• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the Biggest Box Office Bomb of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
New year, new opportunity for obvious flops that studios can't see coming for some reason. Unlike last time I won't talk about the big losers of the previous year, check out the last thread if you want to see how you did or discuss 2016's failures.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1171511&highlight=box+office+bomb

Now on to this year. As always a bomb is a film that makes less than, or barely more than it's budget. A movie can be amazing and be a bomb
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World
just like it can be terrible but be a huge success
Suicide Squad

So to start things off.

Valerian_and_the_City_of_a_Thousand_Planets.jpg

Basically because Monster Trucks is too obvious. I think this film has bomb written all over it. It's even based on a dead property from the 60s and it cost nearly $180 million to make! It just has The Lone Ranger and John Carter style flop written all over it to me.

Ugh, you're probably right about Valerian, that definitely looks like a bomb and that trailer didn't help but I can't help but be excited for it anyway.
Still, I didn't think Lucy would do well either and that wasn't the case. But of course, it had Scarlett Johansson...
And I also second King Arthur. That looks dreadful and a Guy Ritchie / Charlie Dunham combo is pure box-office poison.

I don't see any comic-book movie doing terribly but Justice League might disappoint, I could see it doing slightly under BvS if the reception is negative.

Drifters

To the OP, I like the art style of Valerian but it sounds so Sci-fi generic to actually be any good. I hope I am wrong.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Anything that Sony churn out, barring Spider-Man: Homecoming because Marvel is in the driving seat for that.

Also predicting the Power Ranger movie to bomb as it has no idea what market its trying to aim for and as a result will bomb badly.

I predict Logan to be snore as the trailer just looks boring and really doesn't seem like a superhero movie, I probably won't watch it.

Ashhong

I'm inclined to agree, however this is also from the guy who brought us The Fifth Element, so it might depend on marketing.

"From the director of The Fifth Element" does not have as much of a ring to it as you might think.

Anything that Sony churn out, barring Spider-Man: Homecoming because Marvel is in the driving seat for that.

Also predicting the Power Ranger movie to bomb as it has no idea what market its trying to aim for and as a result will bomb badly.

I predict Logan to be snore as the trailer just looks boring and really doesn't seem like a superhero movie, I probably won't watch it.

Shame on them for not doing your typical superhero movie.

Kasper

I hope you're not right about Valerian, OP. That movie looks like it'll be a ton of fun and I can't wait to see it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Yeah but The Fifth Element also bombed pretty hard.

And then it became a beloved cult classic. That said, they're also tagging it with "from the director of Lucy", which both bombed and was terrible.

I love Fifth Element though, so I'll go see Valerian regardless. There may be enough Fifth Element fans to prevent total bomba.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Good call on Valerian.

It probably won't be a bomb per se, but I feel like the next Pirates of the Caribbean's box office will shrink significantly.

Ghost in the Shell, Monster Trucks and Valerian

I hope Valerian is a success though (if it's something I enjoy), I've been burnt twice coming out of Lone Ranger and John Carter wanting sequels more than the other successful big movies of those years.

Ashhong

And then it became a beloved cult classic. That said, they're also tagging it with "from the director of Lucy", which both bombed and was terrible.

I love Fifth Element though, so I'll go see Valerian regardless. There may be enough Fifth Element fans to prevent total bomba.

I don't remember the numbers but I don't think Lucy bombed.

I wonder if fanboys will "try" to shut down Rottentomatoes again when critics inevitably dislike/hate JL

Also this.

Funny how you call out fanboys while you assume the movie will be inevitably disliked and hated

Lucy didn't bomb, it was just terrible, it made nearly $470 million on a $40 million budget if I remember correctly.

Lucy was a huge success actually.
But I hope you're right about Fifth Element fans. A Luc Besson sci-fi blockbuster is at least garanteed to make some money in Europe but that won't be enough for Valerian considering the budget.

jmdajr

Lucy made money.

Jasoneyu

Didn't lucy make bank vs it's production budget?

edit: whoops got beat out by 3 people

Obviousness be damned, it's Monster Trucks.

It looks like appalling shit, and it's a big-budget family film BEING RELEASED IN JANUARY.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
The Dark Tower
NO!
i refuse to believe elba and mcconaughy cant pull a decent audience.

how did prometheus do at the box office? if the next aliens is a stinker critics wise?

going through a list of 2017 movies on Wikipedia, I'm going to say it will be on the many remakes.
The Six Billion Dollar Man on December 22, along with Jumanji remake and Star Wars the week before, is probably going to get wiped out.
Patient Zero, februari 17, sounds like a winner too.
The Mummy is going to bomb though, but perhaps not as badly as these other two.
Not much to go on though. I suppose I'll say Wonder Woman will not be a big hit, but good enough, and that Power Rangers will be a coin-toss based on early reviews. I doubt it's going to do good though, but it has little competing with it.

I'm going to bet on Six Billion Bucks Dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom