• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Eternals - Eternal Darkness Spiritual Sequel [Crowdfunding, Dyack, ???]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrowa

Okay, there's a lot of wishful thinking or something similar going on in this thread. Dyack is not doing this, because "Nintendo is internally developing ED2". That's non-sense and the people who think that only believe in it because they want it to be true. Don't get me wrong, it would be pretty nice if Retro or another competent team would give the franchise another go, but this isn't the reason why we're seeing this project. This is not some vengeance trip.

Dyack might be an egomaniac, but we've known two things for quite a while: 1.) After being in bad shape for this generation, SK wanted to go "back to its roots" with their next game project. Quite obviously that could only mean a comeback of Blood Omen or Eternal Darkness -- with the consensus that ED is more likely for a variety of reasons. 2.) After shit went down at SK, we've got pretty much a confirmation that SK was trying to pitch Eternal Darkness 2 for quite a while. They've built a prototype which according to reports didn't come well together and saw no publisher interest.

The latter part is important, since it implies that there very likely wasn't a new partnership between Nintendo and SK. Nintendo didn't cancel ED2 because of SK's legal troubles, they were never involved in the project to begin with.

Furthermore there's been no evidence that Nintendo's interested in doing a follow-up to Eternal Darkness. People were speculating that Nintendo would be working together with SK, after Dyack told the world that he wants to go back to the studios' roots. However, as we know now, "ED2" was pretty much the work of SK alone.
Renewing trademark is honestly meaningless too, since no company will just abandon one of their properties, even if they don't have any immediate plans for a new product in that line.

To make it short, we're seeing this project because Dyack apparently wishes to re-visit ED's universe for quite a few years. It's just the game they want to do.

A few things:
- The website already had 10.000 dollar of donations, but it was impossible to donate money. Strange.
- The counter said they needed 1,2 million dollar, but in the text it said 1,1 million dollar
- The team consists of 8 men right now.
- IGN should have info on May 6th, but its strange that the website was online (for a short time)

If we find out more you'll hear it.

What he's seen was probably just the dummy site they've used internally with a random nummer attached to show how it would look like in practice. That also explains the differences between the text and the counter goal: It's just not final yet.

I hope they improve the text. Especially the paragraph about the team is sorely lacking: Who are these people? And is this small team enough to make that game?

Now I'm not a lawyer or anything... but if it is proven that at any point it was developed using the Unreal engine, would Epic jump all over this?

As long as they are using another engine now, no. Designs are independent of an engine, even if the same designs have been used before, Epic has no claim to them just because of it. The models are still the property of their creators. However, it would be interesting to know if this project uses UE3. It's a new studio, Dyack isn't CEO: I doubt any charges against SK hold true against the new entity. But if this is indeed the old prototype, the question remains how the new studio got the content. After all, SK had to destroy their work done in UE3 (or their UE3 rip-off), they weren't allowed to sell it in the first place.

Ridley327

The description of the "sanity events" makes it sound like that they found a way of getting around Nintendo's patent, so they managed to cover that base.

:lol @ the $10k donation before it's even opened up

Dipswitch

Hmmmmm. I really liked ED, but SK had a habit of releasing games late. And in the case of the latter games, with severe flaws. That makes crowd funding a tad risky in this case as I can see them blowing through the cash in short order and coming back for round 2.

I'll keep an eye on this one, but I'm not going to be first in line with my cash in hand.

The description of the "sanity events" makes it sound like that they found a way of getting around Nintendo's patent, so they managed to cover that base.

:lol @ the $10k donation before it's even opened up

Maybe it's money from their own pockets? Or maybe it's the IGN money for the exclusive lol

Schnozberry

Hmmmmm. I really liked ED, but SK had a habit of releasing games late. And in the case of the latter games, with severe flaws. That makes crowd funding a tad risky in this case as I can see them blowing through the cash in short order and coming back for round 2.

I'll keep an eye on this one, but I'm not going to be first in line with my cash in hand.

I won't be giving Dyack a dime either. If we all recall, ED was slated for release on the N64 for several years, even appearing on the boxes of retail N64's as "coming soon". It went through several revisions and around 4 years development before it was sent out the door. Without Nintendo's involvement, I don't have much confidence in Dyack's ability to quality control his own software.

Hiltz

.... The development team only consists of 8 guys ? No wonder this game won't be able to find a publisher. How the hell do they expect to fund the game and get it out by Q3 2014 ?

FyreWulff

Actually looking at the trailer, there's symbols from Eternal Darkness in the ring around the logo.. so if this isn't approved by Nintendo in any way, it's pretty ballsy

edit: nm, 720p shows they're just similar, but not the exact same.

Castef

Banned
Don't understand but that trailer wasn't spooky at all. The monster was hilarious(looked like something from Splatterhouse) and the art style far too cartoonish.

Well, then it is a proper Eternal Darkness sequel. :)

(ok, I admit I consider it one of the most overrated games ever...)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The linked article says that Precursor Games has been born from the "ashes of Silicon Knights" - so has the company officially declared insolvency? I'd really like to know their current status. How much money did Epic get? What happened to the assets of SK? Does their phone number still work?

Regarding this project - I need to see more but I'll consider chipping in. I've scrutinised the portfolios of Silicon Knights, and poured over interviews to inform that thread. The saga of Denis Dyack is one of the best stories of the industry, a visionary in some ways - but also a deeply flawed man capable of great pettiness and arrogance.

In the end it comes down to the games. Denis Dyack created Legacy of Kain and Eternal Darkness - two experiences that will ensure I can never let go of the gaming medium. If he can channel that vision - and demonstrate a scale of humility to show he has learned from his catastrophic mistakes - and be upfront about the issues of patents and trademarks - then I'd love to play his next title
Pretty much my sentiments too. I guess I'm... cautiously pessimistic about the whole thing? xD I really want to believe the game could be made and be awesome, but Dyack is just such a mess right now... hopefully he learned from all his past mistakes. :|

jdforge

Banned
Actually looking at the trailer, there's symbols from Eternal Darkness in the ring around the logo.. so if this isn't approved by Nintendo in any way, it's pretty ballsy

They've also reused, albeit slightly tweaked the Eternal Darkness OST and don't forget The Tome of Eternal Darkness.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
They want $1.5 million lol

PC and Wii U

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

IGN can also confirm the following plot description provided by Precursor:

When Detective Paul Becker is called to one of the bloodiest gang massacres in Louisiana state history, only two survivors remain from a brutal conflict between two rival cults. As Becker begins his interrogations of the suspects, their combined recollections will uncover the truth about the ‘Eternals’.

Featuring an ensemble cast of heroes and villains, Shadow of the Eternals will span over 2500 years of history throughout Egypt, England, Hungary, and the United States. Players will question the perception of reality as they try to balance the mechanics of combat, magick, and sanity events to progress through the adventure.

Shadow of the Eternals will take players on a memorable journey throughout time; weaving historical fact with disturbing fiction to create an experience unlike any other.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't know how to feel about this :/.

The teaser trailer is a low blow in the nostalgia, to the point of me wanting a HD remake of Eternal Darkness. That church layout is identical to the iconic church from ED. The drum boom boom is right in-line with the musical themes. The green, the red. It looks like what you'd expect an Eternal Darkness sequel to look like.

But they don't own the IP, so how far can they go? They probably can't reference any of the three ancients outside of colour coding and symbolism. And to be honest, I was hoping any Eternal Darkness successor would recognise that the original three ancients are extinguished, shifting the focus to Mantorok and the mysterious yellow ancient. And they probably can't do that without tip toeing around an IP they don't own :/.

Plus, you know, SK's history is iffy. But this isn't SK, so...
And it's not on Kickstarter. Unless it is.

I don't know how to feel. Eternal Darkness is one of my fondest games from the GCN era. Ticked a lot of boxes for me, and I've wanted a successor for a long time now.

Schnozberry

Pretty much my sentiments too. I guess I'm... cautiously pessimistic about the whole thing? xD I really want to believe the game could be made and be awesome, but Dyack is just such a mess right now... hopefully he learned from all his past mistakes. :|

Should have went with Cryengine.

Dascu

The teaser trailer is a low blow in the nostalgia, to the point of me wanting a HD remake of Eternal Darkness. That church layout is identical to the iconic church from ED. The drum boom boom is right in-line with the musical themes. The green, the red. It looks like what you'd expect an Eternal Darkness sequel to look like.

But they don't own the IP, so how far can they go? They probably can't reference any of the three ancients outside of colour coding and symbolism. And to be honest, I was hoping any Eternal Darkness successor would recognise that the original three ancients are extinguished, shifting the focus to Mantorok and the mysterious yellow ancient. And they probably can't do that without tip toeing around an IP they don't own :/.

Plus, you know, SK's history is iffy. But this isn't SK, so...
And it's not on Kickstarter. Unless it is.

I don't know how to feel. Eternal Darkness is one of my fondest games from the GCN era. Ticked a lot of boxes for me, and I've wanted a successor for a long time now.

Well here it is.

Come on you negative nancies. Let's think positive. The unthinkable is happening.

Levito

Banned
So is GAF for or against this game?

Glad it's going to be on PC, hopefully this wont be as high concept as Too Human.

neto

Don't understand but that trailer wasn't spooky at all. The monster was hilarious(looked like something from Splatterhouse) and the art style far too cartoonish.

This, I don't know what is it but it feels off, I don't get the eternal darkness feel from the trailer

jdforge

Banned
Well here it is.

Come on you negative nancies. Let's think positive. The unthinkable is happening.

Do you seriously think they will raise the money? I'm a massive fan of ED and have wanted a sequel for so long, but I cannot support this venture.

SmithnCo

So is GAF for or against this game?

ibzAa1SUcXs4Kx.gif

Shiggy

Want to check this in the next few days as I don't have access to my notebook and my HDD. But from what I see on my smartphone right now, this trailer shows art assets and the church level of the ED2 prototype made by SK. Please let me check this again, perhaps someone else could say whether this is the case.

Schnozberry

Well here it is.

It is but it isn't. They can't even reference the best parts of Eternal Darkness. The characters and the ancients are off limits.

It's like dating your high school crush after she's had three kids and gained 40 pounds. Your dreams are in there somewhere, but good luck finding them.

Ridley327

Want to check this in the next few days as I don't have access to my notebook and my HDD. But from what I see on my smartphone right now, this trailer shows art assets and the church level of the ED2 prototype made by SK. Please let me check this again, perhaps someone else could say whether this is the case.

Yeah, it's definitely using ED2 assets; the two monsters they show are straight from the concept renders.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think they'll raise the money fine. They confirmed a Nintendo platform, and thus will have the Nintendo army backing them.

Well here it is.

Yeah, you're right. I guess I just want to hear a bit more about it first. Looking forward to the pitch video.

parski

I am pledging the shit out of this. Eternal Darkness is one of my favourite games of last generation and I have really high hopes for this.

ArjanN

Eh, they can probably just change the names and be fine. Eternal Darkness was just H.P. Lovecraft with different names anyway.

Same with the sanity effects, a number of games like Amnesia and Call of Cthulhu had essentially the same system.

I think they'll raise the money fine. They confirmed a Nintendo platform, and thus will have the Nintendo army backing them.

Yeah, you're right. I guess I just want to hear a bit more about it first. Looking forward to the pitch video.

I have some reservations, but I'm interested in what they have to show.

while nintendo fans have so far been very responsive to crowdfunding those that do fund projects (well most of them at least) i assume are likely to be pretty well informed, cant imagine many wanting to give dyack money

Thorakai

I assume the episodic nature of the game is to make it easier to be handled by an eight-person team. Even if Nintendo has some sort of problem with this I wonder if they would put the effort to shut it down, its not like the Wii U is swimming in a pool of games right now.

Schnozberry

I'm happy, yet sad. I wonder if this is similar to what they probably showed Nintendo.

Could be. Nintendo could still pick it up, as they might be the only people still willing to work with Dyack. They could also go the other road and tie this game up in court until it becomes financially impossible to release it.

Cuburt

Another bit of info that lends to the theory that they are trying to fund this now because Nintendo is working on Eternal Darkness 2 is that the screenshots people got of the site before it got pulled have the campaign for funding ending the week before E3.

Sounds like something they'd do if they felt there was a chance Nintendo would reveal an official sequel at E3, attempting to cash in on nostalgia while people think the game would never get a sequel.

Asking for $1.2 million while only having a team of 8 people yet a projected release date of Q3 2013 sounds ridiculous enough that a cash grab doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. Dyack's mismanagement of funds that cause all of Silicon Knight's legal troubles are bad enough to cast doubt on the whole thing, but besides that, there are just a lot of details that makes the whole project seem fishy.

Ridley327

while nintendo fans have so far been very responsive to crowdfunding those that do fund projects (well most of them at least) i assume are likely to be pretty well informed, cant imagine many wanting to give dyack money

It becomes a question of which desire is stronger: seeing Dyack in ruin, or getting the chance to get a follow-up to a generally well-beloved game. I'd have to think that the latter would be more important to anyone at this point.

In any case, I think this will easily make the goal, and then some.

It becomes a question of which desire is stronger: seeing Dyack in ruin, or getting the chance to get a follow-up to a generally well-beloved game. I'd have to think that the latter would be more important to anyone at this point.

In any case, I think this will easily make the goal, and then some.

its not so much people wanting to see dyack in ruin (though there is that too) but more his well known terrible track record of keeping to schedule and his recent legal catastrophe, just seems like throwing good money after bad

Mifune

Mehmber
What really concerns me is that the initial 1.5 million is only for the first episode. Sounds like it's gonna be an unfinished game no matter what. Talk of later episodes as "stretch goals" is mindbogglingly stupid.

That said, if I like what I see on Monday and I won't be charged until the goal is reached, I could throw them some money. If a pledge of five bucks gets you the first episode, that's not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom