• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront: The Revolution |OT| The City of "Brotherly Love" showing its true colors

So on top of the poor reviews the game is getting, it doesn't look like I'm going to even get to play the game today. Amazon shipped my copy via USPS and my mail has already been delivered today with no game.

Ricker

Ok so I played the first hour of the campaign,did not do any shooting yet,so it might fall apart then but the intro is promising at least lol...voice acting and all is pretty good...the graphics look like a cross between Dying Light and Fallout 4...on the X1,the lighting is very nice but unfortunatly it also makes the FR a little choppy,it's not Battlemage Lichdom bad,like someone asked earlier but probably Just Cause type of stutter in some area's.

Alienous

I switched to the multiplayer co-op mode and it's kinda neat. You gain XP to level up skills and get new skills. You get money to open supply crates to unlock new guns, attachments, and cosmetic items. You also have to get weapon parts from crates to upgrade your guns.

So you're saying they would have been better off if they sold that as a $25 download?

Because that's what I'm reading.

Tovarisc

No PC impressions yet? I haven't checked Steam but I presume it's out right?

Watching Dansgaming play this on PC and it's in... rough state. Increasing quality of shadows murders his FPS and game supports FoV only from 40 to 65 which is just bad. Also game seems to freeze quite often for few seconds here and there, most likely to load stuff as player roams environment.

Dan has i7 4790k and SLI-980 setup, game installed on SSD.

Based on watching I would say this game / port needed more time in oven.

Edit: Also games lightning engine keeps breaking down and causing weird artifacts, and over brightness. Weird bug.

SJRB

Gold Member
I really feel there's a decent game in here somewhere, but it needs a ton of patches to get rid of all the bugs and glitches.

The atmosphere is neat, I like the idea concept of the weapon customization, the music is nice. Story is nonsense, missions seem basic and the voice acting is subpar, unfortunately. But that's something I can deal with if the open world is interesting enough to explore, and it seems they got that part right. It's just such a random mesh, it lacks polish at every corner.

I really, really hope they can fix the performance issues, but I fear the worst.

FatalT

Banned
Ok so I played the first hour of the campaign,did not do any shooting yet,so it might fall apart then but the intro is promising at least lol...voice acting and all is pretty good...the graphics look like a cross between Dying Light and Fallout 4...on the X1,the lighting is very nice but unfortunatly it also makes the FR a little choppy,it's not Battlemage Lichdom bad,like someone asked earlier but probably Just Cause type of stutter in some area's.

It definitely falls off after the shooting. While I was going through the Half-Life copy beginning where citizens are being scanned and houses are being broken into I was pretty hyped up, even with the frame rate issues.

So you're saying they would have been better off if they sold that as a $25 download?

Because that's what I'm reading.

Absolutely. Even with somewhat bad gun mechanics the co-op is still entertaining. I pretty much played through most of the missions so it'll get a bit repetitive playing through the same ones now but I still like the skill system. Although there's 3 difficulties and I only played through on Easy because that's what it recommended with my character. The attachment/weapon unlock system is all RNG though because you open crates to get new things.

I'm getting about $1,500 a mission. Weapons crates are $2,000. Attachment crates are $1,000. Then there's the cosmetic crates but I haven't really opened any of those yet because I want more shooty guns.

I'm definitely gonna play more today.

GavinUK86

Watching Dansgaming play this on PC and it's in... rough state. Increasing quality of shadows murders his FPS and game supports FoV only from 40 to 65 which is just bad. Also game seems to freeze quite often for few seconds here and there, most likely to load stuff as player roams environment.

Edit: Also games lightning engine keeps breaking down and causing weird artifacts, and over brightness. Weird bug.

Oh yeah looks awful.

SkylineRKR

Weapon customization, open world premise looks pretty good. Too bad the game is apparently so broken.

Might get it on sale.

FatalT

Banned
I can't do it anymore. I played more of the co-op and it was entertaining but then I switched back to the campaign and I'm just done with this. Taking it back to Redbox, ugh.

Ricker

Weapon customization, open world premise looks pretty good. Too bad the game is apparently so broken.

Might get it on sale.

Yeah,really is...as soon as the open area's started with combat everywhere and all,frame rate on the X1 went bad most of the time...they throw too much at you at first,I kept dying trying to do all the little side missions on the way to the main mission.

But the worst part though is that freezing people where talking about when the game saves or tells you that something was added to your journal(cell phone) and what not...it completly freezes up to 5 seconds sometimes...how could they let that go...? I never saw something this bad...

I will keep playing a bit because some parts/ideas are well done,its just that freezing and execution,they tried to do too much I think,they need to patch this soon(especially freeze)

TheTrain

It probably is Vertical Fov so it's not that bad, actually you can go from 65 (Vertical 40) to 97 (Vertical 65)
Lightning bug seems a classic issue related to the lack of proper SLI support, unfortunately for me the game will unlock on the 20th so we will see!

antitrop

It probably is Vertical Fov so it's not that bad, actually you can go from 65 (Vertical 40) to 97 (Vertical 65)
Lightning bug seems a classic issue related to the lack of proper SLI support, unfortunately for me the game will unlock on the 20th so we will see!
When DOOM has a console FoV slider that goes up to 110, it's still pretty messed up that Homefront's PC version can't even be pushed up that high.

Does this game at least have a fun version of Philadelphia to explore?

I've always thought Philly would be a good setting for a game like GTA or Fallout.

Game totally reminds me of a fps open world but with the feeling of euro rpg jank as they call it. Some great ideas, but super rough around the edges and with some heart. Makes sense with the developement hell it went through.

nOoblet16

It's most likely vertical FoV.
Shadows murdering FPS is not that out of the ordinary especially for a CryEngine.

But it's probably just hat the game has poor SLI support right now causing issues with lighting and shadows.

TheTrain

Review from RPS:

And yet, despite all these enormous flaws, there’s so much to celebrate in Homefront: The Revolution. It really is a huge accomplishment, an attempt to step on Ubisoft’s toes, and in so many ways a successful one. Whereas Ubi’s games from The Division to the Far Cries have fairly ubiquitous-feeling cities/islands to explore, Homefront’s Philadelphia is really impressively varied. The shift in approach from a red to a yellow zone is both very welcome, and far more interesting. Getting to walk about in the streets, being extremely careful, but not having to shoot everything that moves, is great. Carefully negotiating your way through back alleys and finding routes up rubble-strewn buildings to reach hidden stashes, then creep across board walks to reach a distant balcony, jumping (when possible) for a ledge, and reaching an enemy target without having had to set off alarms is completely splendid. As can be picking them off one by one with your sniper rifle.

My guess is that Homefront: The Revolution isn’t going to score so well in the land of game scoring, because it’s quite so replete with issues. And that makes me sad, in a way, because there’s quite so much here. The story, while meagre in depth, isn’t bullshit for once, and the city itself is superbly designed. It feels like it could have been the step forward from Ubi’s stale format, had it only been given more money and time, better resources for AI, and a good few more passes for bugs, glitches and the like before release. (I’ve gotten stuck in scenery far too often, and once fallen out of the edge of the world. Oh, and you know when your phone goes weird and won’t stop telling you you’ve got a message you’ve read. The in-game phone has that bug. Argh.)

But at the same time, it’s one of the most interesting games in the genre, trying to be so much more than the usual icon hunt such open-worlds offer. Scripted sequences may be generally dire, but they’re there with a goal to offering yet more variety alongside the hugely different tones to different zones, the different tactics needed to approach different atmospheres, and weapons that can be a treat to use.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...otgun/steam+(Rock,+Paper,+Shotgun:+Steam+RSS)

That's what I want to hear and what I expected from this game!

Edit - Damn, I've just found the review thread!

It sounds like a game filled with potential but held back by serious technical issues. Seems like it might be a decent budget purchase in six months after about a dozen patches and hopefully the issues ironed out.

Does this game at least have a fun version of Philadelphia to explore?

I've always thought Philly would be a good setting for a game like GTA or Fallout.
Philly is the reason why I'm interested in this. Underrated city that I think would make a cool setting for games.

Ricker

The game is also very hard at first...I chose the easiest setting and they even say that difficulty wont be a ride in the park...it takes a while to figure how to play this,you have to recruit people that are going about the resistance stuff on the go in some area's,try and do some side missions,like photographing 5 Bike Stash...almost completed one of the early main Mission earlier but ran out of ammo...you have to crouch a lot,look at the red dot ennemies on the map etc etc...sometimes it reminds me of Stalker a bit.But those freezes,damn ;)

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
It sounds like a game filled with potential but held back by serious technical issues. Seems like it might be a decent budget purchase in six months after about a dozen patches and hopefully the issues ironed out.

That's what I'm hoping for.

antitrop

That's how I'm feeling. I'm sure sometime later in the year I'll be in the mood for another Far Cry-type experience, but not right now (just Plat'd Primal a few months ago) and not for full price.

Spoo

Just finished this game.

Man, the last third of it really takes a dive. For the first 2/3 of it, I actually found everything kind of passable if uninteresting. The kind of game that if it was 30 bucks, you'd say, "Yeah, that's fine." But there's a lot near the end that is so uninteresting, poorly paced, and overall just boring, I have a hard time imagining I could even recommend this game at a 20 dollar price point even *with* its myriad of bugs / performance issues patched.

I could write further details about this thing, but seeing as how this thread is all of 4 pages I think I'll save myself and everyone else some time: Don't buy.

I've put a couple hours in. I like it. The game looks fantastic. The city and safe houses are filled with detail and that lived in clutter that give the game that metro feel and atmosphere. The big issue with the game is the framerate. It's never stable (I'm on ps4) and thats a shame. Homefront is surprisingly hard. You go down quickly so it's much more tactical. The yellow zones actually have me using alleys and shortcuts through buildings to dodge enemies. The game also gives you a lot of freedom in taking towers and strongholds. I entered one from the ground and found it easier to go back out, climb a roof and jump over the fence onto the upper walk ways to shut down the computer terminal. I also don't get Eurogamers complaint about the resistance being this horrible organization while the kpa get a pass. Hell the first 60 seconds of the game has a kpa sympathizer having resistance members executed at point blank range. The game definitely has characters on both sides of the moral boundaries of war. Including a resistance doctor that doesn't want the resistance killing and having weapons stashed in his medical compounds. I mean I knew this game was gonna get trashed by the critics but I honesty think it's a better game then the previous one which I did not like at all. Once I got past the idiotic premise I was ok with the game. I just wish it ran better. It's a long shot but maybe Dambuster can patch the game to get it to a slightly more stable framerate.

I'm not sure I can play it much longer. The frame rate was actually beginning to give me a headache and I'm not usually sensitive to that sort of thing. Then add in the constant freezing anytime the game auto saves and it's all just a bit too jarring.

The shooting is just not fun despite the game revolving around it. You can't change the difficulty once you've started the story. Even on normal the enemies are very unforgiving and much more accurate than I am, which would be fine if the shooting were better, but since it's not It would be nice to lower the difficulty and just enjoy the experience.

If the shooting and frame rate were better, I'd love this game. I can see it appealing to fans of the Far Cry open world formula, which I am.

The game as a whole feels like it was trying to be Dying Light in a Far Cry world but ultimately fails at both. The game could have been something great had they delayed it another 6-12 months.

I think I'm going to trade it in to Amazon before its value completely tanks. GameStop is already only offering around $22 trade in value.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I'll finally be picking this up tomorrow after work at Best Buy. Don't have anything else to play and for $38 including the $10 gift card, I figured why not give it a chance? Reading reviews, impressions, etc., I was thinking about just picking it up and returning the game but after watching the video below, aside from the freezing/pausing/lag, the game doesn't seem as bad as what it's been made out to be. Don't know what difficulty the user is playing on or his options setup but he's playing on PC and doesn't seem to have any trouble with the aiming and shooting except for running out of ammo. Hell, the user is playing with a crossbow and doing well. I don't recall him dying at all and completes a few missions and a repeating random side mission in the process. It's the first hour and thirteen minutes of the game and includes the intro so obviously, there's spoilers in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl6hjInNBxs

Must admit that im looking forward to trying this game as there's just so much that's perfect for me.

Cairnsay

Banned
Help me GAF, Homefront is out in the UK on Friday and, despite everything,
I still find myself somewhat drawn to this game. I think its a combination of
being really interested by the games premise, and really loving the Far Cry open-world
shooter genre (hence why the first Homefront didn't really appeal to me).

For all the indifference/dislike, most reviews do tend to mention there being a good ideas
at the heart of Homefront, they just seem to be buried amongst a lot of jank
and blandness. Is there any enjoyment to be had with this game, or am I being crazy?!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Help me GAF, Homefront is out in the UK on Friday and, despite everything,
I still find myself somewhat drawn to this game. I think its a combination of
being really interested by the games premise, and really loving the Far Cry open-world
shooter genre (hence why the first Homefront didn't really appeal to me).

For all the indifference/dislike, most reviews do tend to mention there being a good ideas
at the heart of Homefront, they just seem to be buried amongst a lot of jank
and blandness. Is there any enjoyment to be had with this game, or am I being crazy?!
I think there is some fun here but ONLY on the PC. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT buy the console versions.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn. Face off will be brutal?
Heh. Tom's actually working on it. I sampled the PC version on my rig and it runs like a dream but...well, those console versions. You'll see soon enough. :X

Has a game ever ended with something like this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ion-acknowledges-its-own-troubled-development

Before the credits roll the player is shown a message from a chief developer acknowledging the problems during development.
I can't recall any other game doing that but I DO genuinely feel bad for the team. What a shit situation.

Honestly, though, I feel the biggest mistake they've made was designing this as a sandbox open world game.

It would have worked infinitely better (and been easier to make) as a open ended linear game in the style of Crysis 1. Huge areas, lots of ways to tackle objectives, but ultimately one end point before the next area. The pacing would have been better and the game would be easier to design.

As it stands, it feels like an unpolished Ubi-clone of a game mixed with Crysis.

It is MUCH better than Haze, however...

Ricker

I'm so fucking irritated at this game right now.

I finally made it to the 3rd district, and while the frame rate was still subpar, it wasn't unbearable to me, especially compared to the 1st two districts. The game was becoming a bit more fun since I had gotten quite a few of the perks unlocked.

But alas, I'm nearing the end of the 3rd district and I get gunned down, hit respawn and I wait, and wait, and wait. It never loads my save. I waited 10 minutes. Closed it and restarted again. Same thing. Restarted my PS4 and still not loading. Just sits on the loading screen indefinitely.

I really tried to give this game a chance, but with the piss poor frame rate, less than adequate shooting, and now this never ending loading screen, I'm done. Trading this in before it completely loses all trade in value.

I'm so disappointed because if this game performed even marginally better, I'd love the hell out of it. It should have been delayed until it was ready.

This game is an absolute mess.

Top Bottom