• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 has won over 240 GOTY Awards so far.

Winners of the previous years according to the site:

2003: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
2004: Half-Life 2
2005: Resident Evil 4
2006: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
2007: Bioshock
2008: Fallout 3

2009: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2010: Red Dead Redemption
2011: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2012: The Walking Dead: The Game
2013: The Last of Us
2014: Dragon Age: Inquisition

I've only played 3 of these.

GTA V was robbed last year.

Fallout 4 is my 2015 GOTY for sure.

_Legacy_

Rightly so, I initially had Fallout 4 as my GOTY but after a personal review, Witcher 3 was the superior game for me.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
When I think of Witcher 3 I think of all the meaningless fetch quest and collectathons. 166 GOTY awards is 166 too many.

sick8fsh3.gif

Someone has been drinking the Jeff koolaid.

It's factually incorrect to call Witcher 3's quests "fetch and collectathons". Don't like the game? Whatever but at least don't make up bullshit about the game.

Heimbeck

Banned

It's factually incorrect to call Witcher 3's quests "fetch and collectathons". Don't like the game? Whatever but at least don't make up bullshit about the game.

Jeff doesn't really seem that opposed to those types of games so he wouldn't say it anyway.

That 2003-2015 GOTY list...
People sure love their gritty Cinematic Experiences(TM)

This. Cinematics over gameplay mechanics is the name of the game. Witcher 3 won because of its excellent ambient soundscape and story-telling. It's all presentation. In terms of mechanics, the game doesn't break any new ground. It's the same go near an enemy, dodge and button mash (just watch your character swing his blade in a canned animation with almost no regard to the actual position of the enemy).

Goes back to playing Rocket League and Splatoon for pure gameplay bliss...

I've logged 20+ hours in Witcher III so far, and while I like it, it hasn't really 'clicked' yet.

I dunno what it is, but the game just isn't fun to play.

It is insulting to how much effort they put into the side quests. Like every side quest had a cool story around them and never felt as empty as shit like DAI with the "go collect crystals around the map lol"

I got a side quest after a douchey dude insulted my main bu, and later in the game I find him tied up about to be burned and I'm all "WELCOME TO THE NEW AGE TO THE NEW AGE"

Also this game had Trololo, aka the BEST guy ever. Nobody can argue this game lacks quality.

Heimbeck

Banned
It is insulting to how much effort they put into the side quests. Like every side quest had a cool story around them and never felt as empty as shit like DAI with the "go collect crystals around the map lol"

I got a side quest after a douchey dude insulted my main bu, and later in the game I find him tied up about to be burned and I'm all "WELCOME TO THE NEW AGE TO THE NEW AGE"

Also this game had Trololo, aka the BEST guy ever. Nobody can argue this game lacks quality.

The trolls are the second best thing about the game for sure.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This. Cinematics over gameplay mechanics is the name of the game. Witcher 3 won because of its excellent ambient soundscape and story-telling. It's all presentation. In terms of mechanics, the game doesn't break any new ground. It's the same go near an enemy, dodge and button mash (just watch your character swing his blade in a canned animation with almost no regard to the actual position of the enemy).

Goes back to playing Rocket League and Splatoon for pure gameplay bliss...
This game has a ton of build variety.

Staf

This game has a ton of build variety.

I love Witcher 3 and it's my GOTY but i think it's quite light on the build variety front to be honest. No matter what build you play it feels samey, for me at least. Probably the only downside to the game for me.

Crossing Eden

I love Witcher 3 and it's my GOTY but i think it's quite light on the build variety front to be honest. No matter what build you play it feels samey, for me at least. Probably the only downside to the game for me.
There are three main builds, alchemy, magic, melee, then various variants on those that you can respec with.

Witcher 3 is a really...really great game. I wish it wasn't quite so long however. I have no idea how long I have been playing it but I'd wager close to 100 hours...

Leb

The combat is quite fluid, but there are some issues with the sword play like long winded "fast attack" animations, inconsistent dodge, etc.

If you do decide to buy the game, get it on PC (and play with a controller). 60 fps, instant magic casting, and other stuff can make the combat feel a lot more fluid and responsive than on <30fps consoles.

I personally enjoy the combat, as I mainly play with a magic focussed character. I feel the frustrations mostly come from sword focused console users.

Further to this, it's worth noting that virtually the entire combat loop and its constituent mechanics are exposed in the player scripts and can be changed by rewriting portions of said scripts.

For instance, you can make changes to the soft lock functionality (which incidentally governs whether Geralt will perform a "long-winded" attack -- this can be modified so that the player decides whether to fire a near or far light attack) and you can make other changes such that the player can control when the combat stance is entered/exited.

For individuals who are unconcerned with non-canonical (from CDPR's perspective) balance/lore changes, you could, for instance, make changes to the damage modifiers so that enemies aren't enormous damage sponges on high difficulties or heavily nerf quen (as quen really only existed in the book lore as heliotrope and worked dramatically differently).

Now to be sure, it's unrealistic to expect everyone to do this, but if you have the inclination and the aptitude and have certain specific complaints about the combat system, well, chances are pretty good that you can change it to your liking.

There are three main builds, alchemy, magic, melee, then various variants on those that you can respec with.

My first playthrough involved me going heavy into melee combat. Very little sign use aside from trying to interrupt enemies and popping quen. Mostly hack and slash.

I also tried a heavy potions build. Very fun... but there's only so much you can do with bombs and eventually you're back to hack and slash. Nothing wrong with that but...

Now I'm doing signs. And it's fantastic. I can basically firestream a group of human enemies, watch them burn until my stamina is back up, and then firestrem again. Rinse and repeat until dead. And that never gets old.

Yrden is also tons of fun with the slow motion AND trap down at the same time.

Aard is basically the "i win" button for any enemy that is lower level than I am. Which is a great time saver when I'm out and about exploring the world.

Signs man. So much fun.

ZangBa

I wouldn't say the game is all fetch quests and cillecting, although there were a few fetch quests that were annoying. The problem with the quests for me were they were just so repetitive, which would be fine if the gameplay was enjoyable like MGSV, but it simply isn't, at least for me. Most quests were hold Witcher Sense and follow the trail, then kill a monster or talk to someone, then kill a monster. It didn't help that I pretty much found every NPC in the game an annoying asshole I didn't want to talk to, including both the women you can romance. I only romanced Triss because she was slightly more bearable to be around than Yennifer, I rather have a romance with the Dwarf, at least he was all right.

Synless

I will say this, Witcher 3 is the best next gen experience I have had so far. I just came back to it to play the dlc and the game gives me all types of feels. The game is magical.

dlauv

Good,

Let's hope Bloodborne's just a mechanical primer for Dark Souls 3, because I found BB lacking in depth and weak in some design areas. It seemed they dumped everything into the new art direction, lore, and revamped combat mechanics.

W3 deserves the win. Its ARPG combat isn't the best in the world, but it does just about everything else a whole lot a lot better than other ARPGs, and it's just so god damned ambitious.

Crossing Eden

My first playthrough involved me going heavy into melee combat. Very little sign use aside from trying to interrupt enemies and popping quen. Mostly hack and slash.

I also tried a heavy potions build. Very fun... but there's only so much you can do with bombs and eventually you're back to hack and slash. Nothing wrong with that but...

Now I'm doing signs. And it's fantastic. I can basically firestream a group of human enemies, watch them burn until my stamina is back up, and then firestrem again. Rinse and repeat until dead. And that never gets old.

Aard is basically the "i win" button for any enemy that is lower level than I am. Which is a great time saver when I'm out and about exploring the world.

Signs man. So much fun.
tumblr_m9m30rMFoW1qkktc4o1_500.gif

I friggin love signs.

I always go alchemy in the witcher. Have since the first one and this game is no different. Have a few points in signs as well, alt yrden too good. No points in swordsmanship, what's the point? All the buffs you get seem boring from that tree cept the twirl attack.

k4n3

Banned
i paid $30 for this game on steam and got a refund i just cant get sucked into a world with this bad of voice acting and crap combat ... sorry

I always go alchemy in the witcher. Have since the first one and this game is no different. Have a few points in signs as well, alt yrden too good. No points in swordsmanship, what's the point? All the buffs you get seem boring from that tree cept the twirl attack.

I initially did it for the twirl attack. It looked fun so I wanted to try it.

But now that I'm going with signs, it's definitely more fun. I feel like signs are something that separates Witchers from normal folk. Sure, they're excellent sword fighters, but their signs are very unique. Witcher potions are too but... between drinking a liquid or setting someone on fire, I prefer setting someone on fire.

My only complaint with Yrden Alt is that it takes too long to deploy once a fight starts, so it's hard to get a 2nd one up.

Signs man. So much fun.

Firestream and Alt Yrden so I can play defensively and use potions and bombs. Heightened Tolerance so I can use more potions and decoctions. Fast attack so that I can pick my spots of being aggressive. Poisoned blades to make oils more effective. Whirl for crowds.

Swap in Axii if needed for conversations. Basic Quen. No lock-on. Learn when to dodge and when to roll(usually dodge). Parry against humans. Read the bestiary for enemy weaknesses. I love the combat. It feels like a dance and there are many options to boost your abilities and neutralize the enemy. It has its share of flaws, but I find it really enjoyable.

He got it confused with Mad Max. I mean, the keys are like right next to each other, so I can understand it.

That must be it.

I've only played 3 of these.

GTA V was robbed last year.

Fallout 4 is my 2015 GOTY for sure.

You haven't played The Last of Us, yet you know GTA V got "robbed"? I actually played them both and would definitely give the nod to TLOU despite GTA V being an awesome game.

Similarly, I played both Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 and would easily give it to Witcher 3. Fallout 4 was good, but the side quests were incredibly disappointing, writing was mediocre, etc.

Great game but really wish the mod for hairworks on everything but Geralt still worked. I've been thinking about having a crack at making it myself since it doesn't seem to be supported anymore but I've only done fairly basic mods in the past and I've heard how complex the Nvidia stuff is supposed to be so don't even know if it's something I could actually do. Anyone here modded Nvidia's plug ins before and can give any input on the challenge I'd be up against?

SugarDave

Glad to see CDPR getting the recognition they deserve. The game has some issues, for sure, but it was the best experience I had with a game this year and probably in many years.

Really excited to see what they do with Blood & Wine and Cyberpunk 2077.

Glad to see CDPR getting the recognition they deserve. The game has some issues, for sure, but it was the best experience I had with a game this year and probably in many years.

Really excited to see what they do with Blood & Wine and Cyberpunk 2077.

It's really amazing to see how far they've come since they started making games.

Signs man. So much fun.

Yeah seriously!

I am playing a Sign build on DM difficulty and abuse Igni/Quen like crazy.

Kadayi

Banned
Ehh I always feel like TW3's "awful" combat is a little overplayed.

I'll be honest I read peoples posts where they say the combat is too difficult and I have wonder what they're doing in terms of preparation with the character, and what their build is. There's a tonne of information available in the bestiary with regard to what signs, bombs and oils work best again which enemy.

The whole point of the game is not to go in half cocked, so if people are just wandering into random caves with no sense as to what they are up against they've only have themselves to blame when they get their asses handed to them.

I never felt that the game ever treated me unfairly once in a fight versus my own stupidity at times resulting in an ignoble end.

Also Signs is the way to go for sure.

Aside from that glad to hear TW3 garnered that many awards. Well deserved.

What's this about?

I love Colin Moriarty, but after all the #ColinWasRight involving the Uncharted delay that trended (and was even acknowledge by Druckmann) it's good to keep in mind that he also said The Witcher 3 would receive no awards. He said it came out too early and would be forgotten by the end of the year.

This is being pulled from memory. Maybe not "no awards" but at very least no "GOTY awards." After being wrong he went on to say that he like making controversial gambles, that way when he's right it's a big deal and when he's wrong it's just another in the wrong pile. Made me laugh when people were spamming #ColinWasRight.

That said. I love the man. Been listening for years.

Story story story, it's all story. Every quest is basically follow red glowy line, fight monster. That's it, that's practically the entire game. The combat isn't deep either; at least DA:I has multiple characters, team tactics.

Witcher is a quality game but it is story over substance.

Savitar

As I said before after seeing Witcher II get passed up repeatedly for bigger name games it was beyond my expectations to see the Witcher III get the praise and acclaims it so richly deserved.

Definitely well earned.

JCX

W3's combat is not great, but it's also not as poor as many posters here make it out to be. I haven't played much of it, but it seems a bunch better than AssCreed. Don't expect a Platinum type combat system in every game.

Daingurse

Well deserved. After finishing the Hearts of Stone over the weekend, I can say that this was easily the best game I played all last year. I can't wait for the second expansion. Amazing how far this series has come, I believe someone earlier said that Witcher 1&2 combined only had like 1-2 GOTY awards. It's awesome how popular this shit has gotten, more people enjoying The Witcher is a good thing!

You haven't played The Last of Us, yet you know GTA V got "robbed"? I actually played them both and would definitely give the nod to TLOU despite GTA V being an awesome game.

Similarly, I played both Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 and would easily give it to Witcher 3. Fallout 4 was good, but the side quests were incredibly disappointing, writing was mediocre, etc.
To me GTA deserved it, over any games I played that year. GTA was incredible and I had a blast playing it.

Same goes for Fallout. I put like 60 hours into it and lobed every second.

After PS2 I switched to Xbox and I'm a one console kinda guy.

I'd love to try TLOU though

Heimbeck

Banned
I love Colin Moriarty, but after all the #ColinWasRight involving the Uncharted delay that trended (and was even acknowledge by Druckmann) it's good to keep in mind that he also said The Witcher 3 would receive no awards. He said it came out too early and would be forgotten by the end of the year.

This is being pulled from memory. Maybe not "no awards" but at very least no "GOTY awards." After being wrong he went on to say that he like making controversial gambles, that way when he's right it's a big deal and when he's wrong it's just another in the wrong pile. Made me laugh when people were spamming #ColinWasRight.

That said. I love the man. Been listening for years.

Yeah I knew it was about Colin, never heard him say that though.
He knows he's wrong just as much as he is right, it's just a dumb joke he goes along with.
Really though some of the things he says, like TW3 won't win any awards, is just stupid.
It obviously would, most people here probably would have told you that.

That said I like him a lot too, even if he says some real dumb things sometimes.

Top Bottom