• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 2 official Japanese twitter account and website thread

Waji

And I just love the original too much. It's up there with FFIX, Chrono Trigger, Grandia, etc. for me so it's hard to believe they could pull off the same sort of game before, but I do want to join you in hoping that they will, haha.
I'm not really worried. Monolith has yet to fail me.
Even when they had to deal with the "HD period" on the freaking Wii U, they managed to release a very fine game.

As long as Takahashi is there to manage the projects, It can't go wrong.
The guy managed to make amazing game despite many obstacles.

The guy with the eyepatch reminds me a lot of Yurick from The Last Story.

qlWMf2U.png

Wildo09

If people missed him in tha trailer :
bwUMtby.png

8F59IFv.png

If Xenoblade was the same as the others I'd understand, but it's actually one of the only series I like so, no.

Ugh, a fucking eye patch. Could this game be filled with any more tropes? I feel really sad, the character design is bad, the story will be assuredly crappy, the combat has been heavily simplified (4 arts per blade). This is not the sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles I wanted :(

I hope I'm completely wrong when the game releases.

TheMoon

Ugh, a fucking eye patch. Could this game be filled with any more tropes? I feel really sad, the character design is bad, the story will be assuredly crappy, the combat has been heavily simplified (4 arts per blade). This is not the sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles I wanted :(

How has the combat been simplified? The UI for it has been simplified because the Arts Bar was so incredibly intimidating (flashbacks to GAF threads about X and going all "uaghh puke yikes" at all the crap on screen).

If anything, it feels more complex now under the hood. You cycle between blades and there's a bigger emphasis put on combos and charging up multi-attacks between your party members than before.

MomoQca

Oooh, yay! More face complaints... -.-

Honestly, it's fine to dislike them. But you don't need to come in every Xenoblade 2 topics and complain about it. All it does is make everyone else miserable and less willing to participate in future topics. Like, seriously!

TheMoon

Honestly, it's fine to dislike them. But you don't need to come in every Xenoblade 2 topics and complain about it. All it does is make everyone else miserable and less willing to participate in future topics. Like, seriously!

It's Xenoblade X all over again.

It's gonna lead to me throwing that 2Unlimited video in the OT's subtitle again...

Waji

If it can reassure you, you're actually already wrong.

There's only 3 Arts per Blade, not 4, the last icon is something different, but even then since you can carry 3 Blade at all times, it means you actually have 9 Arts + 3 special attacks. It's technically far more than what we usually have. The button layout is also better since you can select everything instantly without moving to the left or right for a while. Better for handheld as well.
We didn't see anything about skills, how stats work (agility, desxterity, luck...), what the Blade system is exactly...

And... what's this thing with the eyepatch ? Now anything people see is the worst cliche ever. Well of course, almost everything has been done already, doesn't mean every stories are bad just because they use things we already see somewhere else.
I'm happy we're not getting the sequel you wanted then (which is fun as we know almost nothing of it but ok...). Doesn't seem like you know how things work.

Seriously now an Eyepatch is the end of the world. Come on !

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah when I saw the battle UI during the Treehouse I also thought they'd watered down the combat system for sure, but the more I saw of it the more I realized it seemed to be just as complex and good.

That they refined it and made the UI simpler doesn't mean the complexity and depth isn't there. I'd rather they continued working on the mechanics, refining them and making them more "elegant" than doing the same in every game.

Also what's this about the story assuredly being bad? We know almost nothing about it. It's about the boy and the girl going together to a place called Elysium. That's literally all we know. How can anyone make any sort of judgement based on that alone?

I like that they kept the old XCX account and refurbished it, rather than starting from scratch.

Looking forward to this. Watched the Treehouse footage twice now and I quite like the improvements to the battle system that have been made.

Kicko

The music is superb, but that's to be expected given the all-star cast that's working on it.

This game has my attention (it doesn't come without my concerns), and overall I'm very optimistic about it.

As long as Takahashi is there to manage the projects, It can't go wrong.
The guy managed to make amazing game despite many obstacles.

I thought I was a Takahashi fan since Xenogears, but then I read an article somewhere saying he was the one responsible for the amazing magitek march towards Narshe in FFVI's opening. That is my favorite... opening sequence... ever. The man is a genius.

Waji

I thought I was a Takahashi fan since Xenogears, but then I read an article somewhere saying he was the one responsible for the amazing magitek march towards Narshe in FFVI's opening. That is my favorite... opening sequence... ever. The man is a genius.
Seems like he and his wife also came up with the soldier/memory part of FF7 too.
But the rest of the story was too dark for a main FF so they let him work on another title (Xenogears) while other people continue with FF7.
That's what I read somewhere.

Fireblend

Banned
Woah. You just blew my mind. Seriously, thanks for letting me know who is to thank for my favorite opening in a video game ever.

Woah. You just blew my mind. Seriously, thanks for letting me know who is to thank for my favorite opening in a video game ever.

You're welcome! Check it out:

Sakaguchi and Takahashi came to have a close working relationship. The young artist was instrumental in creating Final Fantasy 6's opening, when a line of bipedal tanks trudge through the snow en route to a remote village. Sakaguchi had intended for these so-called Magiteks to appear in the intro exactly as they did in the game, as rather squat, shuffling sprites. Takahashi had other plans, however, and drew the machines from behind, where you could see their height and mechanical heft. He made them walk into the screen using the Super Nintendo's Mode 7 effect. The scene, combined with Nobuo Uematsu's 'Omen' theme is one of the series' most memorable. The late Nintendo president Satoru Iwata once asked Sakaguchi whether Takahashi's work improved on the dirctor's vision. "Right," said Sakaguchi. "And it hurt a bit to admit it."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...the-man-behind-xenoblades-breathtaking-worlds

Wildo09

I didn't mean to sound so down on the game XD

I love Xenoblade, it's one of my favorite games of all time, the problem I have with these characters it's that they look too young. Takahashi talks about a romantic boy-meets-girl story, that just sounds like something that will turn very awkward and melodramatic considering how romance is portrayed normally in Japanese media.

I really liked how they managed romance in the first Xenoblade, it was very subtle, and it wasn't the focus of the story.

And the eye patch, well, I hope they at least give a good reason for it.

Those are my complaints about the story, and I think it's fine to have these concerns until shown otherwise.

I'm still optimistic about the game, the music will be fantastic, the setting with distinct environments for each Titan sounds great, being able to play a huge RPG on the go is exciting, and some have said the combat is deeper than I originally thought.

Kandinsky

I really don't like the Blade system, at least visually. Having 6 (maybe 8) characters on screen fighting just seem busy and annoying, they should also disappear on the field too (-mounts obsly), ugh.

Waji

Website Update 01

chara01.png

Rex
He's a boy with an overflowing vitality who makes a living out of salvaging.
After meeting Homura, he'll become greatly affected by the fate of the world.

chara02.png

Homura
Blade who becomes Rex's partner. She uses the power of flame.
Together with Rex, they intend to find paradise.

intro_img01.png

A world covered with a sea of clouds, Arst
A large number of living creatures are inhabiting the sea of clouds,
some particularly gigantic were called the "Giant Beasts Ars"
People established their base of activities on top of Ars
es

intro_img02.png

When a person comes in contact with a core crystal,
it gives birth to a subspecies life form. Blades are born with a weapon.
They become the arms and legs of the person who gave birth to them.
They grow and cut through battles together.

intro_img03.png

Chosen people who can give birth to Blades.
Empathising with a Blade, the driver can use a great variety of powers.

Takahashi's message translated by CAAAAAAAAAAAW

Golnei

I really liked how they managed romance in the first Xenoblade, it was very subtle, and it wasn't the focus of the story.

Shulk and Fiora were anything but subtle - though this does seem to take centre stage earlier on. Regardless of what plot twists occur, I assume there'll be ample melodrama.

Mister Wolf

Since people seems to discuss about stuff without even having any knowledge (on other topics and websites) I'm going to translate some more stuff.
By the way, is it possible to modify the topic title ?

Appreciate the info. Those beasts are chill as hell for letting people camp out on them. I wonder if we will get to see the surface of the world? The trailer gave me the feeling Pyra already existed prior to meeting Rex not that she was created because of him like his other Blades.

Waji

Appreciate the info. Those beasts are chill as hell for letting people camp out on them. I wonder if we will get to see the surface of the world? The trailer gave me the feeling Pyra already existed prior to meeting Rex not that she was created because of him like his other Blades.
I'm asking myself the same question. I'm sure we saw nothing of the beginning of the game which probably explains a lot.

During the trailer we saw them fall so we might go somewhere under the clouds...

TheMoon

you have to PM a mod

When a person comes in contact with a core crystal,
it gives birth to a subspecies life form. Blades are born with a weapon.
They become the arms and legs of the person who gave birth to them.
They grow and cut through battles together.

And that's how I met your mother.

-shadow-

If anything those pants deserve the attention. I can't get over how impractical they must me in real 😂

Mister Wolf

I'm gonna miss having complete control over break, topple, daze with the time freeze party attack. If there's one thing I would add to the combat system it would be that. Maybe I'm wrong and its in there. It does have a party gauge.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I actually like Xenoblade X battle system. I know that some people complained about it, but it felt epic once you grasped it. Maybe I don't have yet a full grasp on Xeno 2's, but it looks simplified but also less fun and fluid.

I actually like Xenoblade X battle system. I know that some people complained about it, but it felt epic once you grasped it. Maybe I don't have yet a full grasp on Xeno 2's, but it looks simplified but also less fun and fluid.

It definitely looks slower than X but I'm not sure if it could be considered simplified. There's already a few mechanics that they showed off on the stream that we know very little about such as that strange combo that they pulled off and the blade system and all of it's intricacies. I also don't doubt that new mechanics will be introduced later in the game and that the reason the combat seems simpler is because they've only shown off parts of the early game. Considering their excellent work in the previous two games, I have faith that Monolith Soft will deliver on the combat

jdstorm

Banned

It looks similar to X but slightly slower. You still have auto attacks, but they are combo's that can only be peformed stationary. This seems to be the big change that slows combat down to a more deliberate pace unlike X which is frantic and closer to a TPS due to your ability to move and change targets while attacking.

In X and XC2 Arts are tied to the players weapons. Its just that in XC2 your weapon is a magical sword girl thats standing behind you rather then an assult rifle. These are quickly switched on the D pad and you appear to have 9 Arts total (3 Weapons x 3 Arts). Cooldown timers remain the same. Party interactions appear to be almost Mass Effect like in that each party member has special abilities that you can use at the press of a button to trigger combo's. All of these abilities are on some sort of timers level system like X where greater levels do more damage.

XC2's battle system looks like an improvement overall, but it will be slower and less convaluted. It wont feel as epic as XCX but for those that love stratergy it is a nice upgrade.

Edit:

I agree with this. It seems like for Pyra Monolith Soft are trying to do something similar to the classic Xmen "Pheonix" storyline with Pyra as XC2's Jean Grey. However XC2 appears to be combining it with a classic pulp romance adventure and a comming of age story. If I'm right, its quite the tightrope to be walking.

Mister Wolf

It looks similar to X but slightly slower. You still have auto attacks, but they are combo's that can only be peformed stationary. This seems to be the big change that slows combat down to a more deliberate pace unlike X which is frantic and closer to a TPS due to your ability to move and change targets while attacking.

In X and XC2 Arts are tied to the players weapons. Its just that in XC2 your weapon is a magical sword girl thats standing behind you rather then an assult rifle. These are quickly switched on the D pad and you appear to have 9 Arts total (3 Weapons x 3 Arts). Cooldown timers remain the same. Party interactions appear to be almost Mass Effect like in that each party member has special abilities that you can use at the press of a button to trigger combo's. All of these abilities are on some sort of timers level system like X where greater levels do more damage.

XC2's battle system looks like an improvement overall, but it will be slower and less convaluted. It wont feel as epic as XCX but for those that love stratergy it is a nice upgrade.

Edit:

I agree with this. It seems like for Pyra Monolith Soft are trying to do something similar to the classic Xmen "Pheonix" storyline with Pyra as XC2's Jean Grey. However XC2 appears to be combining it with a classic pulp romance adventure and a comming of age story. If I'm right, its quite the tightrope to be walking.

No doubt Pyra is special among Blades but Rex getting ass kicked using her power by two different people in the trailer. That one female knight with the twin Blades with flowers on them and that guy with the crazy looking Blade.

jdstorm

Banned
No doubt Pyra is special among Blades but Rex getting ass kicked using her power by two different people in the trailer. That one female knight with the twin Blades with flowers on them and that guy with the crazy looking Blade.

That just seems to be typical "She's holding back" and "You haven't seen my true form" Storytelling. Need to have a sense of progression in your RPG afterall.

Waji

To add to what the other members told you I'd also like to say that you should come back here in a while when the website gives us more details on systems. I'll translate what needs to be. Right now there are far more details we don't know than stuff we understand.

And if 2's battle system feels slower, it also seems more strategic and also pretty far from the 2 others in some ways.

- You can't attack while moving so it's almost like a tactical game, you chose to move OR to attack. It gives a way to not attack while the ennemy is sleeping for example, because with Carna/Sharla in Xenoblade 1, you couldn't. It also has an important effect on position and other stuff.

- Auto attacks now have a specific combo and each hit deals more damage. There's also now some kind of "just attack" like in Phantasy Star Online. You can trigger a bonus if you time your Arts after auto attacks. It appears on the screen as a blue circle.

- Time now charges the Blades. Arts charge through auto attack and each auto attack hit charges more than the previous one during a combo. Finally, Arts charge Blades special attacks. There's far more strategy to focus on during battle between that, switching Blades, watching the party gaauge, Blade special arts, and other characters.......

- We don't know how skills work, how Blades work (only that the treehouse guy "dropped" one after his first battle. But it feels too random/lucky to help understand how the whole thing could work. We may end up getting new Blades from random battles, from quests. Maybe would there be more rare ones, for example dropped from Unique enemies.
There were 21 spots for Blades on Rex's screen and 1/99 crystals before the treehouse guy used it to create the third Blade for Rex.
Blades might become the only equipment for character and we'll manage tons of them. They might be born with a random set of Arts... could go any way.

- Last but not least, "Rich" is really bad at playing Xenoblade as he was already bad with XenobladeX back then, it doesn't help at all.
He's also wrong on many things. For X he said only voices could heal and that's as wrong as it can be.
For Xenoblade 2 he was at least wrong once when he said the "Launch" effect needed break or topple before (can't remember), but I saw it being triggered while no effect were active right before.

I'm gonna miss having complete control over break, topple, daze with the time freeze party attack. If there's one thing I would add to the combat system it would be that. Maybe I'm wrong and its in there. It does have a party gauge.
I think you are wrong indeed : ). Because the leftmost icon is most certainly related to the party attack. There are 3 arrows poiting the middle with a "!" at the top. It has to be. We'll see how different the whole thing works but there's plenty of hope, especially as there are new effects.
Not only topple, stun (yellow star) but also launch (wanted that since the first one) and something after that according to the treehouse.

Wamb0wneD

After I've seen the footage I must say the battle system looks better than the one of the first Xenoblade. The clearer and more cleaned up UI helps with that i guess.

Mister Wolf

After I've seen the footage I must say the battle system looks better than the one of the first Xenoblade. The clearer and more cleaned up UI helps with that i guess.

Its gonna be nice seeing how I can break the game with those new status effect chains. Ive always been partial to poison effects. Spike effect from enemies used to piss me off in the original Xenoblade.

Wamb0wneD

Its gonna be nice seeing how I can break the game with those new status effect chains. Ive always been partial to poison effects. Spike effect from enemies used to piss me off in the original Xenoblade.

Haha there's a lot of stuff that pissed me of in the first when it comes to battle. New one does look promising. Liked the other weapons he had as well, though some of the character versions looked a bit samey.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The point being that I'm not sure that the battle being more strategic than frantic and fun is a worthy trade-off. At least for a good part of the game. The battles showed in the Treehouse stream presented no challenge whatsoever, even when fighting with enemies of a bigger level (the mechy looking enemy at level 12 vs. the level 10 of the party). Looked as fun as slowly chopping meat.

Yeah, I know that's still close to the beginning of the game, but it will take a bit of the playing time to reach level 10. Probably the battles later in the game will be more interesting and the strategic part will matter more. One needs patient to reach that part.

Man I want a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Direct lol. Maybe they'll do the videos again like they did for XCX. I like the combat looks reeled in because XCX was too much.

Mister Wolf

The point being that I'm not sure that the battle being more strategic than frantic and fun is a worthy trade-off. At least for a good part of the game. The battles showed in the Treehouse stream presented no challenge whatsoever, even when fighting with enemies of a bigger level (the mechy looking enemy at level 12 vs. the level 10 of the party). Looked as fun as slowly chopping meat.

Yeah, I know that's still close to the beginning of the game, but it will take a bit of the playing time to reach level 10. Probably the battles later in the game will be more interesting and the strategic part will matter more. One needs patient to reach that part.

To be fair if you showed the beginning of xenoblade's early level combat it looks just like that.

Mister Wolf

Man I want a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Direct lol. Maybe they'll do the videos again like they did for XCX. I like the combat looks reeled in because XCX was too much.

They didn't give it the respect it deserved at E3. We needed like 40 more minutes of playing through the game no commentary.

They didn't give it the respect it deserved at E3. We needed like 40 more minutes of playing through the game no commentary.

I was hoping they were going to do another gameplay session of it at Treehouse. I'm a little disappointed in day 3 of Treehouse they didn't have a better variety.

jdstorm

Banned

Keep in mind Xenoblade 2's combat has to be accessible to new players. For series vets its relitively simple. However for new players there is a lot to learn and even what was shown could be overwhelming for completely new players.

vareon

Since people seems to discuss about stuff without even having any knowledge (on other topics and websites) I'm going to translate some more stuff.

The boy meets girl story sounds shonen as fuck. But yeah, "boy meets girl and then goes on an adventure" is pretty much a classic recipe and I'll take it gladly.

Top Bottom