• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Monster Hunter World footage

I think adept has fewer i-frames than evade+ so it will probably exist.

It's about equal to evasion+2 FOR ACTIVATING IT, but then you're totally invincible while you're in the air until the running animation starts, which is ENTIRELY TOO LONG for invincibility.

Good riddance, adept. It was fun. And it was too much.

Toxi

Banned
I think adept has fewer i-frames than evade+ so it will probably exist.
The main advantage of Adept has is not the number of active frames, but how those frames work.

With a regular dodge, you only successfully avoid an attack if the period the attack overlaps your character is entirely within the window of your i-frames.

With Adept, having an attack overlap any of the active frames triggers a very long invincibility window basically guaranteed to dodge the attack. This makes early dodges much more forgiving; even if only the last active frame of the Adept dodge overlaps the attack, you still entirely avoid the attack.

It's an important difference, especially when dealing with slower attacks.

jahasaja

Thanks for teaching me. I will always be a noob when it comes to the deeper game mechanics of MH no matter how many hours I play.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Looks phenomenal. This game is needed like yesterday.

Do we have any idea how it compares to older MH games content wise ? Did they give any numbers or any hints regarding the roster of monters, armor sets and all ?

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member

I really hope the game isn't going to be much lighter in content compared to the others because of all the new features and QoL improvements and shiny new graphics. :/

Vuze

I really hope the game isn't going to be much lighter in content compared to the others because of all the new features and QoL improvements and shiny new graphics. :/
I think somebody said 16 maps which sounds nuts considering the size of the demo map, so I either got that wrong or the source was wrong. I think 6 is more realistic lol. Would be very surprised if this had more content than MH3 did.
But they would be silly not to hop on the paid expansion train with this; I would love for World to become a mainline title with steady addon support for like one or two years. Keeps the players engaged, game in the news and holds everybody over until the next big iteration. Who knows.

Kyoufu

I think somebody said 16 maps which sounds nuts considering the size of the demo map, so I either got that wrong or the source was wrong. I think 6 is more realistic lol. Would be very surprised if this had more content than MH3 did.
But they would be silly not to hop on the paid expansion train with this; I would love for World to become a mainline title with steady addon support for like one or two years. Keeps the players engaged, game in the news and holds everybody over until the next big iteration. Who knows.

Definitely not 16 maps, hah.

I'm not worried about content. DLC and G expansions will be opportunities to increase that.

Raide

Definitely not 16 maps, hah.

I'm not worried about content. DLC and G expansions will be opportunities to increase that.

I am hoping they go down the same path as MH4U on 3ds and have monthly drops of content, even if it's just a monster variant with a quest line leading to a new gear set, a regular update would be perfect for this new MH.

Sayad

I am hoping they go down the same path as MH4U on 3ds and have monthly drops of content, even if it's just a monster variant with a quest line leading to a new gear set, a regular update would be perfect for this new MH.
Capcom is all about games as a service right now, I'd say weekly/monthly events are pretty much guaranteed to return. They'll probably drop full retail enhanced versions in favor of DLCs/expansions since even in the portable days, they had no faith in those outside Japan.

Raide

Capcom is all about games as a service right now, I'd say weekly/monthly events are pretty much guaranteed to return. They'll probably drop full retail enhanced versions in favor of DLCs/expansions since even in the portable days, they had no faith in those outside Japan.
Yeah, it did fit in with the current direction Devs and pubs are going in.

Once World launches, if we had regular drops of content I.e monster variants, themed gear etc, that's how you keep people playing.

Yeah, it did fit in with the current direction Devs and pubs are going in.

Once World launches, if we had regular drops of content I.e monster variants, themed gear etc, that's how you keep people playing.

It is a good opportunity to actually have actual DLC that brings monsters and maps not originally in the game.

Toxi

Banned
Thanks for teaching me. I will always be a noob when it comes to the deeper game mechanics of MH no matter how many hours I play.
Honestly, there's nothing wrong with wanting the Adept Evade back. It was a mechanic a lot of people enjoyed, even if some of the old guard found it too gimmicky.

I mean, I want fucking underwater combat back, and a whole lot more people hated that than Adept.

Adept made the game too easy, but it was fun and looked great. Adept LS vertical slashes were pretty satisfying.

Overall I'm glad it's not coming back.

Toxi

Banned
I wonder if any of the special variants are coming back, thunderlord zinogre was really fun to fight.
Probably not. Capcom tend to not add subspecies/variants/deviants in the first game of a generation. Instead they come in the updated re-releases.

Although depending on how they do DLC in Worlds, I could see it happening in post-release content.

