• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R*'s PATHETIC port job: Bully 360 freezing (among other glitches) [PATCH NOW OUT]

Does the Wii version have 16:9 and 480p? I have a 360 but I don't think I'd mind the Wii version anyway given that the original was for PS2 and if the controls are decent - and also if the 360 version has bad bugs.

Costanza

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
*hugs Wii copy*

....actually hasn't arrived in mail yet, but will post impressions this weekend!
I'm tempted to see if Best Buy will let me exchange for the Wii version tomorrow.

Does the Wii version have 16:9 and 480p? I
Yeah

Kingpen

wow... saves me 50 bucks tomorrow. I was going to pass up Army of 2 for this but I think my decision is made now. I could get it for the Wii, but don't have any desire for another Wii game with Smash on Sunday.

Costanza

Banned
Kingpen said:
wow... saves me 50 bucks tomorrow. I was going to pass up Army of 2 for this but I think my decision is made now. I could get it for the Wii, but don't have any desire for another Wii game with Smash on Sunday.
I almost did decide to get Army Of Two instead.. wishing I waited :( I feel like I wasted 50 bucks now.

By the time they patch this shit GTA is gonna be out. Ugh.

Costanza

Banned
There's more people replying in that GameFAQS thread I linked to..

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=942199&topic=41776076

ok guys my freeze was during the halloweed mission also. glad to hear it probably wasn't my system!

OMFG had two freezes progress for nothing

WHEW! That helped me, now that I know I'm not the only one with freezes! =)

Mine also froze during the Halloween segment. It also froze once before that. Other than that I haven't had any major issues.

and another person saying it: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=942199&topic=41778463

I couldnt get the game out of the case at first idk what the deal is with that circle thing in the middle of the game it wouldnt let go of the damn game. I seriously thought i was going to break the disc just by trying to get it out and whats up with all the freezing? Too many people have experienced it. Ive had it freeze up on me and didnt even play it that long should i exchange the disc?

graywolf323

Gold Member
wasn't expecting this, good thing I only rented it GameFly

disappointed to find out there are so many things plaguing this game since I was really looking forward to it

Ferro

speculawyer said:
No. Just No.

Rockstar Vancouver is Barking Dog Studio after it got acquired.

Mad Doc is a complete different developer based in Andover Massachussetts.

Why do people like you just make shit up? I'll never understand that.

Edit: Report so far . . . no freezes, but the framerate is unsteady even during cutscenes. That is kinda pathetic on its own.

Like me?? wtf is that supposed to mean. It was just an honest mistake since I saw all the site posting Vancouver as the developing studio, you might wanna take another fist full of Prozac to calm down a little bit.

Rekki-Maru said:
i love it when people act like they know what they are talking about, then get owned..and edit the original post

:lol

I figured there was no point in keeping it in the post and misleading other people in beliving those 2 studios are the same entity.. .

Scalpel Knight said:
Does the Wii version have 16:9 and 480p? I have a 360 but I don't think I'd mind the Wii version anyway given that the original was for PS2 and if the controls are decent - and also if the 360 version has bad bugs.

yes...16:9, 480p, better color resolution/saturation, and a pretty much locked 30fps (IE better framerate then PS2 version)

Ferro said:
The studio in question "Mad Doc" is the Rockstar Vancouver studio after is got bought out and renamed. They are the same jolly folks that did the orginal game Bully. But on another note I hope they will release a patch soon for this, I really want to play the 360 version since I skipped on the PS2 version first time around ...

i love it when people act like they know what they are talking about, then get owned..and edit the original post

:lol

Holy shit, i just loaded my game after my first freeze and it froze after less than ten seconds. Damn, this is really disappointing.

Costanza

Banned
monkspider said:
Holy shit, i just loaded my game after my first freeze and it froze after less than ten seconds. Damn, this is really disappointing.
wooooow, fuck. I think I'm going to try the cache clear thing and see if that has any effect at all. if that doesn't work I'm going back to BB tomorrow.

Coverly

Wow, I was going to pick this up this week. Thanks for the heads up, I'll wait until they give an official statement on these issues..

Costanza said:
wooooow, fuck. I think I'm going to try the cache clear thing and see if that has any effect at all. if that doesn't work I'm going back to BB tomorrow.

Yeah it's really disappointing because anyone who read my posts in the official threads knows I am a total fanboy for this game. One thing i will say is that that the freezes seem to be completely random. I did the wrestling class again and passed it without issue. This kind of thing slipping past the QA is really fucking abysmal.

Technical issues aside, I had been really impressed by the quality of the port. I thought the environments in particular were beautiful.

-edit one other thing for 360 owners, the achievements in this game are pretty good. Neither too tough nor too easy. I am still satisfied with having purchased this version over the Wii version FWIW.

Played for roughly three hours got two freezes, so yeah it's common.

Oh well, at least the missions are short enough that I won't ever lose that much progress.

Hopefully it won't affect my experience too negatively, I'm enjoying it so far.

Well that sucks. I have a copy on the way and it will be here Thursday. Maybe they will patch it by then.

Costanza said:
Holy shit. FUCK THIS GAME. I just beat chapter one and didn't even get the achievement.

Oh wow. :(

BenjaminBirdie said:
Damn this sucks. I just bought it AND opened it.

I haven't even played it yet.
:(
I may still pick it up if there is some sort of patch.
Also, what is you GT Benjamin? I've meant to add you since you made the Rock Band thread.

Though the freezes are definitely annoying, the game is still playable (and as mentioned the 360 port has been otherwise quite impressive).

Costanza

Banned
Costanza said:
Holy shit. FUCK THIS GAME. I just beat chapter one and didn't even get the achievement.
Okay, I take this back. It randomly showed up when I started moving around in ch. 2.

Costanza said:

WOW. Okay, maybe I can't play the apologist any longer since the fun achievements were one of the main reasons I just used to defend the 360 version.:lol

-edit okay PHEW, that was a close call. :D

The game is still fun duders. And if it means anything my freezes were also during the Halloween segment, so maybe it's just buggy in that section?

Either way it's a minor annoyance so far, hopefully it doesn't happen anymore.

set4lyfe.jpg

Holy shit. A new diet, PS4 news, and a download of Devil May Cry 3? Well, I've got my weekend planned out.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Well, I've just had my first hard freeze. Locked up my box entirely. It was during the "egging" preppie mission where you fight the guys throwing eggs at you from the house in chapter 2.

So, it's not just halloween. What a POS.

The sound was also glitching really badly when I did the boxing match. There was a sound stuck in a loop during all three matches.

Ferro said:
Like me?? wtf is that supposed to mean. It was just an honest mistake since I saw all the site posting Vancouver as the developing studio, you might wanna take another fist full of Prozac to calm down a little bit.
Dude . . . you made a statement with details in it that implied you knew something. But it was a statement that was completely full of shit. Don't try to turn this around on me . . . I'm not the one that said something that was a complete lie.

I've played a few missions and I'm 2.47% into the game.

So far, no freezes. However, the framerate is a bit unsteady and there has been audio drop-out. Not a great port. Rockstar should not have let this out the door and/or I'm not so sure I would give Mad Doc another project.

However, this was a pretty big project . . . basically, someone had to create a version of Renderware from scratch, so it was not a trivial project. (The project was build on Criterion's renderware which most other publishers ran away from once they were bought by EA . . . who wants to give money to your competitor?)

Innotech

Banned
wait a second... a WII PORT is better quality than the 360 version? Did smoeone at R* get confused and fuck up the wrong version?

Andokuky

Banned
Developers just aren't used to 360 yet, and PS2 was the lead platform. Over time these PS2 -> 360 ports should start looking superior on 360.

When did this port come out? Today?

darkressurection said:
Thanks for the heads up Costanza, was gonna pick it up but I think I will just go buy the PS2 version on the cheap.
Yeah I'm starting to thing that an upscaled version of the original Rockstar game on the PS3 might have been the way to go. :-/ Damn, I can't believe I waited so long for this and it ends up being a substandard port. Well, the graphics are not too bad. Definitely not next gen, but the light & reflections stuff is there.

Costanza

Banned
Andokuky said:
Developers just aren't used to 360 yet, and PS2 was the lead platform. Over time these PS2 -> 360 ports should start looking superior on 360.

yeah

Andokuky said:

Dude, the 360 has been out since 2005. Mad Doc just did a lame job or was rushed or something.

Yeah, it came out today.

And as far as the game goes (story, game play, etc.) . . . I'm actually liking it so far. I'm just disappointed with this port. I coulda picked up the PS2 version for cheap and played on the PS3.

Top Bottom