• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, you got an Xbox one X ? Share your noise level

//DEVIL//

So, the point of this thread is to compare consoles and see if we have a defective unit or not.

the test is simple. Muted room ( as in you are alone in it and AC not working ). Muted TV. and you are 50 cm or less close to the Console.

share with us your gaming experience in terms of noise.

My experience ?

Model : Project Scorpio
Games tested: : Quantum Break. Gears of war 4, Halo 5. Forza H 3. Forza 7 demo
Coil whine : Yes. very faint coil wine i was able to hear if i am very close to the console. noticed it the most during halo 5 main menu screen.
Fan noise: almost none. its very quite in most games but i do hear it when i play Gears of war 4 in visual mode.

Again, it has to be in a Muted room ( as in you are alone in it and AC not working ). Muted TV. and you are 50 cm or less close to the Console.

sinnergy

So, the point of this thread is to compare consoles and see if we have a defective unit or not.

the test is simple. Muted room ( as in you are alone in it and AC not working ). Muted TV. and you are 50 cm or less close to the Console.

share with us your gaming experience in terms of noise.

My experience ?

Model : Project Scorpio
Games tested: : Quantum Break. Gears of war 4, Halo 5. Forza H 3. Forza 7 demo
Coil wine : Yes. very faint coil wine i was able to hear if i am very close to the console. noticed it the most during halo 5 main menu screen.
Fan noise: almost none. its very quite in most games but i do hear it when i play Gears of war 4 in visual mode.

Again, it has to be in a Muted room ( as in you are alone in it and AC not working ). Muted TV. and you are 50 cm or less close to the Console.

Scorpio edition, same games tested as you.
No noise what so ever, after the disc stops spinning.
2 meters away from my console and tv.

Coil wine : Yes. very faint coil wine i was able to hear if i am very close to the console. noticed it the most during halo 5 main menu screen.

I have the exact same experience as you. Some minor coil whine if the room is silent. The fan is very quiet most of the time but I’ve heard it ramp up during Gears 4. Even then it’s not bad at all. Still quieter than my S or either of my PS4 models under load. I’m only 4-5 ft away from the console.

Malcolm9

its not a test if you are 2 meters away from the console lol. I dont think anyone can hear anything from 2 meters far unless they have a vacuum cleaner type console like the PS4 pro or defective xbox one X like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp-u37dToKs

Can we stop with the vacuum PS4 Pro comments, as one this is about the Xbox One X sound/noise level, and two you are making it sound like every Pro is loud when that isn't the case.

//DEVIL//

Its Not? So you sit 50 cm away from the console?

My results are real use based. Most silent console I have ever had. And I have most, even a Dreamcast.

its called a test. not an impression lol

Can we also stop with the vacuum PS4 Pro comments, as one this is about the Xbox One X noise, and two you are making it sound like every Pro is loud when that isn't the case.

umm. i have tried 4 consoles. all of them when have a super loud noise under stress. specially uncapped situations like modern warfare remastered during match making menu.

in general. the pro isnt silent console. you can hear it when its under stress even from far

Leonidas

Very quiet when not playing 4K enhanced games. Did hear it when playing a native 4K enhanced title with an unlocked framerate(system pushed to the limit) but it gets nowhere near as loud as my PS4 Pro.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

umm. i have tried 4 consoles. all of them when have a super loud noise under stress. specially uncapped situations like modern warfare remastered during match making menu.

in general. the pro isnt silent console. you can hear it when its under stress even from far

My Pro has always been just as quiet as my XBO S and my XBOX. My Day one edition was a bit louder though.

cireza

Banned
Console is very quiet. I wasn't expecting this. My external hard-drive was making a lot of noise, I removed it and thought "well now I am going to hear the console", but it is actually very silent.

Triteon

Played ww2 for 5 hours straight on sunday, didnt hear the fan kick in once. I was amazed because sunday was pretty hot.

So consider me suitably impressed.

pieface

Scorpio edition.
Played Halo 5, Star Wars BF2, Quantum Break and FIFA 18.
Haven't noticed the Xbox make a noise at all.

Heath V

Scorpio Edition, near silent much like my One S and nothing like my Pro which at times sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

//DEVIL//

Scorpio edition.
Played Halo 5, Star Wars BF2, Quantum Break and FIFA 18.
Haven't noticed the Xbox make a noise at all.

Scorpio Edition, near silent much like my One S and nothing like my Pro which at times sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

if its not too much to ask,can we stick to the conditions in the first post ?

- Is your TV muted and room is silent ? no AC etc, ?
- How far are you from the console ? the purpose of this is to test. not impressions of your system noise level.

We all don't hear the xbox one X if the TV sound is on and we are lil 2 meters far from the TV.

Rourkey

I literally haven't heard a peep out of mine, its whisper quiet.

I could hear my S (just) I cant hear anything from my X

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
My standard edition isn't really audible. Halo 5 did not drive the fan into overdrive or anything. In a quiet room, the controller's force feedback rumble makes more noise than the console.

Just for fun, compared to my Elite's power brick, this thing might as well not be on.

My desktop kicks out more sound than the Xbox One X as well.

My Scorpio and regular editions 1Xs are virtually Silent. Totally inaudible 5-10 feet away when playing games or watching a movie. Can't really hear ANYTHING ever unless I get up close during a disc install.

Charlton3k

Neo Member
Playing through WW2, every couple of minutes I get a really loud windy sound, not sure if it's the disc spinning or the fans at the back. Keeps doing it, very noticeable. Consoles not that hot though. (Scorpio)

wolgoen

It has a fan in it that spins when it’s hot and stops when its cool.

Wear headphones or turn your volume up and there is no fan noise!

Simples.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Scorpio edition here. I can weakly hear my fan spin, but that’s what to be expected when there’s a fan in there. It never goes loud though.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Near silent, until it installs a disk, then its usual disk read noise as anybody would expect.

Every so often, I do get the fans kick in few 2ish seconds, just to vent the hot air.

Only real issue I have with mine is that while its near silent, I can hear the fans, which are a totally ok level for me, but they make this pulsing sound rather than a flat hum? So they go up and down in volume slightly?

But sound wise, its quieter than my original fat PS4, about on par with the S, and far more better than my monster PC :)

I give it five wibbly eggs out of five.

mindsale

Mine is whisper quiet (normal edition), but very loud - vent-mounted microwave fan level - when installing a game.

Incidentally I don't know if this is the X or AssCreed Origins, but the game crashed and even after multiple deletes and reinstallations will only show a black screen (other games work properly). I was 50 or so hours in, progression-wise, and enjoying myself.

Poppyseed

Near silent, until it installs a disk, then its usual disk read noise as anybody would expect.

Every so often, I do get the fans kick in few 2ish seconds, just to vent the hot air.

Only real issue I have with mine is that while its near silent, I can hear the fans, which are a totally ok level for me, but they make this pulsing sound rather than a flat hum? So they go up and down in volume slightly?

But sound wise, its quieter than my original fat PS4, about on par with the S, and far more better than my monster PC :)

I give it five wibbly eggs out of five.

The pulsing fan noise is super annoying. I have two Scorpio Editions and both do it.

Anyone who says the system is “silent” - lol.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The pulsing fan noise is super annoying. I have two Scorpion Editions and both do it.

Anyone who says the system is “silent” - lol.
I stood right beside mine with bf2 going sound turned down I could barely hear the fan.

Have 2 PROs both are Dyson level vacuum cleaners..its never quiet, you hear it always no matter what while playing gms. Watching netflix still hear a distance fan spinning. Sony didn't invest or cared to built nice tech for the Pro..do they even have MS balling lvl engineers ?

..X tho, generations ahead. Quietest console ever built..PERIOD.

MysteryM

I'm about a meter away (its the scorpio edition is sitting on my desk). Its not silent in that I can hear a feint pulsing pan but it's not disruptive, I'd have to be listening out for it to hear it.

The one on the other hand was completely quite.

Grinchy

Banned
From playing Gears 4 and CODWW2 so far, I don't hear the X at all. It makes the room really warm after hours of play time, but the system itself is quiet as fuck. (Scorpio)

Cheech

My Scorpio is the quietest console I've owned since... um... my Gamecube? Seriously. Quieter than my Wii, 360, etc... hell, my Macbook Pro makes way more noise under load.

I'm not going to play a game under load while keeping my ear 50 cm away from the system.. that's kind of a ridiculous parameter, because who does that? I can tell you I was rearranging cables while my kid was playing BF2, so I was close to 50 cm away, and I didn't hear anything distracting coming from the console.

And give me a break with the PS4 Pro not making noise under load. I know two people with them, and both consoles sound like my cheap Dirt Devil chugging through carpet under load. The Xbox One X might be $100 more, but it has an actual cooling solution and not something Sony cobbled together from the cheapest shit imaginable.

My ps pro is pretty silent. I wonder if people are mistaking disk drive noise for the fan?

I think it's entirely possible Sony did a quick revision to the cooling solution on those guys. Because the aforementioned systems sound ridiculous for a $400 console.

Bubba77

Scorpio edition. Forza and assas creed origins so far. Its whisper quiet. Very impressed especially compared to my ps Pro which sounds like an airplane taking off when playing horizon

Aggie CMD

I initially placed by X1X in a cubby in my entertainment center formally occupied by my Xbox One S. The Xbox One S was always near silent. The X1X was a bit louder, but not audible during normal gameplay - expect when playing Gears of War 4 in Visual Mode. The fan was really working and getting loud enough that I could hear it even when playing at normal distance with game audio at medium volume.

It sounded unhealthy so I decided to put the vertical stand to use and place the console on top of my entertainment center. Since then, even with Visual Mode on GoW4:

• Coil Whine: none
  • Fan Noise: low, steady hum at 50 cm - complete reasonable imo

y4moS-iZ21a_BL5XE1XlKAD4vLaUnE6fVnIWZef9PqqdgwT5vzRmLh_3uLAn8jWnrI_Z8RgWkZvjT-O3vdjTdlrZm4qvRS_88nLuLHb6WBnf-xuSIVsf4N0GJiKGnEouQf4xOL5WoXqAUQBSmftkc6vFtcSi56bzwPJqxxXGN8PwigCebyBYJzoewKwjbJzdX2LL7gETRghlrWg-WTmeA14zA

Halabane

none. whisper quiet. I even went over and checked during what I thought was stressful moments. There is heat coming out of the back but whatever is blowing it is very quiet. Should add this is unit is out in the open and using the vertical stand. I have only bought open TV cabinets with lots of airflow and no heat build is possible from the unit (nothing on top of it), for any of my consoles and they all are quiet. I think some people put them up against walls or underneath shelves and heat builds up and the unit is pulling in hot air and has to work harder which creates more heat....more harder work more heat...etc. etc.

Top Bottom