• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Syder

Isn't Noble getting on a bit now? Surely he'll be the next big player to be replaced?
Tbh, that place is between him and Kouyaté, and Fernandes was very impressive at times last season. I'd like it if we could get a CM and CB in the squad to develop.

I've been rooting for Spurs to win the league since a couple seasons ago.

No other team deserves it atm. Except for Liverpool, perhaps.
Weird thing to say. Liverpool hasn't been in a title race since 2013-2014, how exactly do they deserve to win the league? And Spurs was beaten twice in a row by clearly superior opponents.

MrS

Banned
Neymar's goals were unreal vs Juve. Even Barca, as good as they are, can't afford to let him leave.

slider

Tbh, that place is between him and Kouyaté, and Fernandes was very impressive at times last season. I'd like it if we could get a CM and CB in the squad to develop.

Ooh, there's probably a discussion about Masuaka(?) and Kouyate for Cresswell and Nobes...

T-Rex.

Banned
After the slip I kinda just accepted that Liverpool won't win the league in my lifetime. I mean I'm only 23, but still.. that was some divine intervention bullshit.

Your point? Leicester was 20th place before they ended up winning the league the following season. Did they not deserve to win it?

Yes they did, basing it on that phenomenal season. C'mon man you can't say who really deserves it until all 38 games are played. Pool's football is more attractive than most sure but that doesn't mean we deserve the trophy.

West Ham have signed 31 strikers since 2010, 20 have scored less then 3 goals. Mad

That and the money spent on City's defense are just unfathomable to me. How have they not found something that actually works?*

*Mendy and such pending.

Your point? Leicester was 20th place before they ended up winning the league the following season. Did they not deserve to win it?

? I'm talking about last season obviously.

Saying that team X does or does not deserve to win the PL title of the upcoming season is completely pointless and ridiculous.

Beefy

Yes they did, basing it on that phenomenal season. C'mon man you can't say who really deserves it until all 38 games are played. Pool's football is more attractive than most sure but that doesn't mean we deserve the trophy.

That and the money spent on City's defense are just unfathomable to me. How have they not found something that actually works?*

*Mendy and such pending.

Problem with City is they let all their rbs and lbs get way too old all at once

Syder

Is it? i only saw the article. Did think it was a lil mad. Least you are getting Hernandez now though.
Don't get me wrong, we've signed a lot of bad strikers. A lot the time the one thing holding us back over the years has been a consistent striker. Either we've signed complete carthorses or our best strikers get injured all the time, see: Ashton and Carroll.

After the slip I kinda just accepted that Liverpool won't win the league in my lifetime. I mean I'm only 23, but still.. that was some divine intervention bullshit.

I feel similar, but in the back of my mind I hope and dream that one season it will go badly for the other rivals and we get our shit together.

Syder

Y'know I've always found it weird how people have this perception about that season that Liverpool 'threw it away'. I know they only won the league by 2 points but City were really good that year; Kompany, Touré and Agüero were just immense all season. Liverpool were just more entertaining to watch so City's consistency kinda went under the radar (remember Liverpool AND Man City both scored over 100 goals). Also, Chelsea should've been much closer to the top but for some reason it seemed like Mourinho didn't actually want to win, in a weird way.

I just remember results like that Cardiff game and even at the time thought it was a miracle Liverpool were still in with a chance of winning the league given how shite their defence was. They went on that incredible unbeaten run and even though they looked like no one was gonna beat them the fixtures just looked really ominous. It's such a stereotypical Chelsea thing, a stereotypical Mourinho thing to upset things and the 3-3 draw at Palace just shows how important defence is to a title win.

CrayToes

We can all agree we hate Spurs but it's hard not to admire what they're achieving under Poch. I wouldn't mind them winning at all. It would be good for the league.

I feel similar, but in the back of my mind I hope and dream that one season it will go badly for the other rivals and we get our shit together.

Somehow to me it feels like we'll win the CL before we win the league. Our big game form and all that. I hope we can make a good run of it this year, it's been too long.

DBT85

I would say that no team deserved a title that didn't win the title.

I would say there are a few players who deserved one for years of incredible play though. Zola, Gerrard, Carra etc.

You got no idea how much that slip meant to United fans. Seriously, anyone but Liverpool. All because you're close to our record. City are so far down the list they are easy to ignore lol.

TrueBlue

I would say that no team deserved a title that didn't win the title.

I would say there are a few players who deserved one for years of incredible play though. Zola, Gerrard, Carra etc.

It always saddens me that Zola left before the title wins. He was my hero when I was very young.

TimmmV

Y'know I've always found it weird how people have this perception about that season that Liverpool 'threw it away'. I know they only won the league by 2 points but City were really good that year; Kompany, Touré and Agüero were just immense all season. Liverpool were just more entertaining to watch so City's consistency kinda went under the radar (remember Liverpool AND Man City both scored over 100 goals). Also, Chelsea should've been much closer to the top but for some reason it seemed like Mourinho didn't actually want to win, in a weird way.

I just remember results like that Cardiff game and even at the time thought it was a miracle Liverpool were still in with a chance of winning the league given how shite their defence was. They went on that incredible unbeaten run and even though they looked like no one was gonna beat them the fixtures just looked really ominous. It's such a stereotypical Chelsea thing, a stereotypical Mourinho thing to upset things and the 3-3 draw at Palace just shows how important defence is to a title win.

I think Liverpool went into that Chelsea game on a run of like 12 consecutive victories (or something like that, am too lazy to look up exact figure), and then would have probably needed another 3 after that to win the league. Looking at it in the most black and white way possible, Liverpool did throw it away due to the manner they dropped points vs Chelsea and then Palace, but really they were always going to drop points somewhere in that run.

Really, the matches over new year vs City and Chelsea (when Mig made errors, and the referee was more favourable to City and Chelsea), and dropping points in the start of the season to Southampton and Villa were probably more damaging to losing out on the title, Liverpool basically had no room for error to be able to win it after those

Did you read anything? I never once claimed anyone deserve or didn't deserve to win the title. My response was to the guy who claimed X team doesn't deserve to win it.

? I'm talking about last season obviously.

Saying that team X does or does not deserve to win the PL title of the upcoming season is completely pointless and ridiculous.

But who are you to say what team deserve to win or doesn't deserve to win.

I think Liverpool went into that Chelsea game on a run of like 12 consecutive victories (or something like that, am too lazy to look up exact figure), and then would have probably needed another 3 after that to win the league. Looking at it in the most black and white way possible, Liverpool did throw it away due to the manner they dropped points vs Chelsea and then Palace, but really they were always going to drop points somewhere in that run.

Really, the matches over new year vs City and Chelsea (when Mig made errors, and the referee was more favourable to City and Chelsea), and dropping points in the start of the season to Southampton and Villa were probably more damaging to losing out on the title, Liverpool basically had no room for error to be able to win it after those

Rodgers threw the title away because 1. He didn't know when to defend especially against Mourinho and 2. He thought Gerard made a better defensive midfielder than Lucas. Suarez pretty much carried the team and when he left, it exposed Rodgers for the crap manager he was.

But who are you to say what team deserve to win or doesn't deserve to win.

i'm just another armchair football expert

but i think it's fair to say Sunderland did not deserve to win the Premier League title last season

same goes for Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal and Man Utd imo

one could make the case for Spurs but they ended 7 points behind Chelsea

So my extremely controversial conclusion is that Chelsea deserved to win the PL 2016-2017.

T-Rex.

Banned
Annoying thing is whenever we get our act together there's always one other team that has the season of their life. I mean fair play to Leicester for winning it, and they fully deserved to, but everyone else was garbage. 08/09 we were up against one of Ferguson's strongest ever Utd sides (seriously, that was some squad), and 13/14 we were up against a relentless City side that like us were scoring goals for fun, and had a lot more squad depth.

We threw it away in the sense that we'd managed to get in a position where all we had to do was come out of the Chelsea game with a draw (and win the remaining 2) and the league would have been ours iirc. Instead that slip, a freak miscontrol of the ball, by one of England's greatest ever players happens and then we lose our heads against Palace because we tried to make up the GD.

You got no idea how much that slip meant to United fans. Seriously, anyone but Liverpool. All because you're close to our record. City are so far down the list they are easy to ignore lol.
Half of my family is made up of Mancs, so unfortunately I do!

but i think it's fair to say Sunderland did not deserve to win the Premier League title last season

So my extremely controversial conclusion is that Chelsea deserved to win the PL 2016-2017.

If you want to get technical like that, then no team ever deserve to win anything. Because many factors could have come into play as to how they won it.

We threw it away in the sense that we'd managed to get in a position where all we had to do was come out of the Chelsea game with a draw (and win the remaining 2) and the league would have been ours iirc. Instead that slip, a freak miscontrol of the ball, by one of England's greatest ever players happens and then we lose our heads against Palace because we tried to make up the GD.

Half of my family is made up of Mancs, so unfortunately I do!

The worst part about that slip is that people were blaming Sakho for passing the ball to Gerard and putting him under pressure. If anyone paid attention to the match, you can see Gerard was asking him to pass the ball when Sakho was getting ready to boot it up field.

Moobabe

Yep, not sure why this is even a discussion.

In a one off game you could say "so and so didn't deserve to win that, they got lucky" but over 38 games the team that deserves to win the league will win it because they amassed the most points.

Beefy

@Sky_SportsBryan

Source in Spain close to Neymar: "Only a miracle will keep him [at Barcelona], he really has made up his mind to leave." #SSN

@SkyKaveh
Marca say Neymar will sign six-year PSG deal on £500,000 a week. Total cost £352m. £196m release clause + £156m wages

@Sky_SportsBryan

Source in Spain close to Neymar: "Only a miracle will keep him [at Barcelona], he really has made up his mind to leave." #SSN

@SkyKaveh
Marca say Neymar will sign six-year PSG deal on £500,000 a week. Total cost £352m. £196m release clause + £156m wages

I suddenly don't feel so bad about some of my FM buys.

So assuming the Neymar transfer actually happens, and it almost doubling the transfer record set by Pogba, how long before Neymar's record is broken?

It seems like such an obscene number that part of me wonders if it will ever be broken.

Moobabe

So assuming the Neymar transfer actually happens, and it almost doubling the transfer record set by Pogba, how long before Neymar's record is broken?

It seems like such an obscene number that part of me wonders if it will ever be broken.

Not unless Ronaldo or Messi goes to China

Beefy

Barca fucked up by paying their front three way too much. Should get rid of Saurez or Messi and keep Neymar and make him the star.

Top Bottom