• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that it's been out a while, are you playing Switch in the form you expected to?

Mr-Joker

Banned
With Breath of the Mild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe I switched between two mode but after finishing it I haven't really touched it till Sonic Mania got released which I primarily played on the TV.

Rabbids I played on the TV, though I haven't finished it and I haven't played much of Pokkén DX.

Honestly I am still treating it as a home console and I keep gravitating towards my 3DS, though that will change when the main series Pokémon games get released on the Switch.

Ive played my switch in docked mode a total of 3 times in the 2 months that I've owned it. I'll take a perfomancr hit to lie down and have tv in the background.

D.Lo

50% Docked
20% Tabletop single player
20% Tabletop multiplayer
10% handheld

I don't really like handhelds, but it's been good for some indie games and train trips.

Tabletop is the real revelation. Took it on holidays and was still able to play with separated hands motion controls for a Splatfest. And 40 hours of Mario Kart multiplayer at work.

I didn't think I would use table top at all. Which is mostly true. I use it for multiplayer when travelling, but that's about it.

50% hand held
40% docked
10% tabletop multiplayer

Giga Man

Yep. In the dock where I expected it to be. 100% home console for me.

That being said, if I ever run out of 3DS games to play, I might consider bringing it with me on trips.

Owari

You can dock it?!

Jokes aside, I saw someone carrying the dock around. That’s a great way to bend your dock. Gotta buy one of those portable docks if you want to dock on the go.

Hooked up to my TV like a proper console. Handheld mode ergonomics are a mess, nothing to do with my hands in the back = cramp city. Wii U gamepad was a lot more comfy to hold.

Mostly as I expected. I primarily play stuff like Zelda docked, and smaller stuff or some RPGs portable.

I did play some portable Zelda while on a long trip in the car, though, and that was pretty cool.

I tried playing Picross docked, but it's just too annoying to play a game like that without the screen being close to me.

AaronMT86

Probably more handheld than I expected. I game on a 1440P monitor and the Switch blown up at 1080P just doesn’t look that good on my computer monitor.

Not Drake

All handheld for me. I got it as my 3DS/Vita replacement and it's exactly like a perfect mix of both. Great Nintendo content mixed with competent hardware and good third party/indie games. I took out the dock to check out how the games would look on a TV and I can't see doing it too often.

Yep, bought it at launch to use as a home console and I've played it outside of the dock once (tabletop mode with Mario Kart during lunch at a book convention). I love my 3DS but I hope I never have to play a game on a handheld again.

Bought mine to use docked as I really don't like handhelds and don't have the time to play on the go and it's been docked 99% of the time since I unboxed it.

I almost exclusively play it in handheld mode now.

That might change when Mario comes but for me its more of a lifestyle choice. It's much easier to play a Switch as part of your daily commute when you're not already doing something.

Phoenixus

Pretty much handheld only as I expected. Try to use it in docked as much as I can though, I enjoy using the pro controller.

Mixed usage, atm 80% TV, 20% Portable. But that doesn't mean the portable portion is not important to me. It's a great, fast and comfortable handheld-console hybrid.

GamerJM

Banned
I've been doing more console than handheld. I figured I was gonna do the Pro Controller + Mounted tablet thing but it doesn't really stand up on my bead and I'm usually too lazy to take it out of the dock.

If anyone has a good solution to making it stand up on a not-hard surface that would be very welcome though. I want to use it like I do my gaming laptop with a controller a lot of the time.

MoonFrog

The degree to which I just play in handheld mode is not what I expected.

I played BotW pretty much 50/50. I enjoyed using the device as a hybrid a lot. I've played maybe 5 out of 150 normal picross puzzles on the TV. Everything else I've played purely in portable mode.

I am planning on getting some bigger games soon though (like Mario), so that might drive hybrid play.

No..I bought it to use as a console. I played through Zelda maybe 95% docked.

Fast forward to today and I'm probably 95% handheld. Still never taken it outside my home. Quite weird.

qko

I’ve used it the way I intended to, when no one is home I dock it. When the TV is being used and before bed I undock it. Will occasionally take it out of the house if I know I’ll be parked somewhere for a long time.

For me, it’s about 75% docked, 25% undocked.

All handheld for me. I got it as my 3DS/Vita replacement and it's exactly like a perfect mix of both. Great Nintendo content mixed with competent hardware and good third party/indie games. I took out the dock to check out how the games would look on a TV and I can't see doing it too often.

Yeah. From the games I played, they generally look the same between undocked and docked. It’s a major reason why the Switch works. If one setup was unanimously flawed, the potential success of the system would be affected.

Tesser

Typing this from a cafe as we speak - having played my Switch via Tabletop for about an hour...IN PUBLIC - and it's safe to say around 2/3 of my time has been portable. But even the 1/3 I've had it in TV mode, it surprises me how true the below image is for me when it comes to using the Joy-Con's:

WW1ibqg.jpg

And I'm speaking as someone who hasn't (but is planning to) bought the pro controller yet.

I bought it primarily as a handheld, however there are some games I prefer tabletop mode for (and by extension, TV mode). Namely Splatoon 2, because freehand gyro aiming is incredible compared to how gimped it is in handheld.

However, my dock broke months ago and I don't like the idea of sending it off to Nintendo just to have my whole system wiped, so I'm awaiting Nyko's cheaper dock before I can go back to actually having a choice in how I want to play my Switch games.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I bought mine to use however I can find time. Sometimes I'll take it into the office for slow times, sometimes I'll play docked when nobody is using the "Television" TV.

It's great to have a system that lets me fit gaming into my life!

Neff

Now that another guy at work has one our lunch break is basically a Nintendo commercial with players and non-players alike involved.

Lexxism

Yes. I'm playing a mix of docked and handheld. Though, most of the time I'm playing it on handheld. I really like the flexibility of the system. The only thing I really hate is how small the buttons are on the joycons especially the minus. Like what the fuck is wrong with them?

tesqui

I thought I'd prefer handheld mode, but it just doesn't feel that comfortable to me. I 90% of the time play docked.

Murdoch

Mostly docked because I'm a splatoon fanatic. I have bought multiple docks so I can flit between locations. Absolutely love the system.

Pachinko

I'm finding I've barely used the thing at all in the nearly 4 months I've owned it. But I knew that going in as I picked one up primarily to have one when Mario arrives.

I realize the OPs actual question is handheld Vs TV and it's been a 50/50 split for me honestly.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I just expected it to be versatile and it absolutely has been. Not sure of the split, but I play both docked and handheld quite often. Tabletop not so much but it's nice to have the feature.

Have had it since day 1.

Finally used the dock a few days ago to play Mario Kart with my cousins. It was pretty fun, but not really going to use the dock again. Although I'm gonna check how Fire Emblem warriors performance mode works.

Zaphod

I bought it as a console, but I do find myself playing in portable mode quite a bit. What suprised me more was how comfy the split joy-cons are. When I first saw the teather attachments I figured those would stay in the box forever, now it's my primary way to play in console mode.

Qwyjibo

I've only owned a Switch for a week but it has been 99% handheld mode. And that is exactly what I expected. The dock is a poorly designed piece of junk. Even with a screen protector, I still worry about wear and tear sliding it in.

Chessr

I use it almost as i had in mind :)

I have played on TV at home, both livingroom and on the bedroom tv. Both 1, 2 and 3 players

I have used it as handheld both on the couch, the bed, on a plane, and at the poolside

I have used it tabletop 2 people. I have used tabletop at the airport waiting for a flight with bomberman. I have used it in a bar playing Mario kart and on the hotel terrace.
And playing snipperclips in a vacation House with the family.

I have used it all 3 modes and all have been awesome and worth it.

phanphare

Banned
Splatoon 2 on the TV everything else in handheld mode

I definitely used handheld mode more than I thought I would but that was back at launch when I played Zelda pretty much exclusively in handheld mode only docking it if my battery went low. now it's expected.

night814

Was playing it 50/50 when going through Zelda, but since other stuff like ARMs and Splatoon2 are out I've been playing them on the TV only. This will change when I don't play as much 3DS in the future.

ramparter

Banned
I bought it to use as a home console, the dock is still wrapped up. That being said, it hasn't left my house, it's pretty much exclusively been me playing in bed. I only have BoTW for it, I think I'll try the dock when Odyssey comes out next week.
This is me the other way around, expected to play it handheld in bed. It wasnt that comfortable, I ve been playing almost exclusively docked.

Jumeira

Banned
Yep, exclusively docked + pro controller. Almost wish they released a cheaper non portable option for gamers like me that dont like portable gaming but do enjoy traditional Nintendo games.

I dont care for thier online options, which means no splatoon, Arms etc.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Nope. Barely have used the thing at all since I bought at launch.

Serious answer though yeah basically. Hate using it docked because I find the few games I've played to honestly be pretty ugly on a 55 inch TV. Also just generally prefer playing on the handheld for convenience, its nice to have the TV available to watch while playing and what not.

No, but in a different context. I’m just plain not playing it. Buying games for it, but not playing pretty much at all aside from Zelda.

Even 50/50 when I do use it, though. That was expected since my wife is constantly watching the main TV.

Top Bottom