• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump on trade: "The Germans are bad, very bad"

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The Germans are bad, very bad. Bigly. How dare they manufacture in the US? How are my buddies going to own the whole country if there are some commoners with decent-paying jobs?

Y'all better get ready to burn your german cars(built in america btw.). Only Russian cars will be allowed from 2018

RIP

pcouj.jpg

RPGCrazied

At this point leaders should all unite with one message, remove Trump or we no longer cooperate with the US.

Time to stop this buffoon.

It's all semantics though. There is no difference between bad or evil really in english or in german.

You're not wrong, however, based on context a semi-decent translator would use "schlecht" to translate the merely "very bad" (Die Deutschen sind schlecht, sehr schlecht). But in order to escalate the article, the journalist might have chosen to translate a "very bad" with "böse" (evil) anyway.

Yes, we don't know, but choosing to translate "bad" it with "böse" would have a sensationalist intent, translating it with "schlecht" would be playing it down to (some) degree.

andymcc

Banned
My SO is fluent in German and mentioned this article (from spiegel) well before modbot pulled the other threads.

She said "evil" too. I asked if there was any way she was wrong and she pretty much said only if spiegel was. Lol

RoadHazard

Gold Member
At this point leaders should all unite with one message, remove Trump or we no longer cooperate with the US.

Time to stop this buffoon.

Something like that. He's destroying the trust that's​ been built up for so long. I certainly don't feel like I can trust the US as an ally anymore, and that's very sad.

I feel a bit hurt in my patriotistic pride and I didnt even knew that I have something like this until a few minutes ago lol

Why are you hurt by the comment of an idiot? Your country is the light beacon at the top of the hill. The US in its current state is not something to be proud of.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm going to have to dust off some Bush administration era Canadian flag patches if I plan on going to Europe in the next 10 years or so, aren't I?

Sorry America, I really want to say it's all ok. But your man in the WH is (Even if I agree with the 2% grievance) shitting on 3 generations of alliance. It's actually sad. Genuinely sad

Sorry America, I really want to say it's all ok. But your man in the WH is (Even if I agree with the 2% grievance) shitting on 3 generations of alliance. It's actually sad. Genuinely sad

Whoa whoa whoa. He's not my man. Send him to North Korea or Russia where he can admire other dictators.

just shows how crappy our election system is when 3 million more people vote for the other candidate and he still wins

basically my vote has less weight so to speak (i live on the west coast) compared to joe schmoe in rural america

it's really fucking dumb

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just saw this on Twitter... He called the Saudis good, and we are bad? Cool Story, Donald!

Merkel will just invite Obama again.
Not like this fuckstick would know.

They had a great meeting today at the Evangelischer Kirchentag. She would be down for this :D

Rolfgang

"The bad guys" would still translate to "Die Bösen". It's the context that is key here.

German is always weird like that, with words completely changing with context.

Like, see is lake and mer is sea (which is really weird to hear as a Dutchman), but the North Sea is Nordsee. How does that even work?!

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Like, see is lake and mer is sea (which is really weird to hear as a Dutchman), but the North Sea is Nordsee. How does that even work?!

Its just a Name. You can call a dog "cat" ;)

"Der See"/"Ein See" is a lake, "Die See" is the ocean. Interchangeable with "Das Meer".

Yeah, that's stupid, you're right.

Edit: Similarly it's "Die Nordsee" and not "Der Nordsee" as it's part of the ocean

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the gif floating around of Trump shoving someone aside so he can be front and center, that cant be real right?

Surely?

I dont know how to embed from twitter, its on J.K Rowling's twitter.

Anticol

Banned
Just saw this on Twitter... He called the Saudis good, and we are bad? Cool Story, Donald!

They had a great meeting today at the Evangelischer Kirchentag. She would be down for this :D

He probably thinks he is the saviour and a gift to the world too. He is the actual perfect representation of the US as much as american try to say he is not.

Tovarisc

Well he did make huge point about how he didn't come to SA to lecture to them and then did all kinds of ass kissing. What he did in Germany? Lecture NATO leaders, shake them for money and then call Germans bad.

Because the names derivates from Low German, something you should like as a Dutchman.

Top Bottom