job telling the story. The way it's presented is messy and it's hard to care in the end.

It's a shame as Paris was one of the settings I was excited for when the serie came to light (with Egypt and China, just need the latter now).

Theorry

xxZglSK.png

So, what are the odds the story actually rivals that of The Witcher 3's, with the extra year of development? I felt that they didn't really do a good job with Watch Dogs 2, and while I really want to buy this game day one, I also don't want to get burned after having not enjoyed an AC story since probably AC2.

Green Yoshi

Some footage from Twitch con. Not the best looking because of the stream but some cool stuff and the player is decent. Those hallucination are awesome btw. So longer in the desert wiill affect Bayek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIMkyqlhpCs

That shadow on the right tho.

Taming animals? There's too much Far Cry and too little Prince of Persia in the game. But I hope the pyramids are similar to the tombs in Assassin's Creed 2.

smokey5604

Neo Member
I'm actually pretty excited for an Assassin's Creed game for the first time in a long time. I love the Egyptian aesthetic. The only thing is I haven't been in the loop of AC games since Brotherhood. Are any of the newer (after 3) AC games worth checking out to curb my hunger for this game for a bit?

shimon

Don't like those controls...

So, what are the odds the story actually rivals that of The Witcher 3's, with the extra year of development? I felt that they didn't really do a good job with Watch Dogs 2, and while I really want to buy this game day one, I also don't want to get burned after having not enjoyed an AC story since probably AC2.

0%.

Peroroncino

Open world ubisoft game with a good story? Yeah, unlikely.

Putty

As we get to release week im starting to feel a pinch of excitement...GT:S and thing i imagine will be my 2 Xmas games. Curious as to how it'll review...Been on blackout since E3 so lets see where we are come launch...

SJRB

Gold Member

I'm excited too, but let's not get crazy here. If you're expecting or even remotely hoping for a Witcher 3-tier story you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

GRaider81

I'm excited too, but let's not get crazy here. If you're expecting or even remotely hoping for a Witcher 3-tier story you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Personally I don't think the Witcher 3 writing is the god tier its made out to be. More that general videogame writing is just terrible so it stood out for being fairly decent.

Hopefully Origins is "Decent"

Toa TAK

Banned
Hopefully it's a little more than "decent", I mean, the actual story of this particular event in history is dramatic enough as is when it comes to the wars, leading figures, and changes in each nation. There's so much shit to mine here, I'd hate for them to make it into another Unity.

Open world ubisoft game with a good story? Yeah, unlikely.

Don't like those controls...

0%.

Hmm... I'll see what the reviews say. After having spent 80 euros on Mass Effect, and getting bamboozled by Destiny 2, I think I'll wait until the dust settles. Even though I really do want to play it.

Ahasverus

Yeah, I'm expecting Witcher lite, but without the amount of freedom and time CDPROJEKT had it is unlikely to reach any crazy highs.

Top Bottom