• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony should refund anyone who bought Metal Slug Anthology

ethomaz

Banned
The PS2 version of this game does have inherent input lag, but it's not unplayable. I bet what happened is that there's lag in addition to what's inherent in the game (that either came about through the remaster, OP's HDTV, or both), and all of that lag combined adds up and makes the game unplayable-tier.
The game is not unplayable... that is hyperbole. The input lag exists but it is lower than RotR on XB1 for example.

TheYanger

The game is not unplayable... that is hyperbole. The input lag exists but it is lower than RotR on XB1 for example.

No, it really isn't, which is kinda crazy. I know I'm a meme for it, but you're free to look at thisthat I made back then. This metal slug video is noticeably worse, which is a bit nuts.

Theonik

What's strange the crazy input lag isn't that much present on MS6 in this compilation.

Only thing left is waiting for Arcade Archives MS.
MS6 didn't run on the Neo Geo and was a much later game from the mid-2000s. (run on the SEGA Atomiswave iirc) They had to actually port it for this Anthology I think? Maybe someone knows?

dawgparty

That's a bummer, Metal Slug is a blast. Have had a ton of fun playing these with people who aren't even into video games.

yyr

i'm loving how one guys literally posts a video with massive input lag then plugs his ears and goes lalala when people tell him it's input lag. ignorance is indeed bliss, i wouldn't be able to play 2 minutes with that much delay.

I'm guessing he's one of those "can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps" kind of people.

For anyone who wasn't aware:

Yes, there are games that have intentional input delay...where there's some sort of delay between letting go of a control and seeing the character actually stop moving. Metal Slug is NOT one of those. When you press left or right, the character is supposed to start moving immediately. When you let go, they're supposed to immediately stop. Other games that work this way include Contra, Final Fight, and The Legend of Zelda, but there are many.

The video posted earlier is absolutely NOT that and 100% proves that the lag exists, at least on their setup. Anyone denying this is simply wrong.

hesido

It is the same half-second input delay.

Blame the original PS2 version instead the PS4 emulator.

It got approved because it is how the original played.

Did they seriously need to publish such a flawed game, when less flawed games exist?

Anyway, different line of thinking. Corporates above buyers.

ADS

Here's some poorly filmed offscreen video of me playing Metal Slug Anthology on PS4 just now, with my controller and hands visible. I stop a few times to very clearly demonstrate the button press->action response time... it's instantaneous for me. No input lag.

https://youtu.be/mtTkN8LNft8

How can you not see the obvious lag here? It's not even subtle, it's a couple 100ms at *least*!

Haven't played Metal Slug on PS4 but I have a similar issue with Cluster Trucks.

The game actually shipped with no option to invert horizontal axis! In 2017! Wth, it was only 2.99 but I still can't get a refund. Unplayable to us inverted heathens.

Come on Sony, step up.

Have they fucking STILL not fixed this!?! I thought they said it was coming in an update ages ago what the fuck. That's what's been keeping me from buying it. Fix that god dammit!

I'm guessing he's one of those "can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps" kind of people.

You'd be guessing wrong. I'm guessing you're condescending and presumptuous.

Considering I can see and feel the difference between SFV on Movie Mode and Game Mode on this 20ms TV, I think I'm able to notice things that make a difference in how a game looks and how quickly I can act/react to things.

How can you not see the obvious lag here? It's not even subtle, it's a couple 100ms at *least*!

How did you come up with that number and what is your numerical standard point of reference for other releases, emulators, arcade/carts etc?

aadiboy

So, to summarize:
Metal Slug Anthology PS2/PS4 - bad
Metal Slug Anthology PSP/Vita - good
Metal Slug 3 PS4/PS3/Vita - good
ACA Metal Slug 1 PS4 - ?
ACA Metal Slug 2 PS4 - ?

How are the Arcade Archive ports of the first two games?

BNGames

The PS2 original was bad as it was. The ports that were released one by one in Japan on the PS2 though are pretty good.

DansDans

I suggest OP doesn't try the PS2-PS4 of Parappa The Rapper

That shits input lag is so bad the music finishes and your still pressing buttons

EDIT - not just input lag, its also a sync issue too

Considering I can see and feel the difference between SFV on Movie Mode and Game Mode on this 20ms TV, I think I'm able to notice things that make a difference in how a game looks and how quickly I can act/react to things.
I mean... maybe what you think is wrong? Considering:
it's instantaneous for me. No input lag.
Birds and flies would notice it more clearly than most in this thread, just chalk it up to variation within a species.

Blindy

Played this early in January and I just ate bullets because of the free continue which is a great thing of this game.....but there's no way in hell you can possibly get all of those trophies with such extreme lag. No way in hell.

It's not bad for the fact that you can continuously use continues so I don't think it should be refunded per say but I don't know how you can seriously try and put your A+ effort into the game because of the input lag either.

Syntsui

Specifically right now is it?

Close up:

https://youtu.be/EtpV_PA4eis

I think the Anthology input lag myth on GAF is just beneficial to selling individual standalone releases of Metal Slug games, like the $8 ACA release of Metal Slug 2 that just came out last week.

Dude, wtf. The input lag is explicit as fuck in these videos. You either played botched games your entire life or you don't really understand what input lag is and how subtle it can be (this case is not subtle at all).

I don't know if this is off topic, but if the PS2 version is poor, what is the best way to play the Metal Slug games physically?

I've always wanted to play them but they get released digitally and that's a dealbreaker so what's best :eek:

I always thought to get the PS2 version but if it's that bad then eh

Aselith

I don't know if this is off topic, but if the PS2 version is poor, what is the best way to play the Metal Slug games physically?

I've always wanted to play them but they get released digitally and that's a dealbreaker so what's best :eek:

There's a Wii version that was good afaik. I have it so gimme a few and I'll try it out I don't really remember

So the people who see it are flies and the people who don't are human beings?
Nah "more clearly" implies that it would be even more obvious to these beings than a majority of presumably humans in this thread. Perception is not something that's on or off, it's gradual and naturally some would notice it more than others as demonstrated by... well you, in this thread.

Get the PS2 disc. You've got people in here saying it's terrible, but then saying the Wii version was good, which has no hitflash detection when you shoot at anything. People are going with the flow, and it's basically just an asch experiment in here, at this point.

EDIT: I can't win this thread.

BQ62ChI.gif

Yes, I'm quite aware that you were attempting to imply anyone who won't say they see something they don't see is subhuman, and lesser than a fly or a bird, so that's why I responded by paralleling you to the fly you consider to be your spirit animal. I perceived your insult, you didn't perceive mine. I guess "just chalk it up to variation within a species" as you say.
Strange how you can perceive your misreading of a text as an insult. I'd say read again and you'd realize your mistake, but alas I don't think that's happening.

Drain You

Not even sure why there is any arguments going on in this thread. Fact of the matter is there is perceivable input lag to some. If you can't perceive it or are not bothered by it you should really just be happy, but that doesn't mean that it isn't there. Many times I don't notice input lag, minor FPS slowdown etc, I'd count that as a blessing lol.

Fancolors

Honestly, it depends on how much input lag bothers you. Despite thinking the PS2 anthology is a poor bundle of ports, I don't think it's impossible to enjoy them. Most people like the game because you can just shoot at things and credit feed your way to the end.

I love MS to the point of having memorized X and 3 well enough to get 1CC runs if the rng is generous enough, and that didn't stop me from having a good time with my friend and his copy of Anthology. I wouldn't touch it if I ever attempted a speedrun, but they are alright for a casual experience.

edit: alternatively, you could hunt down the individual releases the series had through the years. The quality between them vary tho.
The easiest way of getting the best experience is probably running them on MAME

Peltz

I have the standalone MS3 on PS4 and the Anthology, and there's definitely noticeably more lag on the Anthology.

EDIT: If you're the kind of guy that 1ccs Metal Slugs on the regular, "unplayable" probably wouldn't be going too far, but it won't be a huge issue for most people.
I am that kind of guy. (On my better days at least). So yea, it's unplayable.

There's a Wii version that was good afaik. I have it so gimme a few and I'll try it out I don't really remember

It's missing hit flashes on the bosses. So it's even worse than the Anthology.

yyr

If this statement is true, but you also don't notice the lag present in your own recorded video (especially when slowed down), then...I don't really know what to say. The best thing I can come up with is:

Maybe you never played Metal Slug in the arcades, on a Neo-Geo, on an emulator, on the XBLA X360 versions, on M2's fantastic PS3/PSP versions, or on any of the other arcade-perfect versions, so perhaps you're not sure what it's supposed to feel like?

Hopefully you get a refund. Contact support. The only PS2 on PS4 games I bought are both dark cloud ones and GTA Vice City. They were good.

Speaking of games you felt cheated buying,

0DNQY7.png

Meh...This thread reminds me that I bought the PS2 Classic Gradius V for my PS3.

Big mistake. The input lag is impossible to deal with. I was screwing up the most basic actions, such as not flying into walls in stage 2.

The best thing I can come up with is:

Maybe you never played Metal Slug in the arcades, on a Neo-Geo, on an emulator, on the XBLA X360 versions, on M2's fantastic PS3/PSP versions, or on any of the other arcade-perfect versions, so perhaps you're not sure what it's supposed to feel like?

Wrong on almost all counts.

On the first page of this thread I told someone that the standalone release of Metal Slug 3 they bought was the way to go if they absolutely need the best experience, but that Anthology shouldn't be on their blacklist just because some people say it should be.

In the video that spurred on your 'what a blind casual pleb' synopsis, Metal Slug 3 is directly next to Anthology in the XMB before I load the game up.

I also mentioned the standalone versions of Metal Slug 1 & 2 on PSP that you say are fantastic, but which I told the OP I got a refund for, since the slowdown in them was excruciatingly bad. I wanted to keep a Metal Slug fix handy on my Vita and save memory card space, but they didn't serve as the suitable replacement for Metal Slug Anthology I was hoping they'd be.

On the other hand, Shock Troopers was great on PSP, so I know I can tell the difference between playable and unplayable. The PS3 equivalents of those Metal Slug releases might be great, but I haven't played those to know. Did you play the PSP releases or just assume they're fantastic by association?

I started playing Metal Slug in the arcades, dumped a lot of quarters into 1, 2 and X whenever I had money and an opportunity to do so. I'd say I got at least 12 hours total out of that, but I never knew an owner who could set it on free play for me, never owned an arcade machine, or could ever afford a Neo Geo.

I was downloading Neo Geo roms and emulators in 2000 when we got a PC at home, specifically because the series was something I couldn't just buy at a store.

My familiarity with the series is why I was so excited to buy Metal Slug 3 on the original xbox, a system I didn't even own, but played on all summer at my cousin's house one year. That's the one I learned to nearly 1cc, until I get onto the mother ship and get completely rekt every time.

It's also why I pre-ordered Metal Slug Anthology for PS2 (after getting the 4 & 5 pack before that), picking up the only copy the local Gamestop bothered to order just for me. I didn't walk into a used game aisle one day going "Metal Slug huh? What's this? Looks neat, kinda retro. I think I heard of these before."

Haven't played any XBLA releases. Never owned a 360 for myself... but yeah, pretty far off base.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Haven't played Metal Slug on PS4 but I have a similar issue with Cluster Trucks.

The game actually shipped with no option to invert horizontal axis! In 2017! Wth, it was only 2.99 but I still can't get a refund. Unplayable to us inverted heathens.

Come on Sony, step up.
Play normal and git gud inverted freak 😂😂

I bought the anthology for less than $10 when it was on sale. I've played through the first game, and it felt fine to play. It wasn't OMG super-responsive, but I didn't really notice input lag when playing it. I played with the analog stick FWIW, and wasn't taking it too seriously (i.e. not trying to break any records lol, exploiting unlimited continues).

EDIT: Not saying it wasn't present, just that it didn't ever bother me :)

Not sure if you're based in the UK, What I suggest is that you could use the Consumer Rights Act card since it now covers digital purchases from any digital distributor. Will it work I have no idea as I've never had to contact Sony support for refunds... yet!

Give it a try and report back.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Here's some poorly filmed offscreen video of me playing Metal Slug Anthology on PS4 just now, with my controller and hands visible. I stop a few times to very clearly demonstrate the button press->action response time... it's instantaneous for me. No input lag.

https://youtu.be/mtTkN8LNft8

Specifically right now is it?

Close up:

https://youtu.be/EtpV_PA4eis

I think the Anthology input lag myth on GAF is just beneficial to selling individual standalone releases of Metal Slug games, like the $8 ACA release of Metal Slug 2 that just came out last week.

Uuuuh

uL4RbR7.png

Pressing left, character still in the process of turning right.

Dude.

Play your own video at 0.25 speed.

Here, I even made a gif for you.

ubxHJtz.gif
This whole exchange has been painful to read. From a video not including the biggest visual feedback (standing jump) to most of the gif showing turning animations which aren't a valid point to show input lag (the last few seconds of same direction taps are all that count in that), you're all terrible at proving a point.

I see the input lag. It could be worse, and it looks to be within the margins of playability, but it's there.

Not sure if you're based in the UK, What I suggest is that you could use the Consumer Rights Act card since it now covers digital purchases from any digital distributor. Will it work I have no idea as I've never had to contact Sony support for refunds... yet!

Give it a try and report back.

I recently got a refund for Pinball Arcade (Vita) from Sony due to what I perceived as deceptive advertising, so it IS possible. :)

pgharavi

Banned
On the Switch, ACA Metal Slug 3 has this weird thing where I press the fire button and half the time there is a delay in firing.

But I don't think it's input lag bcs I don't have the problem while jumping or throwing grenades.

This occurs docked and in portable mode.

Is this normal?

MTC100

Banned
No, Sony should not be selling games that don't work properly.
They don't care and don't have any refund policy in place sadly. With Steam you could have just returned the game immediately that would teach the publisher not to release half assed ports of something. I hope the OP didn't pay too much for a sloppy port...

Z O N E

So you're showing me that I can move my thumb to the other side of the d-pad faster than Marco can complete a turning animation cycle. This isn't input lag.

As someone who played Halo 5 while there was even the tiniest ms input lag, even I can tell that there is input lag in that from watching it.

You can find excuses all you like but it's beyond obvious.

Top Bottom