• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EW: The New Mutants details revealed: X-Men franchise goes horror

Matty77

I mean, they're adapting The Demon Bear Saga, which was drawn by Bill Sienkiewicz.

They can't do a faithful adaptation of that without horror.
That's not my issue. I agree with those that want them at the academy as students, not trapped in some lab. The story is already really non-traditional with some potent outdoors scenes in upstate New York, location change kind of destroys certain thematic elements.

Shaanyboi

Banned
That to

They were in the same location and fought Apocalypse, but they had not build up as a team.

'Dark Phoenix' confirmed as next X-Men movie

That's not my issue. I agree with those that want them at the academy as students, not trapped in some lab. The story is already really non-traditional with some potent outdoors scenes in upstate New York, location change kind of destroys certain thematic elements.

You literally know nothing about how this movie will play out.

That to

They were in the same location and fought Apocalypse, but they had not build up as a team.
I mean, you could argue that it was poorly executed but:
Superpowered students
At an academy
Came together
To save the world

That is quite literally what happens. Its not good, but it does include all of those things.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'm not too bothered by this. It's not like the New Mutants' costumes were anything to write home about anyway.

I love the X-Men costumes in the comics, but in the films they clearly aren't superheroes. They only get involved in mutant shit. They aren't trying to inspire people. So wearing gaudy costumes would just be weird.

Now they should be inspiring people, but as they're not...

Prompto

Banned
On one hand, something different is always nice and Fox has been very successful recently with their spin-off X-Men stuff like Logan, Deadpool, and Legion.

On the other hand, this is giving me flashbacks to when Josh Trank kept referring to Fantastic Four as a body horror film.

Shaanyboi

Banned
On one hand, something different is always nice and Fox has been very successful recently with their spin-off X-Men stuff like Logan, Deadpool, and Legion.

On the other hand, this is giving me flashbacks to when Josh Trank kept referring to Fantastic Four as a body horror film.

I mean if you start hearing stories about this director being a massively irresponsible fuck-up on set, then start getting concerned.

overcast

Why not. Might as well try something different. I trust Fox with Xmen even with the spotty track record. Not sure how this will turn out but I definitely believe in it more than Dark Phoenix.

The crying over lack of costumes has gotten tired at this point. I will admit though, that quote is funny given the franchise.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Deadpool, Logan, Legion and now this, Fox might be shitting the bed with FF4 but they're doing some really interesting and out there things with the X-Men.

Glass Rebel

I really don't know why it's so difficult to just give them some fucking costumes. They're comic book movies. People know that. It says X-Men in the title.

As for the rest, he had an interesting life, I guess.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I really don't know why it's so difficult to just give them some fucking costumes. They're comic book movies. People know that. It says X-Men in the title.

As for the rest, he had an interesting life, I guess.

Where? Because every official mention of it simply calls it "The New Mutants"

This isn't that kind of comic book movie. Neither was Logan.

Slayven

My problem with Fox's phoenix is that it is automatically destruction and rampaging. But in the comics there was nice build up and arc where the phoenix is actually corrupted and turned evil.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I love me some MCU and badass costumes but not everything needs to be that, especially when you're the only group of people who are using superheroes in a really unique way. People really liked Logan because not only was it a fucking great film but it was also so different than other superheroes films and it seems like they're trying something completely new again.

brawly

Sounds like something that was decided either on a dare between two executives at dinner or on a wheel of fortune in a staff meeting.

No costumes sucks.

Shaanyboi

Banned
My problem with Fox's phoenix is that it is automatically destruction and rampaging. But in the comics there was nice build up and arc where the phoenix is actually corrupted and turned evil.

No one is arguing about the merits of Fox's Dark Phoenix movie. We don't know how that'll turn out. But when the argument against this movie is "I want to see costumed superheroes become a team and save the world," you aren't presenting much of a hook when that movie already exists in multiple forms, including Dark Phoenix if Apocalypse is any indication. On paper, the differences become superficial at best.

As is, Fox's best efforts are when they're trying to subvert the standard superhero fare, or atleast using it as a jumping-off point towards a more interesting direction.

Almost every movie since First Class has benefited by avoiding just making another standard superhero movie. And the times they fell back into those expectations of superhero genre fare (The Wolverine's final act, and all of X-Men Apocalypse) are when they became their most boring, if not outright bad.

If they want to use these characters and this story to channel a different genre's energy for New Mutants to help distinguish it, it'd only be for the best. It's actually crazy that people are making Fant4stic comparisons when we got Logan, Days of Future Past, and Deadpool from them trying to do something more than just "summer superhero blockbuster". It literally just sounds like people asking for the same thing they've already gotten.

I wasn't remotely interested in this at all but now I'm definitely intrigued

Anya Taylor Joy is basically becoming a new queen of horror at this point

Don't get all the usual moaning about costumes. You get those movies like 4 times a year now. And now also dc is jumping in the hero team game too. This sounds like it could be cool (or it could fall flat too no doubt)

Hope they pull it off. Also seems like we might not get yet another boring over the top finale.

Jarmel

Banned
All of this sounds fine. Legion works somewhat precisely because it's a horror TV show. What this usually boils down to is execution.

Tobor

Fuck. I'm never going to get a good X-Men movie in my lifetime. It's like a curse at this point.

The horror is in reading how Fox is going to fuck up next.

Shaanyboi

Banned
They can't do that without the X-Men license?

Well considering how desperate every one of these major distributors is to capitalize on the licenses they have at their disposal for film, TV, and any other kind of brand synergy they can muster to the point where we have an upcoming Emoji movie and a Krypton series...

I think it's fair to say that's less a matter of "can they" and more a matter of "why would they?" They have the X-Men license. They want to 'build that universe', just like everyone else. Why wouldn't they try to capitalize on it? Why wouldn't they try and launch this movie off the back of a license that already has a pre-existing investment from audiences? And why shouldn't they try to do something creatively daring to make it stand out from everything else out there?

*points to Legion and Logan*

What damage is being done by trying to explore the material beyond the obvious genre tropes you're restricting it to? Especially when in the last year, Fox has managed to achieve 3 of the best things they've done with this license, in addition to their "safest" endeavor which ended up being one of the worst.

Henry Zaga looks rather pale for Sunspot.

Sunspot-Marvel-Comics-New-Mutants-Roberto-da-Costa.jpg

Bernbaum

Satisfied they're going this route. A conventional superhero flick would make the 80's Claremont team seem like X-men Lite.

OG New Mutants weren't a superhero team. Give me full demonic universe Ilyana Rasputin and religious overtones with Rahne.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
I know nothing about The New Mutants. I doubt the mainstream knows anything about them either. Firstly, the choice to use this property is stupid. Maybe the source material is awesome though (Comic Book Fans) can deny or confirm this. BUT, we have a director who seems to want to take the movie in a direction AWAY from the source material? If that's what's happening here, it's BAD.

Glass Rebel

Well considering how desperate every one of these major distributors is to capitalize on the licenses they have at their disposal for film, TV, and any other kind of brand synergy they can muster to the point where we have an upcoming Emoji movie and a Krypton series...

I think it's fair to say that's less a matter of "can they" and more a matter of "why would they?" They have the X-Men license. They want to 'build that universe', just like everyone else. Why wouldn't they try to capitalize on it? Why wouldn't they try and launch this movie off the back of a license that already has a pre-existing investment from audiences? And why shouldn't they try to do something creatively daring to make it stand out from everything else out there?

*points to Legion and Logan*

What damage is being done by trying to explore the material beyond the obvious genre tropes you're restricting it to? Especially when in the last year, Fox has managed to achieve 3 of the best things they've done with this license, in addition to their "safest" endeavor which ended up being one of the worst.

I'm not "restricting" it to anything. I'm asking why they're taking a property that people like and try to take it as far away as possible from what it is? Both Logan and Deadpool were as close to the source material as possible (within reason) and were hugely successful. This seems to be something very different. So my (rhetorical) question is, why not make something different?

I guess I don't care about comics as much as others but I don't care that there's no costumes. The idea of it being a horror movie intrigues me a lot more.

Top Bottom