• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame "Demake" Art

j.rob

ari_metroid_zps109c5e2c.gif

New Metroid game

Its....so....I can't.

revEvvO.gif

Nintendo plz.

Is there a site where i could get hi res "demake" art to print out? Or maybe order some as posters? Must have an option to ship to Poland.

Easiest way is probably making a new document in photoshop with a DPI of at least 300. Then just paste whatever you want in, Ctrl+T, set resizing mode to Nearest Neighbor and blow up to whatever size you want.

Endo Punk

Now that version of Bayonetta I'd support over the actual one. And retro MGR looks amazing. Wish developers made retro versions of their games as unlockable content.

junkboy

Explosion Master Supreme
I really hate the pictures with the aspect ration portrait rather than landscape because it makes me think of all those shitty mobile phone games before Android and iOS. Like, no matter how cool the picture looks or how well done it is I just instantly think of those and assume that what-if version is complete and utter shit to play.

I hear ya. Most of my demakes posted here were made for a gaming mag, and they obviously preferred images in portrait so they could go on one page, rather than a spread. I thought it was fine for some of them, like the RE5 one, where the arcade version of MERCS (also by Capcom) was played on a vertical screen.

Also I can't believe people keep discovering this stuff, years after the fact. Cool though, very flattering!

This thread is cyclic. Ive seen rhe majority of this although some of them are new to me and they look as awesome as the old images.

But then I see this...
The Twelve Tasks of Astérix
JBj4XX4.png

Holy mother of god. My favourite asterix story turned into a game!!! I need this in my life!
The hotel section would be pretty difficult in a lucas arts style adventure game

eso76

I really hate the pictures with the aspect ration portrait rather than landscape because it makes me think of all those shitty mobile phone games before Android and iOS. Like, no matter how cool the picture looks or how well done it is I just instantly think of those and assume that what-if version is complete and utter shit to play.

You mustn't have played many arcade games I guess.

Malreyn

still demake art.

Technically correct, but the OP posted shots of games as concepts of how they would appear as a 8/16/32 bit game, which look and play fundamentally different from the the original...The thing with VF is that sega made a demake of their own.

The only other actual demake I can think of is BAttle arena Toshinden on the gameboy. But then we get into the area of games that got Demake ports to portable/mobile/etc...or Nes ports of arcade games like TMNT2 the arcade game

terrisus

There aren't a lot of games today, indy or otherwise, that go for an evolved 16bit look, are there? Most indy retro games seem to use 8bit or an amiga esque look.

Ι'd say most go for a "newgrounds flash" look. Which i hate so much.

Yeah, it's so disappointing how, of the few 2D games that we do get now, so many of them are done in such a horrible art style.

terrisus

...and yet they bring us:

Souls series
Vanquish
Bayonetta
Super Mario Galaxy
Metal Gear Solid 3
Resident Evil 4
Metroid Prime
and many, many other great 3d games....

3d isn't bad at all, when it's done properly, at least since 6th generation.
Still, 2d looks and always will be looking great :p
It's just another /not BETTER or WORSE/ form of art in gaming

No interest
No interest
No interest
Significantly inferior to the 2D games (and to Mario 64 as well)
No interest (although I didn't really care much for the 2D ones either)
No interest
No interest, and significantly inferior to the 2D games

Not a very compelling case for 3D there...

Toxi

Banned
No interest
No interest
No interest
No interest (although I didn't really care much for the 2D ones either)
No interest
No interest, and significantly inferior to the 2D games

Not a very compelling case for 3D there...
Nothing's a compelling case for 3D for you because you think of 3D itself as some sort of crippling flaw.

Although I find it strange you think Mario 64 is the only decent 3D Mario when it's the least like the 2D games.

onilink88

...The fuck is this?

For the sake of being on topic (not mine), Xenoblade x Final Fantasy VI:
ibuxOhjmMTE7P7.png

Description from the creator:
Blue-Cup said:
Xenoblade as if it had appeared on the Super Nintendo.

I went with the Magitek Armor not only because it was a mech, but because Xenoblades director Tetsuya Takahashi also designed it when he was working at Squaresoft during the 90s.

The background and Magitek Armor sprite are only rips, everything else is completely custom.

terrisus

Nothing's a compelling case for 3D for you because you think of 3D itself as some sort of crippling flaw.

Although I find it strange you think Mario 64 is the only decent 3D Mario when it's the least like the 2D games.

Well, hey, at least I wasn't the one who said this:

This thread is making me think irrational thoughts like "3D is the worst thing to ever happen to video games."

And, there are a number of 3D games that I like as well.
It's just a real shame that 2D gaming has been neglected so much.

Toxi

Banned
Of course it doesn't apply to every company, and there have certainly been some fantastic 3D games that would not have been the same (or even possible) in 2D. But as great as Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime are, they don't play like, and aren't in the same genre as, their SNES counterparts. And though it has taken a few years, Nintendo finally seems to realize this... so there is some hope, however small, of a 2D Metroid for Wii-U or 3DS.
How? The last Metroid game was a cutscene-bloated linear 3D action title.

Malreyn

Oh man this looks like a Newgrounds Flash game/movie to me, not sure what people see in this.

People want a new Metroid game in HD hand drawn art instead of sprites or polygons...of course that would probably be as divisive as Other M being 2d esque from Primes 3d FPS

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Technically correct, but the OP posted shots of games as concepts of how they would appear as a 8/16/32 bit game, which look and play fundamentally different from the the original...The thing with VF is that sega made a demake of their own.

The only other actual demake I can think of is BAttle arena Toshinden on the gameboy. But then we get into the area of games that got Demake ports to portable/mobile/etc...or Nes ports of arcade games like TMNT2 the arcade game
and yet people are posting SFIV with 3 series sprites. VF4 in 2D would be more fundamentally different than that.

Toxi

Banned
People want a new Metroid game in HD hand drawn art instead of sprites or polygons...of course that would probably be as divisive as Other M being 2d esque from Primes 3d FPS
Nothing about Other M is 2D-esque other than the enemy design and plot being ripped off from Fusion.

God I would kill for a 2D Metroidvania combo heavy Devil May Cry. I mean Devil May Cry already feels like a modern day Castlevania as it is IMO.

I'd kill for a new Metroidvania Castlevania similar to SotN, but with sprites and backgrounds up to par with THIS:

Awesome thread idea.

Here's the Dark Souls one OP is talking about.

super_londo_bros_by_cyangmou-d6gse03.png

And here's the artists.

That's a Prime Space Pirate. Everything else is Other M though.
Hell, I kill for MORE sprite based games with graphics like this.

Top Bottom