• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft: Brood War - Afreeca Starleague (Flash, Jaedong, Bisu, Stork)

Xeteh

I was one of the nerds that would stay up to watch GSL live during BW. SC2 was pretty awesome but it never really... captured the same back and forth nature that BW hit. I was just talking to a buddy the other day about missing high level BW play... I had no idea this was a thing so I'm now watching the vods.

Aaron

I was one of the nerds that would stay up to watch GSL live during BW. SC2 was pretty awesome but it never really... captured the same back and forth nature that BW hit. I was just talking to a buddy the other day about missing high level BW play... I had no idea this was a thing so I'm now watching the vods.
I thought Starcraft 2 was great to watch at first, but with each expansion it felt less interesting. Instead of trying to balance the strats, bugs, and unbalanced units, they usually either cut them out or neutered them into oblivion. They made it more competitive and less fun.

Accoun

Still watching the VODs. Holy shit, that
Rush vs herO
. The casters described it as
He's winning, winning, winning... AND HE'S DEAD
and rightfully so.

Also, as I've mentioned, I'm not hugely into SC, but bisu might have found himself a new fan.

Are we hiding results in spoiler tags for the benefit of people catching up late on the VODs? Because, well, let's just say you really want to adjust yourself to Korean time for second Ro4 match next week, Tuesday the 17th (7pm KST / 5am EST, if it's the same as usual).

Flash vs. Jaedong.

54-46!

Damn, Jaedong was straight up murder face.. really looking forward to Flash vs Jaedong now, more so than the final.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm 2 games in into Jaedong-Stork clash. Atmosphere is awesome, everyone is so hyped up. :D
Well, everyone except Stork.

edit - and done.
total-massacre.jpg

Finished LoV, started SCMR. Been watching Dark and Nerchiro competitive games over the past few months after never caring about competitive Starcraft before. Will need to adjust my eyeballs.

peakish

Missed the first one, second game was good tho. A bit sloppy from both players at times and Sea really should have dealt with the arbiter he knew was behind his lines better.

DieH@rd

Banned
1st game was quick one, and a bit weird.

2nd and 3rd were great [that high templar drop was so awesome]. If Best goes through, I think he will have tough time with Flash, since Sea is really not on his level. Flash is not only better in micro/macro, but also has prophetic ability to predict enemy movement better.

edit - It was nice set of matches today... but it was like watching high-end Code A. On Tuesday is Code S. :D

peakish

Pretty sure that Flash will take this looking at how they have played so far in this tournament. Jaedong only recently returned to the scene after all. Still going to be exciting!

Good god, game 2. Anyone missing this series and catching up on it late: set a big chunk of time aside for the positional endgame of your life. Incredible.

Moonkid

Man I love this game's aesthetic, the graphics and the sounds are so good. Even if I don't understand the strategies it's a joy to watch.

Lucumo

BW is still much bigger than SC2 in Korea or?

What do you mean, "still"? It was never smaller and the gap has been widening for a long time now.

Also, didn't realize there was a thread here for ASL2. Pretty awesome.

Don't know about a documentary, but its because blizzard prevented Korea from running the stuff themselves like they did for SC1. Blizzard basically mandated everything.
What are you saying? BW had that for a long time, sure. But Blizzard sued Kespa back then to kill off BW to make way for Starcraft 2, essentially forcing the game in.

SC2 is a very different game from Broodwar. Unless you played terran, your race was changed almost completely, and even then the tactics you have to employ have changed dramatically. So it's off putting to the old pros from the start. I don't think it's nearly as good as a spectator sport despite the improved graphics, and the skill level required to be competitive is insanely high. SC2 just asks too much of a pro player, while it didn't have much of a casual appeal to get that big fanbase in Korea.
Graphics are debatable. I, for instance, dislike Starcraft 2's graphics, as it isn't nearly as clear as those of BW. As for your last sentence, that doesn't make any sense. BW has a much higher skill ceiling while SC2 made a lot of things easier (auto-mining, smart-casting etc but also removing essential units such as vultures, reavers and lurkers). BW was also THE competitive sports in Korea, not even LoL comes close. So despite having such a high skill ceiling, people still watched and played (age and gender didn't matter) the game.

Top Bottom