• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliph95

That's cheating. Few series measure up to MHA there.

One Piece would be better but Oda forgot that women have internal organs
or fighting powers
True and is worst post time skip but they have character and Oda is trying harder than it's competitors but i would rather not bring the discussion here the OP board is tired of it.
HxH has the greatest female character in
Palm
also
Komugi, The Butlers and Sailor JoJo

cntr

Banned
HxH has the greatest female character in
Palm
HxH has pretty good female characters.

Palm's a Jojo expy, anyway.

At least with the original roman way there would be only one way to represent a number. You have to remember so many abstract rules to use the subtraction system, which a great argument for why we don't use roman numerals anymore in casual use.
The Romans and medieval Europeans mostly used abacuses to do any complex math. Or they just stuck to geometry.

cntr

Banned
My Hero Academia relies on body language a lot (in the manga), so you can consciously/unconsciously infer a lot about characters just from looking at them.

So pretty much any new character, girl or boy, becomes popular as soon as they're introduced, lol.

HxH has pretty few female characters, but the ones it does have are usually pretty great.
Yup. One of the few Jump series good about that.

I'd say World Trigger is the big shonen series with the best girls.

Shout out to Promised Neverland for actually having a female protagonist.
Should read World Trigger sometime, seems like a fun series.

Still waiting on The Promised Neverland to see whether it manages not to fall apart, but I really like that it has a female protagonist.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I was semi joking about my choice of female character from HxH. I almost wonder if Togashi created her to poke fun at a bunch of anime stereotypes.

cntr

Banned
I was semi joking about my choice of female character from HxH. I almost wonder if Togashi created her to poke fun at a bunch of anime stereotypes.
Actually, she's based on a character in Jojo that Araki created to make fun of anime stereotypes. (Togashi and Araki are friends in real life.)

So you're sort of right.

caliph95

Actually, she's based on a character in Jojo that Araki created to make fun of anime stereotypes. (Togashi and Araki are friends in real life.)

So you're sort of right.
heh that explains alot of them being friends
also Yukako is always ironic in that case

Ray Down

Banned
True and is worst post time skip but they have character and Oda is trying harder than it's competitors but i would rather not bring the discussion here the OP board is tired of it.
also
Komugi, The Butlers and Sailor JoJo

Certainly did more with it's women than Naruto, Bleach or FT ever could.

Can't speak to My Hero.

cntr

Banned
Oda's pretty bad with the female characters. They never really get fights and they either look like Nami and lack internal organs, or they look like Lola.

It's weird.

HStallion

Oda's pretty bad with the female characters. They never really get fights and they either look like Nami and lack internal organs, or they look like Lola.

It's weird.

I didn't know Oda was a Rob Lifeld fan.

Raxus

Oda has been improving SLIGHTLY with his girls over time. In the recent arcs. For a while no characters were getting fights at all who weren't part of the big trio.

Now he has introduced Carrot, Nami and Luffy paired up to take down a foe, Big Mom, etc. Although he still needs to work on his designs at least he is getting better about rotating his characters to give them attention.

HxH and MHA easily have best girls. MHA especially but I don't want to spoil it if it indeed comes to Toonami.

caliph95

Oda has been improving SLIGHTLY with his girls over time. In the recent arcs. For a while no characters were getting fights at all who weren't part of the big trio.

Now he has introduced Carrot, Nami and Luffy paired up to take down a foe, Big Mom, etc. Although he still needs to work on his designs at least he is getting better about rotating his characters to give them attention.

HxH and MHA easily have best girls. MHA especially but I don't want to spoil it if it indeed comes to Toonami.
They are more diverse in their design recently thanks to the BM pirates and such

cntr

Banned
Yeah, Oda's been improving a lot in the latest arc. Hope he keeps it up,
though he's already done some eye-rolling things.

MHA's been great with writing the female characters. If it keeps it up, it'll be the best Jump series since Hunter x Hunter and Stone Ocean at doing it right.

They are more diverse in their design recently thanks to the BM pirates and such
Even the latest arc is pretty unvaried with the female character designs, though.

It's weird when Oda makes the male characters so wacky by comparison.

caliph95

MHA's been great with writing the female characters. If it keeps it up, it'll be the best Jump series since Hunter x Hunter and Stone Ocean at doing it right.

Even the latest arc is pretty unvaried with the female character designs, though.

itssomething.gif

Gif of Jolyne from a game not spoiling anything but just in case
giphy.gif

TheSun

One thing I hate about most anime is that the women are all drawn the same, minus a different wig.

Monster is one of the few that strays a bit.

cntr

Banned
Still need to read Monster. Pluto's the only Urasawa series I've read so far, but I liked it a lot.

Wonder why they never made an anime of Pluto? Maybe the guys who made the Astro Boy anime would've complained, I guess.

cntr

Banned
As a rule, seinen series tend to be way better than shounen series. They can cover niche things and worry less about mass appeal. That goes triple when you bring anime into it.

It's like how books are usually better and cleverer than movies or tv shows.

Gekiga were the first manga from the 70s and 80s aimed at adults instead of children, the predecessors of seinen/josei. They're kind of like the equivalent of the first graphic novels in English comics.

Raxus

what is that?
Though it's probably because they don't have to appeal to horny teenagers (or young adults)

Graphic novels, manga targeted to adults. (I had to google it as well)

Even then it seems to be a relatively new term (to me). MetatronM will probably correct me.

Edit: cntr has me covered!

cntr

Banned
It's an old word.

The literal meaning of manga and gekiga are "funny images" and "serious images", so it's literally the equivalent of calling comics graphic novels.

Nobody really cares, people'd just say "seinen manga" or something nowadays.

caliph95

It's an old word.

The literal meaning of manga and gekiga are "funny images" and "serious images", so it's literally the equivalent of calling comics graphic novels.

Nobody really cares, people'd just say "seinen manga" or something nowadays.
*tips fedora*
ugh, I only read graphic novels/Gekiga not that kiddy books/manga, you philistines

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Every Fairy Tail arc.

These bad wizards are so unbelievably tough! They killed all these people just as strong or much stronger than us! They nearly killed all of us in fair, individual fights!

Outfit change, New opening.

Wait, we're all friends/members of Fairy Tail! We're going to rematch them in fair/unfair team up fights and win! Natsu will beat the big bad by eating his magic or some nonsense! Friendship! Don't mess with my friends!

caliph95

Every Fairy Tail arc.

These bad wizards are so unbelievably tough! They killed all these people just as strong or much stronger than us! They nearly killed all of us in fair, individual fights!

Outfit change, New opening.

Wait, we're all friends/members of Fairy Tail! We're going to rematch them in fair/unfair team up fights and win! Natsu will beat the big bad by eating his magic or some nonsense! Friendship! Don't mess with my friends!
You forget
I'M ALL FIRED UP
DON'T MESS WITH FAIRY TAIL
IMPOSSIBLE IS THIS THE POWER OF FAIRY TAIL
and Erza getting completely trashed then wins because she's Erza (i really want to like Erza she is the character i would love but damn FT)

Ray Down

Banned

The Pudding stuff?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
FT is on the whole better than both Naruto and Bleach as an anime because of it's unfaltering commitment to consistency. It never even comes close to the highest highs of either nor does it hit the basement of endless filler and poor animation. I'm not even always sure a filler arc is canon or not because it is all the same. The animation is remarkably consistent with the only real noticeable shift coming when they rebooted it. The music is great. The dub is great.

caliph95

FT is on the whole better than both Naruto and Bleach as an anime because of it's unfaltering commitment to consistency. It never even comes close to the highest highs of either nor does it hit the basement of endless filler and poor animation. I'm not even always sure a filler arc is canon or not because it is all the same. The animation is remarkably consistent with the only real noticeable shift coming when they rebooted it. The music is great. The dub is great.
I like watching the it becuase it's so bad it's good and the music and dub is great it's good background noise. It's perfect animu just too much loli but that's animu so ...

Regiruler

I'd rather have good highs with glaring problems than endless mediocrity.

In general I remember things more for their peaks and forget the bad stuff.

Finally completed Parasyte today. Pretty good series overall, but I felt like it had some focus issues as if the plot couldn't decide who the main antagonist and endgame would be.

The Sentai Dub wasn't bad. Like, I thought the guy they picked to play Shinichi was a miscast, but compared to Akame Ga Kill it was definitely passable.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Also FMA has the best female characters, but that's not really surprising since it's written by a woman.

How is everybody's Memorial Day going?

I saw five ATVs zooming down the street today. I hate them.
ATVs are the noisy abominations for people who don't want to ride motorcycles and don't want to ride a car.

HStallion

I think Oda just writes all characters as male and turns a few of them into women visually to vary things up a bit. They aren't even bad characters but often it rarely feels like I'm reading about a woman aside from the big old boobs or what not giving an obvious sign.

Edit: This comment is a lot dumber than I thought it sounded. Apologies.

I think Oda just writes all characters as male and turns a few of them into women visually to vary things up a bit. They aren't even bad characters but often it rarely feels like I'm reading about a woman aside from the big old boobs or what not giving an obvious sign.

Which characters don't "feel like they're written like women"?

I've never had that problem with any female OP character.

If you mean stuff like weird quirks and gimmicks, that's par the course with 90% of the cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom