• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

Pretty good idea, actually very good idea. Hope they implement it, although I don't think it will solve the problem of assholes going to a lane after its been called

I PICK RIKI! ME MID OR I FEED!

Expanding on this idea, I think for the tutorials, they need to have a lesson on early game hero roles, then have it give you a quiz where it gives you a team of 5 heroes, and you decide where they go at the start of the match. Of course, they would have to be all really obvious ones, because many could have multiple valid answers.

Tried to play as Lion tonight and it was a massive failure. I couldn't last hit for the life of me and was completely outlaned, which snowballed into me being the primary target in all group fights...by the time I got his ulti, everyone already had enough health to survive it...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
No one I play with regularly has ever consistently done well with Lion. There is something about him that just makes him hard. Maybe it is just the range of his spells and his low HP, coupled with his slow speed and cooldowns.

No one I play with regularly has ever consistently done well with Lion. There is something about him that just makes him hard. Maybe it is just the range of his spells and his low HP.

His range is a bit maddening...but he's got an awkward windup with his normal attacks... I've never whiffed so badly with last hits.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
His attack animation is pretty good for an INT hero, actually. And his projectile has a tendency to do the damage before it actually hits, so it's faster than you think.

His attack animation is pretty good for an INT hero, actually. And his projectile has a tendency to do the damage before it actually hits, so it's faster than you think.

Yeah, that's annoying.

Lion is fun. His disables are amazing... But he's so goddamn squishy and has such a short range on most of his skills (except hex) that I die more with him than any other support I play.

Part of the trick to playing him well is learning to hit his spike without targeting a specific hero, as I believe it has a longer range when you don't target it? Or am I just imaging things?

I should practice against bots to get the timing down then..I just don't know of he's worth investing time into learning..both games threw me for a loop from the start...first game I went mid ( not my choice) against an experienced Lina and second game I started solo bot lane on radiant side against lich and tide hunter . I really should've just hugged the tower second game but felt the pressure of being outlaned and tried to go for last hits.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
His range is a bit maddening...but he's got an awkward windup with his normal attacks... I've never whiffed so badly with last hits.

His windup time is nearly identical to Lich.

Also, one thing I did not know is that Direct HP Removal effects units in Cyclone. This is why EMP works on Cycloned units.

Part of the trick to playing him well is learning to hit his spike without targeting a specific hero, as I believe it has a longer range when you don't target it? Or am I just imaging things?

You can only target a hero if they are in 500 range of you, you can hit them up to 700 range though. The spell will always go the 700 range though.

Boken

Banned
Played a few games any tips for a person that came from LoL?

Conserve mana.
Buy your items ASAP (while you're in lane)
Don't use P to access the shop.
Use the Courier's hotkeys.
An attack enemy command gathers minion aggro, rather than on hit.
Get used to the camera distance - many auto attack ranges are larger than you expect.
Tower AI is kinda weird. Other than weird targetting priorities, spells will not draw tower aggro.
Early game, minions will own your ass.

The biggest difference between LoL and DotA is that you're not expected to go back to base pretty much ever. Regen in early laning is key. If you find yourself running all the way between the base and your lane, you need to work on your lane sustainability.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
F9 is pause actually, P is unbound as far as I know.

Boken

Banned
I assure you whenever I tried to shop I would pause the game. Uchip will attest the same. I've unbound P so I don't know if it's still pause by default.

Rinku

Banned
Tower AI is kinda weird. Other than weird targetting priorities, spells will not draw tower aggro.
I love how the tower AI works.

Also as Lion, you shouldn't be last hitting, just denying and harassing (unless you're partnered with another support or you are mid)

vocab

That's unintended consequences due to the recent interpolation changes that also made character animations choppy. Hopefully its fixed soon. Lion pre od patch did not hit creeps before his projectile connected with a creep.

Phandy

That's unintended consequences due to the recent interpolation changes that also made character animations choppy. Hopefully its fixed soon. Lion pre od patch did not hit creeps before his projectile connected with a creep.

Is this the reason razor hits for damage about 3 seconds after his animation 'looks' like it lands. So annoying; great animation, but half the time you think you missed the hit and then the damage pops WAY after.

On heroes that are insanely squishy I recommend getting good at using forcestaff. Buy it, bind it to a key you're familiar with and double tap it whenever you're in trubs. It's insanely cheap and can be used offensively or defensively. Eul's is another great item, you can use it on your self as well.

I got hung up on a lot of ints because I read guides saying I should have sheep stick as my first item, but to get that requires either a lot of last hitting, pushing, or just dominating the other team. The guides never account for when you're in a stalemate or losing.

Also if you're on the losing side and just have no gold then go for power treads/fill all your slots with bracers (besides ward/tp spot, or buy wards and put them on courier). Spending gold on cheaper items is better than losing it by dying.

vocab

Is this the reason razor hits for damage about 3 seconds after his animation 'looks' like it lands. So annoying; great animation, but half the time you think you missed the hit and then the damage pops WAY after.

That one is strange period. It feels like it hits but the damage lingers after it hits. I really don't know what it is.

On heroes that are insanely squishy I recommend getting good at using forcestaff. Buy it, bind it to a key you're familiar with and double tap it whenever you're in trubs. It's insanely cheap and can be used offensively or defensively. Eul's is another great item, you can use it on your self as well.

I got hung up on a lot of ints because I read guides saying I should have sheep stick as my first item, but to get that requires either a lot of last hitting, pushing, or just dominating the other team. The guides never account for when you're in a stalemate or losing.

Also if you're on the losing side and just have no gold then go for power treads/fill all your slots with bracers (besides ward/tp spot, or buy wards and put them on courier). Spending gold on cheaper items is better than losing it by dying.
I have to admit during one of the matches I totally brain farted once I died consecutive times. It was hard for me to recover from such a bad start.

Zeus is a trolling motherfucker.

Me: "Lina and Tidehunter managed to blink away" (they were both at a sliver of health)

10 seconds pass
Zeus back at our base pops his ultimate and both Lina and Tidehunter go down. DOUBLE KILL

Sentenza

Jeez, I'm loving this beta so far, but I'm so afraid to be terrible that I can't find the courage to play with actual players.
I'm just learning the game with bots.

That may sound a psychotic phobia, but I got burned trying HoN and gathering an insane rate of insults for second at my first attempt to play the game.

If you plan to play public matchmaking, you are going to get insulted no matter how good or bad you play. Might as well learn to play for real while being yelled at.

Being competent or even good will not stop people from being (very) rude in this genre.

I had played lion in MM i died 20 times killed 1 duder, lion has so little HP and moves like a snail. It's almost worthless to be a good support CC hero, since i'm the first one to die. I think if i try a few more games with him I am definitely going early roam and use death touch to it's maximum efficiency early game.

I then played Razor the next game, OMG such a beast ended up with 3.5k health at end of game. What's the best way to use his AP drain spell?

Kapura

Banned
I had played lion in MM i died 20 times killed 1 duder, lion has so little HP and moves like a snail. It's almost worthless to be a good support CC hero, since i'm the first one to die. I think if i try a few more games with him I am definitely going early roam and use death touch to it's maximum efficiency early game.

Too little HP? Get a mek/bracer. Too slow? Get tranqs/phase/blink dagger. First one to die? If you got at least the stun off, you've done your job.

But you probably shouldn't be able to buy shit, because you should be buying wards with any money that you get through trickle. NO UR PLACE

If you plan to play public matchmaking, you are going to get insulted no matter how good or bad you play. Might as well learn to play for real while being yelled at.

Being competent or even good will not stop people from being (very) rude in this genre.

Yup...I've come to realize that a lot of the most vocal people generally don't have any idea what they're talking about...They just want to blame you when they died or when things aren't going their way (had a guy rage because he couldn't get the item he wanted even though we were winning). Just saying "I'm new..some feedback would help" generally keeps people off your back.

vocab

Dying first as support is expected. But its all about position. Supports are targeted first because they dictate the fights. That's why I encourage people to learn the game on supports because most of them don't need items besides boots. I don't care about your selfish ass dagon. Be a man and buy some wards.

Razor hits as soon as his animation ends, just like everyone else. But his animation touches the enemy pretty-much instantly.

Basically, the damage isn't done until he pulls his whip back off the target.

Phandy

Razor hits as soon as his animation ends, just like everyone else. But his animation touches the enemy pretty-much instantly.

Basically, the damage isn't done until he pulls his whip back off the target.

Yeh its the same with other heroes then. Its just a poor animation.

If theres one thing in HoN that was good it was attack animations. They had a really nice 'point of impact' feeling which was exactly when the damage landed. Even for heroes with slow animations/and windups.
Same problem I find with Spectre, its hard to feel when the point of impact is.

ksan

Yeh its the same with other heroes then. Its just a poor animation.

If theres one thing in HoN that was good it was attack animations. They had a really nice 'point of impact' feeling which was exactly when the damage landed. Even for heroes with slow animations/and windups.
Same problem I find with Spectre, its hard to feel when the point of impact is.

windupwindupwindup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom