• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The story of The Alliance Alive (3DS) is by Suikoden creator Yoshitaka Murayama

Tiu Neo

I don't like that the announcement for EU only mentions an Eshop release while North America will get a physical release. I hope it's a mistake. Because press release mentions that you can pre-order the game in EU as well...

At this point, I would be happy even if it was an eshop only release...

That said, I hope EU also gets their physical release. I mean, at least it's a bit more likely, since Atlus does have a European office, right?

RpgN

At this point, I would be happy even if it was an eshop only release...

That said, I hope EU also gets their physical release. I mean, at least it's a bit more likely, since Atlus does have a European office, right?

This is what worries me. Atlus having a European office doesn't automatically mean that we will get physical releases all the time. Small companies usually opt to release digital releases because they don't have the resources to do physical. Their previous partners (NIS, Deep Silver) can always deliver physical versions.

The Alliance Alive being digital is a big shame, but if most future releases also become digital only (new etrian odyssey, etrian mystery dungeon 2, persona Q), then I will really get pissed.

I've contacted Atlus USA through twitter with no reply yet. I hope they clear up the situation soon along with their distribution plans going forward.

Yeshua

Great news, really happy we will get that game.

As for the European release Gematsu got confirmation from Atlus that we are only getting a digital release. Gematsu

RpgN

This is not good...I hope this is an exception for being an unknown IP. Other 3DS games better not get affected...I need to complete my EO physical collection.

Yeshua

I think it's digital only because the IP is unknown, the interest seem low (otherwise I think there would be a new thread, though a digital only release in Europe doesn't help), it's unlikely to get a sequel and the IP isn't their.

And surely they didn't open an office in London just so they can release digital only game in Europe, they have done already done that for several games since some years.

I knew nothing about this game 30 minutes ago. Hopped on YouTube and there's an English review of the Japanese version by Otaku Overdrive and I'm interested in playing it now. Looks really interesting, especially the ways they altered the combat and character improvement systems from Legend of Legacy.

Here's the link if anyone wants to watch it: https://youtu.be/1fXrsuayWv4

ETA: Spoiler Warning, obviously. It contains a scene of the first major event in the game and the consequences of that event. Not sure how well-known that is.

Yeshua

So excited it's coming over! Have there been any impressions on Gaf yet?

By Sinople in this very thread in page 2.

I knew nothing about this game 30 minutes ago. Hopped on YouTube and there's an English review of the Japanese version by Otaku Overdrive and I'm interested in playing it now. Looks really interesting, especially the ways they altered the combat and character improvement systems from Legend of Legacy.

Here's the link if anyone wants to watch it: https://youtu.be/1fXrsuayWv4

ETA: Spoiler Warning, obviously. It contains a scene of the first major event in the game and the consequences of that event. Not sure how well-known that is.

Thanks, never saw that review, it's quite good, though it did spoil me a bit on Ursula and Galil story.

staen

alliance_alive_glamshot.png

Atlus has announced a The Alliance Alive Launch Edition for the Americas.

First-print copies and pre-orders of The Alliance Alive will be the launch edition of the game, which includes an exclusive CD with 20 tracks, art book with more than 30 pages of detailed illustrations, and a Robbins penguin key chain.

https://gematsu.com/2017/10/allianc...s-first-character-trailer#Dk1lzdIRjeA0xufA.99

I'm glad we're getting a 20 track CD like the Japanese release rather than those 5 track samplers we tend to get nowadays. There is also a new character trailer. They changed Ursula's name to Azura for some reason.

OuterLimits

Christ. Never imagined I would be interested in 3DS games this long after the Switch release. Quite a few good ones have released recently, or coming in the near future.

kunonabi

Christ. Never imagined I would be interested in 3DS games this long after the Switch release. Quite a few good ones have released recently, or coming in the near future.

Yup, we got style savvy for christmas and strange journey, radiant historia, a new jake hunter, the sushi game, and this for next year already. Im going to be working through my 3ds library well into the switch lifespan.

Guessing this will be my last 3DS purchase. Will Nintendo start bringing smaller budget RPGs to Switch with 3DS riding off into sunset?

staen

Unboxing of launch edition:

Disappointed that the artbook isn't a hardcover like The Legend of Legacy's, but the board game on the reverse side of the cover art is neat.

NovumAngel

Banned
Unboxing of launch edition:

Disappointed that the artbook isn't a hardcover like The Legend of Legacy's, but the board game on the reverse side of the cover art is neat.

I'm even more disappointed as a European, the game costs the same but it's digital only.

Are there any impressions of this? I watched a video early and it reminded me of Final Fantasy II in terms of the skill leveling.

staen

I'm even more disappointed as a European, the game costs the same but it's digital only.

Are there any impressions of this? I watched a video early and it reminded me of Final Fantasy II in terms of the skill leveling.

There's a demo up on NA/EU 3ds eshop so you should give that a go. Sinople also posted some impressions in this thread.

Import reviews:

(8.1/10) https://www.jrpgreview.com/the-alliance-alive.html

“Favorite original IP that I have played on the 3DS”: https://subcultureimpression.wordpr...mpressions-the-essential-90s-rpg-alive-again/

Rough (google?) translation of Famitsu review(34/40): https://www.rpgsite.net/news/5693-c...eviewers-have-to-say-about-the-alliance-alive

Very positive video review:

Also, a note on the leveling system. The leveling system is ripped off inspired by SaGa's, which is similar to but slightly different from FFII's. In FFII, you basically had an invisible experience meter tying stat increases to certain actions(eg weapon skill and weapon usage). This meant a lot of repetition for increasing stats. In SaGa, there is a chance for stat increases every single battle but the probability is affected by things like your current stats and the strength of the enemies. If you're worried about it being too much like FFII, I've found stat increases in SaGa games usually come about naturally as I progress. Alliance Alive also introduces talent points that you earn in every battle which can be invested in talents that increases your chances for stat gains/learning new skills.

staen

I know there isn't much interest in a 3DS jrpg in 2018, but is anyone here getting the game? Comes out tomorrow.

kunonabi

I know there isn't much interest in a 3DS jrpg in 2018, but is anyone here getting the game? Comes out tomorrow.

My copy from best buy shows up tomorrow. I probably wont get to it for at least a year though since im swimming in 3ds games right now.

NovumAngel

Banned
It went up on the eshop here at midnight, so I had it downloading this morning and it's ready to go.

Is it worth making a small OT for it, or are people happy with using this thread?

staen

It went up on the eshop here at midnight, so I had it downloading this morning and it's ready to go.

Is it worth making a small OT for it, or are people happy with using this thread?

If you want to do one, go for it! It might just be me and you posting in there though. Also, kunonabi might post in it a year from now!

OT title suggestion: The Legacy Lives On

Ordered a physical copy last night so don't think I'll receive it until sometime later this week.

NovumAngel

Banned
If you want to do one, go for it! It might just be me and you posting in there though. Also, kunonabi might post in it a year from now!

OT title suggestion: The Legacy Lives On

Ordered a physical copy last night so don't think I'll receive it until sometime later this week.
Quick and dirty OT made: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-alliance-alive-ot-the-legacy-lives-on.1461683/

Yeah I kinda guessed that not a lot of people would hop on this game but I like what I've played of it so far and hope more people pick it up.

Top Bottom