• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft: Brood War - Afreeca Starleague (Flash, Jaedong, Bisu, Stork)

DieH@rd

Banned
3p91uk.jpg

This tournament has been a lot of fun to watch. Actually kinda made me want to play Starcraft again, but I've never played Brood War and I haven't played SC2 since shortly after HotS came out. I hope the VODs will go up soon, I only caught the last game.

54-46!

Future of BW is looking really bright, love how Sea got a bonus bigger than the second place award.

I guess the only issue is that of bringing in new blood that compete with the veterans who had the opportunity to practice in proper team houses, but if Afreeca is creating a team now..

Also now that BW is getting patched, receiving a modern match making system and an open source HD version is in development, maybe it will take off in the west again as well.

Arzehn

I hope they can bring back a long term team league that has games a few times a week every week. The sponsor spoke about some sort of team thing during the finals, but it needs to be more than just a few showmatchs.

Bring Proleague back!

DieH@rd

Banned
Mah gawd. I was curious about when the next Afreeca tournament will start, and it seems like ASL Team Battle Season 1 starts tomorrow! Team roster is out of this world [Jaedong elected no to play due to wrist injury], and they will even play a 2v2 map!

And what is even more insane, map 4 is THE HUNTERS. That's right, the starting map from original SC1 and the map I played the most with my friends. It's insane to me that this map will be used in Pro play in the year 2017. :D

Timings of first matches this weekend:

Saturday 10AM GMT
Team Flash
[Flash, Last & Rain] vs Team herO [hero, EffOrt, ZerO]

Sunday 10AM GMT
Team BeSt
[BeSt, Light, MlsO] vs Team Stork [Stork, free, Larva]

dl3WzSw.jpg

DieH@rd

Banned
Glorious 2017. You should go recently finished Broodwar ASL Season 2 when you find the time, it was pure gold. All matches are on YT.

peakish

Zero playing well as expected. Kind of wanted to see him vs Flash for the final game but the Effort rematch should be fun too.

Lucumo

Thanks for the link. Simply didn't realize they were doing it.

No problem. Korean commentary is always on that channel and it's always better since Artosis is terrible while Tasteless doesn't cast often enough (but at least he loves BW).

peakish

No problem. Korean commentary is always on that channel and it's always better since Artosis is terrible while Tasteless doesn't cast often enough (but at least he loves BW).
Ah, I didn't even realize that was a proper Korean cast, neat. I thought it was the BisuDagger + FlashFTW stream which also is better than the GSL cast (although I do like when Tasteless is there the Afreeca cast is usually more in depth with its analysis).

That's this channel: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2

Lucumo

Ah, I didn't even realize that was a proper Korean cast, neat. I thought it was the BisuDagger + FlashFTW stream which also is better than the GSL cast (although I do like when Tasteless is there the Afreeca cast is usually more in depth with its analysis).

That's this channel: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
Those two are just allowed their own thing which is good, in my opinion, as they put a lot of work into it (all the time before) while Tasteless and Artosis just came from the side. There was also some drama involved but bleh, since I watch in Korean anyway, that doesn't/didn't affect me.
There is also a Korean Youtube stream which has higher quality but that one is like 10 seconds behind which I dislike.

DieH@rd

Banned
Today's matches start 1 hour later than yesterday?

edit- very interesting 1st match, Zerg with lots of expensive T3 units

DieH@rd

Banned
What a heroic fight, Free's APM had to be insane for entire match. The entire 35min match was like a singleplayer cinematic in which Zerg floods in without stop. :D

DieH@rd

Banned
I just finished watching the Team Battle finals, and DAMN! Entire finals were great, but that last match destroyed me. Inhuman effort in defending against best player in the world.

Next showcase event is a 19th anniversary of Brood War with a Legends showmatch tournament this weekend [Flash, Bisu, Jaedong and Stork]!
http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/20569786

What a time we are living in! And there are also rumblings of the Starcraft Remastered.

54-46!

Season 3 starts tomorrow!

Season 2 VODs:
Ro24 Group A - 2016-12-04 - Bisu, Larva, Ample, GuemChi
Ro24 Group B - 2016-12-05 - Effort, Light, Rain, Force
Ro24 Group C - 2016-12-06 - Stork, Rush, Free, Where
Ro24 Group D - 2016-12-11 - Flash, Soulkey, Movie, Terror
Ro24 Group E - 2016-12-12 - Jaedong, Mong, Best, Hint
Ro24 Group F - 2016-12-13 - Mind, Hero, Iris, Maru
Ro16 Group A - 2016-12-18 - Shuttle,
Guemchi, Light, Stork
Ro16 Group B - 2016-12-20 - Sharp,
Mind, Jaedong, BeSt
Ro16 Group C - 2016-12-25 - Last,
Rush, Bisu and Hero
Ro16 Group D - 2016-12-27 - Sea,
Flash, Movie and Rain
Ro8 Match 1 - 2017-01-02 -
Bisu versus Sea
Ro8 Match 2 - 2017-01-03 -
Best versus Hero
Ro8 Match 3 - 2017-01-08 -
Flash vs Guemchi
Ro8 Match 4 - 2017-01-10 -
Stork vs Jaedong
Ro4 Match 1 - 2017-01-15 -
Sea versus Best
Ro4 Match 2 - 2017-01-17 -
Flash vs Jaedong
Final Match - 2017-01-22 -
Sea versus Flash

Syf

Banned
Afreeca is now starting up a clan league in addition to ASL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/522754-afreecatv-clan-league

It's small right now, but hopefully if it does as well as ASL is it'll grow.

Teams:
NeOx - Terror
P: Bisu, Stork, Shuttle
T: Sea, Flash
Z: Larva, Hero, Effort

Moo - Britney
P: Guemchi, Best, Rain, Horang2
T: Last, Mind, Mong, Shinee
Z: Jaedong, Soulkey, Miso

wGm - BJ Ginyuda
P: Free, Movie, Snow, Tyson, Jaehoon
T: Ssak, Light, Skyhigh, Rush, Sharp, Icarus, Center
Z: Hyun, Shine, Ggaemo, Beast aka Jatgirl

54-46!

Afreeca is now starting up a clan league in addition to ASL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/522754-afreecatv-clan-league

It's small right now, but hopefully if it does as well as ASL is it'll grow.

Teams:
NeOx - Terror
P: Bisu, Stork, Shuttle
T: Sea, Flash
Z: Larva, Hero, Effort

Moo - Britney
P: Guemchi, Best, Rain, Horang2
T: Last, Mind, Mong, Shinee
Z: Jaedong, Soulkey, Miso

wGm - BJ Ginyuda
P: Free, Movie, Snow, Tyson, Jaehoon
T: Ssak, Light, Skyhigh, Rush, Sharp, Icarus, Center
Z: Hyun, Shine, Ggaemo, Beast aka Jatgirl

This is pretty neat, but I would love to see a 3-man team league where you must have all three races. The teams would of course be decided by the players themselves, unlike the previous ASL one.

Top Bottom