• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do you still pre-order games, especially from companies with poor reputations?

kb8998

Neo Member
this is a whole new console not a upgrade like the pro was...

if theyre going to compare it to anything compare the numbers to PS4...which sold 250k in the UK first week

Microsoft is full of crap and lies

I used to do it because there was an off chance that the game might be sold out on release, especially if it's a game either expected to sell very well or one that would be hard to come by.

Now I do it for the convenience of pre-loading. Nothing better than being able to play a game at exactly 12am on release day, fully loaded and ready to go.

EdgeXL

I only preorder from a short list of companies. The reason I pre-order is convenience. I don't have a lot of time and when I do have a chance to play something I don't want to be waiting for a 100GB game to download. I want the game ready to go when I can play it.

Rellik

this is a whole new console not a upgrade like the pro was...

if theyre going to compare it to anything compare the numbers to PS4...which sold 250k in the UK first week

Microsoft is full of crap and lies

Wrong thread?

Vidiot

Amazon offers a 20% discount for preordering. In most cases they have release date delivery so I don't have to do anything but click a button. Having said that I preorder/ buy far fewer games now then when I was younger

forgedbygeeks

Neo Member
Research

If you make games, it can be good to check out different mechanics and genres of games. Regardless of whether people like some of the games from certain larger publishers, their games do still sell well in general and can set trends in gaming that are important to monitor. Waiting for price drops and such are not really an option.

Basically, its investing in your own breadth of knowledge.

It is also important to play both Great, ok, mediocre, and flat out bad games. I am endlessly amazed by how many bad games actually have a couple of mechanics that are highly innovative and worth either looking for in other games or considering as part of future designs.

I took advantage of a 40%-50% trade bonus at Gamestop a few times, which had to be put towards a preorder. Got a lot of credit flipping yard sale purchases to GS this year.

That includes Battlefront 2. I'm waiting a little longer to see what other changes they make before I decide if I want to keep it preordered.

K' Dash

I preorder when I want to preload and have the game ready to go at midnight.

With that said the only game I care from a shitty company was Dead Space.

Omoiyari

Companies that constantly disappoints you. $60 is a bit of money.

because gaming can be extremely addicting so people get addicted and the prospect of playing a game(and various miniscule bonuses from preorders) become enough for them to justify throwing the full 60$ at companies even before the game is actually complete, because that's how bad they feel they need it, because they're addicted.

I stopped pre-ordering games when most games started to require patches on day one along with several patches over the following weeks of release. That and most games end up on sale within a month too.

Why pay £40-50 for a game on release when I can wait a month and get a better version of the game and save £20?

Only game I pre ordered in the past 3 years was Frozen Wilds because I loved Zero Dawn, which I didn't pre order.

I'm just too cheap.

radewagon

Times I Pre-Order:

- The game looks really promising AND one of the following.
1. Overwhelmingly positive buzz (that doesn't reek of marketing).
2. The Previous game by the same developer was amazing.
3. Cool Collector's Edition.
4. Cool Pre-Order Bonus.

And that's pretty much it. I haven't Pre-Ordered an EA game since Dead Space 2. Definitely not going to pre-order Battlefront II. The first one was average and the whole "loot box" thing is something that I don't want to support. It's predatory freemium-style garbage that has no place in a full-priced AAA release.

Remeard

Because I can get 20% off plus $10 gift card at Best zbuy, plus extra $10 in trade in for an old game that's been free on PlayStation Plus.

So, all in all, paying around $28 for the new game. I'm fine with that for a game that I'm fairly certain I'm going to enjoy the hell out of and get a great nostalgia trip.

n0razi

I think all for profit companies are inherently evil therefore I cannot be dissapointed by any of them

Amazon offers a 20% discount for preordering. In most cases they have release date delivery so I don't have to do anything but click a button. Having said that I preorder/ buy far fewer games now then when I was younger

This is the best reason I have heard for pre-ordering

Why wouldn't you just shop around for the best deal once released?

ironmang

If it's something I'm 100% getting then I may preorder it several ahead of time for the preorder bonus and release day delivery. Sometimes there's extra incentive like the $10 credit/coupons you get from Best Buy. Really no risk to preordering since I can always cancel or return it unopened.

I only preorder games that I know enough about to be happy with. And I usually just preorder it the day before or a few hours in advance so I can download it and get the preorder bonus. If I'm not sure about a game, I will wait until a day after launch or until reviews hit the web. In those cases, a skin or an item isn't going to entice me to preorder the game.

I never did. There were few games that I was very much interested in, but back then there was so such thing as a preorder. I had to set my alarm, wake up early and just go to the store and wait.
Nowdays, I would never ever even think about preordering something. Fuck that. The only game that could make pre preorder a physical copy would be Half-Life 3, but we all know that it's never gonna happen.

Ridaxan

I haven't pre-ordered in years. I don't understand why people do these days.

When has a game ever been "sold out" in the last couple of years anyway? Go digital, it completely solves this problem.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
If it's a game I know im buying day one anyway, I always pre-order. Since im in Best Buy's Gamers Club Unlocked, games at launch always cost me $48 instead of $60 and in some cases like SWBF2, $38 once I get the $10 reward cert.

For $38, pre-ordering SWBF2 is a no brainer. I'll play through the campaign and then trade it in to GameStop for $30.00. Basically, an $8 rental excluding the tax. I can't complain about that whatsoever.

jadedm17

Best Buy Gamers Club unlocked, as said.

Mario was $48(-$12) + $10 preorder certificate.
I already had one so it was $38, plus a free coin.
Gears of War 4 was the same with a $20 mug and coaster set.

We all have our moral lines and if someone can look at, let's say, Battlefront 2 and the garbage they're pulling but still say it's worth $60 to them then who am I to say how to spend their money? Many spend a fortune on cigarettes to kill themselves quicker so games are harmless by comparison.

I wish people wouldn't support nonsense but I can only control how I spend my money.

manw20

Neo Member
  • Games I'm interested in I like to play on release date. Don't underestimate the "new" feeling
  • I really don't care about reviews, nor do I often read any
  • Ultimately, $60 is less than what I care about "losing".

highrider

Banned
I think Halo 3 was the last preorder I did. Buying games new is for sapps. Very rarely buy games at launch now, just like consoles it pays to be patient.

philm87

Got to be a special for me to pre-order now, particularly as there's so many great games I haven't had time to play. So pleased that Horizon Zero Dawn came bug free on release.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I pre-order through Amazon and then if I don't want them cancel last minute. Mostly because I always get them at least a few quid cheaper, but sometimes they go on at the wrong price, and I get games like Wolf 2 for £20 ;)

120v

games get discounted so quickly these days (beyond best buy and amazon's 20% or whatever it is) it has to be something i REALLY want to play on release.

i never understood those that rush out and pre-order every game at announcement, a game that's like 6 months off you know virtually nothing about... and then complain about it's shady DLC or season passes or it just ends up being not the game you thought it was.

MegaMelon

I tend to play a lot of jrpgs so I generally don't have any problems as far as pre orders go. Expecially since some of them have already come out in japan so any issues would be well known.

I pretty much never pre-order. I always buy games when they're $20 or less with no exceptions. Battlefront 2 is literally the first pre-order I've done since...um... Maybe ever? I seriously can't think of another one since I started gaming over 20 yrs ago. And the only reason I pre-ordered this is because BB GCU + pre-order trade in bonuses made the price like $27. I figure I could wait a year until it's $20 but why wait for $7 difference? If it doesn't hold my attention I trade it in and probably break even.

Generally I don't.
I'm rarely in a situation where I feel I need to play a game on launch.

A lot of that comes from mostly playing on PC as:
a) Digital games can't sell out
b) PC ports a very hit and miss

I did make an exception recently with Mario Odyssey though, but that was only because of an Amazon discount and frankly I couldn't imagine a situation where I wouldn't want to at least try it.

univbee

I went way off the deep end on pre-orders here in Canada, mainly because companies offered ridiculous pre-order pricing.

1. It's fairly common for Amazon, Best Buy and Wal-mart to run a promo during E3 where almost all pre-orders are 30% off or more.

2. Amazon has historically fucked up and double-applied this promo in some cases (e.g. they lower the item's cost by 30% and then give you an added 30% off of THAT price).

3. Between 2013 and about 2015, the US-CAD exchange rate changed substantially as did expected game prices, slowly creeping up from $60 to $80 in that time span, however a game that was shown at E3 in, say, 2013 or 2014 was up for pre-order at that earlier price (like $60-$70) and effectively locked in.

So this combination meant that it wasn't terribly uncommon for people to get a brand new pre-order edition of a game on day one for like $30 or $40 after taxes, when placing an order a week before release, or buying it off-the-shelf, meant you were paying $92 after taxes. And bear in mind that these orders could still be cancelled with zero penalty prior to shipping, or returned sealed for a full refund, or flipped on craigslist for a profit.

This deal has persisted so I was able to, for example, get Super Mario Odyssey for $57 after taxes when buying it digitally or physically later would have run me $92. The same thing will happen for basically every other new game coming out, I have $57 after-tax preorders for God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2, Days Gone, and a stack of other games expected in 2018.

We don't have Best Buy's GCU, however, and the Amazon Prime discount here is only 10% so I mostly just do a stack of pre-orders during E3, so a game that isn't known to exist at E3 and then comes out before the next E3 misses out on this promo.

GlitchF5

Neo Member
I *used* to care a lot of digital incentives, before realizing I was being manipulated easily.

... But I still really want the Monster Hunter origins armor... really badly.

BANGS

Banned
I don't preorder games. There's no incentive to, as games never run out of stock anymore. The only incentive is preorder bonuses which I think are bullshit and won't support, so I still have no real incentive to preorder...

The only time I ever preorder is for limited editions that come with physical items I really want, which do actually sell out. This is incredibly rare, maybe once a year tops. Like the pip boy from fallout 4, or the scotch glasses from yakuza 6... I missed out on the Sonic Mania special edition by not preordering, and I don't like that lol

Does anyone pre-order a game they think they won't like? RDR2 is my only preorder for now and I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Plus, Gamers Club Unlocked!

Last game i pre-ordered, or more like reserved a copy for in store pick up. Which i didnt go and pick up since i got the game digitally. It was Mario Odyssey btw.

Last game i pre-ordered with money up front was Dark Souls 3 Collectors Edition since it was fully booked. Only times i really pre-order is if it's a collectors item i want of a game i am really excited about and has a chance of selling out.

rickyson1

I only ever preorder things I know for a fact i'm going to buy on release anyways

so when I do it's more of a "why would I NOT preorder" type of situation when I can often get a preload and a better price than i'd have been able to find on release out of it

Joe T.

I haven't pre-ordered a game since GTAV for Xbox 360 in 2013. Even games I once considered must haves are no longer a sure thing for me, like Red Dead 2 (Rockstar being heavily influenced by multiplayer microtransactions has me on a wait and see approach).

Velius

Banned
I don't.

I have no idea what you all thought was going to happen with Battlefront II. I have no idea why you thought this wouldn't happen.

Never batted an eye at it. The fireworks now are inconsequential to me, just a curious thing to read in our community. I will never pre-order an EA game. Unless EA changes so drastically that I don't even recognize it.

Mass Effect 3.
Dead Space 3.
DRAGON FUCKING AGE 2.

Look what they did to Bioware. Bioware was once legitimately, and in uniform manner, regarded as the great hope of western RPG's.

What else can I say? Don't buy EA games.

Top Bottom