• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Finally watched this on Amazon.

XwIFKKl.jpg

It's kind of hilarious how hard it tries to fit every first generation experience into a short TV movie. Being forced to go to Chinese school, hating Chinese food, being annoyed that Chinese New Year changes date every year, being embarrassed that your parents speak Chinese in public, etc etc. lol

I guess you can't really afford to be subtle with something that's so short though, but it was like a distilled primer on the Chinese American experience.

Today with a patient I saw in consultation in the hospital.

Me: Hi I'm Dr. (my name). I'm one of the neurologists, and your doctor wanted me to come by and see you.
Him: Hi. I'm a big fan of Godzilla.
Me:... okay!

Casual racism at its finest. He also apparently said some sexist shit to my resident too.

Wait... you don't like Godzilla?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
How many of you guys are Canadian, anyways? My branch of the family is basically the only part that lives in America, everyone else is in Canada (Toronto and some rural areas)

Every time I want to go to Pacific mall in Toronto none of my cousins want to go because it's no longer fun for them to gawk at stuff there >.>

I'm Canadian.

Since I've been accepted as my mom's PCA..... I've been trying to learn how to make soup, but so far I just can't quite get the taste right. Not a specific soup per se, but more of a general veggies and meat soup. I've tried 3-4 times now and it tastes too watery.

Anybody know how to bring the flavor out more? More salt? Less water? More seasonings?

StMeph

Meat contributes very little flavor to soup. Most of the body/texture of soup comes from stock, which comes from bones. For chicken, you'll want to cook them for about 4 hours, whereas for beef you can go for longer. It's not necessary to roast the bones or mirepoix, but you can for a darker stock. A lot of Asian soups just use whatever bones are on hand from cooking other dishes (often pork) and just throw that in a pot of boiling water with some ginger to form the base of whatever else you want to add in later.

For western stock mirepoix I would add to Sept's onions, carrots, and celery some parsley and a small bit of whole peppercorns. Leek too, if beef stock.

Meat contributes very little flavor to soup. Most of the body/texture of soup comes from stock, which comes from bones. For chicken, you'll want to cook them for about 4 hours, whereas for beef you can go for longer. It's not necessary to roast the bones or mirepoix, but you can for a darker stock. A lot of Asian soups just use whatever bones are on hand from cooking other dishes (often pork) and just throw that in a pot of boiling water with some ginger to form the base of whatever else you want to add in later.

For western stock mirepoix I would add to Sept's onions, carrots, and celery some parsley and a small bit of whole peppercorns. Leek too, if beef stock.

Damn! That's what I forgot earlier today. Shoot..... Thanks my dude.

Llyranor

I made a pork neck bone soup this week. I blanched the bones in boiling water for about 5-10 min, then let it simmer for 2 hours. I added starseed, ginger, onions, carrots and daikon, then added salt adjusted to taste. The meat was good and very tender. The broth felt a bit...lacking? It was still ok and I enjoyed it, but it felt like some of the flavor was lost. I meant to simmer, but it may have gone to slightly boiling at times (which I quickly adjusted down). I thought the bones would be enough to add a lot of flavor. Did I need to season it with more stuff, or did I screw up with the occasional light boil?

I made a pork neck bone soup this week. I blanched the bones in boiling water for about 5-10 min, then let it simmer for 2 hours. I added starseed, ginger, onions, carrots and daikon, then added salt adjusted to taste. The meat was good and very tender. The broth felt a bit...lacking? It was still ok and I enjoyed it, but it felt like some of the flavor was lost. I meant to simmer, but it may have gone to slightly boiling at times (which I quickly adjusted down). I thought the bones would be enough to add a lot of flavor. Did I need to season it with more stuff, or did I screw up with the occasional light boil?
From what I learned, good stock takes longer than 2 hours to make. My teacher told me her rule of thumb was at least 8.

It needs more time.. 2 hours is barely enough for everything to really break down into the soup..

StMeph

Home cooks also tend to severely under-salt food, which is important to flavor. If you taste salt, you've gone too far, but not enough will make everything taste bland and flat.

ahdurian

Me.

I live in Vancouver.

I'm Canadian.

I'm Canadian. Toronto area

BRETHREN!!

How many of you guys are Canadian, anyways? My branch of the family is basically the only part that lives in America, everyone else is in Canada (Toronto and some rural areas)

Every time I want to go to Pacific mall in Toronto none of my cousins want to go because it's no longer fun for them to gawk at stuff there >.>

it really isnt. actually i havent gone to PMall in like 5 years. i only went twice just for the Arcade

maomaoIYP

Wait seriously.

I see you around ALL THE TIME but I figured you just didn't want to join us. :(
Hahaha, why would I not want to join us fellow Asians? I'm sure you know I'm passionate about Asian issues just like you!

Edit: I just realized why I didn't know about this thread. I've almost never been into the OT community section. I pressed the wrong tab today and ended up here.

zeemumu

My Switch came in the mail today and Walmart hasn't cancelled my SNES Classic preorder from last night so I think I actually got through in time

Goofalo

Yoooo...... Jay Park got signed to Roc Nation?! That's fucking huge for any Asian American musician. Props to him 👏

Yeah, we'l see if anything happens from that. Asian-Americans have been signed to major hip hop labels before and not much has come from it. Hip hop has its own racism it needs to come to grips with, namely, gatekeeping.

Yeah, we'l see if anything happens from that. Asian-Americans have been signed to major hip hop labels before and not much has come from it. Hip hop has its own racism it needs to come to grips with, namely, gatekeeping.

If anything Dumbfoundead has the look and style to be more applicable for the US. Jay Park has the K-Pop look but the dude can sing and rap AND looks better for the general population. Dumbfoundead, imo, has the better rapping skills from battling and freestyling while Jay looks more consumer friendly.

I'm actually surprised Dumbfoundead is trying to appeal more to the Korean crowd. He's had decent success here in the states but, judging from numbers in my head, he seems more popular at Korea. Nothing wrong with that. Congrats to both of them!

Goofalo

Dear out of town Pokemon Go players:

Don't hang out in the damn alley when its dark in the city. Nothing good happens there.

Also, my stoop is my stoop. Not a community stoop. At 3 AM, when you hang out on my stoop and make noise, I have to come downstairs and turn on the porch lights to see WTF is going on. Don't get mad at me, it's my damn front stoop. At least I turned on the lights and figured out you guys were Pokemon Hunting, I could have called the cops, who would have cited you for trespass. Me not wanting to press charges would just keep you from not getting arrested, the cops will still ticket you. Or God forbid, I didn't recognize your Team Instinct shirts, and came to the stoop with a firearm. Because, fuck Team Instinct, Team Valor FTW.

You're welcome for the water and Red Bulls, btw.

Haha, that’s totally me too.

Not totally related but every time I see a recipe's time to make, it takes at least twice as long for me to make it and I don't know why. -_-

They also tend to skip some steps so..... That's where I spend most of my time on lol. "Ok I did this, that, and..... Wait wait wait. What happened here?!"

zeemumu

Woke up this morning to find several emails about charges being made to an Apple account that I haven't used in years with a card that I don't own being used by a family share that I didn't join for microtransactions for a mobile game that I've never heard of and doesn't even seem to be in english. Luckily, because I haven't used that account in years, the old card that was on file doesn't work anymore because I've since deactivated and replaced it. But there was a new card added that doesn't belong to me so now I'm on the phone with Apple tech support trying to get all of this shit cleared up.

Goofalo

The reader's poll in Chicago magazine named Duck Duck Goat the best Chinese restaurant in Chicago. I love Stephanie Izard, and I love her restaurants.

Chicago does have a Chinatown. A great Chinatown. WTF white midwestern people.

The readers who voted suck.

Erheller

The reader's poll in Chicago magazine named Duck Duck Goat the best Chinese restaurant in Chicago. I love Stephanie Izard, and I love her restaurants.

Urban white yuppies want to eat at urban white yuppie places.

There are dozens of Chinese places in Chicago I'd rather go to than Duck Duck Goat. They're also authentic, not "reasonably authentic".

Dear out of town Pokemon Go players:

Don't hang out in the damn alley when its dark in the city. Nothing good happens there.

Also, my stoop is my stoop. Not a community stoop. At 3 AM, when you hang out on my stoop and make noise, I have to come downstairs and turn on the porch lights to see WTF is going on. Don't get mad at me, it's my damn front stoop. At least I turned on the lights and figured out you guys were Pokemon Hunting, I could have called the cops, who would have cited you for trespass. Me not wanting to press charges would just keep you from not getting arrested, the cops will still ticket you. Or God forbid, I didn't recognize your Team Instinct shirts, and came to the stoop with a firearm. Because, fuck Team Instinct, Team Valor FTW.

You're welcome for the water and Red Bulls, btw.

Pokemon Go has been the shit this last month. I'm meeting a lot of cool people from the raids.

Also Legendaries were released today and it was INSANE. I'm not a fan of trying to organize 40-60 people though. But for the most part it worked out.

Fun game. Glad I stuck with it.

Quick

Banned
it really isnt. actually i havent gone to PMall in like 5 years. i only went twice just for the Arcade

Late response on this, but the only time I ever go to Pacific Mall is if I need a screen protector for my phone or tablet.

Then I'll maybe get bubble tea real quick before leaving as quickly as possible.

Goofalo

Pokemon Go has been the shit this last month. I'm meeting a lot of cool people from the raids.

Also Legendaries were released today and it was INSANE. I'm not a fan of trying to organize 40-60 people though. But for the most part it worked out.

Fun game. Glad I stuck with it.

I think it's cool.

I had other opinions at 3 AM and this morning when I had to wake up.

But, I still think its cool.

DDG is pretty good and probably something that yuppie foodies consider "adventurous" without getting outside their comfort zone. But honestly for the price point it's set at, I think Imperial Lamian in River North is way better, even though that's super over-priced too. I haven't been to 2 Fun/Won Fun, which just seems kinda obnoxious to me.

It's fine; Chinatown in Chicago is growing like crazy, especially with the development just north of there getting started so if more people go to DDG than Chinatown, it works for me. It's becoming more of an "Asiatown" though which I love. There's a bunch of Korean places there now plus one of the better Ramen places (Strings) outside of Mitsuwa.

Goofalo

DDG is pretty good and probably something that yuppie foodies consider "adventurous" without getting outside their comfort zone. But honestly for the price point it's set at, I think Imperial Lamian in River North is way better, even though that's super over-priced too. I haven't been to 2 Fun/Won Fun, which just seems kinda obnoxious to me.

It's fine; Chinatown in Chicago is growing like crazy, especially with the development just north of there getting started so if more people go to DDG than Chinatown, it works for me. It's becoming more of an "Asiatown" though which I love. There's a bunch of Korean places there now plus one of the better Ramen places (Strings) outside of Mitsuwa.

I don't like Strings at all. I just don't.

Bonchon in Chinatown has...weird service. But the food is on point. The KBBQ place there is sold too. I haven't been to the bakery yet.

Mitsuwa...I play a game there called "How long before I see some weeboo shit." and this doesn't include the bookstore.

I think my favorite ramen spots are Oiistar and Furious Spoon

I don't like Strings at all. I just don't.

Bonchon in Chinatown has...weird service. But the food is on point. The KBBQ place there is sold too. I haven't been to the bakery yet.

Mitsuwa...I play a game there called "How long before I see some weeboo shit." and this doesn't include the bookstore.

I think my favorite ramen spots are Oiistar and Furious Spoon

To each their own. Strings's textures are the closest I've gotten to the places I loved in Kyoto so I think that's what does it for me. Umai's is good, though they have other general good stuff. I like Furious Spoon okay but I'm actually kinda meh to Oiistar.

Ahjoomah's is good standard Korean food; nothing extraordinary but hits the spot. Daebaek is good but also kinda overpriced. Haven't been to this Bonchon yet but hopefully the lines have calmed down. Is the Tous Les Jour open yet?

Goofalo

To each their own. Strings's textures are the closest I've gotten to the places I loved in Kyoto so I think that's what does it for me. Umai's is good, though they have other general good stuff. I like Furious Spoon okay but I'm actually kinda meh to Oiistar.

Ahjoomah's is good standard Korean food; nothing extraordinary but hits the spot. Daebaek is good but also kinda overpriced. Haven't been to this Bonchon yet but hopefully the lines have calmed down. Is the Tous Les Jour open yet?

I didn't like the food at the Apron. I don't know why, but it tasted really off to me. Daebaek is overpriced, but I think they price it towards non-Koreans. Like San Soo Gab San has been there forever, so it still caters to the Korean crowd.

Bonchon lines were fine. But like I said, the service is really weird. My waitress, a non-Korean, kept trying to correct my Korean pronunciation of ddukbokki. I ordered it, and she said "Its ttokbokki. It is pronounced with a 't'" Being mildly annoyed, I pronounced it properly again, and she tried to correct me again. Then she asked if we wanted "traditional Korean cheese" on it. And upon asking her to repeat, she went into the long history of Korean cheesemaking. Then, she really tried to push us to order something, we didn't want to order and, I just had to tell her to get us a new waitress.

I didn't see Touts Les Jour, but I wasn't looking for it.

Top Bottom