Ridley327

I think subspecies in the base game will depend on how big they want the initial roster to be. Considering how old the Raths are, one would think that their respective subspecies pairings to be present at some point, if not right away, but that might be distracting from some of the stuff that they're trying to sell upfront. They might want people to get really familiar with how the game is supposed to work before dropping something super end-game like the Silver/Gold duo.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's hard to believe people were saying this game has poor graphics. It looks so good to me. The style is more muted, sure, but let's be honest: the point of comparison is a game that uses like a 2x2 texture across the entire map. This looks stunning.

JP_

Banned
I kinda hate sub species.

I think deviants are neat. At least Lagombi, where it's bigger and has new moves -- makes it seem like a "real" large monster.

It's hard to believe people were saying this game has poor graphics. It looks so good to me. The style is more muted, sure, but let's be honest: the point of comparison is a game that uses like a 2x2 texture across the entire map. This looks stunning.

Seems like during e3, any PS4 game that doesn't look like Horizon will get that accusation

Maybe not in MHW 1.0, but they're probably very likely in general. Less work than a completely separate monster.

Speaking of 1.0 and versions like that, I guess since it is on a console that is more open to patching, they hopefully won't do separate G versions of the game to buy, but maybe just dlc to download. That definitely would be more palatable to console users instead of buying a newer version of the game.

squidyj

It doesn't help that it was up on a stage with God of War, Uncharted and Horizon.

FingerBang

I think something similar to Destiny would be great: A couple of big expansions twice a year or a huge one once a year.

The good thing is, they can just make a big update similar to Ultimate and Generations without forcing people to buy a new game. That would be cool.

Khezu

"mini" themed expansions would be cool.

Like a 3rd generation expansion that added a stage inspired by deserted island with a few retooled gen 3 monsters like Lagi, Ludtroth, and Peco.

and underwater combat

Well to be honest, the main reason why people keep saying the game looks poor is to try and justify why Capcom is "stupid for not putting it on Switch because of course it could run this game".

I've not seen a PS3 game that looks like this though, despite what the haters keep saying.

JP_

Banned
Now that monsters fight each other with pretty intricate interactions, I wonder if there'll be monsters that team up and do coordinated moves against hunters. Would be a cool idea for a pair of new monsters, but even rathalos and rathian could potentially be aware of each other and coordinate somehow.

Kyoufu

Now that monsters fight each other with pretty intricate interactions, I wonder if there'll be monsters that team up and do coordinated moves against hunters. Would be a cool idea for a pair of new monsters, but even rathalos and rathian could potentially be aware of each other and coordinate somehow.

I hope so. King and Queen should help each other out

The Silver + Gold arena quest in MHW needs to happen.

TreIII

Seltas + Seltas Queen already laid a pretty good groundwork for how this kind of thing can play out. It'd just really be nice if certain pairings like the Raths finally were able to get in on the act.

Or maybe even in the case of obvious enemies/rivals that would temporarily appear altruistic, before one obviously betrays the other when it's most advantageous.

I'm praying for at least 40 big monsters, but I'm not confident. Tri was super content-light and I'm worried this will be the same.

Kyoufu

I'm praying for at least 40 big monsters, but I'm not confident. Tri was super content-light and I'm worried this will be the same.

Tri had a good roster. Sure, it felt thin after coming from the previous games which re-used a lot of Gen 1 and Gen 2 monsters, but what they had in Tri was a good amount of unique monsters to fight.

I don't want 40 large monsters in MHW, because half of them are going to be the ones we've fought already. I'd be happy with a smaller roster that strives for quality over quantity. This is the 5th generation, let us have 5th generation monsters.

Toxi

Banned
25 monsters is good enough for me. 20 monsters is pretty low. 15 is gross, unless they make sure all the monsters are enjoyable to fight. I'd prefer as few gimmicky Elder Dragons as possible.

Peru

New monsters and a frest start were great strengths of Tri. It felt like a new chapter in the history of the series and we didn't need them to throw every monster and the kitchen sink in like they do with the more iterative updates. As long as the monsters are great. I do want a rich world with plenty of smaller monsters and life though.

Tri had 18 large monsters, but that includes Mohran, Ceadeus, Great Jaggi, and Great Baggi.

I still played it for 500+ hours.

I'll be happy with a starting roster as big as Tri's, but I do hope that dlc adds new monsters months down the line.

Kysen

I'm gonna miss adept, it's the only thing that made gunners playable for me(LBG). The armour handicap gunners have is brutal in g rank. Gonna miss brave HBG too and its insane dps. I guess I'll have to go back to hiding behind a shield.

Tri had 18 large monsters, but that includes Mohran, Ceadeus, Great Jaggi, and Great Baggi.

I still played it for 500+ hours.

I'll be happy with a starting roster as big as Tri's, but I do hope that dlc adds new monsters months down the line.

They went on to say that this is their largest MH project yet

Since the last game they made was MH4 i would expect the amount of content to be similar to the original MH4

Thats my guess anyways. Lets remember that this is 4 years in on a familiar engine for this team

This could be a pretty meaty first release

Top Bottom